• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
A

Anonymous

I think I read this in "Behold a Pale Horse" by William Cooper, but I'm not quite sure. Basically, the story reads this way.
During WWII, Hitler dispatched soldiers, scientists, etc. to the South Pole for various reasons. As it became more evident that the Allies were going to be victorious, U-boats were used to ferry Germany's top scientists and others, along with massive amounts of supplies, to a secret base already established by earlier groups. These supplies supposedly included German "flying discs" (a seperate fortean topic in and of itself). Long story short the plan works, nobody knows the better, and the secret underground base grows and flourishes.
Cut to some time later. An expidition to the South Pole meets disaster, and is forced to return to South America. The "disaster" revolves around being met by UFO's, etc. and includes at least one (memory is foggy here) aircraft from the expidition being shot down.
Anyone else with a better memory than me (or perhaps the above book) recall this? While I think it is more likely than not complete fabrication, it does make for an entertaining Sci-Fi legend.

The same story is told in Projeckt UFO by W.A. Harbinson. He had also written several works of fiction on the same theme. This book presented the alleged facts behind the fiction.

It covers a whole range of topics from Nazi rocket science, Arctic exploration, UFOs, genetic engineering, mind control etc etc.

I highly recommend Resurrection (Projekt Saucer Book 5) written by W. A. Harbinson - a great book. It contains everything you're after, plus a lot more :)

A writer called W.A.Harbisinson explored the theme in a fictional book called Genesis &/or Revelation

I think WA Haribinson? was reitterating things stated in earlier fiction/Non fiction books about the UFO scene from the 60's 70's. Also it may be worth stating that the National Geographic "survey and exploration" of Antartica soon after WW2 was a rather extravigant occasion and may have not have been entirely what it seemed. Also alot of rumours were produced.

Operation Highjump?

What does everyone know about it. I know it was an Antarctic expedition by the US Navy in 1947 to apparently test equipment and survey it Antarctica but does anybody know any of the other theories behind its other purposes. Ive found a few but are there any decent theories as to why the USA spent so much money on a goose chase, that was cut short to 2 months from the planned six, in the most inhospitable part of the world when it was busy enough with down-sizing its armed forces (it sent 15 ships, a submarine, an aircraft carrier and 4700 men), assisting rebuilding the rest of the world, healing its economy and other more important things in a post war world?

Nazi Super Duper Science

According to various books, magazine articles and websites, the Nazis constructed UFOs, conquered gravity, planted a military base or colony on the Moon, established friendly relations with nasty alien Greys and even worse Deros from inside the earth - obtaining super-scientific weapons from both sources, invented time travel and terraformed (if that's the right word) large sections of Antarctica.

Excuse me, but these were the birds who LOST World War Two!

I strongly recommend “Black Sun” by Nicholas Goodrick-Clarke: http://tinyurl.com/zqae4. Antarctica crops up throughout the text, but there’s also a chapter dedicated to “Nazi UFOs, Antarctica and Aldebaran”. It’s a scholarly (New York University Press) rather than sensationalist account and a must-have for anyone interested in the post-war Nazi mythos that survives to this day amongst Neo-Nazi movements and conspiracy theorists.
The wackiest of these has to be Jan van Helsing, who claims that the Third Reich survives in secret bases in the Bermuda Triangle, Canary Islands, Himalayas and Antarctic with an army of 6 million (including Aldebarans) and a fleet of 22,000 flying saucers awaiting the right moment to intervene and thwart the world-domination plans of the Illuminati (who, of course, are mainly Jewish). He even claimed (in the mid 90s) that it wasn’t oil or WMDs that the US/UN were after in Iraq, but German flying saucer bases!
Goodrick-Clarke also covers some interesting historical facts that have fed into the stories of the Third Reich’s survival in the Antarctic. These include the Nazi Anarctic expedition of 1938/9, the late surrender of German U-boats U-977 and U-530 at Mar del Plata in Argentina and the post-war Allied Operation Highjump in Antarctica.
U-977 and U-530 had left Norway a few months prior to their surrender with unusually young crews and stocks of food, cigarettes and oil barrels far in excess of what would usually be carried. Speculation began that they had been en route to Antarctica and soon Argentine newspapers were reporting Hitler’s escape there by U-boat.
Operation Highjump was a massive international expedition lead by U.S. Admiral R.E. Byrd in 1946/7 fed further into speculation that the Reich lived on in the Antarctic, particularly when the expedition was reportedly abandoned after losing 4 planes. More speculation in the Latin American press, in Chile this time, had the US/Soviet/Norwegian/UK force withdrawing under threat from a formidable, but unidentified, military foe.
This theme was developed in book and magazine speculation into the early 50s when emerging details of Nazi development of saucer shaped aircraft towards the war’s end and the flying saucer phenomenon combined to add to the mythos. Writers like Erich Halik added Nazi saucer bases in the Arctic to the mix. In the 60s Michael X. Barton extended German operations into South Africa and Argentina (where Hitler was alive and well) as well as the Antarctic. Using authentic accounts of German saucer-shaped aircraft as a staring point, he updated matters with Nazi scientists working on the latest models in secret bases at the aforementioned locations. In the 70s Neo-Nazis like Wilhelm Lundig and Ernst Zundel developed these stories to herald an imminent Nazi resurgence, a theme which was the subject of much literature into the 80s. Goodrick-Clarke follows the development of these themes up as far as van Helsing’s theories of the 90s. Fascinating reading!

More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Swabia (caveat lector!)

ALSO.......

HIDDEN HISTORY
Britain's Secret War in Antarctica 2006-01-06

At the end of World War II, Britain sent a covert mission to investigate anomalous activities near its secret base at Maudheim in eastern Antarctica and to seek out and destroy a subterranean Nazi haven.

Britain's activities on Antarctica, though less documented and more clandestine, are just as intriguing as the supposed much-vaunted Operation Highjump. Unfortunately for Britain, though victorious in the War, it was bankrupted and humiliated by the two new superpowers. But Britain was in a position to regain some pride and surreptitiously upset its supposed allies with the final, decisive battle against the surviving Nazis: a battle that would never be recorded in the history books; a battle that would make its claims on the continent more legitimate; but, most importantly, a battle that ended the war that it had been compelled to wage.

COMPLETE STORY HERE Brrr. its cold here

ruffready said:
ALSO.......

HIDDEN HISTORY
Britain's Secret War in Antarctica 2006-01-06

At the end of World War II, Britain sent a covert mission to investigate anomalous activities near its secret base at Maudheim in eastern Antarctica and to seek out and destroy a subterranean Nazi haven.

COMPLETE STORY HERE Brrr. its cold here

Not enough collaborating evidence for me but a good yarn.

Thanks for the link, Ruff.

SoundDust link is a good one, and the official reasons were down to:

(1) train personnel and test material in the frigid zones;
(2) consolidate and extend American sovereignty over the largest practical area of the Antarctic continent;
(3) determine the feasibility of establishing and maintaining bases in the Antarctic and to investigate possible base sites;
(4) develop techniques for establishing and maintaining air bases on the ice, with particular attention to the later applicability of such techniques to operations in interior Greenland, where, it was claimed, physical and climatic conditions resembled those in Antarctica, and
(5) amplify existing knowledge of hydrographic, geographic, geological, meteorological and electromagnetic conditions in the area.

i.e. your basic Cold War Yankee Imperialism :D

Earlier thread on Nazi Bases here:
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=470

I read the whole of James Roberts story (Ruff's link, above) with interest.
Plenty of good historical research there, but it falls down in the heart of the story, the supposed British attack on the base. Not one single name there that can be checked against other records, just 'the scientist', 'the Norwegian', 'the Major', etc. Even the SAS source is not named.

Still, there is plenty of circumstancial evidence that the Nazis did have an interest in Antartica, and may well have had U-boat bases there.

Coincidentally enough I was at the Greenwich Maritime Museum yesterday; one of the exhibits in their Trade & Empire room ia a huge map of the Empire at its height - including 'Falkland Island Dependencies' which accounted for a certain amount of the Antartcic.

Personally I would have though that the official explanation was alarming enough - not mainly scientific or benevolent, but an unabashed attempt to push out the other nations (UK and Latin American) and extend US military power to a new continent.

What do you find questionable in the official account?

Britains Secret War in Antarctica

Satellite Helps Detect Massive Rivers Under Antarctica
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 120954.htm
British scientists have discovered rivers the size of the Thames in London flowing hundreds of miles under the Antarctica ice shelf by examining small changes in elevation, observed by ESA’s ERS2 satellite, in the surface of the oldest, thickest ice in the region, according to an article published in Nature this week. The finding, which came as a great surprise to the scientists, challenges the widely held assumption that sub glacial lakes evolved in isolated conditions for several millions of years and raises the possibility that large floods of water from deep within the ice’s interior may have generated huge floods that reached the ocean in the past and may do so again…….
You may/or may not remember that the Russians were threatening to drill a hole into sub glacial Lake Vostok in Antarctica hoping to find signs of ancient life. The Americans were against it on the grounds that they would contaminate it. Then someone noticed that there were rivers under the ice that connected the lakes. So, it would be fruitless drilling, as the water would be contaminated by other water sources on the surface.

It was only today that I made the connection with some articles that I read in Nexus some time ago called “Britains Secret War in Antarctica”. http://www.nexusmagazine.com/articles/SecretWar1.html
Apparently the Nazi’s had laid claim to part of Antarctica in the run up to WWII. Even though it was already claimed by Norway they called it Neuschwabenland and claimed it as their own. Towards the end of hostilities some SAS troops were sent there secretly by the British to see what Adolph was up to. They had previously had a radio message from the advanced squad that most of them had been wiped out. The guy who gave the interview was one of the back up squad who went there to sort things out. They found an ice-free area and a cave/tunnel that led to a huge cavern where there where Nazi’s working below and blasted the hell out of it. The story goes on to say that the British pulled out after this and several years later the Americans sent an expedition to the same place. None of this is recorded in the official history and the reason that it suddenly interested me was that dozens of U Boats had gone missing at the time and it was stated that they were able to use the under-ice tunnels that crossed the breadth of the Antarctic continent. The rivers that have only been discovered this year?

Is this some kind of piss take or what? I think an explanation would be in order.

almond13 said:
Is this some kind of piss take or what? I think an explanation would be in order.

Eloquently put. What, specifically, do you think is a piss-take? 'Anything one reads in Nexus' would be my instinctive answer. :D

Incidently, the search function turns up these:

(links deleted as threads merged - stu)

I suspect your thread will become part of one of these.

You may also want to search for pole-reversal.

theyithian said:
Incidently, the search function turns up these:

(links deleted as threads merged - stu)

I suspect your thread will become part of one of these.
In fact it became part of both, as they're all now merged.

It was only today that I made the connection with some articles that I read in Nexus some time ago called “Britains Secret War in Antarctica”.

Thanks for the link and all the info, I will follow it all up when time permits.

As for the Nazi UFO thing, I read one or two books and found it to be a dead end. The hunt for Zero Point and Man Made UFO’s 1944-1994 etc.

This, however, does seem to have some supporting evidence.
The original point of the post was that –simply- they claim to have found the river/s under Antarctica this year, when they were already known about from the war years. Or Not. Plus the fact that the Americans did not want the Russians to drill into Vostok.

Re: "Anomaly" Discovered Beneath Ice in Antarctica

jonnygoodtimes said:
WASHINGTON (AMP) - A spy satellite image of Antarctica reveals an "anomaly" two miles beneath the ice that could be a man-made structure, according to Congressional investigators who are demanding release of the image from the Pentagon.

If it's something the U.S. military has constructed down there, then they're violating the international Antarctic Treaty," said an aide to Nicole Fontaine, the European Parliament's French president who in the past has accused the U.S. of spying on European citizens. "If not, then it's something that's at least 12,000 years old, which is how long ice has covered Antarctica. That would make it the oldest man-made structure on the planet. The Pentagon should heed the calls of Congress and release whatever it's hiding."

http://www.ufodigest.com/anomaly.html

The only problem with is that it's FICTION.

Doesn't anybody try to track stuff back?

Raising Atlantis

The U.S. military has found ancient ruins beneath Antarctica -- and activated the ultimate weapon. Now Dr. Conrad Yeats, an iconoclastic archeologist, and Serena Serghetti, a beautiful Vatican linguist, must unlock the origins of human civilization before a global cataclysm ends it.

Atlantis Mapping Project

Fiction's the Genre that Ain't Real

For heaven's sake, this is part of the @lantis TV promotional materials which clotted up Fortean and Paranormal lists six or seven years back. Looks at though somebody's been updating the junk, though, which CAN'T be innocent.

Guess what, you can't actually fire up a stardrive using the STAR TREK ENGINEERING MANUAL, and BABYLON 5 ain't real either.

You can examine whatever you want with yourself. Mudding already murky waters with fiction you will be attacked. I'm sure nobody would have a problem with you discussing that book in the book thread.

So back OT....?

Re: well ain't you clever (mom always thot so)

jonnygoodtimes said:
So I take it that you are instructing me that when I examine an idea, I have to limit my self to non-fiction?

Not at all! I would have absolutely no moral or ethical right to do that even if I wanted to, which I most assuredly DO NOT.

But I've seen this @lantisTV guff treated as fact on so many different Fortean and Paranormal lists over the past seven or eight years, and taken seriously so many times, that I felt myself duty-bound to unbutton my shirt, take a very deep breath and scream "FICTION!!"

[My personal belief is that there may very well be evidence of civilization beneath the Antarctic ice.]

P. S. Moby Dick isn't real? Oh my God....

Mr. Goodtimes, I believe the point that Tony Blair made is that while the Fortean examines some pretty weird and unbelievable materials - putative World War Two Nazi military bases on the Moon, for just one classic example - he/she attempts to treat even the most outre materials with the utmost objectivity possible, WITHOUT adding FURTHER FICTION to the ALREADY broiling mess.

That's because the Fortean is a FOLKLORIST, among many other things. And all the libraries I know shelve Folklore with Social Studies and NOT with Fiction.

P. S. My own all-time favorite author isn't Charles Fort (mea culpa) but H. P. Lovecraft.

Re: ?

jonnygoodtimes said:
ut, haven't I tried to at least breathe some life into the thread?

Of course, and a unforgiveably belated welcome to the list.

We Americans have to stick together against these Brits. Remember, they tried to KILL us in the 1770s. <big Fortean grin>

Come to think of it, though, my Hessian ancestors fought on THEIR side. Hmm....

john said
quote*hey here's a clue...read the thread that we are in right now...especially how it starts... Laughing*

Yes, that is why actual info on projects would help. If you wanted to "breathe life" into this thread then please do.

Back