• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Legs With No Body, Running Along The Road

It's curious how often hauntings are reported as featuring loud noises, 'as if someone were dragging a body or moving a piano'. It's understandable if hauntings featured something very emotional - like, the event or aftermath of a killing - but why such mundane, everyday noises too? Why should these be repeated again and again, over time?

From a skeptical viewpoint you might argue that the 'thump, thump' noise was external to the house and in her daydream state she associated with a memory of a child running, perhaps at school. However, Daisy states that her child watched the legs move around the room as well, so this is suggestive of a second witness. Perhaps the most challenging aspect of the ghost-from-the-past hypothesis is that the legs made that noise, whereas if they were a stone tape (or similar) recreation of a past event then why did they interact with the wooden floor? Also Daisy states she moved into a new build, but doesn't the narrative then move to 'previous occupants"? I need to check this aspect out.
Oh I don't remember that bit. I might have to listen to the episode again!

I don't think the son was old enough to confirm the legs unfortunately. Typical bad luck for backing up a sighting!

You mentioned on the Uncanny thread that you have located the house. It has just been up for sale recently and there would be photos online. Does it actually have wooden floors on the landing? As in, could this fit with the "future event" idea in that maybe the new owners will get wooden floors?
But we have been here before, second-guessing the witnesses to fit our own hypotheses. Ultimately, if we are Forteans and we or someones else has researched the case in question and eliminated obvious hoaxing then surely we have to give credence to our witnesses's testimonies? Otherwise we may as well all join Metabunk and spend our time coming up with answers that are more convoluted and less believable than the original phenomena :)
Oh I totally agree. I believe her testimony. I was just adding in another possibility. :)

Oh I don't remember that bit. I might have to listen to the episode again!

I don't think the son was old enough to confirm the legs unfortunately. Typical bad luck for backing up a sighting!

You mentioned on the Uncanny thread that you have located the house. It has just been up for sale recently and there would be photos online. Does it actually have wooden floors on the landing? As in, could this fit with the "future event" idea in that maybe the new owners will get wooden floors?

Oh I totally agree. I believe her testimony. I was just adding in another possibility. :)
Parquet flooring throughout the ground floor, although some bedrooms look to have a carpet overlay, however it is all wooden build and so you would expect to hear the "thump. thump".

Assessing the age of the house is proving a little troublesome as the whole development may have originally been holiday lets. I am pretty certain I have the right place, especially as when I typed the name of the village and her name it came up with an article about "local girl" daisy attending the village fete. Also the secluded location, 24-hour security, New England (USA) styler build, the disused railway line, the man-made lake etc. However, there are quite a few houses of similar design albeit all detached and expensive, so I might not be able to pin down the exact house.

Last edited:
Well its not a secret:

"Home is…
South Cerney in the Cotswolds. I live in a house on a lake with my boyfriend and my kids. We’ve got two kittens, two rabbits and about 20,000 sea monkeys."

https://www.standard.co.uk/culture/daisy-may-cooper-interview-this-country-my-london-b1126988.html

Give myself a little pat on the back, but bl**dy hell why didn't I just Google that to begin with...!? I guess Danny was so circumspect about the location I didn't expect it too be out there.

Hang on, kittens can make a racket on stairs...?

Well its not a secret:

"Home is…
South Cerney in the Cotswolds. I live in a house on a lake with my boyfriend and my kids. We’ve got two kittens, two rabbits and about 20,000 sea monkeys."

https://www.standard.co.uk/culture/daisy-may-cooper-interview-this-country-my-london-b1126988.html

Give myself a little pat on the back, but bl**dy hell why didn't I just Google that to begin with...!? I guess Danny was so circumspect about the location I didn't expect it too be out there.

Hang on, kittens came make a racket on stairs...?
Yeah, but where's the challenge in that? Great detective work!

Yeah, but where's the challenge in that? Great detective work!
That a article is from six days ago, so `I guess you might argue she has revealed the location now she is moving. Anyway, it is easy to find the old railway line and the private drive with the timber-framed, detached houses facing onto the lakes. The lakes were gravel pits and before that open countryside

Well its not a secret:

"Home is…

Hang on, kittens can make a racket on stairs...?
Rabbits thump their feet as well

i am listening to Radio 4's pick of the week and the clip of Daisy May Cooper on Uncanny was on just as I read the posts about it here! story is odd, i'm not sure if i saw a pair of disembodied legs I would assume they were a ghost (and I would be screaming and running away swearing).

I listen to Uncanny but I think it's nonsense really, just a vehicle for Danny Robins. Overall there's very little fact checking of anecdotal stuff about previous occupants and stories about murders or suicides in old local papers etc, which is irritating as it would be relatively easy to check. They also don't check stories with family members and just allow people to say 'oh yeah my whole family saw it' etc.

Gnat's Entertainment

Re: smnmy's post ~

There could, ideally, be a truly forensic televised investigation into hauntings but instead pretty much anything (possibly) supernatural is treated by broadcasters in a tongue-in-cheek manner. Even the much-lauded programmes made by and/or featuring self-confessed lovers of old-school supernatural tales undermine themselves in this way, and make me question whether those creators & stars actually like the genre at all; it seems merely ripe for their mickey-taking and air of superiority. Anyway, it appears the assumptions of programme-makers are that a) the public aren't intelligent enough to cope with investigative programmes, b) the public that aren't interested in programmes - even book discussions! - unless these are fronted by a celebrity, and b) the public has the collective attention span of a gnat.

Deliberate or not, this dumbing-down is pathetic, and actually reveals far more about these 'creatives' than about their audience.

Did someone mention gnats?

Fruit flies, tiny but amazingly smart

* "According to a new study, these tiny insects possess attention, working memory and awareness capabilities. . . . Published in the journal ‘Nature’, the study shows us that fruit flies (Drosophila melanogaster) have more advanced cognitive abilities than scientists . . . ."
:thought:
* Actually, the uncorrupted quote is: "Published in the journal ‘Nature’, the study shows us that fruit flies (Drosophila melanogaster) have more advanced cognitive abilities than scientists had previously thought."
I'll go away now and let the thread resume on its intended course . . . :botp:

i am listening to Radio 4's pick of the week and the clip of Daisy May Cooper on Uncanny was on just as I read the posts about it here! story is odd, i'm not sure if i saw a pair of disembodied legs I would assume they were a ghost (and I would be screaming and running away swearing).

I listen to Uncanny but I think it's nonsense really, just a vehicle for Danny Robins. Overall there's very little fact checking of anecdotal stuff about previous occupants and stories about murders or suicides in old local papers etc, which is irritating as it would be relatively easy to check. They also don't check stories with family members and just allow people to say 'oh yeah my whole family saw it' etc.
I suppose the response to this would be that 'Uncanny' challenges us to get out there and undercover the facts for ourselves, such as digging into local history and to interact with the 'Uncanny' online communities to share findings and discuss theories. That said, I have to agree there have been numerous instances where Danny has failed to ask a blatantly obvious question when talking to witnesses, such as: "Did the tape deck that switched itself on when unplugged have batteries?"

I feel many listeners would agree that the first series was stronger than much of what has followed, and there seems to have been more fact checking in those early cases, too. Since then an element of celebrity has crept in and many of the newer cases haven't reached the heights of Room 611, Luibeilt, Eliabeth Dacre and the three-part Canadian special. Personally, I feel it is a great shame that in 'Uncanny' Danny has barely touched UFO experiences from listeners (i.e. not Rendlesham), doppelgängers and time-slips. Instead, he quickly returns to ghosts and poltergeists.

That said, I feel 'Unanny' has provided a lot more positives than negatives and has certainly been a success for Radio 4 and this will make it easier for other writers to get Fortean content onto the BBC. The book does go into historical details nd challenge anecdotes and is highly recommend. The TV shows were certainly a lot more grounded than pretty much anything else paranormal since the likes of "Strange but True? back in the 90's and 80s.

Last edited:
Gnat's Entertainment

There could, ideally, be a truly forensic televised investigation into hauntings but instead pretty much anything (possibly) supernatural is treated by broadcasters in a tongue-in-cheek manner. Even the much-lauded programmes made by and/or featuring self-confessed lovers of old-school supernatural tales undermine themselves in this way, and make me question whether those creators & stars actually like the genre at all; it seems merely ripe for their mickey-taking and air of superiority. Anyway, it appears the assumptions of programme-makers are that a) the public aren't intelligent enough to cope with investigative programmes, b) the public that aren't interested in programmes - even book discussions! - unless these are fronted by a celebrity, and b) the public has the collective attention span of a gnat.

Deliberate or not, this dumbing-down is pathetic, and actually reveals far more about these 'creatives' than about their audience.
It's not just Fortean type programmes that get dumbed down, sadly the same goes for most series on other subjects which should be interesting but descend to the same level. Whether it's the dim but attractive male or female presenters ( "How do you feel?") or "sexing" episodes up, I quickly switch off, but then I too probably have the attention span of a g

Thinking about Daisy Mays bodiless legs, I'm drawn to the idea that some sightings are actually of future events or occupants of a space. It would help explain a lot of those sightings which don't make sense in a historical context- out of place limbs, doppelgängers etc.

For me, the sheer silliness of the vent adds credibility, not sure that I would have screamed or cried out at something so bizarre as my usual shock response is open mouthed gaping and immobility rather than yelling or flapping that might attract unwanted attention.

Thinking about Daisy Mays bodiless legs, I'm drawn to the idea that some sightings are actually of future events or occupants of a space. It would help explain a lot of those sightings which don't make sense in a historical context- out of place limbs, doppelgängers etc.

For me, the sheer silliness of the vent adds credibility, not sure that I would have screamed or cried out at something so bizarre as my usual shock response is open mouthed gaping and immobility rather than yelling or flapping that might attract unwanted attention.
My usual response is curiosity - but I was left in drop-jawed shock when a lady, who I assumed was a customer, just disappeared in a bookshop (I'm sure I was pale as well!)

Since I know someone will ask - yes, I have posted it on here - original post (the second of the two accounts there). Text below (posted back in 2003):

More recently, maybe two years ago, I went to Methven's Booksellers in Woking, just browsing. I went upstairs and wanted to go down a narrow, dead-end aisle between a table piled with books and some bookshelves to look at the end section, but there was a lady down there looking at the books, so I stopped by the entrance to the aisle and looked at some other books while I waited for her to leave. I could see her out of the corner of my eye, flicking through a book. After waiting a while I got bored and decided to go down the aisle anyway...I looked up and no-one was there. The aisle was too narrow for her to have passed me without asking permission. I was, to say the least, very surprised. I looked through the whole upstairs section and she wasn't there, and I hadn't heard anyone go downstairs. She just looked like a normal lady, except (and I only realised this afterwards) that she had been wearing a heavy overcoat and a scarf, on a hot summer's day.

Gnat's Entertainment

I've said this before on many occasions. When the storyline goes 'it is said', why does nobody ever try to find out who it is said by, when it was first said, what provoked the story that is 'said', etc etc. 'It is said' just seems to me to be a handwavy way of saying 'probably bollocks but we can't be bothered to check.'

My usual response is curiosity - but I was left in drop-jawed shock when a lady, who I assumed was a customer, just disappeared in a bookshop (I'm sure I was pale as well!)

Since I know someone will ask - yes, I have posted it on here - original post (the second of the two accounts there). Text below (posted back in 2003):

More recently, maybe two years ago, I went to Methven's Booksellers in Woking, just browsing. I went upstairs and wanted to go down a narrow, dead-end aisle between a table piled with books and some bookshelves to look at the end section, but there was a lady down there looking at the books, so I stopped by the entrance to the aisle and looked at some other books while I waited for her to leave. I could see her out of the corner of my eye, flicking through a book. After waiting a while I got bored and decided to go down the aisle anyway...I looked up and no-one was there. The aisle was too narrow for her to have passed me without asking permission. I was, to say the least, very surprised. I looked through the whole upstairs section and she wasn't there, and I hadn't heard anyone go downstairs. She just looked like a normal lady, except (and I only realised this afterwards) that she had been wearing a heavy overcoat and a scarf, on a hot summer's day.
I had a very similar experience in a book shop decades ago when on holiday. I can't remember the location unfortunately. A very elderly staff member was loading books onto a shelf in the basement of the shop where I was idly perusing the history section. Got interrupted by the then MsP and when I looked back the staff member had disappeared leaving a pile of books on the floor. She couldn't have got passed me because the basement was very narrow, but long. We went off and I admit I was a touch disconcerted as to what exactly had happened. Going back to the shop next day to buy a book I found a narrow gap in the shelving with a door marked staff toilets. To be honest I was a bit relieved. (!)

Last edited:

Listened to this episode again last night and another detail is that these legs without an upper body triggered the security light on her landing as well as making the "thump - thump" as they pounding on the wooden floor.

Here is a photo of a re-enactment of your experience :p
libg.jpeg

Gnat's Entertainment

Conspiracy theory time.

I sometimes wonder if such programs are done like that deliberately to hide something that is very real?

My least favourite episode so far and I normally enjoy the show. But that was just blatant BBC pushing their own product. (Assuming she has some comedy in the pipeline with them or summat).

Another one, a throwaway anecdote in a guardian article about the alleged renewed popularity of ghost stories ( usual patronizing nonsense where the journalist seeks to explain interest in such things by any sociological cause save for people actually experiencing it).

It's not clear whether this reference to "a pair of ghostly legs" is to a visible sighting of detached limbs or just to the sound of footsteps. But still...
Screenshot_20240105-120651.png

Oddly enough on one of several youtube videos recounting the history of the enfield poltergeist, the other day it referenced a sighting of ghostly legs which ive never heard mentioned before.

'...It's all basically nonsense...'

A desperate translation of: 'Don't worry, readers - I'm smart too, just like you! I don't believe in all this rubbish either but they're paying me to write about it.'

An edit to the Enfield reference...relocating the clip he says Peggy ( the mother) saw what she described as the bottom half of an old man dressed in old fashioned pyjamas going up the stairs".

Again this is ambiguous and may simply mean the top half was out of sight rather than not there at all.

Back