• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

IP Address Banned?

(Posting from the San Francisco Public Library)
My IP address has been banned for the last month; I tried to log in numerous times only to get a screen that said "UH-OH, WE'VE RUN INTO A PROBLEM"or words to that effect. I'd like to be un-banned if that's possible. Since I can't access the Forums from home, and someone's in line for this terminal in a few minutes, I'm asking for any advice or instructions re: getting back on the Forteana Forums to please be sent to my email, XXXXXXXXX. Thank you!

I will attempt to deal with this and get back to you. Email addresss noted and removed.

Sorry you've had this trouble.

I seemed to experience the IP Address Banned whenever I was not on WiFi with my previous mobile provider (Vodafone). Since moving to EE the problem doesn’t seem so bad.
Can the phone provider have an impact?

I seemed to experience the IP Address Banned whenever I was not on WiFi with my previous mobile provider (Vodafone). Since moving to EE the problem doesn’t seem so bad.
Can the phone provider have an impact?

Yes, it certainly can.

Some mobile providers reassign ip addresses very often and this sets our security off badly because it looks as if one user is appearing from multiple locations across a short span of time.

It's very difficult for us to ameliorate the situation, unfortunately.

I still get it often,
what I don't understand is why I never have the same problem on any other site.
my carrier is Vodaphone by the way.

I get this very often, and not only with my home connection. Even using a VPN that has worked previously will occasionally be banned.

It is totally attached to the IP address and internet providers seem to change often. Even when I have a very brief electrical outage at home, often it triggers the "address banned" and I have to change IP addresses (through VPN) to access the forum.

I've usually had to temporarily disable VPN to get on. But on occasion forgot and sometimes it lets me straight on, sometimes it doesn't so it picks up some IPs and not others?

wed 12/13/2023
18:33
My IP address is still banned, hence I am posting from the library again to inform the Fortean folks that the reason I've not posted recently is that my IP address is still banned. According to my partner, who knows much more about computers and the Internet than I do, the reason for this is probably because one of the hundreds of people sharing that IP address was scamming or spamming somewhere, and got reported for that, and so the whole IP address has been blacklisted. Whatever the reason for it was, I am bummed out and pissed off about being cut off from these Forums, but hoping the issue can be resolved some time soon. I still live!

I'll probably be back at the library the day after tomorrow (saturday 12/15) in the afternoon to check my alerts.

Last edited:
wed 12/13/2023
18:33
My IP address is still banned, hence I am posting from the library again to inform the Fortean folks that the reason I've not posted recently is that my IP address is still banned. According to my partner, who knows much more about computers and the Internet than I do, the reason for this is probably because one of the hundreds of people sharing that IP address was scamming or spamming somewhere, and got reported for that, and so the whole IP address has been blacklisted. Whatever the reason for it was, I am bummed out and pissed off about being cut off from these Forums, but hoping the issue can be resolved some time soon. I still live!

I'll probably be back at the library the day after tomorrow (saturday 12/15) in the afternoon to check my alerts.

This is bad and I apologise.

The problem is that I have over 1,400 pages of banned i.p. addresses that are sortable but not searchable and my attempts to discover your 'home' address (by checking the log of all your visits here) have failed (the Public Library ones are easy to identify).

What I need is for you to note the exact time, date and timezone that you attempt to access the board but get the 'banned' message. With that I can check the traffic logs and see the i.p. address that attempted access at that time and (hopefully) find it on that long ban list.

Your partner is correct about the likely reason your i.p. address would be blacklisted—the vast majority of these bans are autocreated and not the products of direct action from moderators.

I hope we can get you back through the door.

I also find that I wrote to you with similar advice at the email address you posted on this thread on 18 October, but I received no reply.

I get this when I try to log in from my office. I sometimes like to have a browse over a lunch time sandwich but lately I get the blocked IP address problem. I work for a big scientific publisher so the conspiracist in me assumes this is so I won't be allowed to debunk some of the more 'woo' posts. I'm sure there is a more prosaic reason!

I get this when I try to log in from my office. I sometimes like to have a browse over a lunch time sandwich but lately I get the blocked IP address problem. I work for a big scientific publisher so the conspiracist in me assumes this is so I won't be allowed to debunk some of the more 'woo' posts. I'm sure there is a more prosaic reason!

If you wish to try to resolve this, please follow the advice I gave above and contact me.

For those of you who run into this problem, as I do, having VPN's does solve it most of the time. And if one VPN doesn't work, try another. Not every address will work, but usually you'll find one.

This is bad and I apologise.

The problem is that I have over 1,400 pages of banned i.p. addresses that are sortable but not searchable and my attempts to discover your 'home' address (by checking the log of all your visits here) have failed (the Public Library ones are easy to identify).

What I need is for you to note the exact time, date and timezone that you attempt to access the board but get the 'banned' message. With that I can check the traffic logs and see the i.p. address that attempted access at that time and (hopefully) find it on that long ban list.

Your partner is correct about the likely reason your i.p. address would be blacklisted—the vast majority of these bans are autocreated and not the products of direct action from moderators.

I hope we can get you back through the door.
wed 01/16/24
16:55PM
San Francisco Public Library
SFCAUSA

Hello and happy New Year, Forteans. As you may have noticed, I haven't gotten past the damned IP BANNED issue yet. I need to apologize to Yithian specifically for not responding any sooner than now to the most kindly offer to help; all i can say on my own behalf is that I was out of town and away from keyboard for some of the elapsed time. If you are reading this message and willing to try again, Senor Yithian, i'd attend to and comply with your instructions promptly and assiduously (I know that's a word, but i'm not sure it's the RIGHT word) when i am at home as i will be shortly. I miss this forum!

Otherwise, nothing particularly paranormal, occult, questionable, weird, or even mysterious has been occurring in or around my life recently, thus I have nothing of relevant interest to report. That could change at the spur of any moment, of course.

Hoping to be back to amuse, annoy, and awe you all again pretty soon,
El Schmuckso DeLuxo

wed 01/16/24
16:55PM
San Francisco Public Library
SFCAUSA

Hello and happy New Year, Forteans. As you may have noticed, I haven't gotten past the damned IP BANNED issue yet. I need to apologize to Yithian specifically for not responding any sooner than now to the most kindly offer to help; all i can say on my own behalf is that I was out of town and away from keyboard for some of the elapsed time. If you are reading this message and willing to try again, Senor Yithian, i'd attend to and comply with your instructions promptly and assiduously (I know that's a word, but i'm not sure it's the RIGHT word) when i am at home as i will be shortly. I miss this forum!

Otherwise, nothing particularly paranormal, occult, questionable, weird, or even mysterious has been occurring in or around my life recently, thus I have nothing of relevant interest to report. That could change at the spur of any moment, of course.

Hoping to be back to amuse, annoy, and awe you all again pretty soon,
El Schmuckso DeLuxo

I would suggest you pm him. You need to privately send him the details of your IP address and your internet provider along with the other info Yith requested.

If you only have access from, for example, the library, then Yith can also send you his email details that you can use when you do get banned. That way, you don't have to wait until you have a direct connection to the forum to work on your problem.

A conversation with @genex17 over an apparent ip-ban that we could not solve has thrown up this, which may help Firefox Users:

Firefox Preferences > Privacy and Security > DNS over HTTPS​

"Domain Name System (DNS) over HTTPS sends your request for a domain name through an encrypted connection, providing a secure DNS and making it harder for others to see which website you’re about to access."

Users may turn this off entirely or under 'Manage Exceptions' and add forums.forteana.org to the exceptions list.

A conversation with @genex17 over an apparent ip-ban that we could not solve has thrown up this, which may help Firefox Users:

Firefox Preferences > Privacy and Security > DNS over HTTPS
"Domain Name System (DNS) over HTTPS sends your request for a domain name through an encrypted connection, providing a secure DNS and making it harder for others to see which website you’re about to access."
Users may turn this off entirely or under 'Manage Exceptions' and add forums.forteana.org to the exceptions list.
I just copied that message to my desktop so I could try doing it on my laptop when i'm at home and can get my ol' man to help me do it, because he's the tech understander in our house. I'll even go back to using Firefox.
You (hopefully) haven't seen the last of me yet.

Back