• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Likes [Poll]

The Like Button ...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Aww, I'm too late to vote in the poll. So I gave henry a couple of likes instead.

Seems like an apt place to insert this video... if nobody minds...

(they've definitely got the 'like' concept sussed in this video...)

I'm getting a bit sick of henry's old trick to be honest.

Every single time the topic of LIKES comes up, he plays up the fact that he hates them--and strings it out over multiple posts--solely in order to receive ironically granted LIKES.

The man's milking the system.

Yeah, think how MUCH it's costing us.

Scotty-stern.jpg

It could end up costing us plenty ...
The LIke-Dithering Crystals are down to 20% cheer-charge.
All-out bonhomie could bring down the Troll's Head!

Damn it, get me the new crystals I've been requisitioning for months - even if you have to get 'em from Cromer!
(I hear Swifty knows a guy who knows a guy ...)

'Quotes' are better than 'likes' because they show that someone has engaged with your comment. Even if they disagree!

'Quotes' are better than 'likes' because they show that someone has engaged with your comment. Even if they disagree!

Yes, but sometimes one wants to say they agree with something even when they do not have anything they wish to, or are able to, add. That's what I often use the 'like' function for. "I agree with this, but I can't think of owt else to say".

:)

I suppose it's because the Fortean crowd, (you bunch of reprobates) are of a different mindset to the face-twit-tube lot for eg. The number of times I've seen someone on there getting hundreds of 'likes' for just saying ''who's watching this in (insert year),'' is unbelievable, while someone who posts a quite interesting and profound piece gets just two or three.
In any case, if everyone agreed on everything all the time, it would be a pretty pointless state of affairs really, especially in Fortean terms.

Isn't 'thumbs up' a universal sign of approval ?

If so then surely it implies that the thumbs- upper approves of the whole of the last post.

https://xenforo.com/community/

[don't worry, we have other people who experience the same dilemmas doing this work for us]

note: my idea was to introduce a 'dislike-button', alongside the existing features, to get a more balanced estimated appreciation of posts, but on the other hand: think of all those xenforo-users worldwide that did NOT YET manage their 'personal settings' into NOT getting an e-mail-alert when somebody 'likes' or 'quotes' their post! how many e-mails could be avoided like this, reducing server-time, saving electricity and reducing the chance some 'market-oriented' provider uses these contacts to push more ads into inboxes, causing more delay and vulnerability to bugs and malware..

xenforo-eco 'the green version' without e-mail notifications, hahaha

Last edited:
[xenforo-animal rights version]: everytime somebody who could be considered to be in the realm of the first world gets a xenforo-LIKE/QUOTE e-mail-alert, some third world country's government will be obliged to feed one more peanut to animals starving in zoos (because the domestic budget is mainly spent on energy and internet-providers from the west and had to cut down on zoo-expenses) and so on.. I just thought internet would help create a better world, in the silicon valley days (25 years ago), because industrial leaders out there turned all their ideals (like the esoterical, hippie-beliefs) into profit and that 'global village' would be about saving (at least) one whale, but no way, greed still has the best of us, so probably xenforo is part of the same process that is bringing the eco-system down (technocracy). blah blah, never mind, I was just thinking in a wicked way, it will sort itself out, one day (pretty soon! if I take my family-members' perspective of living at this level of quality&quantity, they think they are living forever, but I'm of a way more pessimistic estimate of reality, not that saving a whale is a bad thing, it's just a distraction from reality when the oceans are dying from industrial pollution). today it's easy to be green and eco-friendly, all you have to do is stand up and ask anybody for some SCIENTIFIC PROOF!

Last edited:
Isn't 'thumbs up' a universal sign of approval ? ...

Neither the gesture nor its meaning are universally recognized worldwide.

... its perceived meaning varies significantly from culture to culture.

The sign has a pejorative meaning in parts of West Africa and some of the Middle Eastern countries including Iraq and Iran where the sign is equivalent to giving the middle finger.

In Germany, France, and Hungary, the gesture can simply indicate the number one, in the right context.

Even in the English speaking world where it's best known, there are situations in which it carries a meaning other than approval or "A-OK" ...

Hitchhikers in the West traditionally use a thumb gesture to solicit rides from oncoming vehicles ...

In scuba diving, the thumbs-up gesture is a specific diving signal given underwater, in which the diver indicates that he or she is about to stop his or her dive and ascend. This occasionally causes confusion in new divers ...

In basketball, when a held ball occurs, an official will jerk both thumbs in the air, signalling that a jump ball is in order.

In baseball, umpires will sometimes jerk a thumbs-up over their shoulder as an "out" signal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thumb_signal

as soon as I discover a saved whale, I'll post it here!

right! gotcha! this one seems pretty safe, even though it's in the Bering-sea.. [lots of people getting sacked at green-peace, no need anymore for whale-savers, right now SAVING THE VAQUITA is a more urgent case]

01humpbackwhales.ngsversion.1473420603711.adapt.1900.1.jpg

Last edited:
[very dark, toxic green-house clouds overhead for days now in Nederland..]

being a fanatic pedestrian myself, can I carefully add that anybody putting a 'thumbs-up' to a car-driver, is obviously nuts, anyway..? (it would only signal something closely resembling 'I like', whilst cars kill legally on a daily basis..)

Last edited:
Yes, but sometimes one wants to say they agree with something even when they do not have anything they wish to, or are able to, add. That's what I often use the 'like' function for. "I agree with this, but I can't think of owt else to say".

:)

Yes, it's very handy for that - the original point of it on this board, I think. As far as I know, this site doesn't collect them and sell them to marketers. (Though heaven only knows what they'd try to sell based on our posts here!)

Does anyone but me use the like button to signal non-aggression before replying? I do this so the person I'm replying to knows that it's meant in a friendly way. They won't have to worry they're about to read something vicious or nasty.

Back