• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Global Warming & Climate Change: The Phenomenon

If the ice caps melt then the sea levels will rise and a lot of land will be underwater. But won't a lot of land be freed from the ice? Won't that land also "spring" up as the weight of ice lifts. Therefore will we have as much land as we had before albeit perhaps not fertile and suffering Winter/Summer day length issues? All I see are maps showing the flooding but not Antarctica, Greenland, Siberia, Canada without the ice. I suppose the equatorial regions above water may be too hot but what will the ratio of lost to new land be?
During the last ice age Scotland, like much of northern Europe, was covered with ice. The weight of this huge compacted ice sheet pushed the Earth’s crust down, causing the land levels to sink. Over the 14,000 years since the ice sheet melted, Scotland has been rising an average rate of 1-2mm per year.

from https://www.gla.ac.uk/news/archiveofnews/2013/december/headline_298156_en.html

It doesn't look as though the land will rise quickly enough to cancel out the effects of the flooding caused by melting ice.

Climate scientist Michael Mann wins more than $1 million in a defamation lawsuit.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/09/media/michael-mann-national-review-climate-defamation/index.html

"A jury has awarded climate scientist Michael Mann more than $1 million in a defamation lawsuit he brought against a former scholar and a media personality who lampooned Mann’s work.

The legal battle has been ongoing for more than a decade. Mann initially filed a lawsuit in 2012, after Rand Simberg, a former scholar for the Competitive Enterprise Institute, and Mark Steyn, a TV and radio personality who wrote for the National Review, wrote blog posts ridiculing Mann’s scientific research that warned of rising temperatures, and compared him to Jerry Sandusky, the former Pennsylvania State football coach who was convicted of child molestation."

Isn't Northern Scotland still rising - incredibly slightly as a result of the ice from the last Ice Age melting?

Yep. Google “raised beaches” to see images of numerous former seashores, now many feet above current sea level:

4824944006_ea69cc7f98_z.jpg

maximus otter

I’ve been reading articles like this in proper newspapers since the seventies. Ice Age predicted by 2000 clearly never happened. Then I’ve been told I was going to be boiled in my skin like a Black Pudding by now. Which is it?
This is why Global Warming has been renamed ‘Climate Change’ as this allows alarmist narrative to be promoted whether it’s too warm, too wet or too cold.

I’ve been reading articles like this in proper newspapers since the seventies. Ice Age predicted by 2000 clearly never happened. Then I’ve been told I was going to be boiled in my skin like a Black Pudding by now. Which is it?
This is why Global Warming has been renamed ‘Climate Change’ as this allows alarmist narrative to be promoted whether it’s too warm, too wet or too cold.

Just you wait until the polar bears come knocking at your door or maybe sea lions or land lions.

Didn't you get the memo?
1708018816373.png

Yep. Google “raised beaches” to see images of numerous former seashores, now many feet above current sea level:

4824944006_ea69cc7f98_z.jpg

maximus otter
There's a fisherman's cottage in Blackpool that in time passed was right on the shore but is now
1 and a half miles inland.

Why we should not eat the bugs to 'save the planet':

Should do wonders for the obesity epidemic:

Farmers warn food aisles will soon be empty because of crushing conditions: 'We are not in a good position'​

https://www.yahoo.com/news/farmers-...pMHIlljpiYa95VepY1asy3pH6JMJ-5c7stmOv4eJCaK_U
What is studiously avoided is the fact that food checks on imports has more of an impact than climate change. On a national scale, we've never been able to be self-sufficient in the foods that the public want. And they only want it at a low price offered by supermarkets.

What is studiously avoided is the fact that food checks on imports has more of an impact than climate change. On a national scale, we've never been able to be self-sufficient in the foods that the public want. And they only want it at a low price offered by supermarkets.

Anecdotally, relating to harvests (and possibly not import duty) I've noticed a lack of dried beans in super markets, asked one member of staff where they were. She turned out to be a manager, struggled to find them herself - tiny amount, one bottom shelf in a large Sainsburys. She looked on the store intranet - the message indicated either a change of packaging, which happens from time to time or an actual lack. She thought it was the latter and cited the poor harvests as the cause.

Anecdotally, relating to harvests (and possibly not import duty) I've noticed a lack of dried beans in super markets, asked one member of staff where they were. She turned out to be a manager, struggled to find them herself - tiny amount, one bottom shelf in a large Sainsburys. She looked on the store intranet - the message indicated either a change of packaging, which happens from time to time or an actual lack. She thought it was the latter and cited the poor harvests as the cause.
Your post has reminded me of my shopping trip yesterday. On my list was plain Hot Cross Buns but I couldn't see any. I spotted a shelf-filler woman and asked her when the next lot would be in, she looked it up on her in-store mobile gadget and said "we had five packs (x4 in a pack) delivered yesterday, but they 'all' went soon after being displayed, we'll have more in tomorrow though." Five ordered in a large Supermarket to supply thousands of customers daily! Just nuts!

Your post has reminded me of my shopping trip yesterday. On my list was plain Hot Cross Buns but I couldn't see any. I spotted a shelf-filler woman and asked her when the next lot would be in, she looked it up on her in-store mobile gadget and said "we had five packs (of x4) delivered yesterday, but they 'all' went soon after being displayed, we'll have more in tomorrow though." Five ordered in a large Supermarket to supply thousands of customers daily! Just nuts!

Are they available all year around? I thought they were just Easter and the preceding months?

That said, I saw freshly baked mince pies in a Sainsburys in early March this year.

Are they available all year around? I thought they were just Easter and the preceding months?

That said, I saw freshly baked mince pies in a Sainsburys in early March this year.
Funny you should ask that question 'Ogdred,' yes, I happened to ask the assistant the same question, as I thought that possibly they might only keep them in-store for a certain amount of time after Easter, but no, apparently they supply them all year round these days, as they are usually always high in demand now - not a seasonal item anymore.
re: Mince Pies, on occasion ~ I only bake my own . . . far nicer! :yeahthat:

Last edited:
Back