• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Time Travel In Fiction: Literature, Films & Television

He is behind the times - it is already possible:

Chiropractor claims to travel through time

Ohio investigates provider who offers to reach into past to heal patients

Updated: 4:16 p.m. ET April 7, 2006

COLUMBUS, Ohio - A chiropractor who claims he can treat anyone by reaching back in time to when an injury occurred has attracted the attention of state regulators.

The Ohio State Chiropractic Board, in a notice of hearing, has accused James Burda of Athens of being "unable to practice chiropractic according to acceptable and prevailing standards of care due to mental illness, specifically, Delusional Disorder, Grandiose Type."

Burda denied that he is mentally ill. He said he possesses a skill he discovered by accident while driving six years ago.
Story continues below ↓ advertisement

"My foot hurt and, knowing anatomy, I went ahead and I told it to realign and my pain went away," Burda said Thursday.

Burda calls his treatment "Bahlaqeem."

"It is a made-up word and, to my knowledge, has no known meaning except for this intended purpose. It does, however, have a soothing vibrational influence and contains the very special number of nine letters," Burda's Web site says.

The board alleges in three counts against Burda that the treatment is unacceptable and constitutes "willful and gross malpractice." Burda has until May 1 to request a hearing. The board can levy penalties ranging from a reprimand to revoking his license to practice, said Kelly Caudill, the board's executive director.

Caudill said she could not discuss the board's allegations while the investigation continues and could not comment on whether any of Burda's patients had complained. She said the board began the investigation when it learned of Burda's Web site. Burda said he likely will seek a hearing.

Burda said he charges nothing for his first "visit," usually by phone or Internet, and subsequent treatments are $60.

"All treatments are satisfaction-guaranteed. Treatment is always done before payment is made," Burda said, adding that one patient "just wasn't satisfied, and I tore up her check.

The Web site describes the treatment as "a long-distance healing service (not a product) to help increase the quality of your life that can be performed in the privacy of your home or other personal space. There is no need to come to my office."

The treatment is not telepathic because the patient does not have to believe in what he's doing, Burda said. He has treated hundreds of patients and reports nine out of 10 patients are satisfied, he said.

While he knows of no other people who have his particular skill, he said lawmakers and regulators should allow alternative forms of treatment for the patients who seek them.

"People who are in need cannot go to these people because they are not allowed to practice. This is terrible," Burda said.

----------
Copyright 2006 The Associated Press.

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12208638/

Site (and check out the testimonials!!!):

www.bahlaqeem.com

He's a chiropractor, and they had to wait until he started talking about time travel before realising he was crazy?

It's probably on DVD, I missed it on its flying visit to the cinema.

Probably not a classic, but looks entertaining enough.

It's probably on DVD, I missed it on its flying visit to the cinema.

Probably not a classic, but looks entertaining enough.

Mind you I'll watch anything about Time Travel (and there's some pretty bad movies out there).

Mind you I'll watch anything about Time Travel (and there's some pretty bad movies out there).

Yes indeed, there was a fine example on Monday on one of the satellite movie channels staring the guy who played Jock Ewing (Jim Davis). It was so bad it was fasinating. It was called 'The day time ended'.

Although Wells' 'Time Machine' is mentioned on several threads here, none of them seem suitable for this story:

HG Wells or Enrique Gaspar: Whose time machine was first?
By Kathryn Westcott, BBC News

The HG Wells tale of a Victorian gentleman who voyaged through time on a time machine of his own invention was the one that captured the public's imagination - but it was not the first of its kind.
It may surprise science fiction fans to learn that it was a little-known Spanish playwright who gave birth to the idea of time travel via a mechanical contraption.

But Enrique Gaspar's hour may have finally come - his re-discovered novel will feature as one of the highlights of the British Library's first ever science fiction exhibition next month.
And, thanks largely to the persistence of Spanish science fiction fans, El Anacronopete will be translated into English for the first time, as The Time Ship: A Chrononautical Journey, next year.
The novel was published in Spain in 1897, beating HG Wells' The Time Machine into print by more than seven years.

"This does seem to be the first literary description of a time machine noted so far," says Andy Sawyer, librarian of the Science Fiction Foundation Library at the University of Liverpool, and one of the curators of the British Library exhibition.
"There are, of course, much earlier descriptions of travelling through time - usually in a dream, but occasionally by some kind of magic.
"Edward Page Mitchell's story The Clock That Went Backward (1881) is usually described as the first time-machine story, but I'm not sure that a clock quite counts."

It was coincidental that the two Europeans dreamt up such a fantastical invention at around the same time (there is no indication that Wells read Gaspar's novel) - but this was the 19th Century, the age of new technologies, such as the steam engine, telegraph and electricity.

While Wells' time machine was a minimalist affair, Gaspar's was elaborate, an enormous rectangular ship constructed of iron and run on electricity.
"The original illustrations are wonderful and those coupled with the descriptions remind me somewhat of Dr Who's Tardis," says Mr Sawyer.
Like the Tardis, the time ship appears to be bigger on the inside than the outside. Gaspar's invention comes complete with a futuristic laundry, kitchen and observation deck. 8)

El Anacronopete was originally written as a comic operetta while Gaspar, a flamboyant diplomat, was posted to China.
He was a prolific playwright, but also wrote a few novels that dealt with the social impact of science and technology.

"The novel wasn't meant to be a serious scientific exploration, except as a way of looking at the past or the future as a way of satirising the present," says Mr Sawyer, who himself only recently found out about El Anacronopete.
"It's interesting to look at a novel that... was written for motives other than just a fascination with technology."

Christine Buchanan, Gaspar's great granddaughter, describes him as "witty, inventive, generous, lively and undoubtedly a man of great charisma and personal charm".

But his greatest invention made little impact at the time. While Wells' The Time Machine has never been out of print and has been enjoyed the world over, El Anacronopete fell into obscurity.
"It had to wait for more than 100 years for the whole text to be rescued, says Yolanda Molina-Gavilan, professor of Spanish at Eckerd College in Florida.
Ms Molina-Gavilan is translating the novel into English for the Wesleyan University Press, along with Professor Andrea Bell, an expert in science fiction from Latin America and Spain.

Ms Molina-Gavilan says that it is thanks to the detective work of a Spanish science fiction club that El Anacronopete saw the light of day again. In 1999 it was distributed by the club on floppy disk.
It was subsequently reprinted in Spain on two more occasions, but is currently out of print. The whole text can be found in digital form in Google.
"There is a big science fiction fan scene in Spain, but academic circles have been slow to appreciate the genre," says Ms Molina-Gavilan.

Nineteenth-century Spanish literature is not associated with fantasy or science fiction, but it is believed Gaspar, who was well-travelled, was influenced by French astronomer and author Camille Flammarion and his fellow countryman, science fiction writer Jules Verne - author of Journey to the Centre of the Earth and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

And Verne's Around the World in 80 Days - which introduced readers to exotic lands beyond their wildest imagination - had been staged more than 400 times in France by the time El Anacronopete was published.
"Verne had been translated into Spanish and was a best-seller at the time," says Ms Molina-Gavilan. "I think Gaspar was trying to write a popular story, he was trying to catch on to something and maybe make a quick buck."

El Anacronopete is steeped in humour and in it Gaspar lampoons some of the ridiculous uses of science. He questions whether scientific progress and technological advances are the answers to everything.

But Ms Molina-Gavilan says the novel is primarily a fantasy adventure story.
"It is very, very different from HG Wells' novel, which is more sombre and serious. It is a romp, which features French prostitutes and Spanish soldiers - all aboard the time ship," says Ms Molina-Gavilan.

Wells uses the story of a time traveller to explore many of the social themes that obsessed him, such as evolution, class inequality and the relationship between science and society.
And while Gaspar is interested in exploring some social issues, he is never heavy, always "light-handed" says Ms Molina-Gavilan.

A central theme of the book is the quest by one of the protagonists, Don Sindulfo Garcia, to marry his niece Clara, with whom he has fallen in love.
He builds a time machine ostensibly to transport the pair back to a time when more chauvinistic customs would have allowed the union, says Ms Molina-Gavilan.
"His main motive is to go back to a time when women had to do what men wanted them to do," she says. Gaspar makes fun of Don Sindulfo - a rich gentleman scientist.

"Gaspar was basically socially progressive. He didn't like women to be subservient to men."

On their voyages, the characters witness a 19th Century Spanish battle, travel to ancient Rome, alight in 3rd Century China and end up at the moment of Creation itself.

Today, the notion of voyaging across the centuries is no longer consigned purely to the realm of science fiction. Scientists widely debate the possibility of time travel.

In the meantime, time machines continue to feature strongly in popular culture - from Dr Who's Tardis to Hermione Granger's Time-Turner, via the DeLorean car of the Back to the Future trilogy.

"There will always be a human fascination with travelling in time," says Andy Sawyer. "We all desperately find ourselves in situations where we wish we could have made different decisions."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-12900390

Browsing Borges' Book of Fantasy, I came across Max Beerbohm's 1916 story of Enoch Soames. It is a reworking of the Faust legend in which a very minor writer of the 1890s sells his soul to the Devil for a glimpse at the catalogue of the British Museum a century later, when he hopes to be celebrated as a genius.

I wondered, as I read this engrossing and playful fiction, if anyone had been in the Reading Room on that day in June 1997 and was gratified to see in the Wikipedia entry on the story that the magician Teller had written an article in which the fictitious Soames is said to have appeared at the appointed date and hour:

From Wkipedia on Enoch Soames

An article written by Teller, "A Memory of the Nineteen-Nineties" ("Being a faithful account of the events of the designated day, when the man who had disappeared was expected briefly to return"),[2] was published in the November 1997 issue of The Atlantic Monthly. The piece claims to describe actual events, witnessed by Teller and a small group of other people; fans of Beerbohm's story, who had come to the Reading Room on the date specified, in time for Soames' afternoon "visit". According to this account, at 2:10 PM, on the 3rd of June 1997, a person meeting Soames description mysteriously appeared, and began searching through the catalogues and various biographical dictionaries. A few dozen minutes later, he slipped out of sight of the watching crowd, and disappeared among the stacks.

In an October 2012 Esquire magazine article, writer Chris Jones implied that Teller himself had staged this event, although the magician "didn't confess his role. He never has."

Wikipedia quote ends.

Borgesian indeed! :)

The grandfather paradox puzzles me. You go back, kill your progenitor, yada, yada, yada. But, events can only move through space-time at a certain rate, so the 'world' from which you came is unaffected by your grand-patricide. In other words, you don't vanish from existence, because you come from a reality in which you were born. This isn't a parallel universe. There is just a different version of the world with which you're familiar 'following' your world up the timeline..

This is roughly the idea behind Michael Crighton's novel Timeline.

My 13 year old son has a theory about time travel that's pretty interesting, considering he's so young. He believes that traveling physically back in time may be impossible, but that an approximation of it might be created through extracting genetic memory from one's own DNA. It would be an entirely mental phenomena, but it would allow the experiencer to see the world as their great-great (or however many greats) grandfather or grandmother saw it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has he been exposed to the Assassin's Creed games?

He's not supposed to have been. Which isn't to say he hasn't, or that his friends haven't. Does the genetic memory idea figure into the game? He may very well have picked the theory up from his friends.

Has he been exposed to the Assassin's Creed games?

Haha you beat me to it! That is pretty much exactly the plot of the Assassin's Creed games.

The TV show Continuum has some interesting ideas about time travel, plus it's a decent watch. First couple of series' are on Netflix.

... in the series Warehouse 13, they have a time machine invented by lol HG Wells which lets you send your consciousness back in time into the body of a living person, for a while.

I forget what we call the different models of how it might work but they went with the 'Terminator' version where attempts to change the past either fail or become causal in what you were trying to stop.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's very similar to a premise in the series Warehouse 13, they have a time machine invented by lol HG Wells which lets you send your consciousness back in time into the body of a living person, for a while.

I forget what we call the different models of how it might work but they went with the 'Terminator' version where attempts to change the past either fail or become causal in what you were trying to stop.

Reminds me of that Vonnegut short story Unready to Wear. No time travel but stored bodies that the now discorporate mankind can inhabit from time to time.

Another short film .. in the future, time travelling is a medical procedure. A man meets his younger self to try and teach him how to play guitar so he can pull more ladies ... what could go wrong?

I notice the time travel 'doctors' are wearing the John Titor badge.

41: Australian Time Travel film involving many time-loops, paradoxes and the creation of new timelines. Guy goes back in tie to prevent an accident he caused by going in back in time. Meets different versions of himself but he can handle it: hes a philosophy student.

Quirky, worth watching. 6/10.

Full Film:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2319739/

Find some Jack Finney. It's 50's and 60's stuff. It's intriguing and lovable, both his short stories ("The Love Letter" GOT me as an adolescent.) and his novels.

Back