• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The 'Eternal' Brick & Other Anomalous Urban Objects

Human_84 said:
This guy is rediculous. I've been to that site a number of times and theres always something stupid he is talking about...
What a difference a year can make ;).

Anyway, my eternal fave has to be mittens on railings. Usually woolly, multicoloured ones.

I did once find a new, fully laced up, Doc Marten boot in a field, just standing there.

Whilst out walking, as well as mittens, hats, scarves, single shoes (hey, I wonder how many are left and how many are right...?!), I have often come across womens pants. So to speak.
I always assumed that they were left after some amourous encounter.

Last monday morning I saw this monitor parked in the middle of a busy crossing. This friday afternoon it is still there. I really wonder how long it will last - I hope very long, it's a weird piece of 3d graffiti. It must have been placed there on purpose:

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e182/uair01/monitor01.jpg
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e182/uair01/monitor02.jpg

Update on previous post:

Chairs - are still there but someone has scratched names in them.
Sweets - are still there.
Missing poster is gone from that spot, but I saw one on another tree in the park and one in Utrecht Central Station - 35 km away!
Oil lamp is gone - alas - that was the most romantic object.

I've got an old monitor I don't want... Hmmm.

I'll dump it in the city and call it 'art'. :)

Watch this space, I'll post pics :D

Redhead~ said:
Well since we are on the topic, have you ever been driving or out for a walk and saw shoes or sneakers ( tennis shoes) dangling from telephone wires or power lines? I see this now and then and I am always wondering how they got up there.

Sometimes I will see a single shoe or sock in a parking lot, too. How do you lose one shoe or sock? Whenever I go out, I always come back with my footwear.

And not very far from where I live, on the highway there is an area with some trees. One of the trees is very tall, yet near the top of it there is a branch with a tire swing on it. No human being could reach that high to put it there so how'd it get there? That is my question.
I suppose it could have been put on when the tree was small, but that would have been about 100 years ago ( judging by the size of the tree) and the rope that attaches the tire, and the tire itself do not look nearly that old.
It's very odd.

Now there is a plastic Santa Claus dangling next to the tire.
Strange!

lemonpie3 said:
Great - would love to see it! Near me there's a postbox in a tree (the tree has grown round it) which is brilliant.
On my old college campus there was a very mature tree which was grasping a drainpipe downspout firmly in its trunk like a bun round a hotdog, and had grown almost entirely around it. What puzzled me was that there is no building for about fifteen- twenty feet near it, and there's not much call for a tree to be fitted with its own drainpipe.

My first post, with my new username! I'm so excited!

About a week ago someone left a pair of white shoes near a tree on our property. Who and why, we have no idea. In fact not sure if they're still there. The spot is not visible from any of the windows, so I'd have to go out and see, and, frankly, I don't have to try and explain to my family why I'm outside, in the middle of the night, looking at a pair of shoes. I'll check in the morning. I also take pictures, though I have no idea how to get them here. I'm going to try to convince my family to leave the shoes there. Any suggestion as to what excuse I should give them?

“What song the Syrens sang, or what name Achilles assumed when he hid himself among women, although puzzling questions are not beyond all conjecture.”

-Sir Thomas Browne

No luck. My step-mum threw them away. Pity. I'll to be on the look out for something else.

“What song the Syrens sang, or what name Achilles assumed when he hid himself among women, although puzzling questions are not beyond all conjecture.”

-Sir Thomas Browne

stuneville said:
Human_84 said:
This guy is rediculous. I've been to that site a number of times and theres always something stupid he is talking about...
What a difference a year can make ;).

Anyway, my eternal fave has to be mittens on railings. Usually woolly, multicoloured ones.

I did once find a new, fully laced up, Doc Marten boot in a field, just standing there.

Was the field next to a road by any chance? I only ask, as I work in motor insurance, and often with claims we get police photos of crash sites, which can show the oddest things in the oddest places. In one particularly disturbing picture, there was a human leg just lying in the middle of a field, with it's sock and shoe still on, almost no blood, so it just looked like a false leg. Tragically it wasn't, though...

Every so often on the FT message boards a thread will spring up about how some item just disappeared from a persons home. After reading this, I put 1 and 1 together - we see weird objects lying around town, people are missing mundane objects from their homes - The things went out for a stroll around town?

blackhand2010 said:
stuneville said:
..I did once find a new, fully laced up, Doc Marten boot in a field, just standing there.

Was the field next to a road by any chance? ...
No, it was a couple of miles from the nearest road. It was up on Black Down in Somerset, and it was November (the boot was fairly clean, too, so couldn't have been there long.) It was between the trig point and bridle way - with that sort of terrain at that time of year, you'd have noticed if you weren't wearing a boot :D.

What we really need is a psychometrist. A person who can touch objects and discover their story. That would clear some of this up.

-Sir Thomas Browne

stuneville said:
blackhand2010 said:
stuneville said:
..I did once find a new, fully laced up, Doc Marten boot in a field, just standing there.

Was the field next to a road by any chance? ...
No, it was a couple of miles from the nearest road. It was up on Black Down in Somerset, and it was November (the boot was fairly clean, too, so couldn't have been there long.) It was between the trig point and bridle way - with that sort of terrain at that time of year, you'd have noticed if you weren't wearing a boot :D.
Just a thought, but someone may have been breaking in new boots by going walking in them, but changed into old ones once the new ones started hurting. More likely to drop one if they are not being worn :)

Walking along a suburban street to a local pub tonight, I spotted a miniature playng card, the ten of hearts, lying on the pavement.

Whatever can it all mean? :shock: :shock: :shock:

;)

I always take signs from playing cards, they're so totally symbolic it's ridiculous. Tne of hearts, eh?

rynner said:
Walking along a suburban street to a local pub tonight, I spotted a miniature playng card, the ten of hearts, lying on the pavement.

;)

I'd consider yourslef fortunate. I did a little research and found the following websites on the meanings of playing cards:

http://www.guntheranderson.com/cards/feb97/grancard.htm

http://www3.sympatico.ca/terrir/playing_card_meanings.html

The first site says that the ten of hearts means "good hearts". The second says it means "happiness at home achieved".

I had to get a copy of my son's birth certificare and got to the registry office first thing in the morning, as the lady on the phone advised. As I was twiddling my thumbs in the empty waiting room, I noticed something on the floor a couple of feet away from me. It turned out to be a sachet of brown sauce. I thought it was a little strangw but not earth-shaking. Then later that afternoon I noticed a sachet of mustard just lying on the pavement. Like the brown sauce sachet it appeared to be new and fresh, not stepped on or anything. And then a couple of days later as I was walking down a quiet residential street, I noticed several pristine sachets of artificial sweetener at intervals of a few yards.

I can't fathom a reason for someone distributing condiments around Walthamstow. Unless it's like the chapattis that apeared all over India just before the Mutiny. The burger boys are rising?

Just as we investigate and discuss the unsual, I'm sure there are those who try to create it. If this is so, it begs the question did these people choose you to see their work, or did you stumble upon it accidently?

-Sir Thomas Browne

Thanks for sharing a very cool observation, uair01. Who needs those elusive UFOs and monsters when there are bricks, shoes and playing cards right under our noses?! People who like this topic might want to check out the "Pranks" page of cockeyed.com, located at http://www.cockeyed.com/pranks/prank.html. This guy has made professional-looking signs, plaques, etc. that are just a little bit too funny to be true, sneaked them into public places, then left them for people to find. I don't think he's responsible for your brick, though.

TheInspector said:
rynner said:

;)

I'd consider yourslef fortunate. I did a little research and found the following websites on the meanings of playing cards:

http://www.guntheranderson.com/cards/feb97/grancard.htm

http://www3.sympatico.ca/terrir/playing_card_meanings.html

The first site says that the ten of hearts means "good hearts". The second says it means "happiness at home achieved".
The second one would have been right on the button, as on the whole I am very happy with my new home. Except that after I'd got back home from the pub that night, a small crowd of noisy teenagers started kicking off outside for quite a while, which set the old nerves a'jangling even into the next day.

So perhaps it was an ironic ten of hearts....?

I glad to here as is well with you. Maybe the card was omen of good things to come. Or it could be a coincidence, but experience has taught me there's no such thing.

-Sir Thomas Browne

shoes

PLEASE TELL ME, WHY DO YOU SEE SO MANY SHOES ON THE ROAD WHEN YOU DRIVE . :confused:

a) Please stop shouting, and

b) Will this evolve into a wider discussion about mittens on railings, etc? I think we've covered this more than once.

shoes

stuneville said:
a) Please stop shouting, and

b) Will this evolve into a wider discussion about mittens on railings, etc? I think we've covered this more than once.
Sorry about the shouting my ears are not as good as they were, sorry again new to the site, tell me more about the mittens on the railing iam intrigued ,ps my eyes are playing up....... earl....

Re: shoes

Sounds like a personal problem :?

mynameisearl said:
PLEASE TELL ME, WHY DO YOU SEE SO MANY SHOES ON THE ROAD WHEN YOU DRIVE . :confused:

Re: shoes

mynameisearl said:
...tell me more about the mittens on the railing iam intrigued..
I've bolted your new thread to the one that deals with these things, so just click on page one and all will become clear.
mynameisearl said:
ps my eyes are playing up....... earl....
I don't want to know.

Here's some street art - it's in Liverpool. (Remember the Mersey Sound? 8) )

IMG_1587.jpg

Back