• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Postbox Cosies

Unpopular opinion (when did that ever shut me up?) but have skin in the game in that I make a "living" via crafts and writing about textile history and I loathe yarn-bombing. It looks like it will get slimy and disgusting/covered with bird shit - a total waste of even crap acrylic yarn. It's "cutesy", twee and probably beloved by The Archers listeners. (Sorry Archers listeners).

Always aesthetically ugly, as well (to me, I know other folk love it and I get massively downvoted on crafting forums when I slag it off but I don't care).

Can't believe anyone would steal it but can believe someone might remove it to bin it. And they'd be doing a public service. There's some right now in a village near here and it makes me shudder every time I pass it. My hatred for it is visceral. I see it and want to blow-torch it. Want to but of course, wouldn't. Just makes me want to scream into the void.

Unpopular opinion (when did that ever shut me up?) but have skin in the game in that I make a "living" via crafts and writing about textile history and I loathe yarn-bombing. It looks like it will get slimy and disgusting/covered with bird shit - a total waste of even crap acrylic yarn. It's "cutesy", twee and probably beloved by The Archers listeners. (Sorry Archers listeners).

Always aesthetically ugly, as well (to me, I know other folk love it and I get massively downvoted on crafting forums when I slag it off but I don't care).

Can't believe anyone would steal it but can believe someone might remove it to bin it. And they'd be doing a public service. There's some right now in a village near here and it makes me shudder every time I pass it. My hatred for it is visceral. I see it and want to blow-torch it. Want to but of course, wouldn't. Just makes me want to scream into the void.

I don't dislike them, can't say I have any "love" for them either. However, I've often wondered about maintenance, practicality and hygiene with them.

Round here they get changed every few weeks and don't get scruffy odd thing is
I have never seen bird or any other crap on one never thought of it before but
now I wonder why, it's not lack of birds that's for sure for ever washing it off the car.
:dunno:

I imagine that spraying them with hair spray after placing them will keep them from getting too snazzy.

Why do they need to be hygienic? Try to avoid licking them and you'll be fine.:bthumbup:

If you were a postie having a shit stained piece of fabric on the box might put you at risk of infection. The Post Office don't welcome them and it's difficult to see how removing such an object could constitute a crime.

I was surprised when the police took interest but they did

I didn’t know whether to post this here or in the “Our Streets, pubs and Clubs are Not Safe” thread. But there is a postbox cosy robber active in Leigh on Sea…how low can you go?
Knitted postbox toppers stolen in Leigh-on-Sea https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-68360464
I believe, having been trained to spot the difference by my wife, that one is knitted and the other is, in fact, crochet.

Interesting double standards here, the police treat painting of postboxes as a crime.

Dartford postboxes painted like Mr Blobby and Creme Eggs​

A postbox that has been painted pink with yellow spots, and had googly eyes and red lips added to look like Mr Blobby

The "googly eyes" were added to the Mr Blobby postbox a few days after it was painted pink

A mystery artist is being sought by police in Dartford after postboxes were spray-painted to look like Mr Blobby and a Cadbury's Creme Egg.

Kent Police said the five postboxes were sprayed between 19 and 20 February on various roads in the area. People are split between those enjoying the new look, dubbing the mystery painter "Danksy", and those who worry that it brings the area's value down. Kent Police are treating the painting spree as criminal damage.

The recent re-sprays follow another 26 incidents of postboxes painted gold, mainly in the Temple Hill are of the town, between 31 January and 5 February. A man was arrested on 13 February in connection with the gold spray-painting and has since been released on bail until 4 May while inquiries continue.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-kent-68367893

Interesting double standards here, the police treat painting of postboxes as a crime.

Dartford postboxes painted like Mr Blobby and Creme Eggs​

A postbox that has been painted pink with yellow spots, and had googly eyes and red lips added to look like Mr Blobby

The "googly eyes" were added to the Mr Blobby postbox a few days after it was painted pink

A mystery artist is being sought by police in Dartford after postboxes were spray-painted to look like Mr Blobby and a Cadbury's Creme Egg.

Kent Police said the five postboxes were sprayed between 19 and 20 February on various roads in the area. People are split between those enjoying the new look, dubbing the mystery painter "Danksy", and those who worry that it brings the area's value down. Kent Police are treating the painting spree as criminal damage.

The recent re-sprays follow another 26 incidents of postboxes painted gold, mainly in the Temple Hill are of the town, between 31 January and 5 February. A man was arrested on 13 February in connection with the gold spray-painting and has since been released on bail until 4 May while inquiries continue.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-kent-68367893
First of all those stupid sickly twee knitted things then Mr Blobby. Things just went from bad to worse.

With the toppers if the PO did not like them they could be pulled off at every daily visit
and that would soon stop the practice, painting them is a very different thing you are
doing something that would take time and cost to put right, I would not be surprised
if this led to anything of the like being stopped.

... with the toppers if the PO did not like them they could be pulled off at every daily visit ...

You said pulled off *tee hee* ..

Seriously though, have we become so embittered that all there is to complain about is someone putting knitted designs on top of post boxes?. Hygiene concerns are feeble and next to none existent unless someone decides to eat their sandwich off the top of one. They're hardly vandalism are they?. I think they're quite cheerful, they don't obstruct the public or the post office's ability to use them, I've never seen one 'left to rot' in situ so I'm not going to see them 'put into room 101' yet.

On a list of things that get on my nerves (people who stand in doorways, noisy neighbours, all the way up to stuff we're discouraged to talk about here), post box cosies aren't even on my list of 'annoying'. I wouldn't make one myself though even if I knew how.

"JESUS CHRIST!. SOMEONE'S MADE SOMETHING DESIGNED TO MAKE OTHER PEOPLE SMILE THAT CAN EASILY BE REMOVED AND CAUSES NO PROBLEMS BEFORE IT IS!? bAN THIS SICK FILTH!"

Last edited:
You said pulled off *tee hee* ..

Seriously though, have we become so embittered that all there is to complain about is someone putting knitted designs on top of post boxes?. Hygiene concerns are feeble and next to none existent unless someone decides to eat their sandwich off the top of one. They're hardly vandalism are they?. I think they're quite cheerful, they don't obstruct the public or the post office's ability to use them, I've never seen one 'left to rot' in situ so I'm not going to see them 'put into room 101' yet.

On a list of things that get on my nerves (people who stand in doorways, noisy neighbours, all the way up to stuff we're discouraged to talk about here), post box cosies aren't even on my list of 'annoying'. I wouldn't make one myself though even if I knew how.

"JESUS CHRIST!. SOMEONE'S MADE SOMETHING DESIGNED TO MAKE OTHER PEOPLE SMILE THAT CAN EASILY BE REMOVED AND CAUSES NO PROBLEMS BEFORE IT IS!? bAN THIS SICK FILTH!"

I'd set dogs on those who put cosies on postboxes yet I'm famed far and wide for my sense of humour (it even irks some people).

I'd set dogs on those who put cosies on postboxes yet I'm famed far and wide for my sense of humour (it even irks some people).
Those who put cosies on postboxes probably have a pocket full of dog biscuits and would charm your dogs. Then they'd give you a Werther's Original or a ginger nut biscuit. You know it, I know it, they know it and the dogs know it. You wouldn't stand a chance.

Round here they get changed every few weeks and don't get scruffy odd thing is
I have never seen bird or any other crap on one never thought of it before but
now I wonder why, it's not lack of birds that's for sure for ever washing it off the car.
:dunno:
Now you mention it - I can't ever remember seeing bird poo on a post box.

The answer would seem to be yes.

It’s a way for the [mainly] women to show off their work & add some colour & humour to their neighbourhood for a while. Personally I'd applaud rather than moan.

Re lack of birdshit on postboxes, I think they’re just too low for birds to use as a perch. There’s always a tree or house that’s gonna give a higher & better view.

The answer would seem to be yes.

It’s a way for the [mainly] women to show off their work & add some colour & humour to their neighbourhood for a while. Personally I'd applaud rather than moan.

Re lack of birdshit on postboxes, I think they’re just too low for birds to use as a perch. There’s always a tree or house that’s gonna give a higher & better view.
What, you mean birds don't cr*p on things just to annoy us?

Back