• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

They Died That I Might Live

Sogna

Devoted Cultist
My grandparents only met because my grandfather joined the airforce in the 1920s and so left the UK. He did this because his best friend was killed in an accident during the building of Bush House in the Strand. Does anyone else owe their existence to the death of another human being?

My grandparents only met because my grandfather joined the airforce in the 1920s and so left the UK. He did this because his best friend was killed in an accident during the building of Bush House in the Strand. Does anyone else owe their existence to the death of another human being?
My Grandmother only hooked up with my Grandad because her boyfriend went to fight in WW2 so she ditched her boyfriend and hooked up with my Grandad Joe instead. A practical woman.

He met your Grandmother because she was RAF as well? ..

Last edited:

Family history tales say that my great-grandmother L was due to marry a young man who failed to come home from the Great War 1914-1918, hence my great-uncle H was born fatherless to an unmarried mother in 1919. Very shocking for the time but somehow she kept him. A few months later she married my great-grandfather (who was a kindly single older man who was slightly disabled but still working in a decent job), then my grandmother was born in 1921, who gave birth to my mother.

My grandparents on both sides both met due to WWII - without that awful conflict many family histories would be very different.

We have no way of knowing if the first 'tale' is true!

My Grandmother only hooked up with my Grandad because her boyfriend went to fight in WW2 so she ditched her boyfriend and hooked up with my Grandad Joe instead. A practical woman.

She sounds very pragmatic. No, my grandmother lived in Alexandria and he was based there when they met.

Family history tales say that my great-grandmother L was due to marry a young man who failed to come home from the Great War 1914-1918, hence my great-uncle H was born fatherless to an unmarried mother in 1919. Very shocking for the time but somehow she kept him. A few months later she married my great-grandfather (who was a kindly single older man who was slightly disabled but still working in a decent job), then my grandmother was born in 1921, who gave birth to my mother.

My grandparents on both sides both met due to WWII - without that awful conflict many family histories would be very different.

We have no way of knowing if the first 'tale' is true!
I remember when I was child in the 60s, there were a whole community of older ladies at our parish church who were all Miss Whatever. I realise now that they all must have lost sweethearts in WWI and never married.

I remember when I was child in the 60s, there were a whole community of older ladies at our parish church who were all Miss Whatever. I realise now that they all must have lost sweethearts in WWI and never married.
Or some of them never wanted to marry in the first place or some of them were into other women instead I expect on top of that.

“More than 700,000 British men were killed during World War One. This tragic loss of life affected the lives of young women in 1920s Britain. Virginia Nicholson has discussed in her 2007 book, Singled Out, the difficulties of unmarried women following the gender imbalance of the population which followed World War One. The middle classes were especially affected with a higher proportion of officers killed than those in lower ranks. The 700,000 deaths resulted in a particularly large gap between the male and female populations of people aged 25 to 34 with 1,158,000 unmarried women and 919,000 unmarried men, according to the 1921 census.”

http://ww1centenary.oucs.ox.ac.uk/unconventionalsoldiers/‘surplus-women’-a-legacy-of-world-war-one/

maximus otter

My mother's Aunt Ruth was engaged and lost her fiance in WW 1. She never married. Instead she taught highschool Spanish and Latin and traveled a lot to South America for missionary work in the summers.

“More than 700,000 British men were killed during World War One. This tragic loss of life affected the lives of young women in 1920s Britain. Virginia Nicholson has discussed in her 2007 book, Singled Out, the difficulties of unmarried women following the gender imbalance of the population which followed World War One. The middle classes were especially affected with a higher proportion of officers killed than those in lower ranks. The 700,000 deaths resulted in a particularly large gap between the male and female populations of people aged 25 to 34 with 1,158,000 unmarried women and 919,000 unmarried men, according to the 1921 census.”

http://ww1centenary.oucs.ox.ac.uk/unconventionalsoldiers/‘surplus-women’-a-legacy-of-world-war-one/

maximus otter
I went to a talk a few years ago now and apparently there were more women than men even before WWI but that just made thing even worse.

If it wasn’t for WWII I wouldn’t be here. My Grandfather was Polish and ended up meeting my Grandmother in Scotland. He’d had the option to learn English but never thought he’d need it. So he couldn’t speak English when they first met. He soon learnt.

While WWI and WWII were terrible I think there are a lot of people who wouldn’t be here without them.

During WW2, my Dad met my Mum through pure happenstance. In Colchester, for what it's worth. 1943.
I've a copy of their wedding photo in front of me now, both in full uniform, at their marriage in 1946.
This was after Dad had, during the war, been captured in North Africa, imprisoned at first in Italy and then 'marched' into Germany. When the war ended, he was lucky to be in the first tranche of those released (not liberated) and returned to the UK.
They'd met under hard circumstances.
They were both in a hard profession, and knew the risks.
They had five children after being married - me being the youngest and last of their children.

So many times that things could've been different. But here I am.

Mum was Dad's second wife. His first wife died during WW2, I'm not sure if her cause of death was the result of enemy bombing or illness. If she had lived I probably wouldn't have.

I suppose it isn't surprising that Dad didn't keep any pictures of her although I don't think Mum would have minded. Dad died when I was eight so all I have is a death certificate and what I've been able to find using on line and other family history resorces.

No pictures that I can find, a pity as I'm curious about what she looked like. RIP Violet.

I always wonder when people talk about various injustices done to their ancestors, slavery, transportation, Highland clearances, war, industrial revolution, etc. if they realise that without them, they as individuals may not exist.

Mum was Dad's second wife. His first wife died during WW2, I'm not sure if her cause of death was the result of enemy bombing or illness. If she had lived I probably wouldn't have.

I suppose it isn't surprising that Dad didn't keep any pictures of her although I don't think Mum would have minded. Dad died when I was eight so all I have is a death certificate and what I've been able to find using on line and other family history resorces.

No pictures that I can find, a pity as I'm curious about what she looked like. RIP Violet.

I always wonder when people talk about various injustices done to their ancestors, slavery, transportation, Highland clearances, war, industrial revolution, etc. if they realise that without them, they as individuals may not exist.
Have you tried the 1939 register? It was like a census taking at the beginning of the war. It wouldn’t show you a picture but it might tell you something.

Have you tried the 1939 register? It was like a census taking at the beginning of the war. It wouldn’t show you a picture but it might tell you something.
Yes, thanks for the suggestion I've got a fair bit of information on her family and her death was some sort of brain hemorrage but I'm not sure whether it was due to a bomb that fell near the house or just a medical condition. Her family seemed quite musical, not sure if Dad was but I'm anything but!

If it wasn’t for WWII I wouldn’t be here. My Grandfather was Polish and ended up meeting my Grandmother in Scotland. He’d had the option to learn English but never thought he’d need it. So he couldn’t speak English when they first met. He soon learnt.

While WWI and WWII were terrible I think there are a lot of people who wouldn’t be here without them.
Sounds similar to me. My grandmother was married to someone who was killed in North Africa. She went on a holiday to Blackpool and met my Polish grandfather (there was large depot for Polish airmen there). Two or three years later my dad was born.

maximus otter

This 'shortage' of comparably-aged men resulting in many single women has been proposed as one factor in the rise in numbers of women working in the professions, science, medicine and research from the 1920s onwards - they could study and devote themselves to a career if they couldn't or wouldn't marry as expected before WWI; without the pressure to marry and with the opening up of universities women who chose to could produce academic papers or phDs rather than babies.

Sounds similar to me. My grandmother was married to someone who was killed in North Africa. She went on a holiday to Blackpool and met my Polish grandfather (there was large depot for Polish airmen there). Two or three years later my dad was born.
Do you have any Polish traditions? We still have a Polish Christmas Eve supper even though he’s no longer with us. It’s a lot easier now Sainsburys sell pierogies.

I have mentioned before that my husband's grandfather was first married to a woman who was killed in the Exeter Blitz in 1942. When the grandfather came home (he had been a PoW since Dunkirk), he married his late wife's younger sister, and thus arose my father-in-law, leading to the existence of the In House GP. I've stood before the grave of the first wife (and her son), and it was peculiar knowing that if she had lived I would probably still exist but the IHGP wouldn't.

I'd gladly give up my existence if it meant getting one over on the Sassenachs!

This 'shortage' of comparably-aged men resulting in many single women has been proposed as one factor in the rise in numbers of women working in the professions, science, medicine and research from the 1920s onwards - they could study and devote themselves to a career if they couldn't or wouldn't marry as expected before WWI; without the pressure to marry and with the opening up of universities women who chose to could produce academic papers or phDs rather than babies.
The old ladies I knew were all involved with the church and good works. They all wore their hats inside as well, which was very old fashioned by the 60s. I wish so much I could go back and speak to them and hear their stories.

Do you have any Polish traditions? We still have a Polish Christmas Eve supper even though he’s no longer with us. It’s a lot easier now Sainsburys sell pierogies.
We don't, unfortunately. My grandfather died before I was born and my dad has never bothered with any traditions. He didn't even have contact with any our Polish relatives, although I do now.

We don't, unfortunately. My grandfather died before I was born and my dad has never bothered with any traditions. He didn't even have contact with any our Polish relatives, although I do now.
That’s a shame. It good you’re in contact with your relatives now. If you do fancy trying something Polish (or anyone else reading) I do recommend the aforementioned pierogies, the potato and cheese are the best (the pictures are the clue but they usually have English on the back (we don’t speak Polish).

That’s a shame. It good you’re in contact with your relatives now. If you do fancy trying something Polish (or anyone else reading) I do recommend the aforementioned pierogies, the potato and cheese are the best (the pictures are the clue but they usually have English on the back (we don’t speak Polish).
Never tried pierogi, just Polish meat and beer (and vodka, of course). I'll check out my local Sainsbury's.

I visited Krakow a number of years ago. Wouldn't mind going back but it's all down to time, money etc. I've spent a bit of time researching my grandfather's war record, though still have a lot to do. I'm also starting to build up the family tree on the Polish side.

It's weird to think that I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the actions of 1st September 1939, like yourself.

I went to a talk a few years ago now and apparently there were more women than men even before WWI but that just made thing even worse.
I found this in an article today.
IMG_3130.jpeg

As a teen my mother started nursing and according to my sister , who seems to have these remarkable tales in endless supply about my family , according to her when she started nursing (she later became a matron and could be quite the intimidating lady if needed) there was a young man very ill on one ward who she doted on and they were in love by all accounts. Tragically this young man died in the hospital and she met my father. The less of which said , the better but there you are.
Hospitals are very intense places for many reasons . My sister also told me that Mom was going round the ward as a teen and she walked past this old lady's bed , who grabbed her arm and said You've met someone but he isn't the one you'll marry.... And you'll have 4 children but lose one. I had three siblings , two are still with us. Spooky

Back