• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Things That Scared You (But Aren't Obviously 'Scary')

Yeah, I'm a big fan of "Doctor Who" and was exactly the right age to have the crap scared out of me by that story (namely "The Web of Fear" broadcast in early 1968). The scene you refer to made a similar impression on me, along with 3 or 4 other web/foam/fungus related moments from the same story. It was a story that was mostly missing from the archives (for many years, only episode 1 of the 6 episodes was known to exist). Happily, episodes 2,4,5 and 6 were returned to the BBC about 10 years ago and are now available for anyone to enjoy. For a story of that era, it holds up pretty well, directed solidly by Douglas Camfield. The monsters in the story were the Yeti (rather than the Cybermen, who haven't - so far - used the underground tunnels to invade, but they did use the sewers of London in "The Invasion", which was broadcast later the same year, and was one of the few stories of the Troughton era that didn't feature foamy type stuff as a menace!).

But of course, both of these stories, and indeed "Doctor Who" in general, are meant to be scary (for kids, at least!) ... so I suppose we ought not to be discussing them in this thread.

The Cybernauts were robots featured in a couple of episodes of "The Avengers" in the late 60s (entitled "The Cybernauts" and "Return of the Cybernauts") and one episode of "The New Avengers" in the late 70s ("The Last of the Cybernauts...?").
Yes of course, it was the Yeti. I think I had a brain fart.

What's interesting is it now all looks so tame but at the time it wasn't anything but. I was eleven years old. I wonder if that was shown to and eleven year old in todays society they'd probably just laugh.

Yes of course, it was the Yeti. I think I had a brain fart.

What's interesting is it now all looks so tame but at the time it wasn't anything but. I was eleven years old. I wonder if that was shown to and eleven year old in todays society they'd probably just laugh.
Yes, they undoubtedly would - if they could be bothered to look up from their device for more than 2 seconds. I was 6 when "The Web of Fear" was broadcast and it haunted my dreams for probably a couple of decades - but in a good way. I was one of those kids who actually enjoyed being mildly discomfited by scary stuff on telly. I bet most people in here were probably "one of those kids" too.

Last edited:
Yes, they undoubtedly would - if they could be bothered to look up from their device for more than 2 seconds. I was 6 when "The Web of Fear" was broadcast and it haunted my dreams for probably a couple of decades - but in a good way. I was one of those kids who actually enjoyed being mildly discomfited by scary stuff on telly. I bet most people in here were probably "one of those kids" too.
I was about seven when Web of Fear came on, and my parents reported me terrified of the Underground for years afterwards. It was the conflation of the known (the Tube) with the unknown (the Yeti). When the Dr Who episode 'Blink' was first shown, all my children were mid teens, yet two of them watched sitting beside me on the sofa, clutching each other with fear (particularly when the Angels are surrounding the Tardis and the lights are failing.

Children can still be scared.

I was about seven when Web of Fear came on, and my parents reported me terrified of the Underground for years afterwards. It was the conflation of the known (the Tube) with the unknown (the Yeti). When the Dr Who episode 'Blink' was first shown, all my children were mid teens, yet two of them watched sitting beside me on the sofa, clutching each other with fear (particularly when the Angels are surrounding the Tardis and the lights are failing.

Children can still be scared.
Indeed. "Blink" is a remarkable slice of "Doctor Who" in many ways, with the terror factor cranked up about as high as it could ever be. Somehow, the fact that the Doctor himself is absent for the most part (and is seemingly out of the picture because he has already fallen victim to the Angels) ups the feeling of unease that surrounds the nightmarishness. The combination of its unusually cerebral timey-wimey plot and the frightening imagery makes it a lasting treasure that I think transcends mere "Doctor Who" in a way very few other episodes have. It's quite strange to think that was 16 years ago already!

Last edited:
The Weeping Angels have been overused since but when they first appeared they scared me enough never mind the kids.
I couldn't agree more. They were remarkably effective in their debut, but they should have left it there, allowing them to be an eternal enigma. It ended up getting pretty silly. I mean, a Weeping Angel of Liberty, anyone?

I couldn't agree more. They were remarkably effective in their debut, but they should have left it there, allowing them to be an eternal enigma. It ended up getting pretty silly. I mean, a Weeping Angel of Liberty, anyone?
I also agree. I think Moffat was being pressed to make 'marketable' monsters that could be produced as figurines or collectibles. One appearance wouldn't work, so they had to have more stories.

Get in, tell the story, get out should be his new maxim.

.. I have the same reaction to the stretch of M5 outside Bristol, where it's elevated with solid walls on one sid (northbound I think). I have to keep my eyes strictly front...
A bit late to reply but you are not alone. I'm not a driver but even as a passenger I plead with Mr J to keep in the left lane. The bugger never does and I just keep my eyes closed. I mentioned it to my Auntie and she hates that bit too and 'gets it'.

We need a M5 Wynhol Viaduct support group!

Sean Connery in the early Bond movies - I knew he was supposed to be attractive to women but my God he was so HAIRY. I imagined his chest hair extending all down his back - nightmare. Not like my hero, the non-hirsute Simon Templar.
Now me, I like hairy men. Mmmm.
Bargbarella catchman.jpg

A bit late to reply but you are not alone. I'm not a driver but even as a passenger I plead with Mr J to keep in the left lane. The bugger never does and I just keep my eyes closed. I mentioned it to my Auntie and she hates that bit too and 'gets it'.

We need a M5 Wynhol Viaduct support group!

For those of us not familiar with the split M5 near Gordano -this isn't objectively scary but gives me the wilberts!

Chris Guy | The M5 Footbridge

0_M5-near-Clevedon.jpg

Oh God, it's even worse in photographs...

I now know that there is somewhere I must never EVER go.

There used to be a high narrow flyover in Birmingham city centre. Going over it on the top deck of a double decker bus, I think I actually blacked out for a few seconds. Has it gone in the reworkings of that part of town?

Oh, you guys would love the Millau Viaduct then.

"As of September 2020, it is the tallest bridge in the world, having a structural height of 336.4 metres (1,104 ft)"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millau_Viaduct

View attachment 68028
No no no no no.

I have to admit to closing my eyes going over the West Gate bridge in Melbourne. I can't close my eyes on other bridges because I'm always driving, but when I go to Oz, my daughter (who lives there) drives. Otherwise I'd close my eyes all the time. You haven't lived until you've been my passenger going over the Humber bridge...

No no no no no.
It's okay - you don't have to go over the viaduct if you're down that way.
You can take the old route instead. (blue)
Turn off the A75 and nip down through the valley and the old town of Millau on the D809.
Okay so it take 20 minutes longer but I bet it's much more pleasant.
In fact, I guess it takes a couple of hours longer cos you'll stop in Millau for lunch, right?
1690124861221.png

It's okay - you don't have to go over the viaduct if you're down that way.
You can take the old route instead. (blue)
Turn off the A75 and nip down through the valley and the old town of Millau on the D809.
Okay so it take 20 minutes longer but I bet it's much more pleasant.
In fact, I guess it takes a couple of hours longer cos you'll stop in Millau for lunch, right?
View attachment 68032
I shall definitely be taking the scenic route next time I'm down that way. The long, scenic route, with lunch. And no utterly terrifying examples of civil engineering, hopefully.

I recently went on a train journey down to London, and discovered (well, I've always sort of thought it, but this really cemented the feeling) that I get creeped out by groups of trees in fields.

Not little woods or copses, but otherwise bare fields where they have a group of maybe half a dozen trees just left randomly, surrounded by space. Rationally I know these will be pheasant or fox coverts and that they are good for wildlife, but there just seems to be something about these trees, blocking the view of a small patch of countryside, that makes my brain go 'nope, not going anywhere near that.'

I blame M R James, myself.
A bunch of trees in a field in North Carolina that hides something very scary
goldsboro.JPG

The reason why it's scary https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1961_Goldsboro_B-52_crash
I have a friend who lives about 50 miles from there and passes that way on a regular basis, he didn't realise what is in the field until I told him.

I recently went on a train journey down to London, and discovered (well, I've always sort of thought it, but this really cemented the feeling) that I get creeped out by groups of trees in fields.

Not little woods or copses, but otherwise bare fields where they have a group of maybe half a dozen trees just left randomly, surrounded by space. Rationally I know these will be pheasant or fox coverts and that they are good for wildlife, but there just seems to be something about these trees, blocking the view of a small patch of countryside, that makes my brain go 'nope, not going anywhere near that.'

I blame M R James, myself.
Meant to say that little woods like that in Cheshire often surround ponds.

When I was about 8 I was moved out of the room I shared with my younger sister to a room connected to the main house by at that time an open verandah.
The toilet was outside as well and I was always nervous about going out to use it at night.
I also used to be afraid that there was something hiding under my bed.
Oh.... Don't mention something under your bed..... I used to get visitations from a big evil black form that terrified me for years. Night terrors kind of thing. I swear I was always awake but who knows... anyway, one night I was in bed and like an idiot I thought , I wonder what would happen if I looked under my bed. Yea. Genius.ANYWAY , no sooner had I leaned over to look when I was grabbed by something and violently pulled to the floor and it seemed like it took far too long to get to the floor , ostensibly three feet down but it took ages. So I land on my back with my legs bent but feet on the carpet. I distinctly remember looking up at my bedroom door and seeing my huge Cinderella Night Songs poster above my head. Then I began to spin round faster and faster and a feeling like I was in some vortex..... This seemed to go on for I don't know how long and I could feel a weight pushing down on me , screaming but no sound coming out.... Then all of a sudden I was on my bed again. Ironically when this happened to me over the years when it always appeared it would spin me round on my bed . And I could see a black shape . And I knew when it was going to happen because I would get an overwhelming sense of absolute terror. So....yea.... After that I liked no space between mattress and floor. But when I thought it was all over ..... Years later.... But that's another story

But when I thought it was all over ..... Years later.... But that's another story
Oh do tell, unless it's too upsetting for you of course.

From when I used to get night terrors/sleep paralysis I know that feeling of dread and knowing it was going to happen, but that was as an adult not a child! Sounds truly awful for you.

Oh do tell, unless it's too upsetting for you of course.

From when I used to get night terrors/sleep paralysis I know that feeling of dread and knowing it was going to happen, but that was as an adult not a child! Sounds truly awful for you.
It is the most terrifying and disturbing experience , is it not ?? The feeling of dread and foreboding is as bad as the night terrors . I had it from 17 to nearly 30. Regularly. And it followed me about !!

Th
It is the most terrifying and disturbing experience , is it not ?? The feeling of dread and foreboding is as bad as the night terrors . I had it from 17 to nearly 30. Regularly. And it followed me about !!
Then when it had ceased for years and years.... Four years ago I moved from a sheep farm to a top floor flat in a lovely old building . About a year or so ago , I was in bed but couldn't sleep. My bedroom is next to my front door which 8 can see as I always have my bedroom door open. So... This night , I was lying on my side , annoyed I couldn't fall asleep. Then I hear the front door open and shut and little footsteps across the floor and something gets into my bed and spoons me is the only way I can describe it. Whatever it was seemed to be half my size and again I had this sense of dread. Then....then I feel little cold kisses on my neck which was terrifying and I was paralyzed but I thrashed and screamed and swore and suddenly it was gone. It was absolutely bizarre. DID I fall asleep?? I can't decide whether this is my imagination or it bloody happened ??!! Since then it hasn't happened again... My last gf refused point blank to sleep in there without me !! All this weird stuff in the past and when I thought it was over it reappears in this bizarre horrible way.... I don't know what to think !!

Back