• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What Did You Dream Of Last Night?

When ever I've dreamed of an ex-partner, I've been left with an unreasonable sense of guilt, regardless of the 'story'.
I know that these are memories and nothing to do with the 'now', but I don't like that the memories I have still impinge on my sub-consciousness.

I woke up from a dream where I had been washing my eldest son's clothes.

For some reason we'd had a family get-together and eldest son had worn a very new white shirt and black trousers. I was hand washing them in a sink and the colour was coming out of the trousers. I was hoping that, if I washed the shirt very quickly, too much colour wouldn't transfer to it.

Then I was looking at eldest son and telling him he looked really good and I was proud of him. He looked like a mixture of how he used to look when he was younger (very skinny, dyed hair) and how he does now - he's filled out a bit and grown a beard.

Oddly enough, this morning his wife messaged me to say that she's managed to get him to agree to wear shorts on our forthcoming holiday (he usually refuses to reveal his legs and was threatening to pack only jeans to take to GREECE IN JUNE!!!).

I dreamed I was preparing for a cycling expedition to Belfast via Dublin and the Irish Ferry.

My travelling companion was a family friend who's my children's age. The idea was to take the train to Holyhead and the ferry to Dublin, then pedal northwards to Belfast.

When I went to the friend's home to collect the bike she'd changed her mind about cycling and instead obtained a couple of Quadrophenia-type scooters. I kicked off because I'd looked forward to the cycling.

Suddenly I noticed my criminal ex lurking around and blamed him.

Total tosh as usual. :chuckle:

I had a weird night last night. An achy leg/hip had me tossing and turning and not able to get comfortable, so my dreams were strange and fragmented, but I did have one that stuck with me.

I was in my old house (which no longer exists in the same format, it's been rebuilt) standing in the living room looking out over the patio. I kind of half-knew I was dreaming but not to the extent of being lucid, and I 'saw' my old and dearest dog, Dylan, as an almost transparent shape, moving along to the corner of the patio (almost as you'd see if you were looking at a reflection in glass). I knew he was gone and tried to keep looking at the image, but it vanished very quickly as I called out to someone to come and see. Then I was standing in the kitchen looking through to the downstairs bathroom and a bunch of children (it may have been my own children much younger than they are now) ran past me all clambering to get into the bath which was full of bubbles. They ignored me as though I were a ghost.

I'm obviously in one of my 'remembering my dreams' cycles. Last night...

I was in, or watching but somehow still taking part in, a horror film. I was living with a bunch of people at the top of a deserted big, rambling house alongside a road in a very quiet part of the country. I think we were hiding out up there, but the accommodation was self contained, so we just had to keep our heads down. We (they) had done something very bad, serial murder I think. But just milling about, going about our business. Then one member of the group came up the concrete stairs that led to our space, and behind him came a family, talking about buying the house. A young couple with a baby. As they came up the stairs we all shouted 'you left the door open!' This meant discovery, and we couldn't afford to let anyone go who might know where we were. So our leader - a dark young man with peculiar eyes (sort of glazed, a bit like cataracts but deeper than that, very strange) took the family downstairs to the main house to pretend to show them around. Then we heard the chainsaw and the baby crying...

I kept thinking 'I don't want to watch any more, I want to turn off, I don't want to see the bodies.' Fortunately I woke up before it all went ominously quiet down there. It was HORRIBLE. I never watch horror films for this reason! Plus, I am puzzled by the 'baby crying', I could hear it clearly, yet there are no babies anywhere near me in real life and the nearest sound I have is cats yowling. But if a cat yowls outside the dog will leap up and bark madly, and she would have woken me (I would have been grateful, trust me).

In a second dream I was in a bed in a dormitory-type set up, bundled up with a young man I know slightly in real life, from the farm down the road. He was telling me all about how an elderly man who lives near him has a bath, 'lining the bath with flannels' and then having someone boil up water to pour in. It was only when I woke up I realised that this was probably my audio book (A Time Traveller's Guide to the Medieval Era) bleeding through!

A whole series of weird and disjointed dreams last night but I only remembered parts. In one, one of my daughters was holding out something, for me to see, and it was moving slightly, like a baby bird. But in the dream I remember, I was lying on the grass somewhere on the moors. I was with three other people, one young man, someone in a wheelchair and someone else. Beside me there was an old car, which I knew belonged to the young man, it was a Hillman Imp or a car of that kind. My shirt was wet, for some reason and I was cold and trying to cuddle up to the car to stay warm. The car was a pale blue colour and I could see where the bonnet closed there were plants growing out of the gap, houseleeks and cacti, very small. I asked the young man why he had plants growing out of his car, and he answered but I had to turn round to see him. He was stretched on the grass near me, wearing white trainers, jeans and a jacket and he looked distressed, as though he might cry. I wanted to reach out and touch him to reassure him, but I didn't. I also wanted to suggest that we came down off the moors as I was wet and cold, but said nothing.

I woke up, neither wet nor cold, remembering the sight of those plants in the crack of the car bodywork. Most odd.

Yesterday a colleague from a former job sprang to mind, no reason; perhaps I saw someone like him at work.
Couldn't remember his name and briefly thought of ringing someone we both worked with to ask but didn't bother because it's not important.

Anyway...
Last night I dreamed I went back to where we used to work together and although the building and processes had changed, and there were all new people there, I spotted Dean.

We chatted happily about what we'd been up to in the years since we'd last seen each other.

This was my subconscious reminding me of Dean's name and how he's probably going far as I expected he would.

Back at my last workplace, to discuss a new project with my old bosses. they wanted me to train a chorus of Clangers, and I managed to get dozens of Clangers to perch on ledges around a rotating glitter ball and whistle in harmony.

In full cinematic technicolor, I dreamt that I was helping out a Japanese academic in his research as a quid pro quo for mine.
After a few social media postings and emails, he proudly received no less than 23 donated Ford Capris!
I can't remember what we were researching.

Started off dreaming that I was back with my children's dad. We'd bought some big place somewhere but he was, as usual, being an utter arse. I was lying in bed next to his brother (yes, I'm not sure about that bit either) and trying to get him to confess that they were only after my money really, I was bigging up my income and eventually the brother admitted that, yes, they just wanted me for my steady income (this is laughable as anyone would know).

Then I was on a train, holding my youngest daughter very close up against me (she was a small child). There was a man at the end of the carriage, and for some reason we had to find out something about him. He had a guitar and we were trying to go through his bags to find information. Someone else shouted 'I've found it!' and I discovered that I had a piece of paper that would give us all the information needed, only there were big holes that had been chewed out of the relevant parts, as though slugs or snails had been all over it. A train was approaching on the other track, heading towards a tunnel, and had to slow right down as there were people walking through the tunnel too, they pressed themselves in against the sides and I found I was holding my child more tightly to make room, whilst realising how ridiculous that was!

I can't really put a time sequence on my dreams last night but I understood the two completely different dreams (in terms of subject) to be different views of the same sequence of events.

Dream one. I was hiking in rough terrain, like Dartmoor or the Peak District, with someone else. We were trying to hide from another group of hikers and took cover behind a dry stone wall. My companion said to me something along the lines of "Hike on ahead and they will join up with you, then you can guide them through the mountains." I hiked on alone, as instructed, and the other group came down towards me from another valley and I joined up with them, and showed them the way across the moors.

Dream two (somehow simultaneously). I was second-in-command on a sailing ship (it looked like a brigantine but was mentally a sloop). We were sat off the coast. The captain told me that an enemy ship was up a river, the mouth of which we could see. The captain said he would set off overland with a bunch of men, and that I should take command, sail up the river and attack the other ship. Our ship only had a few cannons, so after the captain and his landing party departed, I took the ship in to a small abandoned coastal fort and loaded up a couple more cannons. Instead of sailing up the river, I took the ship around a headland and further out to sea, and waited for the enemy ship to leave the river so we could ambush it in open sea (?)

I really love my dreams (usually).

Last edited:
Only half remembered fragments for ages now. Chasing or being chased by suited guys and getting away in an old Citroen DS. Seeing a strange large mammal in the garden but it went before I could photograph it.

Can't remember the whole story in my dream - it had something to do with being at University - but part of it had me wandering around with my hands full with my jacket, hat, a large cup of coffee and a fire extinguisher.
This is the first time I recalled dreaming in colour!

I dreamt I bumped into one of my old bosses who I have mentioned on here before very unflatteringly.
He got me back in the dream by offering a colleague who was with me an exceedingly good job offer whilst completely blanking me.
I currently hate the toxic environment I work in but the job location is ideal and the length of the programme will take me to within 6 months of retirement, but the dream reinforced the ”trapped” situation I seem to be in.
I never remembered my dreams until quite recently and they seem to stay with me now when I wake up.

By the way, me and that old boss eventually found common ground and we got on a lot better and developed a sort of grudging respect for each other.

Had a vivid dream about an airliner which has stayed with me.

I wa standing on a hill somewhere in north-west England, say Lancashire, looking across a valley.
An airliner approached from the right in the distance, along the top of the hills.

It was flying quite low. As I watched it turned to its left, towards me, and banked so I could see the top of its wings and body.

Suddenly I saw objects falling away from the stern end. I realised they were passengers who were trying to save themselves by ditching.
As they had no parachutes I thought 'They must be desperate to do that, knowing they'll die.'

The plane continued on its new path towards me and I knew it would crash into the hillside below me. My last sight of it was from above.

That's all there was to it. Those poor people.
Dunno what that was about.

I recently dreamt about watching a space shuttle go up - hoping it made it's journey safely and didn't blow up. For some reason it offered hope of another life/other options if it did. It did. After that I actually watched the BBC Iplayer documentary about the shuttle that disintegrated on it's return.

Other than that, I have had dreams about living in a house (one my mind has created) - I can remember the details of the house. It was near the sea. I could hear the sea and gulls etc and see the sea too.

I often dream about moving into/living in houses - with lots of detail about the houses. The houses are usually ones my mind has manufactured, not based on real life ones.

And just to add, last night I dreamt about moving into the house (I think the same one, although this time no sea sounds etc). I had left a window ajar and a beautiful cat escaped from inside. I had to run outside to try and rescue it and bring it in, before closing the window so it couldn't get back out.

Last edited:
The night before last I dreamed that I had got a job working somewhere that provided accommodation, for someone called Bernard. I went to my room and it had huge double doors that opened out to the sea. I stood and looked out and the waves were quite large but moving very slowly and sluggishly. Each time a wave broke, the water came right up to the doors and lapped slightly underneath, where there was a piece of old and rotting wood. I wondered what would happen during a storm, and whether the sea would just come right into the room.

Last night I dreamed that someone important had died. It was shown on TV, but then they showed a man driving a car and talking about the effect of the death. It was filmed as though he had a camera and was filming himself. He had a very odd bowl-cut haircut and was saying 'first we'll go and pick up George...' No idea who George was, or where he fitted in to all this.

The other night (ok, I'm cheating) I dreamt of about 7 people including myself and my husband. We were stranded in a dark city somewhere and were trying to drive home.

First we were in a bus. We were in a sketchy area and we made sure that the bus doors were locked. My sister instead, somehow pulled an emergency door off. Then we looked for another vehicle.

The next vehicle was a car(?) that we all just managed to fit into, like sardines. My husband insisted that he drive because we were in a dangerous area.

The surroundings got darker. We were going through a maze of streets and buildings. At one point, we pulled over because police had blocked access to the street. Once the trafic was redirected, we couldn't get back onto the road because all of the other cars kept blocking us. My husband was becoming irate, which I thought wouldn't make our situation any better.

Then, we lost the car. I saw a jeep sized vehicle and had us all pile in. I insisted that I drive. I thought that we were headed to an area of the city which I recognized (from other dreams) and that we would finally make our way home.

As I drove, in my mind, I kept it positive because I knew that any thought that had doubt of a good outcome would make things worse.

The surroundings got brighter and I decided that it was coming to daylight. Then the vehicle was gone. We were standing in front of a building corner blocking our way. One of the people started to doubt that we could get anywhere. I quickly showed them my method of walking through the wall with no resistance (another technique I have learned in other dreams which only works if you have no doubt that it works). All of us did this, several times because walls kept appearing.

The dream setting kept getting brighter. I was sure that we would get home.

After so many times of having obstacles getting in our way and figuring out how to get past them, I got bored and woke up.

The interesting thing about this dream was that I lost none of the original characters and I was able to get past all obstacles with little problem.

Usually, I lose characters, especially when none are really people I know irl, and when that happens then the tone of the dream usually changes for the worse. I was also able to find vehicles that we all fit into. I intentionally allowed no doubt in my mind because in my dream state, I knew of past (dream) experiences and how doubt had caused me trouble.

The night before last I dreamed that I had got a job working somewhere that provided accommodation, for someone called Bernard. I went to my room and it had huge double doors that opened out to the sea. I stood and looked out and the waves were quite large but moving very slowly and sluggishly. Each time a wave broke, the water came right up to the doors and lapped slightly underneath, where there was a piece of old and rotting wood. I wondered what would happen during a storm, and whether the sea would just come right into the room.

Last night I dreamed that someone important had died. It was shown on TV, but then they showed a man driving a car and talking about the effect of the death. It was filmed as though he had a camera and was filming himself. He had a very odd bowl-cut haircut and was saying 'first we'll go and pick up George...' No idea who George was, or where he fitted in to all this.
George Bernard Shaw is the connection I made with the two names.

Back