• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

U.S. Military: UFO Investigations, Knowledge & Disclosure

Top Pentagon UFO investigator to step down by end of the year: report

The Pentagon’s lead UFO investigator said he will retire in December, just 18 months after heading up the All-domain Anomaly Resolution Office (AARO), according to reports.

“I’m ready to move on. I have accomplished everything I said I was going to do," Dr. Sean Kirkpatrick said.

He also told the publication that there are a few tasks left that he wants to finish before stepping away. One of those projects is to complete a historical review of the unidentified anomalous phenomena (UAPs).

Once he steps away, Tim Phillips, who currently serves as Kirkpatrick’s deputy, will step into the role until a permanent replacement is hired.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/top-pentagon-ufo-investigator-step-down-end-year-report

maximus otter
All Talk no action.

It is quite simple, really. Kirkpatrick thinks that UAPs appear to display some extraordinary flight characteristics, and he would rather explain those characteristics by alien technology than believing that China, or Russia, or Canada or whoever have technology far in advance of that possessed by the US.

In reality the most likely explanation for these sightings is misinterpretation of the data, as Mick West has repeatedly demonstrated.

Referring to the 2009 UK DoD statement that UfOs are harmless, I think Kirkpatrick too thinks UFOs are harmless thinking that a Russia or China superior technology development is far worse.

"We can't do much about alien superiority so we won't get trashed. It'd be embarrassing to have to admit that we're not the superior tech-wise."

‘Aliens,’ or a foreign power? Pentagon UFO chief says someone is in our backyard

This week, the director of the U.S. government’s UFO analysis office stated that there is “evidence” of concerning unidentified flying object activity “in our backyard.” According to physicist Seán Kirkpatrick, who heads the congressionally-mandated All-domain Anomaly Resolution Office, this alarming UFO activity can be attributed to one of two extraordinary sources: either a foreign power or “aliens.”

To be sure, the ramifications of either would be significant. But Kirkpatrick’s comments, which come as he is about to retire after a 27-year defense and intelligence-focused career, are more intriguing because he also says that “none” of the hundreds of military UFO reports analyzed by his office recently “have been positively attributed to foreign activities.”

At the same time, Kirkpatrick and senior defense officials have ruled out the possibility that secret U.S. programs or experimental aircraft explain the phenomena.

While suspicious UFO cases will “continue to be investigated” for foreign links, the facts at hand appear to support Kirkpatrick’s more startling explanation for the UFO activity in America’s backyard: “aliens.”

https://thehill.com/opinion/nationa...on-ufo-chief-says-someone-is-in-our-backyard/

maximus otter

‘Aliens,’ or a foreign power? Pentagon UFO chief says someone is in our backyard

This week, the director of the U.S. government’s UFO analysis office stated that there is “evidence” of concerning unidentified flying object activity “in our backyard.” According to physicist Seán Kirkpatrick, who heads the congressionally-mandated All-domain Anomaly Resolution Office, this alarming UFO activity can be attributed to one of two extraordinary sources: either a foreign power or “aliens.”

To be sure, the ramifications of either would be significant. But Kirkpatrick’s comments, which come as he is about to retire after a 27-year defense and intelligence-focused career, are more intriguing because he also says that “none” of the hundreds of military UFO reports analyzed by his office recently “have been positively attributed to foreign activities.”

At the same time, Kirkpatrick and senior defense officials have ruled out the possibility that secret U.S. programs or experimental aircraft explain the phenomena.

While suspicious UFO cases will “continue to be investigated” for foreign links, the facts at hand appear to support Kirkpatrick’s more startling explanation for the UFO activity in America’s backyard: “aliens.”

https://thehill.com/opinion/nationa...on-ufo-chief-says-someone-is-in-our-backyard/

maximus otter
I wish they just stop teasing us and saying they are from Venus.

Avi Loeb and then AARO director Kirkpatrick published a paper March 7th that extraterrestrials are sending probes to earth from a parent craft referring to Oumuamua.

The probes were called dandelion seeds by Loeb.

This paper was secret until Military Times published it causing Kirkpatrick to be in a funny position.

Here's the Loeb and Kirkpatrick paper;
https://lweb.cfa.harvard.edu/~loeb/LK1.pdf

Note that the paper is entirely speculative in nature, and only talks about the possibility of 'Oumuamua's role as a mothership. but does not discuss any UAP sightings at all.

Since 'Oumuamua did not interact with Earth directly at all, and did not approach our planet, it seems reasonable to suggest that a possible active role would have been as a carrier ship sending smaller probe ships throughout the Solar System. However there is no actual evidence to connect 'Oumuamua with such probes.

I find it most bizarre that Kirkpatrick while defending the Pentagon’s position of no UFOs was working with Loeb on extraterrestrial mother ships and probes.

Maybe this is why Kirkpatrick left the AARO ?

Not at all. It is entirely reasonable to speculate on the possible activities of advanced alien civilisations without necessarily accepting that UAPs are of extraterrestrial origin. Astrobiologists and other astronomers do it all the time. There are many papers discussing the potential for alien exploration and expansion in our galaxy, and various strategies that such aliens might adopt; one good example is Milan Circovic's overview of the Fermi Paradox and the various possible explanations for the absence of alien contact.
https://arxiv.org/pdf/0907.3432.pdf

The possibility that UAPs/UFOs are connected to the solution to the Fermi problem is only one of the many topics discussed in papers such as these; the chance that UAPs actually do have anything to do with aliens seems very small from an astrobiological point of view, but cannot be dismissed altogether.

Last edited:
Not at all. It is entirely reasonable to speculate on the possible activities of advanced alien civilisations without necessarily accepting that UAPs are of extraterrestrial origin. Astrobiologists and other astronomers do it all the time. There are many papers discussing the potential for alien exploration and expansion in our galaxy, and various strategies that such aliens might adopt; one good example is Milan Circovic's overview of the Fermi Paradox and the various possible explanations for the absence of alien contact.
https://arxiv.org/pdf/0907.3432.pdf

The possibility that UAPs/UFOs are connected to the solution to the Fermi problem is only one of the many topics discussed in papers such as these; the chance that UAPs actually do have anything to do with aliens seems very small from an astrobiological point of view, but cannot be dismissed altogether.
Glad you added that bit at the end eburacum - cos 'something' was sure steering the ones that I've happened to come across in the past! :yeahthat:

Last edited:
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/a...e-anthem&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

INteresting article:

However, I believe the UFO cover-up is about more than state secrets. The government routinely hides information important and meaningless on all manner of subjects, regardless of whether legitimate national-security concerns are involved. Its default position is to stonewall, especially to conceal embarrassing revelations. After reading thousands of pages of government reports, I believe that the government’s uneasiness over its sheer ignorance drives its secrecy. It just doesn’t know very much.

After leaving government and founding the independent Center for UFO Studies, Hynek said he doubted that there was a grand government conspiracy. “There are two kinds of cover-ups,” he explained in 1977. “You can cover up knowledge and you can cover up ignorance. I think there was much more of the latter than of the former.”

1700247573853.png

Interesting, and probably mostly true. One thing I noticed was this statement;
According to the CIA, test and development flights of the U-2 and the Oxcart spy planes “accounted for more than one-half of all UFO reports during the late 1950s.”

If you examine this statement critically, you can see that it is bullshit. This 'statement by the CIA' can be traced back to comments by John Parongoski and James Cunningham made more than 30 years later, and is almost certainly a misquote. The U2 and Oxcart may have accounted for about 50% of all unexplained UFO reports in that period, although I doubt that even this revised estimate is accurate. I suspect that only ~3% of all UFO reports at this time could be attributable to the U2 and Oxcart programs, and they were just embiggening their importance.

I guess Whistleblower David Grusch is going further into the “rabbit” hole.

David claims congressional representatives from Alabama and Ohio are blocking important UFO information for the U.S. Congress.

I am puzzled, why these two states ?

In some ways I agree; the NASA report could have been even more scathingly dismissive. Instead it was fair, open-minded, and suggested several ways that the study of UAPs could move forward.

During their presentation they described several ways that misperception could make something look like an unexplained phenomenon, when it was in fact something relatively mundane.
Astronaut Scott Kelly described one such event;
Kelly, a former U.S. Navy captain, stood up to share a UAP experience he had while flying an F-14 Tomcat. "I remember one time I was flying in the warning areas off of the Virginia Beach military operating area there," Kelly said. "And my RIO [radar intercept officer] thought — the guy that sits in the back of the Tomcat — was convinced we flew by a UFO. So I didn't see it. We turned around and went to go look at it.

"It turns out it was Bart Simpson, a balloon."
NASA is not covering anything up, and as a publically-funded, non-military body, they are legally prevented from doing so.

Congressman Tim Burchett is just disappointed that his preconceptions have not been met. NASA have been looking for any evidence of alien presence since 1958, and found nothing. That is probably because there is nothing to find.

In some ways I agree; the NASA report could have been even more scathingly dismissive. Instead it was fair, open-minded, and suggested several ways that the study of UAPs could move forward.

During their presentation they described several ways that misperception could make something look like an unexplained phenomenon, when it was in fact something relatively mundane.
Astronaut Scott Kelly described one such event;

NASA is not covering anything up, and as a publically-funded, non-military body, they are legally prevented from doing so.

Congressman Tim Burchett is just disappointed that his preconceptions have not been met. NASA have been looking for any evidence of alien presence since 1958, and found nothing. That is probably because there is nothing to find.
Doesn't mean that there's nothing to find though!

From Jason Colavito's email Newsletter • Vol. 23 • Issue 22 • November 26, 2023 •
Meanwhile, the so-called “Schumer amendment” on UFO disclosure seems poised to disappear from the final version of the National Defense Authorization Act because of opposition from key Republicans, including Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell and House Speaker Mike Johnson. The sticking point seems to be an overbroad eminent domain provision that would let the government seize any private property they suspect may be from outer space. However, ufologists are flipping their lid over the fizzling UFO disclosure movement, leading British writer Chris Sharp’s pro-UFO Liberation Times to quote one “source” (and since Sharp has only a few, we can guess who it likely is) as threatening that UFO believers will stage an insurrection if lawmakers don’t pass new UFO laws. Australian UFO gadfly Ross Coulthart seconded the motion in a podcast, calling for lawmakers who stand in the way of UFO laws to be dragged through the streets and tarred and feathered. Did I mention he got hired by NewsNation? Yes, NewsNation is where you can threaten violence against government officials and still get hired for new TV projects.

Reactions: BS3
That is the stupid thing about all of this, if UFOs mean nothing but the government for 70 years have tried their hardest to keep UFO information from the public.

Thanks!
We've discussed Loeb's findings before:
https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...d-the-remains-of-an-interstellar-craft.70579/
He is very clever, but many other scientists and astronomers have found alternative explanations for his data.

Loeb is a bit biased towards alien presence in our immediate galaxy, but that may mean he can devise some viable detection methods that prove it. He needs to beware of confirmation bias and false positives however; the possibilities for this sort of mistake in exobiology are practically endless.

Loeb strikes me as one of these people who enjoys playing with theoretical possibilities but who are consistently misinterpreted as speaking in terms of the real, rather than the possible.

Most of this is unintended, though. I'd distinguish this from other ufology-associated people like Vallee who also enjoy playing with theory, but seem quite happy to actively encourage people's misinterpretation of their work.

In the U.S. Congress Rep. R-Florida, Anna Pauline Luna with the backing of several other representatives has claimed that unnamed people in the U.S. Government are making sure UAP information is being keep from the U.S. Congress.

Majority Leader of the U.S. Senate, Chuck Schumer, yesterday made a highly unusual speech on the Senate floor yesterday that Congress representatives from the states Ohio and Alabama have been working very hard to destroy any new UFO/UAP information which Schumer claimed extremely strange.

Rumors claim that the “ military-industrial complex “ could have something to do with this situation.

Back