• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I enjoyed the episode. It is interesting that the power went out and that the police said that the floor was flooded.

I also enjoy the southern way of telling a story - with humour and self deprecation. Marcus is a good storyteller. He is still affected by his aunt’s horrid death.

I would like to hear from his cousin. How did he experience it? I did laugh at the two boys hiding under the bed - that’s what I could see me doing after hearing banging at the door.

I also wonder about the height of the window from the ground outside. There could have been something under the window at the time that someone could stand on. Oddly, when I was listening, I thought of a barrel. Don’t know why.

I wouldn’t disbelieve that someone came to check on the house. Perhaps someone saw the light on and then saw the hydro go out and went to check. Why? We don’t know, though the voice told the boys that they could see both of them through the window.

Was the weather mentioned that night? Was there a wind or storm that caused the hydro to go out? I, too, wonder if repairs to plumbing or hydro were done after - it was the skeptic’s question.

The comment about the electricity being unreliable is not out of character for New Orleans area, so probably similar in Georgia. Several years ago (2014), I visited New Orleans. I went on a swamp tour in the bayous. Our guide showed us some of the homes that were built on the edge of the water. There were wires that were loosely strung from a house to a light outside. Not secured to anything. Even walking down the street in New Orleans there would be random holes in the sidewalk and sometimes the electricity poles would have wires, not covered, sticking out at ground level. I was shocked at the lack of public safeguards like those we have here.

Danny posted this on X saying that this is the window referred to.

20240501_062220.jpg

Is it just me or did the snippets of interviews sound heavily scripted? It didn't appear to flow like someone telling their story, it sounded like they were coached to sound melodramatic....rather like Danny....?

Edit: What I mean is, go watch the first season of Ghost Hunters - the TAPS one - and watch the way their interviews are done...it's obvious they're coached. That's what's aggravating me: it seems like the longer Uncanny goes on, the more it devolves. I'm sorry to bag on poor Danny, he's got great creativity and imagination but I'm not interested in hearing melodramatic fiction, I want real paranormal hullabloo. I DEMAND TRUE BLUE HULLABLOO DANNY
I think we have to accept that that despite his excellent book Danny is a showman rather than a researcher and a bloody good showman at that. When you read Tim Murrow's personal account of the Horningtops Uncle Jack case there is a lot more nitty-gritty detail than when Danny presented it and I believe this is because Danny wants the audience to play paranormal detective rather than present an open and shut case (quite literally in this case involving a window)

I believe this is because Danny wants the audience to play paranormal detective rather than present an open and shut case (quite literally in this case involving a window)
Great point. And I get it, why do the work yourself when you can get randos on the internet to do it for you for free? On one hand, it's a great tactic; why do the work yourself when people will do it for you for free on the internet. But having been on Reddit for the last 10 years...well....

Does anyone know, is there a meditation or spell I can cast where I can just watch this stuff and not feel cheated?

I enjoyed it.:D As soon as I saw New Orleans, witch shop and ouija boards I was interested. Marcus was a very measured and calm witness. I have put my thoughts below, I won't put them in spoiler tags but don't read them yet if you don't want any!

It sounds as if the series is going to cover other things other than ghosts so I can't wait to hear what. :bthumbup:

The sceptic is either getting insufficient information or isn't really listening - he was saying the initial banging on the window was a neighbour checking of they were okay but we are told the house is "in the middle of nowhere" and the neighbour doesn't arrive until a bit later and in a car.

He also says that Marcus wouldn't have fired the rifle unless he had known deep down that the figure wasn't a ghost (because what is the point of shooting at a ghost). But, as Danny said, how could he have thought that clearly? Plus, he is a teenage boy, not an expert in dealing with ghosts.

Evelyn mentions that if special sigils had been on the board, it might have been of a kind that was used to summon spirits I don't know how to spell - not your relatives. Marcus describes it as having "African language" on it so it really does sound like one of those boards.

Was the water still there when the Firemen took the boys back to the house the next day? This wasn't mentioned!

Finally, Aunt Jean's horrifying death has obviously affected Marcus greatly (who wouldn't be affected by that?) The incident could have been triggered by the power cut and a few shadows and odd sounds. He does say later on that when the power went out, he thought of how Aunt Jean must have felt when the power went out in New Orleans. I don't know about the water though. That is harder to explain.:thought:

Intriguing case IMHO.
For me I wasn't that impressed until the water was mentioned as it sounded like burglars attempting to enter the house through a back window. Danny said either very tall or floating but the obvious answer is a stepladder or ladder. I remember watching a true crime tv show about detectives staking out a country house to catch burglars in the act of targeting antiques and they made a point of telling the owner to ensure all ladders were securely locked away as that is the first thing burglars will look for if they can't get in easily.

The water is a lot harder to explain but as ever Danny doesn't tell us if any pipes were broken, if there was a water tank in the roof, if the house had sprinklers etc etc He also doesn't tell us how they cleaned the sodden house up, surely everything was ruined? The banging coming from everywhere could actually be a serious plumbing issue on the verge of a serious failure and flood.

But, despite all my doubts you can see the metaphors of a hurricane approaching in the water the figure ran at him, the banging and water (i.e. the terrifying running figure was a metaphor for the hurricane bearing down on the house). But overall I'm Team Skeptic on this one.

Interesting that a lot of Danny's facebook crowd are suggesting that the banging was caused by water pipes about to burst. I'm a bit annoyed that Danny was so vague on the aftermath of this incident i.e. did they check all the water pipes the following day? It is such an obvious question.

View attachment 76096

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10162178474508755&set=p.10162178474508755&type=3

This is it and it was all over Twitter (as was):

https://www.distractify.com/trending/2018/10/19/2sSbx4/what-happens-when-you-play-the-ouija-board

This is a lot of apprehension on that Uncanny Fans Facebook page about the show being in the US and I'm not sure this is going to be a great start

This raises a red flag

1714560757382.png

As I understand it, and I am not an expert, but New Orleans is below sea level. Basements don't make any sense?

This raises a red flag

View attachment 76161

As I understand it, and I am not an expert, but New Orleans is below sea level. Basements don't make any sense?

The places this forum takes you!

"Basements are common in other parts of the country, but our high water table makes it a rarity in New Orleans.

To avoid having to dig to build a basement, our forebears in the early 20th century invented the raised-basement house, a uniquely New Orleans house type consisting of a lower-ceilinged "basement" built at ground level with a higher-ceilinged living space above."

https://www.nola.com/entertainment_...s are common in other,a rarity in New Orleans.

"Basements are common in other parts of the country, but our high water table makes it a rarity in New Orleans.

To avoid having to dig to build a basement, our forebears in the early 20th century invented the raised-basement house, a uniquely New Orleans house type consisting of a lower-ceilinged "basement" built at ground level with a higher-ceilinged living space above."

https://www.nola.com/entertainment_life/home_garden/new-orleans-houses-101-a-guide-to-the-citys-historic-architecture/article_d52bb83e-8458-5c82-87f0-c386c8c04faa.html#:~:text=Basements are common in other,a rarity in New Orleans.

I think I've heard this also referred to as a 'utility floor' - or something along those lines - in some novel or other which was set in NO.

Also, there's a modest Reddit thread here which suggests that, although uncommon, underground facilities might not be entirely unknown.

https://www.nola.com/entertainment_life/home_garden/new-orleans-houses-101-a-guide-to-the-citys-historic-architecture/article_d52bb83e-8458-5c82-87f0-c386c8c04faa.html#:~:text=Basements are common in other,a rarity in New Orleans.
Ahh ok, so a crawl space.

1714561465761.png

I guess if her house caved in, she'd be found in 'the basement', not sure how else she'd end up there. If it was flooding, she'd have been carried out I think

So, I've just gone back to read the original Twitter thread. The whole narrative reads like someone was trying to break into the house and there is no mention of that person being extremely tall, also:

ouija33-1539965892377-1539967939737.jpeg

So water on the floor and in the halls, just as you would get if a sink overflowed or a pipe burst.

ouija37-1539965943034-1539967945335.jpeg

Again, water on th floor. Also he didn't even know how to use the dshotgun so I expect the safety was still on:

ouija24-1539965811826-1539967923545.jpeg

Sorry but this case has been exaggerated by either the witness, Danny or both since it was first posted on Twitter (X). There is nothing paranormal about someone banging on your door, standing on something to look in your window, speaking slowly in the local accent to frighten these teenagers, running in a cornfield, banging on windows to make them open (and successfully, too) and then blocking up a sink or whatever before scarpering as the cops arrive,

Easily the least convincing episode of Uncanny and standing below a tall window and refusing to contemplate the existence of ladders doesn't make it any better

Ahh ok, so a crawl space.

View attachment 76162

I guess if her house caved in, she'd be found in 'the basement', not sure how else she'd end up there. If it was flooding, she'd have been carried out I think
It was during Katrina. She was also wheelchair bound. There were pictures at the time that showed people being rescued in boats from their roofs. The electricity went out and, as reported by the police, they believe that she was in her basement and the chair lift wouldn’t work without electricity. She couldn’t get out.

It was during Katrina. She was also wheelchair bound. There were pictures at the time that showed people being rescued in boats from their roofs. The electricity went out and, as reported by the police, they believe that she was in her basement and the chair lift wouldn’t work without electricity. She couldn’t get out.

I guess I'd have to see this house to visualize it I think. I'm trying to picture an old woman in a wheelchair living in a crawlspace with a chairlift and it does not compute.

But just for safety, wouldn't there be an alternative means of escape?
Sure, I know it's a private home but really?

But just for safety, wouldn't there be an alternative means of escape?
Sure, I know it's a private home but really?
That's why I'm having trouble visualizing so I had a look.

1714564260321.png
1714564400787.png
1714564443683.png

I'm guessing the house was something like this, which would make a bit more sense but doesn't explain why she'd need an elevator or chair lift. If there wasn't a door to the outside (like you said, should've been?) and the flood waters had gotten too high, seems to me she'd have realized the need to leave. Maybe she just waited to die? Weird.

I just can't visualize this

View attachment 76175

Is there a picture of this house anywhere?
Does he mean a stairlift type of arrangement?

Anyway, it seems upside down. I just had a look at 'Witch shops New Orleans" on Google maps and there are plenty of them sort of clustered in one district. All the shops seem to have the shop on the street level and accommodation upstairs (if any).

Searching "New Orleans Witch Shops" didn't disappoint. I need to go do a NOLA Witch Shop crawl

1714564809443.png

I love the architecture there. I guess if just beyond the front entrance was an enclosed lobby and staircase to the upper levels, with the rest of the ground floor for living area but still doesn't explain why the need for a chairlift or elevator to get out

Back