• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I can’t get ITVX to work on my computer - I get sound but no picture.

Weirdly I get the picture on adverts but not on the programme - screen is black.
Strange. It works on my PC and my tablet, though I appreciate that will be of no consolation to you.

I'm currently trawling through Space 1999 on said platform. It's fair to say that although some still stand up, most haven't aged well.

ITVX is work in progress at the moment whether it works on your kit is in the lap of the gods.

I can’t get ITVX to work on my computer - I get sound but no picture.

Weirdly I get the picture on adverts but not on the programme - screen is black.
Could it be that the pictures during the program are in need of some sort of 'video driver' software that your computer doesn't have (but not the ads)?

I just had another thought.
You might have a 'hardware accelerator' running which is preventing the pictures showing.
This can be disabled in your 'Chrome' settings.
Click on the 3 dots in the top right-hand corner and select 'settings'.
The screen that opens has a 'system' tab on the left - click that.
Another screen opens with some options on it, one of which is 'use acceleration when available'. Switch that off and try again.
1673375754888.png

Could it be that the pictures during the program are in need of some sort of 'video driver' software that your computer doesn't have (but not the ads)?
I don’t think so - it seems others are having the same issue. I did a search & the only advice given was delete cookies & cache. It’s made no difference. Another weird thing is the programme time/progress marker behaves oddly - it moves forward as you’d expect then randomly will go into reverse for a bit before resuming its forward motion. I think the ITV set-up is nadgered somewhere along the line.
I just had another thought.
You might have a 'hardware accelerator' running which is preventing the pictures showing.
This can be disabled in your 'Chrome' settings.
Click on the 3 dots in the top right-hand corner and select 'settings'.
The screen that opens has a 'system' tab on the left - click that.
Another screen opens with some options on it, one of which is 'use acceleration when available'. Switch that off and try again.
Thanks but I’m using Safari on a Mac.

Not heard of the drum playing gorilla and have to agree about Count Arthur Strong.

Not heard of the drum playing gorilla and have to agree about Count Arthur Strong.

Drum-playing gorilla; it was a 2007 TV chocolate advert.
There was quite a debate about it back in the day. Seems men liked/'got' it but women didn't.

Radio 3 Sunday 1400

Caffarelli​

Caffarelli
The Early Music Show
Lucie Skeaping on the life and career of the famous 18th-century castrato Caffarelli, for whom many composers created roles, including Handel, Porpora and Hasse

Drum-playing gorilla; it was a 2007 TV chocolate advert.
There was quite a debate about it back in the day. Seems men liked/'got' it but women didn't.

The song was the repeated play favourite of 'Gillis the Obsessive' and this advert switched my negative reaction to the song, viz. a twitchy tendency to check for loons loitering behind bushes, to a far more positive one. Long live the gorilla.

Theatre no film and tv.

We’ve just booked for ‘Do You Believe In Ghosts’ which is touring. I’m hoping it’s good and not just a jump fest.

‘An experiential ghost story, unlike anything you have ever experienced before.

Welcome to a haunting night at the theatre. Are you feeling brave? If you are, join us, and we will tell you all the secrets of what goes on when the theatre goes dark. When the only thing to guide you is the Ghost Light.

To keep mischievous spirits away – or maybe just to light the way for the ghosts who call it their home.

Follow the rules: keep your hands inside the car (so to speak) and you will be safe, as we tell the tales that every theatre has to tell. The ghostly stories of the things that go bump in the night, or the day.

The things that just don’t add up - or do they?

Stories that you have to take away with you. . . or at least try not to.

We will raise the hairs on your arms and send chills down the back of your neck. . .

Join us for a dark night. Dare you!

Over 18s advised’

https://www.uktw.co.uk/Tour/Play/Do-You-Believe-in-Ghosts/T978518904/

Theatre no film and tv.

We’ve just booked for ‘Do You Believe In Ghosts’ which is touring. I’m hoping it’s good and not just a jump fest.

‘An experiential ghost story, unlike anything you have ever experienced before.

Welcome to a haunting night at the theatre. Are you feeling brave? If you are, join us, and we will tell you all the secrets of what goes on when the theatre goes dark. When the only thing to guide you is the Ghost Light.

To keep mischievous spirits away – or maybe just to light the way for the ghosts who call it their home.

Follow the rules: keep your hands inside the car (so to speak) and you will be safe, as we tell the tales that every theatre has to tell. The ghostly stories of the things that go bump in the night, or the day.

The things that just don’t add up - or do they?

Stories that you have to take away with you. . . or at least try not to.

We will raise the hairs on your arms and send chills down the back of your neck. . .

Join us for a dark night. Dare you!

Over 18s advised’

https://www.uktw.co.uk/Tour/Play/Do-You-Believe-in-Ghosts/T978518904/
Do let us know what you thought of it (without spoilers natch!).
Sounds like something I'd fancy seeing later in the year when it comes down south.

I'm a fan. I've seen him live three times.
He's silly, irevverent, not overly-political. But he does have that bizarre sense of "hang on, if you think it this way ..."

I was this on Audible and thought it might be of interest.

Summary​

Mark Gatiss stars as sinister raconteur, the Man in Black, in these 20 terrifying full-cast radio dramas.
The Man in Black is waiting to make your acquaintance. Maybe you’ll meet him on a bus, in the supermarket or at an airport luggage carousel. Perhaps he’ll peer into your baby’s pram or approach you in the corridor of a care home. Wherever you encounter him, he's eager to pass on his stories. Stories of darkness and death, myth and madness. Stories to unsettle and horrify.
Two lads on a council estate stumble onto a world where time has stopped. Something evil stalks stranded soldiers in Afghanistan. A retired accountant gets out of his depth on the Net. An ex-alcoholic is on the run from more than just his AA buddy. These tales and many more will haunt you long after the Man in Black has departed.

https://www.audible.co.uk/pd/The-Ma...on_code=ASSGB149080119000H&share_location=pdp

I've not heard those since BBC 4Extra disappeared. Excellent series.

I think they sometimes get repeated on the 7th dimension at the weekend. It's on at 12am on Sat and Sun, then repeated at 4pm, but I tend to listen later on BBC Sounds. I've definitely listened to some man in black tales although I'm not sure whether it was Gatiss or an earlier version... I feel like I've heard a few different portrayals of the character. :thought:

That got me thinking about an old Canadian CBC series called Nightfall which has occasionally featured on the 7th dimension. It hasn't been on for a while and I've wanted to listen to the full series (I knew there were a lot more episodes). It turns out they're on Spotify, hopefully this link will work but you can just search for Nightfall if not: https://spotify.link/w6bBxbARMyb

Ken Bruce has been on his new show on Greatest Hits Radio this week.
I say 'new show' but it's just his usual schtick but half-an-hour later.

I discovered that the new series of Taskmaster had started last week without me being advised (how dare they).
It is on Thursday evenings. Episode 2 was last night.
And seeing as I don't have a TV service any more because Virgin Media are less than useless, I couldn't watch it.
But, as I have discovered for pretty much all TV channels these days, you can register to access their programmes online and through a smart TV app.
So it's an incredible faff to set it up, but hey-ho, now I can watch all the stuff on C4, when I want to.

"CLOSE ENCOUNTERS DOWN UNDER" AIRS IN AUSTRALIA

Network 7 has announced that the Australian UFO documentary "Close Encounters Down Under" will start airing on its 7Mate channel on Thursday, 20 April at 8:30 pm. This is a six-part series focussing on UFO stories from Australia, New Zealand and Papua New Guinea.

And I see the new series of 'Have I got News For You' started last night.
I mean, it's okay, if a bit, er....'biased'... but I guess it is satire after all.
Probably another BBC programme (and/or presenter) that has been successful for years but will be axed for no apparent reason at some point soon.
Will have to watch it on catch-up on iPlayer thingy.

Regardless of any bias, a programme that gives a satire on the ruling government can be carried indefinitely. And (with the boards political taboo in place), the longer any party is in power, the more crud that is available to mock.

Back