• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
FB_IMG_1681065718573.jpg

Next question how/will Disney ruin it?

Star Wars was first "ruined" with the Holiday Special in 1978. George was buggering it up himself from 1983 - the Ewoks, plus all the Endor stuff is pretty inert, bringing back the Death Star, the fact that the Jabba's Palace bit is completely removed from the rest of the film. Then there were the shitty Ewok movies, the "Special Editions" with the unnecessary CGI clumsily inserted. Finally we had the abominations that were the prequels.

Nothing Disney has released has been as egregious as Episodes I to III, some people may like them but those people are wrong. Disney's stuff has been conservative and dull and it's clung to the tropes and iconography of the original trilogy - fairness the prequels did this too, just not as much. The biggest issue is that there's been too much "content" it's been like a vast river of industrial slurry.

Disclaimer: I'm not name dropping, not pretending I 'knew' Rian Johnson or he knew me or we were friends in any way, I've got no Star Was anecdotes to share about the director at all .. but an old 'acquaintance' (fellow student) from North Warwickshire College of Technology and Art in Nuneaton sent me a pm one day which basically went " .. and what about Rian Johnson!" .. "Who's that?" .. "He's making a STAR WARS film now!" .. "Who sorry?" ...

It turns out/turned out that when we were all in year 2 doing our film courses, some newer students joined in .. one day, a ginger haired student wanted to make a TERMINATOR inspired short film, I was the only student passionate about and being trained in creating film, theatre and TV make up so he asked me to make up a kid as the battle damaged TERMINATOR. So I did.

It was zero budget because we were teenagers but I had a basic make up kit with some theatre grease paint sticks, some copies of FANGORIA magazine as reference, some liquid latex, some tin foil and an old stereo that I was told I was allowed to smash up so I could steal the wires and computer chips etc from it .. and I had some water based spirit gum to glue it all together .. and someone had a shop dummy head so I got some catering foil and used the back of my thumb and a hair dryer to make a fake metal plate I could glue the stereo stuff onto including something that looked close enough to look like robot eye in the correct spot. I glued the tin foil with parts onto the actor's face then stippled sponged liquid latex around that to blend it into the actor's skin. I let that dry, back brushed it with face powder then carefully peeled it back in places so I could fake make it looking like the actor had a real hole in his face containing an endo skeleton. Then the actor walked around our college wearing this stuff to freak out other students just for shits and giggles :)

.. and then decades later, I learned that this ginger haired kid is trusted with multi million dollar projects for Kathleen Kennedy making official Star Wars films! .. but before all of that, he was wearing a crappy beard he'd found somewhere being 'bro' hugged by me when I was 17 (I've been told) in my Rolling Stones T Shirt that my Dad gave me in this photo .. He's now a respected and highly paid director and I'm now and a waiter in Norfolk with kidney stones ..

(left to right: Rian, Me, Dan (little brother of Andy Coulson, ex editor of The Mirror newspaper), Raj (no idea what happened to him), Faye (ex goth, skate boarder, police woman in Australia and current married Mother) and Justin (I think he still works at East Midlands airport now?)

so anyway. DRUMROLL .. here's Rian Johnson when he was 17 as I've been told. If anyone reading wants to send him this image, fill your boots! .. then laugh at me if I've been told wrong ..

aRBFCRian.jpg

me making up his 'Sarah Conner' the day he filmed it ..

aRBCFrian2.jpg

Last edited:
@Swifty - contact him and ask him for a job!
I doubt he'd even remember me (and that's if it is actually him in that pic as I've been told) and even if it is, I wouldn't want to work under a Disney contracted Star Wars film with minimum involvement from the OG's of the original trilogy ... and even if I didn't mind doing that? .. I wouldn't want to spend a large chunk of time away from my other half living in some cheap hotel somewhere working on an 'after thought' re generation series.

I can't stomach the idea of watching this 'cute' CGI baby Yoda character. I'd like to visit his sets apart from the fact that they're probably about as visitor friendly as visiting Buckingham Palace if the Royals were there that day. I'd do an unpaid apart from expenses week doing some basic low tech make ups just so I could brag to myself I'd worked on a 'Star Wars film' which we all know it isn't really anymore. I was once able to talk the make up artist Tom Sullivan into doing some bits and pieces for free for an Evil Dead fan film that I was also doing some bits and pieces for free for fun because it was some American high school kids making it so they didn't have a budget. Tom Sullivan created all of the make ups for the original The Evil Dead then other stuff for Evil Dead 2. I made some prosthetics and small props for their fan film Return to the Woods and Tom Sullivan made a 'chalice of the dead' and filmed a cameo of himself as a deadbeat drunkard dad that was edited into their film by them.

So know I think about it Mytho, I would get a kick out of inventing then sculpting, casting them making a low tech latex mask that some extra could wear that would only be seen in the back ground, about 50ft away for about 1 second (not being sarcastic) so I could bore people and go "LOOK, HERE IT COMES! .. I MADE THAT ONE!! THAT'S MINE!!" .. then my mates could go *yawn* "yeah. we know. you've already fucking told us only about a thousand times now."

aRTTWbar.jpg

FX004.jpg

This would be who you'd see in the unlikely scenario that the real Rouge-1 Rian gets re-hired by the real chief in post Kathleen Kennedy to make another one and if I wanted to which won't happen on all of those points but it's fun to pretend.
FX005.jpg

FX006.jpg

So in a fantasy scenario where he'd go "If you want to, send me a mask and I'll see if we can use it but I'm a bit busy right now but thanks for getting back in touch and ....." ..

I'd re use this above mould that I've kept but paint it perhaps pastel blue or something and maybe insert some tubes from its nose to its neck or whatever so it could be a 'blink and you'll miss it' alien just walking past.

Attachments

• aRTTWbar2.jpg
    aRTTWbar2.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
The next TV series...

Looking forward to that. My 9yo daughter loves the new stuff. We get into it.

Wasn’t Ahsoka Tano killed during order 66 in ROTS aka Episode 3? If so, that would make this really backdated in the timeline. I didn’t watch much of the animated stuff but I know she was young in that. Bit confused.

Wasn’t Ahsoka Tano killed during order 66 in ROTS aka Episode 3? If so, that would make this really backdated in the timeline. I didn’t watch much of the animated stuff but I know she was young in that. Bit confused.
I think she was in either The Mandalorian or The Book of Boba Fett, both of which are after Return of the Jedi.

Yeah the logic for Ahsoka surviving is that she got disgusted with the Jedi order and decided to abandon the order. Which meant the death squads didn't know where to find her, much like with Obi-wan.

I am just not watching all those Disney+ star wars series. I started with the Mandalorian, then after the beginning of season 3 I was confused about why they didn't have an episode of how Grogu got back with Din, so I found out you wath season 1 & 2 of the Madelorian, then watch season 1 of Boba Fett, the watch season 3 of The Madelorian.

Last night I tried to watch the first episode of Obi Wan Kenobi but I was too bugged that he never took the saddle off the camel thing he rode. I realize it is an older show. I watched Andor and then watched Rogue one, it was weird to see the actors in a later story a lot younger.

I am just not watching all those Disney+ star wars series. I started with the Mandalorian, then after the beginning of season 3 I was confused about why they didn't have an episode of how Grogu got back with Din, so I found out you wath season 1 & 2 of the Madelorian, then watch season 1 of Boba Fett, the watch season 3 of The Madelorian.

Last night I tried to watch the first episode of Obi Wan Kenobi but I was too bugged that he never took the saddle off the camel thing he rode. I realize it is an older show. I watched Andor and then watched Rogue one, it was weird to see the actors in a later story a lot younger.
This week I was in an Airbnb which had Disney+. I’m seriously thinking about jumping in for all the SW. It’s endless. And with Ahsoka coming soon…

But it's all about the 'hunched shoulders' instead Mytho in the art work. 'In the closet' gags were just something Kevin Smith did back then in his 'Viewaskewniverse' as he called it. His brother was/is gay so he was always dropping gay 'gags' in his films and comic books. Hence the 3-PO getting 'head' instead Easter egg.

It was reported that a local school’s cafeteria took some fake money bills that looked real but had the phrase “may the 4th be with you” on the bills and turned the fake money into the bank.

Of course, the bank report the incident as counterfeit money, and the school was out the money.

Brian Hart

30 May at 15:09 ·

My take on the 'Very hungry Sarlacc' from The book of Boba Fett, I used an old Revell 1/160 Slave 1.
The base is basically carved foam built up with clay and textured with sand and the beak of the Sarlacc is a humble pistachio shell. I've still got a bit more work to do on it but almost there
1f642.png

asarclacc001.jpg

Back