• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Out Of Place Animals

The walrus wanders far away.

An Arctic Circle walrus has turned up about 400 miles (644km) from home in Shetland.

The distinctive and well-travelled young female has already been recorded off Denmark, Germany, the Netherlands and Northumberland.

Named Freya, the walrus has been spotted at the isle of Vementry and is generating a lot of interest. Local wildlife photographer Hugh Harrop described it as a "really exciting" thing to happen.

The walrus has been spotted having a rest on the side of a salmon farm cage by the uninhabited island.

"It's a young female and she's got just a little pink spot on her nose and that makes her distinctive", Mr Harrop told BBC Scotland.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-59636151

Freya gets a statue.

Norway's capital Oslo has unveiled a statue of a walrus who was a popular attraction but was then put down because of public safety concerns.

The life-size bronze sculpture depicts Freya lying on her side on a shore.

"This is how humans treat wild nature, but it is also how humans treat humans. This is how we treated Freya. And so, I will call the statue For Our Sins," creator Astri Tonoian said.

An online campaign earlier raised $25,000 (£19,900) to make the statue.

"I started this because I'm furious about the way the [Norwegian] Fisheries Directorate and the state handled this situation," campaign organiser Erik Holm told the AFP news agency.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65439294

Amid a sea of the world’s most glamorous A-list celebs, it was a lowly vermin that stole the show: A cockroach undoubtedly solidified its spot atop the pantheon of famous New York Pests after it was spotted scurrying down the aisle at this year’s Met Gala.

A Twitter video, posted by Variety, showed the uninvited pest darting across the red carpet after circumventing security at the annual fashion bash, where tickets cost a staggering $50,000 per head.

Celebrity onlookers could be heard gasping in delight as the bug — sporting its trademark brown and white tux — scuttled up the stairs of the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City.

At one point, Veteran Getty Images photographer Kevin Mazur snapped pics of the red carpet bomber, before pretending to stomp on it, per The Hollywood Reporter.

Children were startled to see a large cat with possibly two kittens in the Ruigeplaat forest in Hoogvliet last Thursday. The animal police were called in and launched a search operation together with the LID and the fire brigade. The deployment of a drone with a heat seeker did not lead to a find. Eventually, the deployment of catch cages had the desired result. As the kittens were not found, an examination of the cat should reveal whether it was suckling young. If that turns out to be the case, the search for the kittens will continue.

1683371230509.png

https://www.politie.nl/nieuws/2023/mei/6/07-serval-hoogvliet-gevangen.html

You don't want one of these coming round the U-bend!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-65566980

Robot camera spots alligator in Florida water pipe​

When a series of potholes appeared in the city, the town of Oviedo, Florida sent a robotic camera into a storm water pipe to investigate "anomalies" under the roadway. They were shocked to find a 5ft (1.7m) alligator.
"At first, they thought it was a toad and in the video, you see two little glowing eyes until you get closer - but when it turned around, they saw the long tail of the alligator and followed it through the pipes," Oviedo city officials said.
"Thank goodness our crews have a robot", officials added, warning locals not to wander down into the pipes.

You don't want one of these coming round the U-bend!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-65566980

Robot camera spots alligator in Florida water pipe​

When a series of potholes appeared in the city, the town of Oviedo, Florida sent a robotic camera into a storm water pipe to investigate "anomalies" under the roadway. They were shocked to find a 5ft (1.7m) alligator.
"At first, they thought it was a toad and in the video, you see two little glowing eyes until you get closer - but when it turned around, they saw the long tail of the alligator and followed it through the pipes," Oviedo city officials said.
"Thank goodness our crews have a robot", officials added, warning locals not to wander down into the pipes.
I didn't find this story to be very anomalous. Some headlines "ALLIGATORS in the SEWERS are REAL" didn't reveal it was Florida making it appear more dramatic. Alligators typically hang around storm sewers and have access to the outlet pipes. So, it's not really a surprise they would get in there.

Reactions: RaM
On Monday 26th June, a vineyard owner in Vauvert France, was strolling amongst his vines, when he spotted a kangaroo helping itself to the grapes.
The vigneron had the presence of mind to take a photo and short video with his phone before shooing the animal away.
It is unknown where the Roo (or Wallaby) came from, nor has it been spotted since.

kang.png

Video can be viewed at the Ouest France website.

https://www.ouest-france.fr/region-...s-vignes-2da395a4-1bdf-11ee-9817-eaa28518a142

Last edited:
A report last night on the local face ach of a big cat dead at the side of the rd
a leopard or lynx I think it was turned out to be a dead pheasant and our roads are
full of them must have been someone new to the area.

And a wallaby in Somerset.. Vid at link.

Walker's surprise as wallaby bounces past her in Somerset​

A walker says she first thought she was looking at a dog when a wallaby bounced past her in Somerset.

Heather Smith, 37, from Weston-super-Mare, was walking in the Mendip Hills when she spotted the creature.

She said: "You don't expect to see something like that, it was a big surprise. I don't think I will ever see something like that again, it was a very random thing to see, but it was nice."

It is not known where the wallaby has come from, but there have previously been sightings on the Mendips and in other places around the UK.

Video: Elliot Darby

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-somerset-66110694

Reactions: RaM
Python turns up among clothes in thrift shop

Employees at a textile sorting centre in a thrift shop in Dordrecht found a white king python in a crate of old clothes. The snake's owner has since been found.

The reptile was discovered yesterday. Staff immediately called the animal ambulance, which took the strangling snake to a reptile sanctuary.

"They can slip between everything. They can get through all the little cracks and holes. So I think that's what happened. It just looked for a warm place and probably ended up in a bag of clothes and went that way," a shelter employee told RTV Dordrecht/Rijnmond.

https://nos.nl/artikel/2485306-python-duikt-op-tussen-kleding-in-kringloopwinkel

Is something attracting them? Maybe all the people splashing about in the Channel need to be careful.
Well, don't go imitating a seal.
But, this article is speculation. There is no evidence for the headline. It's hype.

But in recent decades there have been a significant number of anecdotal sightings. Conservationist Richard Peirce, who is the author of the UK Great White Shark Enigma, has dedicated himself to following up each one, studying the scene and interviewing witnesses involved. Of the 100 or so potential great white shark cases he has investigated since the late 1990s, he estimates around 10 per cent are credible.

All of the sightings he has investigated are either in Devon and Cornwall or the western coast of Scotland. Frustratingly, he has only been able to gather snippets of proof. In 1999 the same massive shark was spotted on three separate occasions along the Cornish coast but after becoming tangled up in a lobster fishermen’s net he cut it free and the body sank to the seabed.

Peirce also has a photograph of what he is convinced is a great white shark fin taken by a Scottish trawlerman in 2003 off the coast of Dunnet Head, but it has not been enough to persuade other global experts.

Raccoons in Germany

Known as Waschbären, meaning ‘wash bears’, due to their habit of meticulously cleaning their food, the creatures have been linked to some serious crimes across the country.

Germans are advised to put grilles over their chimneys and lock cat flaps at night to stop them from invading their homes – and they’ve even been accused of killing and eating beloved family pets.
Last month, regional news website HNA reported that two young girls in the central city of Kassel had discovered the partial remains of their dwarf rabbit Lissy in their garden, with their parents saying raccoons had broken into the hutch.

The news site quoted local pest control expert Frank Becker, who said: ‘Raccoons have been known to break into pens and kill rabbits. Also chickens.’

It was in northern Hesse that raccoons were first released into the wild in Germany, almost 90 years ago.

With no natural predators to bring the numbers down, hunting the raccoon soon became more of a necessity than a hobby.

Those numbers continue to grow dramatically. In the 2000-01 season, Germany’s National Hunting Association (DJV) killed just over 9,000 raccoons.

Two decades later, they hunted more than 200,000 of them. In a recent report, the organisation warned: ‘Because of their highly sensitive sense of touch, they can learn to open complex closed things.’

Like in their natural home of North America, the animals have gravitated towards urban areas, and there are believed to be hundreds in Berlin.
Video of one on the Bundestag building at link

Well, don't go imitating a seal.
But, this article is speculation. There is no evidence for the headline. It's hype.
The UK should be well within the range of the GWS. They can range up into Alaskan waters. There is certainly no resident population here but i'd be amazed if individuals did not turn up in British waters now and again. We have more grey seals than any other country. There have been a number of sightings including on in the Shetlands by a marine biologist Dr Simon Greenstreet.

Hasnt it long been known they range up to Iceland?

No News day.

(Possibly as much a part of GB Wildlife as Leatherbacks, Portuguese men o war and sunfish??)

(I have found a PMoW on a Cornish Beach.)

Hasnt it long been known they range up to Iceland?

No News day.

(Possibly as much a part of GB Wildlife as Leatherbacks, Portuguese men o war and sunfish??)

(I have found a PMoW on a Cornish Beach.)
The UK should be well within the range of the GWS. They can range up into Alaskan waters. There is certainly no resident population here but i'd be amazed if individuals did not turn up in British waters now and again. We have more grey seals than any other country. There have been a number of sightings including on in the Shetlands by a marine biologist Dr Simon Greenstreet.

No. There are no maps or tracking information that I could find that showed that the UK waters, or anything north of the Bay of Biscay has ever had any confirmed sightings. Granted, it's not that far. But those are the current facts. So I stand my statement that the article was speculation with no evidence.
snowpiee1-7.png

Dead Shark on the Banks of an Idaho River

Yesterday, the Idaho Department of Fish & Game (IDFG) announced a “shocking discovery” on the shores of the Salmon River near the town of Riggins in the western part of the state. Biologist Joe DuPont shared photos of what appear to be a dead salmon shark—a saltwater species with a home range well over 1,000 miles from the Gem State.

salmon-shark.jpg

“Salmon Sharks can grow up to 10 ft long and weigh up to almost 1,000 lbs,” DuPont wrote in the release.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/cons...-salmon-shark-on-the-banks-of-an-idaho-river/

maximus otter

1692902039226.png

White wallaby spotted along road in Garderen

A white wallaby was spotted in the village of Garderen in Gelderland yesterday morning. Where the animal came from is a mystery. "For a moment he looks at me and away he was," says the owner.

The animal was spotted hopping on the road close to the village. Among others, Hennie van den Bos saw it. For his work, he is out early every day, as was the case yesterday. It was still dark when he suddenly saw something white moving on the road. "I first thought of a dog, but they don't huff. And for a rabbit, the animal was too big," he tells Omroep Gelderland.

Van den Bos says he often encounters wild animals in the early morning. "Deer, wild boar. Also once a marten shot out from under my car and I once stood amazed by a white owl. That was also very unusual, but I had never experienced this before."

Other cars also stopped for the wallaby crossing the road. Van den Bos managed to film the animal with his phone. "For two seconds the animal remained standing and then it had disappeared into the bushes," he says.

Wallaby near Ede
Where the animal came from is a mystery. Dierenambulance Barneveld, whose service area includes Garderen, also does not know where the animal could have come from.

Staff do suspect that it is an animal that has been roaming the region for a few months. Last spring, a white wallaby was also regularly seen near Ede. This white wallaby was killed on the highway in late April.

https://nos.nl/artikel/2487547-witte-wallaby-gespot-langs-de-weg-in-garderen

Beware of the River Avon crocodile, visitors warned
Three 'crocodile warning' signs erected at sites along the Avon where sightings have been reported
By Claire Carter
8:13AM BST 27 Jun 2014

As some people reacted with scepticism to news of a crocodile sighting on the River Avon, others took the opportunity to put up warning signs for commuters. 8)
Tom Simpson, of Insight Media, produced three 'crocodile warning' signs which the company put at sites along the Avon where sightings had previously been reported.

"There's been another two sightings before and we thought it would be a bit of fun and something a bit different to put the signs up," he told The Telegraph.
"We knew we had to do it quite quickly after the sighting on Wednesday."

Mr Simpson put up one sign near the suspension bridge in Hopwells, following Wednesday's sighting. The other two were placed in York Road and Coronation Road.
He added: "I hope it is real."

But Holly Denny, 22, a student, said she didn't believe the rumours.
"I think it's quite strange. I think it would be very bizarre to have a crocodile in Bristol."

Dennis Lydon, 47, a stonemason, added: "I don't believe it. I thought it might have been a log or something that was seen. I walk round here every day and I've never seen anything or people searching.
"No one seems that bothered."

After the crocodile was spotted on Wednesday, in the Hopwells area of Bristol near the suspension bridge, there was no sign of the animal or people searching.

Neither Avon and Somerset Police or the RSPCA had been notified of a sighting on Thursday afternoon. They confirmed no official searches were taking place.
At low tide on Thursday debris, logs and balls could be seen floating in the river.

Terry Guy, 51, said there had been a sighting near the city centre in February and said he thought it was impossible that a crocodile, if it was real, would make it to the bridge.
He said: "It could have been a log or a dead animal they saw.
"You don't really hear people talk about it that much.
"I think you have got to take it all with a pinch of salt."

A 30-year-old woman, cycling near to the suspension Bridge on her way home to Bedminster, added: "I think it's all in people's imagination. They are probably seeing logs. People have got really vivid imaginations.
"People like the idea of seeing a crocodile and want to believe it, even though its unlikely."

A spokeswoman for the RSPCA said they had not had any calls about a sighting.
She said if they were notified that someone had caught a crocodile they would try and help contain it.
She added: "Its not unknown for exotic animals to escape from either private properties or zoos.

"Over the years we've rescued different types of exotic animals and snakes.
"It's not impossible as people can own caimans with the right licence."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... arned.html

Mt Rea still claims he saw a crocodile. Is ir just a crock?

Jolyon Rea is adamant. "I know what I saw."

Back in 2014, the possibility a crocodile was roaming the River Avon was front-page news in Bristol - and it all started with Mr Rea, a bus driver.

From his initial report came a police investigation, national media interest and now a short film.
Created by film student Lucy Rowe, it is a light-hearted look back at a time when rumours of a sharp-toothed visitor took over the city.

The number 90 bus runs south to north in Bristol, crossing Bedminster Bridge as it nears the city centre. It was here, where the River Avon runs through the city's heart, that Mr Rea says he saw a crocodile on a winter's day in February 2014.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-bristol-66614266

One was reported crossing the M55 but a police search found nothing
though they did say so many reports came in that something did happen.

A pelican that escaped Blackpool zoo has eventually been captured in Yorkshire.

https://www.lancasterguardian.co.uk...well-in-knaresborough-north-yorkshire-4267746

A mate of ours photographed it in Heysham and posted the photo on Facebook. It has so far received 1,500 'likes'. After he posted it he was receiving phone calls from papers, including The Sunday Times. He said that he was happy for any papers to use it except (as a Liverpool fan), The Sun.

And a further link to his photo from the Lancaster Guardian:

https://www.lancasterguardian.co.uk...kpool-zoos-escaped-pelican-in-heysham-4263944

Last edited:

Man takes bull for ride

In Nebraska. As for why..

A man was pulled over by police after his 1,000 pound longhorn bull was seen sitting in the passenger seat of his modified sedan.

Patrol officers pulled the driver over, due to ‘citable issues’ with his passenger. However, police eventually decided to cut the bull and his owner some slack.

‘The officer chose to write him a warning and asked him to take the animal back home,’ Reiman said.

The driver was identified as Lee Meyer of Neligh, Nebraska. His bovine companion is an Ankole-Watusi bull named Howdy Doody.

Meyer and Howdy Doody are well known in the small town in Antelope County. Meyer even drove the bull in his modified sedan during a Fourth of July parade in 2019.

The striking Ankole-Watusi breed is an ancient breed of cattle originating about 6,000 years ago in ancient Egypt, according to Oklahoma State University’s Department of Animal and Food Sciences.

Ankole-Watusi bulls can weigh between 1000-1600 pounds, and can grow horns as large as eight feet long.
1693519016433.png

Video at link.

Police rescue 12ft python spotted slithering along West Bromwich street

Cops were called after a shocked resident spotted the huge reptile in Harwood Street, West Bromwich at around 1.30am today (Tue).

Officers arrived to discover the 12ft (3.6m) yellow python - one of world’s biggest snakes which are native to Southeast Asia - in the middle of the road.

But with the RSPCA unable to attend due to (there being no TV cameras there :rolleyes: ) the time of the call, it took three brave response officers to step in to rescue it. After putting a bag over its head and ushering it into a police van, the slippery suspect was taken to a vets to be checked over.

police-called-t--1061932.jpg

A West Midlands Police spokesperson said: “Our officers are not easily rattled when it comes to responding to unusual calls.”

https://www.birminghamworld.uk/news/west-bromwich-snake-4281559

maximus otter

This possum found itself in the wrong place when it decided to enter the orangutan enclosure at Perth Zoo this week:

Orangutan hurls possum out of its enclosure at Perth zoo​

Visitors at Perth Zoo were left shocked when an orangutan tossed out an unwanted intruder from its treehouse.
A possum, one of Australia’s cutest albeit annoying pests, found itself in the wrong enclosure and was flung from the treehouse by the orangutan around 1pm on Saturday.

In a video shared on Reddit, visitors were stunned at the sight, with one person exclaiming “oh my god”.

In an interview with 7NEWS.com.au, the person who filmed the encounter said that they “didn’t think [the orangutan] would throw [the possum] like a frisbee” and into another enclosure.

The camera shows the possum cartwheeling in the air and disappearing out of view, before panning back to the primate climbing out of the treehouse.
https://www.news.com.au/national/we...o/news-story/eb449234840108feb811509507e7bd1f

Back