• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Tech Help (Beyond This Forum)

Thanks to all in the Hive Mind for previous assistance over Microsoft Word, much appreciated!

May I run the current woe past you? The "print screen" button on my keyboard seems to have packed it in and I'm not sure why. This makes screen captures and cut-and-paste extraordinarily tricky right now and none of the suggested fixes I've picked up on appear to work. Has anyone dealt with this before and how did you set it right? with thanks et c
Finally worked it out and all function is back as it should be.

The vertical scroll bar on the browser also started misbehaving - the combination of cursor and mouse would "grip" the scroll thing, but movement would be jerky and sluggish, there'd be a lot of latency with the scroll icon responding slowly or not at all, and trying to scroll up, it somehow activated the big X at the top right of the screen and shut the whole damn thing off, even if the cursor was nowhere near it.

I reflected that the keyboard and the mouse are the oldest parts of the system and are now on their third computer box/monitor - I'd just never bothered replacing them when upgrading everything else, as, well, you don't think to.

Wondering if these workhorse devices, the ones you never really think about, might just have an finite life like anything else and (in the case of the mouse) being at least ten years old, had hit a sort of senility. So I replaced both.

Result... everything is working perfectly now. Print Screen is back as if it never went away, browser scrolling is a joy and not an aggravation, and the keyboard isn't skipping random letters the way it did.

new computer purchased, upgraded, etc. It was barebones, so just installed Windows11.
I'm keen on getting rid of surplus chaff programs before they 'hide' in all the stuff I actually use.
Any recommendations on programs/apps that are auto-installed with a new O/S and could be excised?

new computer purchased, upgraded, etc. It was barebones, so just installed Windows11.
I'm keen on getting rid of surplus chaff programs before they 'hide' in all the stuff I actually use.
Any recommendations on programs/apps that are auto-installed with a new O/S and could be excised?
Give us a screenshot of appwiz.cpl and we can tell you.

Whazzat then?

Screenshot 2023-10-11 at 12.29.54 AM.png

Source:
https://answers.webroot.com/Webroot/ukp.aspx?pid=17&app=vw&vw=1&solutionid=2449&t=Appwizcpl-explanation#:~:text=cpl explanation-,Appwiz.,Command window should come up.

Just pointing something out...

Youtube has tightened up its software, so it now detects adware blockers. It will allow you to see 3 videos before you are blocked.

I've had to whitelist/allowlist Youtube to allow their ads. Pain in the bum, but I suppose they have to earn a crust.

Youtube has tightened up its software, so it now detects adware blockers. It will allow you to see 3 videos before you are blocked.

I've had to whitelist/allowlist Youtube to allow their ads. Pain in the bum, but I suppose they have to earn a crust.
Bugger......

Gas central heating types, please help:

We have an Eighties home with gas central heating, and the thermostat has suddenly stopped playing ball with us. Up ‘til days ago, we turned the thermostat in the hall up to the desired temperature, and the central heating kicked in and heated the house up accordingly.

Now, we adjust the thermostat and nothing happens until we press the “Water + 1 hour” button, at which point the heating responds as it should. For one hour.

Question: Does anyone have access to the instruction book for this unit:

IMG_2023-11-14-202556.jpeg

l have tried Googling with no success.

maximus otter

We have an Eighties home with gas central heating, and the thermostat has suddenly stopped playing ball with us. Up ‘til days ago, we turned the thermostat in the hall up to the desired temperature, and the central heating kicked in and heated the house up accordingly.

Now, we adjust the thermostat and nothing happens until we press the “Water + 1 hour” button, at which point the heating responds as it should. For one hour.

View attachment 71339

maximus otter
Is there a reset button anywhere? (maybe you have to pull the flap down to find it)- failing that give @Giant R a shout.

View attachment 71339

maximus otter
Here it is (albeit on a different model to yours);
dan.png

I was blocked but now I am unblocked.

View attachment 71339

maximus otter
Guessing... maybe the thermostat needs replacing? They do go after a while.

View attachment 71339

maximus otter

We have a Danfoss unit, not quite the same as yours, but close. I'll see if we have a manual!

View attachment 71339

maximus otter
Just seen this post. Does the hot water still work ok? Have you always had the heating side of the programmer set to 'all day'?

Is the red light on the heating side on when you are trying to get the thermostat working?
Right, I have a bit more time to reply now! You mention it works when you press the +1 button. To see if the room stat is working turn the room stat down and then press +1 -if the radiators don't get warm within 10 mins or so, turn the room stat up and see if they do then. ( The +1 button normally brings on both the hot water and heating sides so when you do this make sure the radiators are cold when the stat is down, as you may hear the boiler cut on and think it is heating the rads but it may only be doing the hot water).

If this works it is possibly the programmer -it could just be the settings are out. The room stat will only work if the heating side of the programmer is on (the red light on the left) It could also possibly be the motorised valve controlling the heating. It would be handy if you could post a pic of the room stat and the motorised valve or valves. These are usually in the airing cupboard with the hot water cylinder. It is usually either a 3 way valve where the water from the boiler goes in the middle port, then the valve diverts the boiler water to either the heating or hot water, or both, depending on which stat is calling for heat. It could also be controlled by two separate 2 way motorised valves, one for the heating and one for the hot water these work on the same principal but are 2 separate units. If I can see what these are I can explain how to see if these are working.

Re the programmer, you can normally scroll through the settings using the 'programme' button on the right, each time you press it it should flash the different time settings including the actual time on the clock, the day and the timings for the hot water and heating on and off times and you should be able to adjust whatever is flashing using the + and - buttons but if you aren't familiar with them it can be a bit confusing, so if you can find some instructions online it would be handy. I had a quick look on the main Danfoss website and they have pages of user instructions for dozens of programmers going back to ones from the 1960s so I would think it is there somewhere . 'Set 5' doesn't bring it up so it must have a different model no. but you could try going through them and see if you spot it -failing that give their technical dept a ring, they are normally very helpful and would probably be able to ID it from a description. The website is www.danfoss.com and you should see the link to 'Service and support', if you click on that you will see 'documentation', if you can find it you should be able to print the user instructions off from there.

Is the room stat the original one i.e. with a dial or is it a later digital?

Does the hot water still work ok? Have you always had the heating side of the programmer set to 'all day'?

Yes and yes.

Is the red light on the heating side on when you are trying to get the thermostat working?

Yes.

Is the room stat the original one i.e. with a dial or is it a later digital?

Yes.

Huge thanks for all of the above information & suggestions, which l shall put into practice ASAP.

maximus otter

View attachment 71339

maximus otter
Hopefully - this might prove to be what you are after 'max.''
https://www.getanymanual.com/?ads=true&msclkid=5fe982fc3f0a1042d4cae7ab4a4115d2

Something started happening a couple of days ago (which I cannot blame on FTMB unlike the other problem) is that I am not getting any pictures when I go on say, Wikipedia.
This is happening on both phone and desktop.

I've had a problem on & off for the last few days. My internet keeps going off with a D.S.L. problem notice. (I was doing work for my accounting course online. *I'm on study leave for my final synoptic exam in the middle of January so were revising online. I can do that or I can use physical course books. I'm trying to mix it up & use all my resources.* I decided to take a break, read instead & start working again when my internet was back on.)

Something started happening a couple of days ago (which I cannot blame on FTMB unlike the other problem) is that I am not getting any pictures when I go on say, Wikipedia.
If you have it available on your system - it might be worth trying VPN just to see if that makes any difference?

I'm getting the same problem but only on certain websites. Isn't that odd.

I'm finding that since Christmas Day, my loading of this website has become really slow. The connection has not changed, my broadband and usage has not changed. This is via both ethernet and wifi.
For example, the typing of this post hasn't changed ... but it took at least four to five seconds to show it. I anticipate the same delay for this edit.
Note: the delay on original post was about 8 seconds. The delay on the edit was about the same.

View attachment 71339

maximus otter
Very similar model, manual here: http://www.gasapplianceguide.co.uk/Danfoss/Danfoss FP975 User Instructions.pdf

I'm finding that since Christmas Day, my loading of this website has become really slow. The connection has not changed, my broadband and usage has not changed. This is via both ethernet and wifi.
For example, the typing of this post hasn't changed ... but it took at least four to five seconds to show it. I anticipate the same delay for this edit.
Note: the delay on original post was about 8 seconds. The delay on the edit was about the same.
Yup. . . same here - really slow both to log in, and in use.
Is it all down to a Ghost in the Machine? Or, is it that Santa's team (of reindeer), have had far too much to drink on their way back to the North Pole ~ and crashed into the Fortean webpages?

Last edited:
Back