• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

UK Haunted Hospitality - Volume 1: Pubs And Clubs

DrPaulLee

Justified & Ancient
The first volume in a proposed trilogy of books dealing with the ghoulish side of the UK hospitality industry. This first one deals with pubs and inns, and has well over 800 entries, sorted in terms of county/region, town and then name, with the addresses and postcodes for each venue listed.

The amount of data for each location varies; some have only a line or two, while a few places were only too happy to give bushels of information about their otherworldly inhabitants. A fair few still show signs of ghostly behaviour too.

There are no pictures but over 50 maps. All this in 447 pages, with updates and corrections to be put on my website.

(NB: Anywhere that offers accommodation, even just one room, is reserved for volume 2 if there is the demand; volume 3 will be eateries, including coffee shops and tea rooms)

UK Amazon Link: https://amzn.to/44TjGdj

US Amazon Link: https://amzn.to/3PHi026

HH1cover-small.png

Did I say mine had come? anyway mine came (a while back)!

Just finished it. Bloody brilliant - really enjoyed it.:bthumbup: Review done but may appear in Mrs T's name as she has the Amazon account -and will be wondering what's happening!

I know and I'm very grateful. It's just not selling.

I wonder... do people like more geographical attraction than UK? Like the Norfolk ones are... about... Norfolk. *voice trails off*

I've started on volume 2. 840 hotels (and counting) to go through.

I think I'm just going through a periodic bad phase.
Things could be worse Paul. You could be Anne and Paul who've just had to vacate the successful White Horse hotel/pub in Cromer because the business rates were raised to beyond greedy. I used to work there and locals are livid. It was/still is? included on the Cromer museum ghost tour for having a single haunted foot seen on the staircase although Anne tod me they'd never seen it and neither did I. No doubt the building will be painted 'yuppie grey' now and then the next landlords will be putting all prices up by 30%. Expensive stuff this grey paint apparently.

The first bad review on Amazon. It's as if the reviewer has read a completely different book - it's not just "a list " And it definitely IS good value for money especially the Kindle version. Where else are you going to find well over 800 haunted pubs with recent information (if available)?

These kind of things are the kiss of death to any independent author. Since that went up, zero sales.

I've just gone and bought one for my Auntie (she and I both love uncanny tales and haunted lore) so that's one up the jumper for your snotty reviewer!

Cheers mate. Could you do a review to counter the nastiness please?

I'm still working on volume 2 but lack enthusiasm. I did a mini survey of 600 contactable places out of 800+. About 60 replied, most saying "no nothing sorry" but a few did give interesting recent accounts, like the Francis Hotel in Bath. They also told me of a ghost I didn't know about, a spectral lady in the square opposite.

Last edited:
The first bad review on Amazon. It's as if the reviewer has read a completely different book - it's not just "a list " And it definitely IS good value for money especially the Kindle version. Where else are you going to find well over 800 haunted pubs with recent information (if available)?

These kind of things are the kiss of death to any independent author. Since that went up, zero sales.
I would never leave a negative review for a book. It's just plain nasty. I'd instead leave no review if I didn't think the book warranted a good review.

If it's a hotel with dirty rooms or a restaurant with awful service, then that's different.

I got the book today, it's a lovely quality tome, it's huge with very nice paper (important to me as I can't stand the feel of nasty cheap paper - autism spectrum).

I'm going to peruse it fully before gifting it to my auntie - BUY THIS BOOK!!

Yes, my dad was on work placement to run a company from 1966-72. I was born on Halloween 1971 and we left the country the following May. I have no memory of the place which is a good thing from what I've heard

Back