• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Are All Psychics & Fortune Tellers Fakes?

I had no idea he'd died. Interesting that he still had a career after the fraud with a spirit trumpet.
I believe at the time of the trumpet incident he was primarily a physical medium going by the name of Lincoln. I don't know how much difference the change in name and style made to obscuring his dodgy past from newer fans. I knew about it, albeit after I'd seen him as Colin Fry on the telly, so it probably didn't make a lot of difference.

If there are people willing to pay for the services of those who claim to see the other side or whatever, there will always be psychics no matter how often their kind are exposed as frauds. It's a matter of faith over commerce - look at all those Christian evangelical preachers caught in scandals who continued their highly lucrative careers after very public apologies.

Their followers wanted to believe, so they did, they didn't care they were being scammed, their illusions gave them comfort. That's why I have no love for the scammers, but a lot of respect for the scammed, they want some proof of life after death, which is very a human trait. I just think you don't have to hand over your savings to do so.

I met a colleague of mine earlier today, who knows this psychic I mentioned before. Turns out there was one occasion where the psycic did a reading for a woman in Glasgow and told her her husband was having an affair. You can probably guess the rest... :rofl:

At the last Cromer fair, the Mrs encouraged me/us to go into a palm reader's tent .. not one of those ones you see in films with crumbling red and white stripes but a modern open veranda type tent. Between the £5 reading or the £20 full on experience, we chose the £5 one ..

Apparently I've got swirly palms in one bit on one palm which means I am a portal, I've also got to look out for coincidences and ask spirit guides to lead me the right way ..

She seemed sincere enough .. I sort of like the idea of being a Donnie Darko and I do have lots of weird stuff happen to me but then who doesn't ? (apart from people who don't have lots of weird stuff happen to them) ..

I've given it a go, we've both found white feathers in places when and where you might want to find a white feather etc .. we paid her anyway ..

I've been involved with the occult for a very long time and have only ever met one person who had what you would call psychic ability. And that was the old friend of mine who I wrote about in the other psychic thread on one of the other sections of the forum. As for TV psychics Eddie Burks was the only one who convinced me of his ability through seeing him in the 90s Discovery Channel series Ghosthunters. I often meet people who make claims about their psychical powers but other than the one case mentioned before, I have never witnessed any demonstrations to make me believe them.

Last edited:
Oh, I know someone who is quite a good psychic - which is amazing, considering that he's annoying and utterly self-absorbed. :p But he is good. He can't foretell his own future, though, only for other people.

I went to an event at a pub 15 years ago, there was a psychic there - an ex policeman he told us - and at a point he focussed on me, mentioned me being jack the lad, something about motorbikes, football etc. Well, I didn't want to embarrass him (or myself) so I just nodded but the truth is, I think he was just trying to read me based on my appearance - skin head, tattoos etc. I am not jack the lad, I didn't drink, (still don't), hate football and do not drive or ride a motorbike.

I believe some of them see / hear things or somehow pick up information (others are just cold reading) but my issue is, are their sources of info reliable, with good intentions or are they entities with access to some information but with ulterior motives....

There are some good mediums, my sister recently had quite an accurate reading and I've seen a few good ones.
With regards to mediums in a paranormal group in my opinion they don't bring anything to a vigil and tend to make things up. A lot of mediums resort to cold reading.

I sometimes go to a mediumship meeting and development circle locally, mainly to just get out of the house as there isn't much to do in this town. While I have to admit there is probably some cold reading, or at least the speaker and person having the reading sometimes feed off each other, there are far too many specific things come up for it to be guesswork, not one of the spirits match anyone I have lost so it isn't all generic. The meeting is free and the development circle is £2 so no one is making big money!

I sometimes go to a mediumship meeting and development circle locally, mainly to just get out of the house as there isn't much to do in this town. While I have to admit there is probably some cold reading, or at least the speaker and person having the reading sometimes feed off each other, there are far too many specific things come up for it to be guesswork, not one of the spirits match anyone I have lost so it isn't all generic. The meeting is free and the development circle is £2 so no one is making big money!

But what are you learning? Are you paying money for something you already know?

But what are you learning? Are you paying money for something you already know?
I suppose I'm paying for the experience, initially I was only going along because they needed extra people to be 'guinea pigs' for developing mediums but the man running it can coach total beginners through a reading (not me, I just don't feel it is something I have a talent for). The teaching often involves steering people away from guessing, asking leading questions or being vague.

I suppose I'm paying for the experience, initially I was only going along because they needed extra people to be 'guinea pigs' for developing mediums but the man running it can coach total beginners through a reading (not me, I just don't feel it is something I have a talent for). The teaching often involves steering people away from guessing, asking leading questions or being vague.

Hmmm. He can teach total beginners to be psychic mediums eh?
Seems to me like he's coaching them how not to be easily caught out.
Still, communicating with the dead is a living isn't it?

Well, I'm with Marion on this one.
£2 is a small price to pay for an interesting evening, whether or not she emerges as as a fully fledged medium.

Yeah, £2 is a cheap evening of entertainment and it gets you out of the house. Win-win!

Exactly :D I don't actually believe in life after death. I do believe humans have psychic abilities including the ability to pick up future events though so that is why I find it interesting.

I think the very best psychics and fortune-tellers have a skill that others enjoy.

So that's fair enough. Not for me to judge.

The psychic I met in 1999 told me, amongst other stuff, that I had always dreamt of learning to fly and that I had just removed a sidecar from a bike, neither point could he have guessed at. I made the mistake of dismissing what he told me at a subsequent reading and it lead to one of the biggest tragedies of my life. Will never have another reading - I think some things are better not known.

I occassionally attend a Christian Spiritualist church, and whatever the people who do the mediumship do it for, it certainly isn't money or fame. Last autimn in Kent, I was staying at an address almost opposite the Canterbury church and attended on Sunday. I was completely unknown there, no local connections or baggage, and was open-minded about it all - as you should be. The medium leading the service came to me and described the guy who'd taught me Spanish at school. He'd been an aloof, unapproachable, older guy with a physical resemblence to the late Aleistar Crowley, with all that implies. Also my form master for three years - definitely not the right personality for pastoral care of pupils. I think in his way he'd tried to be a competent teacher, but by then in his sixties, somebody who in all rpobability had started teaching in the 1940's and whose social attitudes hadn't moved on much... and definitely burnt out as a teacher, poor old sod. Although "burnt out" wasn't recognised as such in the 1970's, nor was "pastoral care" to pupils who were struggling a bit. Teacher or pupil, you sank or you swam.

The medium made very specific reference to a punishment involving whipping somebody on the soles of the feet. Now not even in a fairly stern school in the 1970's would that have been done. But Mr McDonald used to gleefully describe the "bastinado" as the Spanish equivalent of birching an offender - the capital punishment upgrade being "garroting", slow strangulation with a thin noose - and that he'd seen this done in the thirties. (School rumour was that like many another idealistic Brit, he'd gone off to fight in the Spanish Civil War for a cause he truly believed in. But Franco had been too much of a pinko liberal, so he came back again.)

Apparently this former teacher now had the post-mortem task of going round all the pupils he'd been a poor or indifferent teacher and pastoral guide to, and apologising for all the things he'd done that he shouldn't have done, and the things he should have done but didn't. In my case that he should have realised I was struggling and needed more help than I'd received and that he'd mismanaged my case badly and could have made things easier - helped me to achieve what he now recognised was a greater potential than the school had suceeded in bringing out, that I'd done amazing things from the starting point life had given me, and that he regretted not being more effective in helping me acheive more. That it wasn't too late to really do things, and so on, and not to give up.

All very ego-affirming. The medium said the "bastinado" example had been given to enable me to identify the person involved and that this former teacher had made contact with me before - I do recall he's popped up in my dreamworld in various contexts.

oddly enough, I saw the medium wearing a heavy wound dressing on his left hand, indicating he was going to damage his thumb pretty badly. looked again, there wasn't a bandage there. Odd two-way thing going on. I did say afterwards I'd seen this. Wonder if he did damage his hand later...

An odd experience. Detailed and xomehow had a ring of truth to it. And not in a context of forking over outrageous amounts of cash to a possible fraud. Thought-provoking too. I wonder how many people I'll have to apologise to after I go...

Amazingly unusual story and as you say very thought provoking. One or two apologies I will have to make when I've gone. On the other hand one or two people to whom I would like to do the opposite .

Amazingly unusual story and as you say very thought provoking. One or two apologies I will have to make when I've gone. On the other hand one or two people to whom I would like to do the opposite .

I'm planning to ghost-moon everyone who's upset me, once I've gone.

Edit: Come to think of it, may not wait that long.

Last edited:
Hence the hopefully timely like.
There was an amply proportioned lady at work we could see through the office window.
Whenever she bent over Alf used to say theyd had an eclipse in Argentina.

Interesting article in today's Guardian. Is this sort of thing one step away from being psychic? The "empaths" do not claim to be channelling dead people - they just seem extraordinarily good at picking up subtle cues, NVC, et c, from living ones. I'm wondering if this might go some way to explaining apparent psychic communication with dead people - that in some cases it's not the "other side" they're tuning into, but some sort of energy with the living people around them....

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/jun/24/superpower-empaths-paid-read-mind-empathy

Interesting article in today's Guardian. Is this sort of thing one step away from being psychic? The "empaths" do not claim to be channelling dead people - they just seem extraordinarily good at picking up subtle cues, NVC, et c, from living ones. I'm wondering if this might go some way to explaining apparent psychic communication with dead people - that in some cases it's not the "other side" they're tuning into, but some sort of energy with the living people around them....

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/jun/24/superpower-empaths-paid-read-mind-empathy
Hm. 'Cool' name and a technique that's 'very like' cold reading.

I think there are those who are very good at picking up cues, but that article didn't sell me on it's subject.

was on a haunted house stay with ghostcallers couple years ago, one of their guys referred to himself as an empath, when i asked him what it was and how he knew, he basically described himself as sensitive, and had seemingly decided thats what he was going to call himself ...

gimme shirley ghostman any day

Back