• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Underground (Miscellaneous: Tunnels, Roads, Bunkers Etc.)

Today we spent most of the day filling one of our holes in. But we did find some more bits of ceramics as we did.

To me they feel older than our 1920s house. Maybe they chucked out the old stuff. I do wish they’d have buried more of it in one place.
2A01D22C-0A1B-4C0F-A1BD-0A95C56AF405.jpeg

Today we spent most of the day filling one of our holes in. But we did find some more bits of ceramics as we did.

To me they feel older than our 1920s house. Maybe they chucked out the old stuff. I do wish they’d have buried more of it in one place. View attachment 28011
Good examples from bit's of old 'Crocs!"

We’ve still been digging. Not much to report, we’ve found an area with lots of glass (bits of bottles and jars). But today we found this. We haven’t been able to get it out. But we don’t know what it is. Anyone have any idea?

It looks like a metal Dino head to me, maybe from a failed take over by the Cybermen.:p

Attachments

• A3AD0E3F-B400-4114-A6DD-003F1A689B01.jpeg
    A3AD0E3F-B400-4114-A6DD-003F1A689B01.jpeg
    146.6 KB · Views: 47
We’ve still been digging. Not much to report, we’ve found an area with lots of glass (bits of bottles and jars). But today we found this. We haven’t been able to get it out. But we don’t know what it is. Anyone have any idea?

It looks like a metal Dino head to me, maybe from a failed take over by the Cybermen.:p
From what can be seen - appears to be showing a side of a metal bowl?

It makes me think of a digger head. But it’s only got a ‘tooth’ at the edge.
That sounds more plausible 'MoriningAngel,' it's that square piece on the left side of the photo that makes it look as though it's meant to slot into something, but the metal section itself doesn't appear to be very thick, which a digger head would have to be?

Old anvil?

Old anvil?
It’s hollow so can’t be that.

Someone suggested it could be a water tank which I could see. It reminds me of an old toilet cistern but I think the outside loo still has its original one. Although we found a chain yesterday that I’m suspicious is a loo chain and the old loo did have a weird looking one of those when I checked.

Last edited:

Someone suggested it could be a water tank which I could see. It reminds me of an old toilet cistern but I think the outside loo still has its original one. Although we found a chain yesterday that I’m suspicious is a loo chain and the old loo did have a weird looking one of those when I checked.
Wonder if it's an old type of wash bowl (sink for washing face & hands?) the chain could be an old sink chain which were quite strongly made compared with today's models?

Sorry if I missed this but, @MorningAngel - why are you digging a massive pit in your back garden?
We started off looking for an air raid shelter. We are told a lot of houses have one underneath their garden in our area. Alas we haven’t found one. It’s not one hole, it’s lots of different holes in different places. Our garden is quite big.

We started off looking for an air raid shelter. We are told a lot of houses have one underneath their garden in our area. Alas we haven’t found one. It’s not one hole, it’s lots of different holes in different places. Our garden is quite big.

*visions of you living on an estate* (like a country estate, not a council estate)

Thanks for the explanation, but what happens if you don't find a shelter? Do you use the hole to build one?

*visions of you living on an estate* (like a country estate, not a council estate)

Thanks for the explanation, but what happens if you don't find a shelter? Do you use the hole to build one?
Nope second although most houses are now privately owned. Ours was council when we moved in.

Well we’ve found many things we have no idea what they are along the way. But we have been filling in behind ourselves. Although I think a swimming pool would have been nice.

Well I’ve checked and it’s not original. So it could be that.

Looks like a gerzunder clamp from a waggle-flange. A rare '1936 & a 1/2' model.
Only produced by one company, in Purley.
If you put it up close to your ear you might just about be able to make out the sound of the tide coming in at Romney Marshes.
They were discontinued when they were found to cause excessive melancholy.
A good find!

Attachments

• 61E29F2D-6CA3-4BD5-B2EB-CAFC53682079.jpeg
    61E29F2D-6CA3-4BD5-B2EB-CAFC53682079.jpeg
    196.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 669B17E2-D3EA-4AAE-8FB3-A4F4A1FB7F6D.jpeg
    669B17E2-D3EA-4AAE-8FB3-A4F4A1FB7F6D.jpeg
    184 KB · Views: 35
  • C08BA03B-BE1E-415D-980D-C2095E865B9A.jpeg
    C08BA03B-BE1E-415D-980D-C2095E865B9A.jpeg
    152.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 5183E1A4-E72B-4281-A6E7-B014E870CD94.jpeg
    5183E1A4-E72B-4281-A6E7-B014E870CD94.jpeg
    181.8 KB · Views: 43
I gather that the Diggers of Moscow have had quite a lot of exposure in other places and even on the BBC. Yet we haven't had them on here and I hadn't heard of them before till I came across one of these links:

http://outside.away.com/magazine/0997/9709under.html

A good character-study of the star Digger and his motivations. Some of the wilder claims need this context. The secret deep-level Metro might be true though I don't hold out much hope of Ivan the Terrible's Library!

http://www.thebulletin.org/article.php? ... 97ilnitsky

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4648569.stm

Juicy stuff and lots more if you Google for it. :)

Maybe the Diggers merit a thread to themselves?
Loads of Fortean stuff in their online presence;

https://www.rbth.com/travel/326688-how-to-become-moscow-digger

We’ve actually managed to get it out. Dad thinks it’s part of a fire but I can’t find any pictures on the internet of similar.

I agree (several months later :) ) Bottom front (not front bottom) of a cream enamel fire (or oven maybe??) with the wee handle opening or closing the damper.

I enjoyed the whole hunt!

Mystery medieval tunnels that don't appear on any maps are uncovered near 12th century abbey

Mystery medieval tunnels near a 12th century abbey have been accidentally uncovered by workmen moving an electricity pole.

40086530-9330203-The_tunnel_site_was_found_near_to_Tintern_Abbey_close_to_the_Eng-m-37_1614956307466.jpg

The team stumbled on the secret underground network - unseen for hundreds of years - in Tintern, Monmouthshire.

The tunnel site was found near Tintern Abbey, close to the England-Wales border, by engineers working for Western Power Distribution.

The company said the four-foot high tunnels were not on any previous Ordnance Survey map but work at the site was halted so heritage chiefs could inspect.

Team leader Allyn Gore said they were excavating a trench on a customer's property when they came across the tunnels.

40086538-9330203-image-a-24_1614956166284.jpg

Mr Gore said: 'Nothing had shown up on any of our drawings or records to indicate there was anything unusual about the site.

Initial inspections suggest the tunnel runs parallel to the Angiddy Brook flowing through the Wye Valley.

map-tintern-s97-s.jpg

Archeologists are set to launch a full exploration of the tunnels but Mr Gore believes it 'could take years' before they're able to complete their investigations.

There are suggestions the tunnels could be linked to the iron works that have previously been found in the area.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...r-maps-uncovered-near-12th-century-abbey.html

maximus otter

I agree (several months later :) ) Bottom front (not front bottom) of a cream enamel fire (or oven maybe??) with the wee handle opening or closing the damper.

I enjoyed the whole hunt!
Yes - many more months later!

It is the front of a grate, from the days of coal or coke fires. They were known as All-Night Burners. The panel underneath was removed to empty the ashes - threre was usually a pan within, to make that easier. I would have expected a hinged panel at the top, which would regulate the draught to control the speed things burned. :)

Mystery medieval tunnels that don't appear on any maps are uncovered near 12th century abbey

Mystery medieval tunnels near a 12th century abbey have been accidentally uncovered by workmen moving an electricity pole.

40086530-9330203-The_tunnel_site_was_found_near_to_Tintern_Abbey_close_to_the_Eng-m-37_1614956307466.jpg

The team stumbled on the secret underground network - unseen for hundreds of years - in Tintern, Monmouthshire.

The tunnel site was found near Tintern Abbey, close to the England-Wales border, by engineers working for Western Power Distribution.

The company said the four-foot high tunnels were not on any previous Ordnance Survey map but work at the site was halted so heritage chiefs could inspect.

Team leader Allyn Gore said they were excavating a trench on a customer's property when they came across the tunnels.

40086538-9330203-image-a-24_1614956166284.jpg

Mr Gore said: 'Nothing had shown up on any of our drawings or records to indicate there was anything unusual about the site.

Initial inspections suggest the tunnel runs parallel to the Angiddy Brook flowing through the Wye Valley.

map-tintern-s97-s.jpg

Archeologists are set to launch a full exploration of the tunnels but Mr Gore believes it 'could take years' before they're able to complete their investigations.

There are suggestions the tunnels could be linked to the iron works that have previously been found in the area.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...r-maps-uncovered-near-12th-century-abbey.html

maximus otter
They are (almost) certainly leats supplying water to the many metal works that used to be up the Angidy valley. There's a good paper on the industry here: DGT55.pdf (outsideecho.com)

Back