• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Hat Man & The Peeper

Clear Light

Junior Acolyte
I thought I'd share some experiences of "shadow people" encounters that occurred in my old family home. My grandparents had moved into the house in the late 1920s just after my father was born, and 33 years later I arrived into the world. Around six months later my grandfather passed away in the house after a long illness, leaving just my father, mother, grandmother and me until my brother was born a couple of years later. My folks had one bedroom and my nan had the other, while my brother and I slept in the box room. One night we had been put to bed and the boxroom door was left open so the light from the landing half illuminated the room. Laying in bed I became aware of a shadow moving across the wall at the bottom of my bed, a shadow of a figure wearing a hat. When it reached the middle of the wall, it stopped. At first, I thought it was one of my uncles checking in on us and expected them to appear in the doorway, but no. The shadow lingered for a while but then just seemed to fade away. Frightened, I ducked under the covers and dared not look to see if the shadow had returned. I remember seeing this shadow on a couple of other occasions, and in my childhood mind came up with the explanation that it was the spirit of my dead granddad checking in on me and my brother. Even so, I lived in fear of seeing that shadow and for many years after slept with my head sandwiched between two pillows in an attempt to avoid it. I tried to tell my parents about this terrifying shadow, but they just brushed it off as childish imagination. Then, a few years ago I was chatting with my brother and, out of the blue he said, "Do you remember the shadow in our bedroom?" I was a little shocked as I had assumed he was too young at the time to have registered it, but he described the entity exactly as I remembered it.

Fast forward half a century or so and I found myself living alone in the old family home, both my parents had died by this point and I was in the process of selling the place. During this time I would regularly see in the periphery of my vision a dark shadowy head peering around an open door. Of course, as soon as I looked directly at it, the shadow would duck back behind the door, only to resume peeping at me a short while later. This would happen in broad daylight and after dark, so I started to make sure to close the door so there would be nothing for the shadow to peep around to look at me. The house sold soon after, and I often wonder if the current residents ever encounter shadowy visitors.

I'm sure there are entirely reasonable explanations for these visual anomalies, but I was surprised to learn that reports of the Hat Man have been a relatively recent phenomenon, first surfacing in the late 1990s or 2000s, but it would appear that he's been lurking in the shadows for a while longer than that judging from my childhood encounters in the mid-1960s.

It was a brimmed hat, tilted to one side. It must have made a deep impression on my young mind as, for years afterwards, I was petrified of the Sandeman Port man in TV ads and the giant-sized advert of the figure painted on a building next to the railway line on the approach to Waterloo station filled me with fear every time we passed by on the train.

1715600328376.png

It was a brimmed hat, tilted to one side. It must have made a deep impression on my young mind as, for years afterwards, I was petrified of the Sandeman Port man in TV ads and the giant-sized advert of the figure painted on a building next to the railway line on the approach to Waterloo station filled me with fear every time we passed by on the train.

View attachment 76742
Intriguing account!

As you say, the Hat Man is a relatively recent internet phenomenon but the fact the man is dressed that way on the port bottle reminds us this is how certain people used to dress in the past

Would love to know an approximate location for the house

Last edited:
Intriguing account!

As you say, the Hat Man is a relatively recent internet phenomenon but the fact the man is dressed that way on the port bottle reminds us this is how certain people used to dress in the past

Would love to know an approximate location for the house
146 Burns Avenue, Feltham, Middlesex.

A Feltham case from 2007 and about a mile away:

Hooded Figures​

Location: Outer London: Feltham - Disused building along Elmwood Avenue
Type: Haunting Manifestation
Date / Time: Various days, 2007, around 06:45h
Further Comments: Moving at a fast pace, two hooded figures resembling monks were seen walking through a closed door of a disused building. The witness approached the door and realised it had not been opened for quite a while, as the grass that had grown around the base of the doorframe had not been disturbed.

https://www.paranormaldatabase.com/...hp?pageNum_paradata=12&totalRows_paradata=459

A Feltham case from 2007 and about a mile away:

Hooded Figures​

Location: Outer London: Feltham - Disused building along Elmwood Avenue
Type: Haunting Manifestation
Date / Time: Various days, 2007, around 06:45h
Further Comments: Moving at a fast pace, two hooded figures resembling monks were seen walking through a closed door of a disused building. The witness approached the door and realised it had not been opened for quite a while, as the grass that had grown around the base of the doorframe had not been disturbed.

https://www.paranormaldatabase.com/...hp?pageNum_paradata=12&totalRows_paradata=459
https://www.spookyisles.com/feltham-haunted-places/

Just shows how a local researcher can uncover all manner of paranormal goings-on

This one was sad and yet compelling:

Phantom Motorcyclist of Feltham​

The traffic light junction at Feltham Park is notorious for motor accidents, especially involving motor cycles. The ghost of a young man who was killed after jumping a red light whilst riding a motorbike in 1987 is still seen and most often heard, at this junction. It begins as a roar of a motorcycle engine heading from Hanworth and ending with a spine chilling crash at the junction, whereupon the sights and sounds of the crash fade. This ghost was last heard in July 2017

I had family living in Feltham for many years. My grandparents lived within walking distance of the Old Manor.
The Manor has changed hands and uses over the years. It was once the UK headquarters of Chubb locks.
My Grandma never mentioned any ghost stories about the place. When she was retired, she did a bit of cleaning work at various sites around the town. So she'd spend some time in these places alone. One of the places where she was a cleaner was the old MOD mapping intelligence centre, and another was a place where animal experiments took place. She did say both were spooky places, but didn't mention any ghosts.
The animal testing lab was the worst. She went in one day at the crack of dawn, went in the lab and was overcome by the smell of dead animals. She woke up to find the lab's senior manager standing over her looking concerned, and she had to go outside to throw up. Not a nice place!

Just shows how a local researcher can uncover all manner of paranormal goings-on

This one was sad and yet compelling:

Phantom Motorcyclist of Feltham​

The traffic light junction at Feltham Park is notorious for motor accidents, especially involving motor cycles. The ghost of a young man who was killed after jumping a red light whilst riding a motorbike in 1987 is still seen and most often heard, at this junction. It begins as a roar of a motorcycle engine heading from Hanworth and ending with a spine chilling crash at the junction, whereupon the sights and sounds of the crash fade. This ghost was last heard in July 2017

That junction has been the site of many fatalities.

I had family living in Feltham for many years. My grandparents lived within walking distance of the Old Manor.
The Manor has changed hands and uses over the years. It was once the UK headquarters of Chubb locks.
My Grandma never mentioned any ghost stories about the place. When she was retired, she did a bit of cleaning work at various sites around the town. So she'd spend some time in these places alone. One of the places where she was a cleaner was the old MOD mapping intelligence centre, and another was a place where animal experiments took place. She did say both were spooky places, but didn't mention any ghosts.
The animal testing lab was the worst. She went in one day at the crack of dawn, went in the lab and was overcome by the smell of dead animals. She woke up to find the lab's senior manager standing over her looking concerned, and she had to go outside to throw up. Not a nice place!
I lived in Feltham for over sixty years and was unaware of any animal testing labs in the vicinity, and I associated with many animal rights activists in the area. Humans are despicable.

I thought I'd share some experiences of "shadow people" encounters that occurred in my old family home. My grandparents had moved into the house in the late 1920s just after my father was born, and 33 years later I arrived into the world. Around six months later my grandfather passed away in the house after a long illness, leaving just my father, mother, grandmother and me until my brother was born a couple of years later. My folks had one bedroom and my nan had the other, while my brother and I slept in the box room. One night we had been put to bed and the boxroom door was left open so the light from the landing half illuminated the room. Laying in bed I became aware of a shadow moving across the wall at the bottom of my bed, a shadow of a figure wearing a hat. When it reached the middle of the wall, it stopped. At first, I thought it was one of my uncles checking in on us and expected them to appear in the doorway, but no. The shadow lingered for a while but then just seemed to fade away. Frightened, I ducked under the covers and dared not look to see if the shadow had returned. I remember seeing this shadow on a couple of other occasions, and in my childhood mind came up with the explanation that it was the spirit of my dead granddad checking in on me and my brother. Even so, I lived in fear of seeing that shadow and for many years after slept with my head sandwiched between two pillows in an attempt to avoid it. I tried to tell my parents about this terrifying shadow, but they just brushed it off as childish imagination. Then, a few years ago I was chatting with my brother and, out of the blue he said, "Do you remember the shadow in our bedroom?" I was a little shocked as I had assumed he was too young at the time to have registered it, but he described the entity exactly as I remembered it.

Fast forward half a century or so and I found myself living alone in the old family home, both my parents had died by this point and I was in the process of selling the place. During this time I would regularly see in the periphery of my vision a dark shadowy head peering around an open door. Of course, as soon as I looked directly at it, the shadow would duck back behind the door, only to resume peeping at me a short while later. This would happen in broad daylight and after dark, so I started to make sure to close the door so there would be nothing for the shadow to peep around to look at me. The house sold soon after, and I often wonder if the current residents ever encounter shadowy visitors.

I'm sure there are entirely reasonable explanations for these visual anomalies, but I was surprised to learn that reports of the Hat Man have been a relatively recent phenomenon, first surfacing in the late 1990s or 2000s, but it would appear that he's been lurking in the shadows for a while longer than that judging from my childhood encounters in the mid-1960s.
I always wonder when I read things like this, whether the people who bought the house had any experiences...

I pass my (very) haunted childhood home once or twice a week (after living at the other side of the world for some time and then 20 years in another county, where I'd go years without seeing it). And I never fail to have this urge to knock on the door and ask...

It was up for sale recently and I did the virtual online tour of my childhood home - that like your's had been my grandad's house, before it was my parents' - and not a single room, or even what's left of the garden, was recognisable. It was so heavily remodelled and if there was two things that made that thing active it was (1) Any major changes to the house (2) strangers being there overnight...

I lived in Feltham for over sixty years and was unaware of any animal testing labs in the vicinity, and I associated with many animal rights activists in the area. Humans are despicable.
I'm not clear on details, but I think it was a place where they were testing weedkiller or insecticide. She ditched that job after that episode.

I wonder if that's because this is when men regularly stopped wearing hats? And therefore a sighting of a 'hatted shadow' could no longer be put down to just the silhouette of a normally dressed man?

Back