• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

World Records (Miscellaneous)

Lisa Sparks hold the world record for having sex with the most men in 24 hours.
In Warsaw in 2004, Ms. Sparks beat two other contestants by servicing 919 men, each for an average of 45 seconds.

Lisa.png

https://energynewsgh.com/meet-lisa-sparks-the-lady-who-slept-with-919-men-within-24-hours/

In Warsaw in 2004, Ms. Sparks beat two other contestants by servicing 919 men, each for an average of 45 seconds.

View attachment 67879

https://energynewsgh.com/meet-lisa-sparks-the-lady-who-slept-with-919-men-within-24-hours/
I'm guessing that's not going to be in the Guinness Book of World Records.

And I can't imagine the McWhirters and Roy Castle covering that story on Record Breakers, either... "If you're the..."

each for an average of 45 seconds
An average? So she didn't have a timer to ensure that every participant got an equal time?
I bet some poor sod only got to hop on and off again and 'barely got through the front door'.

View attachment 67879

919 (lucky? men) x 45 seconds per bout = 41,355 seconds

41,355 seconds = 689.25 minutes

689.25 minutes = 11.49 hours

What was the lazy cow doing for the other 12.51 hours, thrashing her Greggs loyalty card?

maximus otter

I feel it's quality rather than quantity that counts.

Besides, I thought the GBR had culled many records, and limit the number of 'whacky' records to dissuade irresponsible or downright stupid actions.
And if it's not authorised in the GBR then how can anyone claim it's a world record?

What was the lazy cow doing for the other 12.51 hours
After the first 50 or 60 had had their turn it became necessary to stop every few minutes to use the fire extinguisher downstairs.

A Lisburn man has smashed the world record for the length of time spent drumming.

Allister Brown, who is 45, surpassed the previous record of 134 hours and five minutes and has currently been drumming for more than 149 hours.

He will now enter the Guinness World Records book for the third time.

He took on the challenge in memory of his late partner Sharon Deegan, who passed away from pancreatic cancer in January 2021 aged 49.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-66258591

I feel it's quality rather than quantity that counts.

Besides, I thought the GBR had culled many records, and limit the number of 'whacky' records to dissuade irresponsible or downright stupid actions.
And if it's not authorised in the GBR then how can anyone claim it's a world record?

Guinness World Records don't authenticate records where there is an existing recognised world body and as the report says, in this case the record was set at the 2004 World Championship so there must be an international governing structure with national affiliates. I just couldn't find any sources confirming this.

Multiple sites state the record is GWR recognised or at least show the GWR logo, but surprisingly it doesn't appear on the GWR website.

oxo

An average? So she didn't have a timer to ensure that every participant got an equal time?
I bet some poor sod only got to hop on and off again and 'barely got through the front door'.
I would assume the endeavor is on video somewhere, should someone be interested.

The tallest unoccupied residential building on Earth is the Ryugyong Hotel or Yu-Kyung Hotel in Pyongyang, North Korea.
This dystopian nightmare is 330 metres tall. It was commissioned by the dictator Kim il-Sung in 1987 and cost at least 2% of North Korea's GDP, at a time when its hapless citizens were starving in their millions. It has never been occupied or completed.

hotel.png

The tallest unoccupied residential building on Earth is the Ryugyong Hotel or Yu-Kyung Hotel in Pyongyang, North Korea.
This dystopian nightmare is 330 metres tall. It was commissioned by the dictator Kim il-Sung in 1987 and cost at least 2% of North Korea's GDP, at a time when its hapless citizens were starving in their millions. It has never been occupied or completed.

View attachment 68027
N.K. not being that welcoming to tourists, makes you wonder why they thought they needed a 3000+ room hotel.

That photo is a few years old - it’s now been clad in glass:
1690139346055.png

And at night it can light up. Lovely.
1690139372080.png

It’s still uninhabitable though.

The pyramidal shape is about more than aesthetics – it’s because the Ryugyong, unusually for a skyscraper, is made of reinforced concrete rather than steel.

“It was built like this because the upper levels needed to be lighter,” said Calvin Chua, a Singapore-based architect who has extensively researched Pyongyang’s urbanism, in a phone interview. “They didn’t have advanced construction materials, so it was built entirely in concrete. You can’t achieve a slender tower that way, you need to have a massive base with a tapered top.

“If you look at the history of construction in North Korea since the end of the Korean War, most of the buildings are made of concrete: That’s the material that they are familiar with, and the technology transfer between Soviet or communist states is purely based around concrete.”

Last edited:
N.K. not being that welcome to tourists, makes you wonder why they thought they needed a 3000+ room hotel.

View attachment 68038

View attachment 68039

I posted the rear view, which you're not normally permitted to see.
The front has indeed been covered in glass and LED screens and is used for propaganda displays.

hotel.png

I posted the rear view, which you're not normally permitted to see.
The front has indeed been covered in glass and LED screens and is used for propaganda displays.

View attachment 68043
Are you sure it’s clad on one side only? That photo is several years old as it has the derelict crane on the top which was there for about 20 years but which has since been removed.

Are you sure it’s clad on one side only? That photo is several years old as it has the derelict crane on the top which was there for about 20 years but which has since been removed.
Not having visited Pyongyang, let alone having taken a sneaky peek around the back of the structure, I can't say for sure. I was quoting from a post on Quora this morning.

N.K. not being that welcoming to tourists, makes you wonder why they thought they needed a 3000+ room hotel.

View attachment 68038

View attachment 68039

Concrete, eh?

In a building... 1000ft tall!

Hmm. I studied at the University of East Anglia which is famous (infamous? Notorious?) for its concrete architecture, and some of its six-storey accommodation blocks needed major renovations (including'extensive structural concrete repairs') a few years ago, and I'd humbly suggest that building standards in the UK might be a tad higher than in North Korea.

I can see that North Korean tower come a-tumbling down, which might be one reason why it's unoccupied.

57433566_10157811110844240_3068175068321284096_n.jpg

They don't care if it's empty, or even if it collapses.
It remains a symbol of the North Korean government ... er ... nation and it's maginificent superiority to other countries.

Concrete, eh?

Hmm. I studied at the University of East Anglia which is famous (infamous? Notorious?) for its concrete architecture, and some of its six-storey accommodation blocks needed major renovations (including'extensive structural concrete repairs') a few years ago, and I'd humbly suggest that building standards in the UK might be a tad higher than in North Korea.

I can see that North Korean tower come a-tumbling down, which might be one reason why it's unoccupied.

View attachment 68067
When I was a student, I lived in Park Hill flats in Sheffield. Awful monstrosity.
Built from reinforced concrete. It was only about 20 years old when I was there, and the steel rebar had rusted, causing concrete to flake away in places. It was falling apart.

Concrete, eh?

View attachment 68067
Can’t comment on the build quality but I’m liking the design of these..

World’s Longest Female Mullet

Tami Manis, from Knoxville, sports a flowing mane that is 5ft 8in (172.72cm) - nearly the height of the average man.

Ms Manis, a public health nurse, has had a mullet since the 1980s, inspired by a music video from American rock band 'Til Tuesday, and has not cut her hair in 33 years.

Her hairstyle will be featured in the 2024 Guinness World Records book.
1693597510855.png

Vid at link.

Watch: Women break upside-down skydive record​

An all-female skydive team has set a new record for the largest number of women to take part in a head-down formation jump.

The 12 women jumped from an aircraft at 14,000ft (4,267m) on 2 September, then flew together with heads pointing downwards while holding on to one another's arms to make a shape.

Hannah Parker, from Skydive Langar in Nottinghamshire, said the team had set two UK skydiving records by changing formation during the jump.

She added: “Skydiving is such a huge passion for all of us and it's fantastic to see boundaries being pushed. Ours is a sport where female participation is on the rise, but we've still got a way to go."

Skydive Langar said the event was overseen by British Skydiving, the governing body for skydiving in the UK, which confirmed the new record.

Video journalist: Chris Waring

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-nottinghamshire-66744324

Back