• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mars Surface Anomalies Viewed From Orbit / Afar

Just as the Viking rovers did actually get a positive result from their experiments to detect life in the Martian soil but it was decided this was a false positive despite many scientists believing otherwise:
There were no rovers on Viking, just orbiters and landers, and to be fair only one of the three or four (depending on how you classify them) life experiments was positive. Still, it's strange - and suspicious - that in the nearly 50 years since there has been no convincing attempt to clarify the results on later missions.

There were no rovers on Viking, just orbiters and landers, and to be fair only one of the three or four (depending on how you classify them) life experiments was positive. Still, it's strange - and suspicious - that in the nearly 50 years since there has been no convincing attempt to clarify the results on later missions.
Yes, sorry landers. We had the National geographic magazines that featured the full colour Viking images from the surface of Mars and I remember being fascinated by them. I do find it most odd that no attempt has been made to replicate these tests and I you could make a decent conspiracy theory from it all. Ultimately though it may simply be that the scientist who make these sorts of decisions were skeptical of the Viking claims.

Yes. Highly suspicious.
That means that NASA has specifically made the decision to avoid looking into it.

Yes. Highly suspicious.
That means that NASA has specifically made the decision to avoid looking into it.
And I don't care what they say, this still looks suspiciously like vegetation to me.

mars.png

It does but it also looks a bit like the kind of crystal growths you can get in petri dishes. It might be geological.

The scale matters as well. Does the picture show a large landscape or a small dried-up pool? It's a bit reminiscent of the old 'grow a crystal garden' thing back in the days when you could buy proper chemistry sets.

Back