• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

It Came From The Cathode Ray Tube (Weird TV Incidents)

The story further up about an HSBC advert from the future reminds me of someone who was watching Corrie in his hotel room in 1993 when it was interupted by "the first ever time-travel broadcast" Does anyone remember that story or any like them?

baza270577 said:
The story further up about an HSBC advert from the future reminds me of someone who was watching Corrie in his hotel room in 1993 when it was interupted by "the first ever time-travel broadcast" Does anyone remember that story or any like them?

Yeah, I think it was established that was an actual advert, though nobody seems to recall what was selling!

gncxx said:
baza270577 said:

Yeah, I think it was established that was an actual advert, though nobody seems to recall what was selling!

It was selling first directs.

http://www.campaignlive.co.uk/news/1032 ... rs-launch/

It was shown on their launch date in 1989 but broadcast as if celebrating 21 years in the futuristic 2010.
A video of the collapse of Northern Rock would've been more apt, rather than a Blade Runneresque hologram demonstration.

I seem to recall early 90s, watching a local news programme (UTV Live at 6), and it briefly cut to a cartoon picture of a cyclops going "aaarrgghhh" before cutting back to the news (which was some politician or something). Noone referenced it, no apology for technical difficulties etc.
Left me wondering was it a TV pirate showing what they could do? Or was the ITV network watching a cartoon film, and someone accidentally flipped to that feed? Strange.

That rings a bell, sirwiggum. Very odd.

sirwiggum said:
I seem to recall early 90s, watching a local news programme (UTV Live at 6), and it briefly cut to a cartoon picture of a cyclops going "aaarrgghhh" before cutting back to the news (which was some politician or something). Noone referenced it, no apology for technical difficulties etc.
Left me wondering was it a TV pirate showing what they could do? Or was the ITV network watching a cartoon film, and someone accidentally flipped to that feed? Strange.

Probably someone accidentally throwing the wrong switch - I was watching Mastermind a few weeks ago and in the second half got interrupted by a minute of Eastenders on the other channel! Happened to my friend, too, so it must have been nationwide.

Thanks for the link.

That was weird and seemed obscure and pointless. Almost as if the perpetrator just did it for the 'newspaper nerds' to report about - i.e. just for the notoriety.

Mythopoeika said:
Thanks for the link.

That was weird and seemed obscure and pointless. Almost as if the perpetrator just did it for the 'newspaper nerds' to report about - i.e. just for the notoriety.
These days, it's called, performance art. Taken on that level, quite a good example.

Taped right in the middle of Horror of Fang Rock, too.

:lol:

The Max Headroom hack is a classic of the "art", the British equivalent is the Southern TV one of the 1970s where "aliens" broadcast a message for the world (also on this thread).

I especially liked the bare-bottomed spanking. :lol: Timing it with a news broadcast is just priceless.

A letter which appeared in the long-defunct British monthly magazine, Practical Television, dated October, 1956:

"STRANGE SIGNAL PICK-UP: Sir, Perhaps you could hazard a guess as to the reason of the following phenomenon. A friend of mine who built himself a Band III television convertor was trimming same when, for some reason, he says he received quite plainly the "speaking clock". At first I did not believe him but eventually I was convinced he was speaking the truth and not pulling my leg. He says it was quite distinct but superimposed on the sound.

I asked him had he a telephone and the answer was no. The nearest telephone was some distance away on the other side of the street. - Anthony Maguire (Birkenhead)."

The following issue (November 1956) contained a follow-up letter from a J.K. Sims of Barnet:

"Sir - Seeing the letter from Mr Maguire, I should like to report that I also have had some peculiar signals from time to time on my television receiver. I have heard faint snatches of conversation behind the broadcast, but never loud enough to be able to distinguish what was being said. I have often switched on during periods of no transmission, but the set is then perfectly quiet. the background is not radio or television signals, I am sure, as the conversation always appears to be between two people, and I have never heard music or singing. I might add that I have no telephone, and there is no phone near my house. Is it possible to hear neighbours through coupling between aerials, I wonder?"

A correspondent writing in a later issue of the same magazine appears to solve the mystery by suggesting the 'conversations' may be American or Canadian broadcasts bouncing off the Earth's ionosphere (Sporadic E Propagation). He points out that he experienced similar phenomenon around sunset on 13th October 1956 when E layer activity was at its peak.

I wonder if there's a modern equivalent? Has anyone ever heard a mobile phone conversation through their Smart TV?

You would have thought that the modern wi-fi era would have thrown up hundreds (if not thousands) of weird and wonderful examples of interference but this doesn't appear to be the case. There are plenty of examples of loss of wi-fi connection due to other devices (including wireless doorbells!) but I'm not aware of anything truly strange being picked up on modern devices.

Which raises a question around the 1950s examples I posted; were they the result of Sporadic E as suggested or the product of Cold-War era paranoia, two frightened individuals convincing themselves that their television sets were actually 'talking' to them?

Alternatively, If we want another explanation for these events we might look no further than a fictional example from a classic TV show of yesteryear. A 1964 episode of the Twilight Zone (the Leather Jackets) has a family experiencing TV interference and "weird voices" cutting into radio transmissions after a group of aliens disguised as leather jacket-wearing bikers move in next door. So, perhaps, just perhaps....

gncxx said:
From Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast_signal_intrusion

On January 3, 2007 in Australia, during a broadcast of an episode of the Canadian television series Mayday on the Seven Network, an audio loop unexpectedly started playing, clearly saying in an American accent, “Jesus Christ, help us all, Lord”. This same voice message continued to repeat itself over and over during the show for a total of six minutes. A spokesman for Seven later denied that the transmission was a prank or a security breach and claimed that the repeated line was actually part of the original broadcast and said, “Jesus Christ one of the Nazarenes”, although there is hardly any similarity between the two phrases. Subsequent investigation by independent researchers revealed that the invading transmission was actually from a video taped news broadcast of a civilian truck being ambushed in Iraq. It remains unknown whether or not this was an intentional act of television piracy or a genuine glitch of some sort.

Here's a clip of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzwQotiDXAc&NR=1

I was looking about for info on the new Max Headroom box set and inevitably ended up seeking weird pirate TV signal intrusions. Hadn't heard this one before.

By the way, was there ever any follow up to the story of the American couple who got the threatening messages over their cable TV set up? Can't find anything online and can't recall which FT the story was in.

That clip is fabulously eerie! That's exactly the kind of thing I'm always scared I'll hear when my signal goes crunchy :shock:

It is really creepy, if it was a prank somebody has a dodgy sense of humour to put it on a TV show called Mayday. If it was a glitch, it's of Cosmic Joker proportions!

I've been noticing something unusual on my flat screen for the last couple of years. It's intermittent, but very distinct.

Periodically, I'll hear this unusual sound. It's nearly impossible to describe, but sounds like some sort of electronic noise and it's definitely coming through the speakers. Almost always, I'll hear it when an action scene cuts to some quiet dialogue.

Now, I'm certain there is a normal explanation, but it's a very eerie noise and I'm surprised that I can't find anything on it online. I can't be the only one noticing, can I?

Periodically, I'll hear this unusual sound. It's nearly impossible to describe, but sounds like some sort of electronic noise and it's definitely coming through the speakers. Almost always, I'll hear it when an action scene cuts to some quiet dialogue.

Does it sound like this?

I remember seeing an advert years ago, when I was a little kid, that showed TV aerials being sucked down house chimneys. I can't remember what the ad was for, but the imagery unsettled me.

Fascinating thread. This subject is right up my street.

I remember a fairly strange event on TV years ago. It would have been sometime in the early 1990s. British TV viewers are probably familiar with a daytime show called This Morning. One morning my mother was watching and I was idly glancing at it now and again. At this time it was hosted by Richard Madeley and Judy Finnegan and one item featured them discussing the paranormal with a psychic investigator ( I think it was Graham Wylie - they often had him on when discussing the afterlife, ghosts etc).
In the discussion, Wylie mentioned something about there being a spirit in the studio. I think he said it was a spirit of a Cavalier (or maybe an Elizabethan gentleman). During the discussion, every time they used the camera showing the three of them talking, there was this semi transparent figure wandering around. It wasnt sharply clear but seemed to be wearing old fashioned clothes and would wander in and out of shot. At one point it wandered past very close to the camera. I thought it was some kind of special effect the TV producers had put on to illustrate what this 'spirit' might look like. My mother saw it too and she said 'Oh yes, or they having a bit of a laugh'. Bit strange though in what was supposed to be a discussion.
Now this is what I find a bit weird. The following day we had This Morning on again. I wasnt really watching it but it was on. Suddenly I heard Madeley saying something about they had had a few phone calls from viewers about the previous days programme, about seeing a 'ghost' on screen. Instead of saying 'Fooled ya' or something Madeley and Finnegan just sought of shrugged their shoulders and gave 'oh well, maybe youdid see something' expressions.

Ive tried googling it but found no info or discussion about this episode. So was it a prank or special effect, or really a ghost ?...

Fascinating thread. This subject is right up my street.

I remember a fairly strange event on TV years ago. It would have been sometime in the early 1990s. British TV viewers are probably familiar with a daytime show called This Morning. One morning my mother was watching and I was idly glancing at it now and again. At this time it was hosted by Richard Madeley and Judy Finnegan and one item featured them discussing the paranormal with a psychic investigator ( I think it was Graham Wylie - they often had him on when discussing the afterlife, ghosts etc).
In the discussion, Wylie mentioned something about there being a spirit in the studio. I think he said it was a spirit of a Cavalier (or maybe an Elizabethan gentleman). During the discussion, every time they used the camera showing the three of them talking, there was this semi transparent figure wandering around. It wasnt sharply clear but seemed to be wearing old fashioned clothes and would wander in and out of shot. At one point it wandered past very close to the camera. I thought it was some kind of special effect the TV producers had put on to illustrate what this 'spirit' might look like. My mother saw it too and she said 'Oh yes, or they having a bit of a laugh'. Bit strange though in what was supposed to be a discussion.
Now this is what I find a bit weird. The following day we had This Morning on again. I wasnt really watching it but it was on. Suddenly I heard Madeley saying something about they had had a few phone calls from viewers about the previous days programme, about seeing a 'ghost' on screen. Instead of saying 'Fooled ya' or something Madeley and Finnegan just sought of shrugged their shoulders and gave 'oh well, maybe youdid see something' expressions.

Ive tried googling it but found no info or discussion about this episode. So was it a prank or special effect, or really a ghost ?...
Back in olden days, I remember 'ghosting' effects like happened all the time if the telly wasn't tuned in properly.
I'm not saying it was that, though - although it may have been some other technical issue in the studio.
I seem to remember this happening, now you mention it.

On a related note, I used to have a friend who worked for the BBC as a studio manager with Radio 2, Radio 3 and Radio 4. She told me that there was one studio that didn't get used much as everybody thought it was haunted. I think she said that was used by Radio 2.

Here's another recent one:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...figure-sweeps-Breakfast-studio-interview.html

Bushkindle's post reminds me of an episode of the old late night Friday Peter Dickson show on Radio 2, where the subject was the supernatural, and they had a psychic on when all of a sudden a weird transmission was heard, though not apparently by those in the studio. Later they read out without comment a few phone call messages about it (this was before texts and e-mail), including one who said when the sound occurred they had a strange feeling in their leg... as if it was being pulled.

Watch a Cursed Japanese Kleenex Ad
It is NOT going to be "a fine day today."
by Molly McBride Jacobson
October 05, 2016

In 1986, Kleenex released this commercial in Japan. It's a simple, almost minimalistic premise: a woman in white and an ogre child sit on a pile of hay and enjoy their Kleenex brand tissues while the song "It's a Fine Day" by Jane & Barton plays in the background.

Almost instantly, TV stations and Kleenex corporate allegedly began receiving complaints regarding the ad. Perhaps it was its overall strangeness, perhaps it was the minor key of the song, but people were almost ubiquitously unnerved by the commercial and requested that it be taken off the air.

http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/watch-a-cursed-japanese-kleenex-ad

I think it's the choice of music that was their downfall, Edward Barton was always an oddball and he doesn't fit with shilling product (though that track was sampled in the 90s for a dance track where they had a bald woman miming to it). Put the theme from Sesame Street on there and nobody would have been as bothered.

Is that the Edward Barton who performed "I've got no chicken but I've got five wooden chairs" on The Tube, playing a guitar with no strings?

One Edward Barton, there's only one Edward Barton... er, yes, probably. Great English eccentric, no idea where he is now, though.

Back in the early 80's IIRC,when the big fiberglass sat dishes were all the rage for TV,
I got one and found a once a week program that I think was called "cosmic connection".
It was a cheaply done show that was hosted by an eccentric little man and showed the most up to date UFO photos and eyewitness accounts that went with the photos.
Also there was a "classic case" segment which showed the older unsolved cases and photos of the objects.
I watched the program for about a month or more and after showing a short film of an alleged landing at a military base of some kind the program never came on again.
It was supposed to have been secretly recorded,so it was from a distance sufficient enough to obscure any faces or details other than the ones I mention.
The film showed an area encircled by soldiers armed with what appeared to be M-16 rifles and all facing away from the area as if guarding it.
AN officer then walks into view and watches a classic disc shaped craft with a domed top land in a "falling leaf" pattern,and after landing "legs" came out of the craft it settled on them and a stairway of sorts came down from it and a door opened.
The officer type went to the beings who came out and shook hands with one of the three
beings who appeared humanoid and wearing some kind of space suits.
Then the film stopped and the host claimed it was (of course) a top secret piece he had gotten from an anonymous source proving that the military was and had been in contact since the truman era.
As stated above, this was the last time the program was aired, and I have wondered if anyone else had rememberd seeing it and if the alleged contact film was clipped from a movie or where it could have come from.
I have never seen it anywhere else to my memory.
Anyone ever recall seeing this clip, or the program?
I have never seen any movies with this scene in it,and it looked very authentic.

(edited for horrible spelling)

there is a alleged incident from the 70's wich is exactly like what you are saying but there was never any video of it

Last edited by a moderator:
Back