• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Buzzing Misty Entity At Helen's Bay Beach

Quercus

Devoted Cultist
One evening around October 2001, I’d stayed late visiting some friends in the Donegall Road area of Belfast, Northern Ireland. I’d let time get away from me, and had half-forgotten that I’d promised to phone my girlfriend, who was at university in England. It was well after midnight - and probably nearer one o’clock in the morning - when I finished my coffee, left my friends’ house, and got into my little blue Ford Fiesta to drive the twelve miles or so home to Bangor.

As I made to start the car, my mobile phone beeped, and I realised a number of unread text messages from my girlfriend had just come through. Back in the early 2000s, mobile networks weren’t great and Belfast had a number of areas where phone reception could be patchy. This part of South Belfast was one of them. The messages began cheerfully enough by asking when I was going to call, and became more annoyed and finally despondent as the hours had passed without any reply from me.

Angry with myself at being so slack, I quickly rang my girlfriend’s number – and, having now woken her up, my garbled apologies and feeble excuses didn’t go down too well. She was having a tough time adjusting to university life, and I’d really hurt her by breaking my promise to call. We ended up getting into an argument, and by the time I hung up I felt wretched and consumed with self-loathing. I fired up my car, alone on the dark street, and began the drive home.

I was a mess of emotions, and as I hammered along the empty dual carriageway towards Bangor I realised I didn’t want to go straight home. On an impulse, I pulled off the main road and headed towards Helen’s Bay, a small coastal village where the two of us had often gone together to walk along the beach. I had happy feelings about the place; right then I felt like I needed to recapture some positive emotions.

Because it was late and there was no-one around, I parked up on double yellow lines on the Grey Point Road, right beside a cut-through path that led down to the beach. It was a calm night, overcast but dry, and not too cold for mid-autumn. The path down to the beach was lit by a sodium arc streetlight, so it wasn’t that hard to see. I kicked moodily across the dark sand, stood for a while by the water’s edge glaring at the lights on the loughshore opposite, and ended up slumped on a wooden bench about halfway around the bay, still eaten up with guilt and remorse.

I’d probably sat there for around half an hour, reading through the texts from earlier, my thoughts becoming darker and darker. Suddenly I became aware of a peculiar buzzing noise coming from further along the beach path, towards the woods. It was soft, and the pitch oscillated slightly – more like an insect in flight than something mechanical like a motor. But it was growing louder, like it was coming closer.

I peered along the path, into the darkness. It was long past two o’clock in the morning, very quiet, and I’d seen no-one at all since parking the car. The odd noise jolted me out of my thoughts, making me alert but not yet alarmed.

Then, as the buzzing noise intensified, I made out what appeared to be a small, white cloud, maybe two feet across, coming out of the darkness. It was drifting slowly at head height along the path towards me, and appeared to be the source of the buzzing noise.

I stood up, becoming rather more alarmed at this point. I had never seen anything like this before, and although I didn’t exactly feel in any immediate danger, I wasn’t sure what might happen next.

I began to walk quickly back towards the car, looking over my shoulder as I did so. The white cloud was still visible, coming closer to the bench where I’d just been sitting, while the buzzing, pulsing noise seemed to be getting louder.

I broke into a run, feeling ridiculous as I did so but the rising panic in my chest spurred me on. I glanced backwards, now unable to see the cloud but still hearing the buzzing noise, which now seemed to be coming from all around me. A weird phrase kept repeating through my mind, over and over again – ‘it’s not human and it never was’.

At the top of the path, just beside my car, I stopped at a pair of bollards and wheeled round, to face the direction I’d just come. The buzzing noise had faded into the distance as I ran, but now was building in intensity again.

I’d never done this before, but as I stood there at the top of the path, I made the sign of the cross with my two index fingers and aimed it down the path towards the buzzing noise. At the time, I was attending a Pentecostal-style church; while the existence of things like demons and spirits were not emphasized, they were however acknowledged. Tonight, I felt that calling on the Divine might somehow help to stop whatever-this-was.

There was no visible cloud to be seen, under the streetlight’s glow, but the weird oscillating buzz remained. I felt that the entity was still there, and close by. I was muttering under my breath at it, saying stuff along the lines of “You just stay there,” and “Don’t come any closer, in Jesus’ name.”

I still couldn’t see anything, but I had the feeling that the entity had stopped about ten yards away from me. I could still hear the buzzing, but it seemed to be getting softer – not further away, just softer.

My nerve broke, and I rushed round to the driver’s side of my car and leapt in. I fired up the little Ford, and tore off at speed back along the road towards Helen’s Bay village, trying to make sense of what had just happened.

I passed through the quiet of the village, under a railway bridge, and past a country park before turning left into Crawfordsburn village, another settlement outside Bangor. As I drove past a darkened filling station, I suddenly heard the same low buzz start up again, quieter now – but this time, inside the car with me.

Without taking time to think, I pulled over in the main street and jumped out, leaving the door wide open. I lifted the tailgate and pulled open the passenger door, then commanded whatever-it-was to get out of the car and leave me alone. After a few moments, the buzzing noise gradually faded out. I stood there in the empty village street, feeling pretty stupid but unsure of whether or not it had actually gone. Eventually, as a couple more minutes passed, I got a ‘lifting’ sense that the entity had now fully departed. Still feeling a bit shocked, I closed up the car doors, and drove on home without any further incident.

Although this wasn’t the only experience I’ve ever had, it was the only one quite like this. I have no explanation for what I heard and saw; my rational mind says that it couldn’t have happened like that, but I recall the whole incident very clearly. Maybe it was all in my head, but if so it involved a number of phases over a span of about ten minutes.

If I had to throw out a theory, ignoring the fact it goes against all rational thought, I’d say that somehow my very negative feelings as I sat there in that lonely spot seemed to attract something from the woods that wanted… well, I don’t know what it wanted. To feed on these negative emotions? To attach itself on to me? Worse? I don’t know.

In recent years, I’ve heard a few stories about strange occurrences reported in the adjoining Crawfordsburn Country Park, but nothing like what I experienced. Despite everything, I didn’t feel that the entity was actively evil, just out and about doing its thing. But I was in the wrong place at the wrong time, and it was enough to frighten me quite a lot.

Regardless, after that night I stopped hanging around isolated spots by myself late on. I have no particular desire for such an experience again.

If I had to throw out a theory, ignoring the fact it goes against all rational thought, I’d say that somehow my very negative feelings as I sat there in that lonely spot seemed to attract something from the woods that wanted… well, I don’t know what it wanted. To feed on these negative emotions?
Thanks for posting the story! Your theory is as good as any, and one I'm inclined to believe. There are so many entity encounters, poltergeist outbreaks etc. that seem to be the result of negative emotions providing a feeding ground for... something...

Another great story, Quercus.

I note that on the other side of the golf course from Grey Point there is a road named Chimera Wood - which really sounds like it should be the title of a spooky Netflix series. (I'll admit I was looking for any electrical substations in the area, which can buzz in a quite disconcerting way, especially if you don't know they are there.)

It looks like it serves an area of relatively new housing, and, on reflection, it seems a very odd name for a modern development (although there could of course be a much older road by that name). I wonder if there's a story connected to the wood - which I think might be the one you describe the sounds coming towards you from.

Helen-s-Bay-N-Ireland-Fortean-01.jpg

Helen's Bay (Grey Point Road at lower left).

maximus otter

Then, as the buzzing noise intensified, I made out what appeared to be a small, white cloud, maybe two feet across, coming out of the darkness. It was drifting slowly at head height along the path towards me, and appeared to be the source of the buzzing noise.

Looking for a rational explanation, have you considered and eliminated the possibility of a swarm of mosquitoes?

Midges.

HOW DO YOU PROTECT YOURSELF FROM THE MIDGES?
The Midge is a rather playful mosquito… It is only found during the tourist period, between May/June and September/October… So much for when tourists are out to explore Ireland!

Helen-s-Bay-N-Ireland-Fortean-01.jpg

Helen's Bay (Grey Point Road at lower left).

maximus otter

Yes, that's the very spot - thanks for looking that up.

The cut-through is marked on the map as a footpath, between the two uppermost houses on the left hand side of the image.

The bench was about halfway along the path behind the sand, with its back to the golf course.

The buzzing cloud, for want of a better descriptor, came from the path leading from the woods on the right hand side.

Visuals definitely help, it's true! I might try a different browser, it's not the first time I've had difficulty with attachments on forums using Firefox.

Another great story, Quercus.

I note that on the other side of the golf course from Grey Point there is a road named Chimera Wood - which really sounds like it should be the title of a spooky Netflix series. (I'll admit I was looking for any electrical substations in the area, which can buzz in a quite disconcerting way, especially if you don't know they are there.)

It looks like it serves an area of relatively new housing, and, on reflection, it seems a very odd name for a modern development (although there could of course be a much older road by that name). I wonder if there's a story connected to the wood - which I think might be the one you describe the sounds coming towards you from.

Hey, thanks for that - and Chimera Wood came as a bit of a jolt to me there!

That is indeed the wooded area from which the cloudy shape came, but I had no idea that the housing development beyond Golf Road had such a name.

It looks to be a 1990s development, going by the development of planted trees in gardens (based on Street View images from 2008) ; so I'm sure it was there at the time of my experience. I've never been down there - it's a cul-de-sac - but that odd name does add a certain frisson...

I know the coastal path at Helen's Bay reasonably well as I'd lived near there all my life at that time; and I'm not aware of any electricity infrastructure in the immediate vicinity. But that's a very valid theory, and one which makes sense to check out. There was a substation round the corner from where I grew up, so I know the kind of low humming noise you're referring to - but from my recall, the station produced a fairly quiet monotone hum, whereas this one kept shifting up and down in pitch ever so slightly, and increased substantially in volume as the cloud came closer, before peaking and ebbing a number of times.

Yeah, I'd deffo watch Chimera Wood on Netflix! Since Helen's Bay is considered an immensely snobby area, I wonder what the residents make of their street name?

Haven't we got a story on the boards somewhere about Panic in the Woods, which consists of someone hearing a buzzing and being overcome with panic?

Thanks for finding that - some very interesting accounts there. And that puts me in mind of a further two incidents that probably bear telling...

Looking for a rational explanation, have you considered and eliminated the possibility of a swarm of mosquitoes?

Thanks for providing another valid point to consider! That's not one that had occurred to me, though as I stated the sound was a bit like insects, you'd think I would... after a bit of thought, I'd have to say it probably wasn't that, for the following reasons:
  • the 'cloud', for want of a better word, looked like a misty sort of mass, about two feet in diameter. But there appeared to be no movement within the cloud - it didn't seem to be composed of a large number of individual components moving in close formation. I'm familiar with large clumps of 'midges' (gnats - all mosquito family) in summer months, gathering over woodland paths in the local area. However, this didn't look like that at all.
  • From living in Australia and spending a fair amount of time in warmer parts of Europe, I'm accustomed to 'mozzies' and their distinctive high-pitched whine when in flight, including very large numbers of them accumulated above a body of water. This encounter didn't sound like that at all - the noise I heard was much, much lower in pitch, more like a bumblebee heard from a distance.
  • At the point when the noise became loudest, at the bollards by the top of the path, I couldn't see the cloud anymore. With a streetlight nearby, a dense cloud of insects should have been clearly visible.
  • By late October in a coastal area of Northern Ireland, I would have expected any of the mosquito family to have either died off or entered diapause for the colder months - though, admittedly, I'm no entomologist. But such a large number of insects beside the shoreline at any time of year would be highly unusual, and not something I've ever observed.
  • Lastly, at the point the humming/buzzing started up again a few miles down the road, I could see absolutely no insects, either in the car or outside it. When I stopped on a well-lit street and opened all the doors, nothing flew out that I could see. The noise didn't seem to move away from me directionally; it just faded out to nothing.
But that's absolutely a possibility worth exploring, so cheers for that!

It's maybe also worth mentioning that while the light levels were low, my eyes had adjusted fairly well to the darkness. It was overcast, and there was a fair amount of light spill coming from the village itself and from the bigger town a few miles to the east. My mobile phone was a late 1990s Motorola, displaying a single line of dim black-on-green characters like a calculator, so there was no retina-burning smartphone screen to screw up my night vision.

Most likely a drone in flight. It happened to me too and that's what it turned out to be.

Twenty years ago? (Edit: To clarify - I'm sure that drones of the type we recognise as such these days were in the development stage somewhere - but they weren't commercially available in the way that makes them ubiquitous these days.)

I Know what you mean about the sound, though - I couldn't work out what the a odd noise was the other night, then realised it was my neighbour testing out his new drone. Indoors! At 02.00! Still, I suppose it saves the idle git having to get off his sofa.

Last edited:
I think a midge has to be practically landing on your ear for it to be heard, if I remember the last time I was served up on a plate for them... it was a few years ago though.

Yes, with midges it seems that they're virtually silent unless right up against your ear. We used to have clumps of them at the bottom of the garden on summer evenings - quite pretty to watch in the sunset, but I don't remember them ever making much noise.

I live near a reservoir and there are clouds of these things pestering walkers. They usually swarm at head height and do make a humming noise.

Ah, interesting - while I've encountered plenty of clouds of midges near reservoirs, I've never really been aware of any humming noise. But certainly, at night it may be more noticeable due to lack of distant traffic, birdsong etc.

Generally though, while I've seen large amounts of insects hovering over standing freshwater like lakes and reservoirs, I've never before (or after) seen swarms of flying bugs down on the seashore, at any time of the day or night.

While I'm not ruling anything out, I'm still not sure how insects would have then created the hum when it started up again in the car, a few miles away (to my mind, that's the oddest part of the whole story).

Most likely a drone in flight. It happened to me too and that's what it turned out to be.

It's worth suggesting, and thanks for that - though I don't recall aerial drones being a thing 20 years ago, and what I saw looked very much to me like a small white cloud or patch of dense mist. The electrical motors of the drones I'm now familiar with are much higher pitched and more 'frantic' than what I recall hearing that night.

Again, there's the problem of the noise starting up again inside the car some miles after leaving the scene... but hey, I've no idea what occurred that night so I appreciate any possible explanations.

Agreed, there's a hum to be heard in the video taken inside the shed - a lot higher in pitch than what I heard, but certainly audible, yes.

I'm not quite sure that hum would have been audible from about 20-30 yards away, which is about where the cloud was at the first point of visual contact - although admittedly sandflies aren't a specific species, so I guess that can vary.

I should maybe clarify that while many counties in the world do of course have large numbers of insects by the shoreline, this hasn't been my experience in this specific local area over forty-odd years. In my late teens/early 20s I regularly spent time chatting with friends on this beach and others nearby at night, sometimes right through until dawn, and had never really observed insects in any numbers. That's probably why it hadn't occurred to me that insects might be involved here.

But, it's worth ruling nothing out - thanks for the link!

Can midges be warded off with a crucifix? That’s definitely something we need to establish.

ALL midges are satanic. There you are, walking along at dusk by the most beautiful stretch of water, taking in the scenery - the next minute you can't see, they are in your hair, down your neck, in your ears, and biting!

Next day is almost worse, when you can't brush your hair for the sore lumps, and you're minus several pints of blood. Nothing good could ever have that effect...

Back