• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Family Find Baked Snake With Their Pizza

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Family cooking a frozen pizza are shocked to find a baked snake in their oven after it started 'smoking and smelling terrible'

Source: Daily Mail online
Date: 3 January, 2020

North Carolina family's plans for dinner were ruined when they made a frozen pizza and found a cooked snake inside their oven.

Amber Helm and her husband Robert said they preheated the oven inside their Wake Forest home with a frozen pizza dinner in mind on Monday night.

She said the oven started 'smoking and smelling terrible' about 10 minutes into cooking.

The mother-of-two said she wasn't ready for the skin-crawling surprise inside.

She told WRAL: 'The oven started smoking and I told my boys "back up" so I can make sure a fire or anything didn't happen.'

'I looked closely and was like "Oh my God! That's a friggin' snake!'''

Spooked by the unannounced guest in their kitchen, Amber took her two boys, aged one and three, out for dinner.

'We did not eat the pizza. I hear a lot of people asking the question. "Did we eat the pizza?" No,' Amber said.

Meanwhile, Robert stayed behind to deal with the snake left crisped in the oven.

dailymail-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7848795/amp/Family-cooking-frozen-pizza-shocked-baked-snake-oven.html?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQCKAE=#referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare= ...dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7848795/amp/Family-cooking-frozen-pizza-shocked-baked-snake-oven.html#referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s

No more indirect links through intermediaries, please ... Here's a direct link to the Daily Mail article:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ng-frozen-pizza-shocked-baked-snake-oven.html

Last edited by a moderator:
... Free scran, is it not? :dinner:

Tastes like chicken! :hunger: (Seriously - it really does ...)

My guess is that the snake was already lurking in the kitchen, and it slithered (via the double wall construction and vent holes) into the oven - lured there by the warmth of the preheating cycle.

Awww poor little thing, and it doesn't look like it came with the pizza as you would have seen that, if they come in a clear wrapper like ours do from the frozen section, or fresh
Maybe they thought it was a very big anchovy

I can confirm snake tastes like chicken, I tried some in a Florida restaurant .. and frogs legs are quite a lot like chicken.

I can confirm it, too - from first-hand experiences camping and a field trip associated with a wilderness survival class. A flakier texture, but otherwise like chicken.

I also agree about the frog's legs.

Of the two, the snake I've eaten tasted more like chicken than the frog's legs did.

Tastes like chicken! :hunger: (Seriously - it really does ...)

My guess is that the snake was already lurking in the kitchen, and it slithered (via the double wall construction and vent holes) into the oven - lured there by the warmth of the preheating cycle.
Tastes like chicken...

Must confess, I did look up some recipe info and that's what they all say as well!

Agree with your suggestion how the snake got in there...

"Hello... this looks toasty warm.... maybe getting just a bit too hot though...".

I once heated up my new oven to make pizza. I didn't realize they had left the manual inside it.
Did the manual taste like chicken? ..

.. that time my best mate at school accidentally saved our entire recorded family history ..

I'll keep it brief .. he'd sometimes come back from school with me to my house instead and we'd fire up the closed lid barbeque .. except this time he lifted the lid first .. my Grandma had left two albums with vintage photos of all my ancestors and notes, stories etc .. so thanks to him, we didn't barbeque my entire recorded family history.

A friend's sister baked an inadvertent rat pizza years ago. Horrifying, and the burnt hair smell must have been, well, horrifying. But I guess a good outcome is that for all these years after I check my oven for creatures before I bake.
How does a rat get into an oven? I can understand a snake, but not a rat.

I wonder how it got in there?
Evidently not an isolated occurrence... :oops:

Snake Catchers Adelaide remove a large eastern brown snake from a stove

Source: ABC News Australia
Date: 3 October, 2019

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-03/large-brown-snake-found-in-an-oven/11570260
I would submit that any story about potentially dangerous wildlife encroaching on an Australian home does not equate with similar stories from the U.S., no matter how rural the U.S. address may be.

If of interest, a tale from the UK - Stockpot, October 2018.

Woman finds 3ft-long snake inside her oven as she cooks chips

A woman cooking chips got the shock of her life - from a huge snake lurking inside the oven.

She slammed the oven door shut and called the RSPCA, who sent out an inspector to rescue the reptile.

It was a non-venomous African brown house snake, measuring at least three feet long.

The 82-year-old woman had opened the oven door to pop in her chips when she spotted the snake - later named Sammy by the RSPCA.

https://www-manchestereveningnews-c...3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s

They should stick to the soup!

My own second-worst pizza mistake was heating* one from the supermarket, with the polystyrene base undetected beneath the crust. The aroma was more of a give-away than the taste might have been!

*The worst was buying one from the supermarket in the first place! :hungo:

I can confirm it, too - from first-hand experiences camping and a field trip associated with a wilderness survival class. A flakier texture, but otherwise like chicken.

I also agree about the frog's legs.

Of the two, the snake I've eaten tasted more like chicken than the frog's legs did.

I agree. Ate some snake (cobra) in Thailand once, it was curried so I didn't get to experience its true taste but it was chicken like. Frog's legs are delicious, particularly with garlic butter.

Back