• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Lucky Escapes

Overweight cat survives falling from 6th floor and crashing onto car windscreen

Shi Fu - who weighs 20lbs - was walking along its owner's balcony in Bangkok, Thailand, on Saturday when it slipped and fell off.

CCTV cameras captured the pet free-falling 90ft before hitting the rear windscreen of a parked, empty MG car.
The owner of the car, Apiwat Toyothaka, said staff at the apartment block called him to say a cat had fallen on his windscreen.

When he went to the scene he found the glass had shattered and Shi Fu's tearful owner was there, cradling the injured cat in her arms.

The cat was taken to the vet and found to have several bruises, two broken claws, and a swollen nose - but incredibly, no life-threatening injuries.

The owner was fined 1,000 THB (around £23) since pets are not allowed in the block of flats she lives in.

Monruthai Klinsuk, who co-owns the car, told local media: 'The cat has now been relocated away from the owner's residence. So please don't say anything negative about her. It's hard to care for cats and everything happened by accident.

'The cat owner has learned her lesson and is trying to help her pet lose weight.'

Apiwat, who said he was a cat lover himself, hopes their insurance provider will cover the costs of repairing the car.
In the video it looks like the cat hit the protruding canopy on the way down which may have broken it’s fall a bit.

1685397971811.png

Out on the bike yesterday I narrowly missed getting hit by a hefty dollop of birdshit which splattered on the road about 10 feet away from me. Getting hit by that would’ve put something of a downer on the rest of the ride. Didn't see the culprit but from the size of splatter must've been fairly large.

Mount Taranaki: Climber survives 600m fall with minor injuries

A climber in New Zealand "miraculously" survived a fall of 600m (1,968ft) with only minor injuries after tumbling down the side of a mountain.

Police said the man fell from Mount Taranaki on the North Island and was saved by spring weather which softened the ice and meant he landed in snow.
The police said the climber is "exceptionally lucky to be alive".

Mount Taranaki has a reputation as one of the deadliest mountains in New Zealand, according to the country's Mountain Safety Council.

In 2021, two mountaineers fell to the deaths from the same spot from which the climber plunged at the weekend.
1694432920539.png

Mount Taranaki: Climber survives 600m fall with minor injuries

A climber in New Zealand "miraculously" survived a fall of 600m (1,968ft) with only minor injuries after tumbling down the side of a mountain.

Police said the man fell from Mount Taranaki on the North Island and was saved by spring weather which softened the ice and meant he landed in snow.

View attachment 69533
He must have had plenty of time to think about it on the way down
What comes down won't go up again....

Not if he as any sense that is.

Last edited:
Meet crane operator Glen Edwards - nerves of steel and awesome skill. :cool:
When a huge fire broke out at a building site he used his crane to rescue two trapped workers. WHAT a hero. :)

‘A very close call’: crane plucks two men from huge blaze at Reading high-rise

Two people have been saved from a burning high-rise building in a dramatic rescue using a crane.

The operation was described as a “very close call” by the man who was at the machine’s controls. Glen Edwards was forced into action after a large fire broke out at the building site in Reading.

Footage on social media showed one of the workers being rescued in a white cage, using the crane operated by Edwards, with a crowd of people on the ground cheering as he was lifted to safety.

Meet crane operator Glen Edwards - nerves of steel and awesome skill. :cool:
When a huge fire broke out at a building site he used his crane to rescue two trapped workers. WHAT a hero. :)

‘A very close call’: crane plucks two men from huge blaze at Reading high-rise
I like this, It had a nice ending, but it also has the perfect mixture of dramatic rescue elements.

Actual visible danger - signified by flames, billowing smoke etc
The person in danger - also clearly visible
The sudden arrival of CRANE MAN's cage.
The few moments of genuine tummy-ice as the guy couldn't get the cage open to climb in.
It even has a huge cheer from the crowd watching below at the end.

10/10 perfect rescue! Congrats to everyone involved.

I like this, It had a nice ending, but it also has the perfect mixture of dramatic rescue elements.

Actual visible danger - signified by flames, billowing smoke etc
The person in danger - also clearly visible
The sudden arrival of CRANE MAN's cage.
The few moments of genuine tummy-ice as the guy couldn't get the cage open to climb in.
It even has a huge cheer from the crowd watching below at the end.

10/10 perfect rescue! Congrats to everyone involved.
Fantastic innit. :yay:

Soo dramatic. The best special effects team in Hollywood couldn't have set it up better.
Of course, the Fire Brigade can face danger like this and do a great job every day.

Out on the bike yesterday I narrowly missed getting hit by a hefty dollop of birdshit which splattered on the road about 10 feet away from me. Getting hit by that would’ve put something of a downer on the rest of the ride. Didn't see the culprit but from the size of splatter must've been fairly large.
I was cycling on the Overstrand road one summer when, somehow a dog shit landed on my shoulder (without wanting to gross anyone here out, it's got that certain unmistakable smell).

The weirder thing was, it came directly from above me so it couldn't have been someone deliberately throwing it at me. I stopped to look for a culprit but I couldn't spot one so I cycled home, put my shirt in a bucket of soapy water to soak then had a shower. The lucky escape part is that it was inches away from landing on my head and my face instead so I've got to be grateful for that at least .. and flying dogs.

(Who throws dog shit in the air?)

A couple of years later, I was on a community care visit to an elderly man who's dog was pooing on his neighbours lawn and his neighbour was understandably fed up with it. It wasn't the elderly man's fault in that he had Parkinson's difficulty so wasn't able to walk in a straight line without falling over so it would have been very hard for him physically to clean up after his dog. This was in a cul-de-sac very close to where I got hit so I've sometimes wondered if the neighbour launched one of the 'dog eggs' into the air out of sheer frustration?.

Last edited:
A dog owner who'd run out of plastic gloves and bags? Flicking it off the pavement with a stick may have launched it skyward.
There wasn't anyone else on that road as I remember it at the time. I'd stopped cycling and immediately looked around for a culprit but I couldn't spot anyone. I even looked behind a hedge expecting to find some giggling teenagers but nothing.

Incredible. That man has balls of steel and deserves some kind of award for doing that.
From his modest comments, I infer - this is just me - that he's mightily relieved at how well it went.
It was a huge responsibility to take on, in just moments, and everything depended on him. He stepped up magnificently.

A little voice inside him might be saying yeah but it's only me, I might've got it wrong, what if I'd bumped one with the cage and knocked him off, right before Christmas, his poor family, how awful for my family too, they've done nothing wrong...
He may even have nightmares about not saving the two workers.

That's PTSD. After heroics, the what ifs have to be dealt with. It can be done. He will be OK.

There wasn't anyone else on that road as I remember it at the time. I'd stopped cycling and immediately looked around for a culprit but I couldn't spot anyone. I even looked behind a hedge expecting to find some giggling teenagers but nothing.
If there are gardens nearby some irate gardener might've picked it up on a spade and flung it over the hedge. It would travel a longish way with an awesome trajectory.

Edit - I notice that you've pondered this possibility.

Makes me think of a joke Angela Ripon told years ago.
Two punks, with magnificent and intricate mohican hairstyles were sitting in Trafalgar Square, having a can of beer. They saw a tourist get a pigeon poo on his head. One punk turned to the other:
"What would you do if a bird shat on your head?"
"For a start, I wouldn't go out with her again!"

Makes me think of a joke Angela Ripon told years ago.
Two punks, with magnificent and intricate mohican hairstyles were sitting in Trafalgar Square, having a can of beer. They saw a tourist get a pigeon poo on his head. One punk turned to the other:
"What would you do if a bird shat on your head?"
"For a start, I wouldn't go out with her again!"
Two punks on a beach listening to the radio:

"Is this Jonny Rotten?"
"No, I've only used it twice."

.. anyway, Lucky Escapes ..

True story,
A young woman I worked with a pleasant good looking one
once told me a tail, is seemed she found out her boyfriend
was knocking another girl off, so she goes round to his parents
house when the parents are out, and suggests some kinky sex,
so she handcuff's him spread eagled naked on his parent's bed
craps on his chest and leaves.
Bet that was a interesting homecoming.
:bdown:

True story,
A young woman I worked with a pleasant good looking one
once told me a tail, is seemed she found out her boyfriend
was knocking another girl off, so she goes round to his parents
house when the parents are out, and suggests some kinky sex,
so she handcuff's him spread eagled naked on his parent's bed
craps on his chest and leaves.
Bet that was a interesting homecoming.
:bdown:
She had a lucky escape.

I would strongly suggest not reading the comments on the above article unless you want to be exposed to a torrent of prejudice, misogyny, failure to actually watch the video, and just plain nastiness.

Back