• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Witches' Broomstick & Pointed Hat Stereotypes: Origins?

A

Anonymous

Apologies if this has previously been covered, but does anyone know why witches traditionally ride on broomsticks? Where does the standard pointy hat originate from (does it share some sort of origin with the Inquisition's choice of headgear for themselves and their witchy victims?)?

Well, here's some info that I've read which covers both points:

Witches' flying ointment - a mixture of alkaloids and other hallucinitory ingredients - was applied to a delicate area of the female anatomy via the handle of a broom. Easily absorbed, it gave the impression to the 'user' that she was flying - to the onlooker, she was 'riding' a broom.

The image of Witches in black pointy hats seems to stem from around the time when a Welsh lady was accused and a woodcut made of her in traditional Welsh dress, which often has a blunted black conical sort of hat. Or....the conical shape could represent the 'Cone of Power' that Witches raise during rituals.

No idea how true any of those are, personally many Witches I know use a broom or Besom to cleanse the ritual space before casting a circle - could be from that, historically.

I think the conical hat was adopted as a folklorish depiction of a Witch in Europe from some sensationalised anti-witch image, but I guess we'll never really know the truth.

im no expert, but I heard (and this may be completly wrong, and if so I apolgise) that it is something to do with the putting a hallucogen (sp) into a certain area.
Apparently they used to fly brush end first if you catch my drift.

Ill stand here waiting to be corrected though.

Some one agrees with me!
I must learn to type faster though.

Witches were originally perceived as rather comely wenches. There's a lovely woodcut in one of my books of three rather curvy winsome witches beguiling some poor sap dated about 1550. It probably suited the public imagination more to have them become hideous old women with warts and stringy hair, I believe victorian book illustrators played a part in this.

Lilith Veritas (any relation?) on the 'Pointy Hat Look':

"...Gary Jensen, a professor of sociology at Vanderbilt University, postulates a connection between the persecution of Quakers in America and the stereotypical appearance of witches in our folklore. Quakers did wear pointed hats, and the negative image of witches wearing conical hats in America became common about the same time anti-Quaker sentiment was at a peak. Quakers were thought by some to consort with demons and practice black magic, things also associated with the early American view of witches. Once again, an easily recognized symbol of an oppressed minority may have become generalized to a group equated with them".

http://www.widdershins.org/vol6iss8/oestara01.07.html

don't know though ... I mean how much of this is 'true' or actually from reputable verifiable sources ... ?

On one level we have the popular image of witch in pointy black hat with broomstick, then on the next level there's received wisdom like the broomstick thing comes from the application of hallucinogenic flying ointment .... but how do we know this? What's the source, and how reliable is the source? I've heard it too ... but where does it come from?

You have to look at who is making these sort of claims and what their agenda is etc before you accept them as fact imho .... how long for example before someone mentions that broomsticks are traditionally pictured the wrong way up, which information they have unfortunately subliminally absorbed from Kevin king-of-a-dunghill Carolyn trying to cash in on the popularity of the Harry Potter books a couple of years ago in his usual inimicable self-promoting style.

I would imagine that most of the popularly held notions about witches come from the witch hunts and trials of the 16th and 17th century (some documentation here for example, including some primary sources http://history.hanover.edu/early/wh.html ) when all sorts of sordid and presumably completely fabricated details of the perversions practiced by witches were recorded. A lot also probably come from fiction ... fairy tales and children's films ... although perhaps not the flying ointment thing in the latter heh heh.

And the site listed by ringwraith is all very well, but all that derivation of the word wicca and stuff about athemes etc is all very Wicca, which is a turn of the century concoction at best and devised by occultists to boot, who notoriously take all sorts of liberties with historical material (amongst other things, which is why it's such fun being one!). In Old English as far as I know wicce meant .. well .. witch.

/edit/ that site seems a bit better Happyotter ... it's a shame those links at the bottom don't work.

I agree with lizard23 - alot of what's claimed about these sorts of things seem to lack any real point of actual reference. Other information was gleaned from 'confessions' from alleged witches. Even the use of herbs for 'flying' isn't actually a known point of fact. The underlying picture is that there was some pattern of method used by 'witches' - which in turn suggests that there was some underlying system of rules for such things. Some people have worked from these assumptions before and this has given rise to all sorts unfounded beliefs about what went on. This is probably one of the reasons why some lay claim to there being an old religion underlying tales of witches and witchcraft, etc. - altho' the actual evidence for this is very lacking.

This (hideous looking) website goes into a bit more botanical and historical analysis of the hallucinogen theory:

http://www.dhushara.com/book/twelve/tw4.htm

(although I think a few interpretable liberties have been taken with the picture of the 'witch preparing herself with a broomstick')

Hello,

Don't know if this is factual or not, but I've been told since childhood that:

A) Witches hats are pointy because in the olden days Witches carried more respect than they do now, and the hats were much like a Wizards cap-a sort of signification of their lofty position.
and.,
B) The broomstick thing originally stemmed from Witches bewitching an inanimate object for travelling purposes and the broom was originally (if you look at old woodcuts, or visit a museum) were much thicker and wider than todays brooms and were easily ridden.

The tales that follow afterward are all bull and disinformation, seeing as originally witches were modest virgins who believed virginity made their powers stronger, so you wouldn't catch them sticking ointments and broomsticks up their privates. A MAN definitely made that crap up!

WW

I'm not sure about the pointy hat being such a standard item for witches to have.
I think it might be a rather recent addition to the witches' traditional image.
Around here, witches were and are usually depicted as old hags or buxom young women, wearing some kind of scarf on their head, or with their hair hanging loose.
I've never come across any older artwork showing witches with hats, apart from the rather recent, Halloween-influenced ones (Halloween isn't a traditional holiday around here, though). Check out medieval artwork and illustrations, or stuff done by Hans Baldung Grien, Albrecht Duerer, and so on. Most of these older pictures of witches are influenced by the Malleus Maleficarum though, so basically they're all about witches being a bunch of satan-worshipping evil-doing women.
The Malleus Maleficarum also mentions the witches' ability to fly, either bodily or in their imagination - by means of a "flying ointment" given to them by the devil.
Medieval witches didn't only ride on broomsticks, they also used pitchforks, shovels, plain wooden sticks and other vaguely stick-like objects to fly. Sometimes they even rode on black goats, or the occasional bewitched human being (hence the word "hag-ridden").
Apart from being an obvious Freudian symbol (and therefore satanic and evil), I think the stick or broomstick originally was something more like a wizard's staff or a wand, a device used for working magic.

The flying ointment stories are even older than the Middle Ages, though. As far as I know, even Ovid, Horaz and Petronius mention such magical salves.
In a romance by Lucius Apuleius (c.124-c.170), the narrator tells us about a witch using such a salve to change into a bird:
And when midnight came she led me softly into a high chamber, and bid me look throw the chink of a doore: where first I saw how shee put of all her garments, and tooke out of a certain coffer sundry kindes of Boxes, of the which she opened one, and tempered the ointment therein with her fingers, and then rubbed her body therewith from the sole of the foot to the crowne of the head, and when she had spoken privily with her selfe, having the candle in her hand, she shaked the parts of her body, and behold, I perceived a plume of feathers did burgen out, her nose waxed crooked and hard, her nailes turned into clawes, and so she became an Owle. Then she cried and screeched like a Bird of that kinde, and willing to proove her force, mooved her selfe from the ground by little and little, til at last she flew quite away.

The medieval flying ointment recipes as researched by various 16th century witch-hunters, alchemists and scholars, usually include all kinds of (sometimes rather gory) ingredients, like baby fat, or animal blood. Most of these ingredients were inert though, people just thought they were magical in some way.
But there also were intoxicating substances, hallucinogens and aphrodisiacs, such as opium, cannabis, datura, spanish fly, belladonna, mandragora, hemlock, and so on.

Still there is no real proof that the medieval witches really used any such salves and ointments. None of the 16th century recipes are from actual witches, they've all been put together by various scholars who researched this special aspect of witchcraft.

I suppose the big problem is that the witches were similar to say the druids or celts in that they never actually wrote anything down, and the only apparent info that we have on them came from contemporary observers who may have had their own agenda.

I'm sceptical about some of the substances that witches were claimed to use, Belladonna, Mandragora and Aconite for example are all extremely toxic, there's a very fine line between their psychoactive dose and their lethal dose. I'm not convinced that you could have safely mixed them together with no idea about how strong the resulting preparation was going to be.

BlackRiverFalls said:
I suppose the big problem is that the witches were similar to say the druids or celts in that they never actually wrote anything down, and the only apparent info that we have on them came from contemporary observers who may have had their own agenda.

That's if there were actually any witches in the first place. What we may be looking out is some odd pencil sketch of beliefs from the Middle Ages. How much they're based on anything real is another matter.

Hello,

The lore of the Witch spans to the time of the great fall when one fallen angel (can't remember his name) taught women magic. From there many women became powerful and were important to many communities because they were almost shamanistic sorcerers. They healed the sick among other things and noone feared them or persecuted them because that was the way of life back then. And then as time progressed and the old ways became nothing more than forgotten tales of forgotten lands, the Witch lore took a wicked turn.
This is the SAME exact thing that happened to the Faery lore. Originally faeries and elves were human-sized and then as people migrated and time progressed, all of a sudden they were cute little pixie-like people with wings, when originally they were wicked, almost demonic troublemakers.
And the same thing happened to the Vampyre lore, the Werewolf lore.
You name the monster, what we know now is nothing compared to the original premise of any of these creatures.
We grew up believing witches were green with pointy noses and black cats. Hell- we still believe in the Pepsi Cola Santa Clause in his red suit, with jolly jowls and a pepsi in his hand.
Our ancestors came here (America) and lost all trace of the old stories and tales that came before them, so everything is convoluted.
Especially the tale of the Witch.

WW

WonderWoman said:
The lore of the Witch spans to the time of the great fall when one fallen angel (can't remember his name) taught women magic.
I suppose your Granny told you that one?

I don't know if that was meant to be sarcastic or what, but NO, she didn't. It's actually from two books. One is titled simply HELL and it is a pocket sized book with old artwork prints and a summary of beliefs and a background on certain lore. The other is a book called DEMONOLOGY and the Authors name eludes me now, but he is a Doctor of philosophy.
Look it up for yourself.

WW

Seems like an odd premise to me.

WRT fairy lore, their change into gossamer-winged niceness is fairly recent. On the whole, folklorically speaking, they're still not particularly nice (according to the stories).

WonderWoman said:
I don't know if that was meant to be sarcastic or what, but NO, she didn't.
Heaven forbid! :rolleyes:

And there was me thinking that the term, "witch" started out as a term of abuse, something to accuse others of being.

Whether it's actually derived from the Anglo Saxon, "Wicca", or even the later "wicked", I don't really know.

They're both supposed to derive from the same place as, "wise" and have something of the meaning of "cunning" about them.

As to broomsticks, they have obvious phallic and fertility symbolism attached, the only tradition that springs to mind in this connection, at the moment, is "jumping the broomstick" a fairly old, folk marrying tradition, that allowed couples to get hitched without the intervention of the church.

And Scottish witches could ride on fennel stocks as if they were horses, come to think of it.

...I agree with everyone...

Yes, the whole phallus/broomhandle thing must have something to do with it--yet, don't some woodcuts show witches riding donkies, and other hobby horses?

I've heard of the fennel stock version too.

Let's not forget that MOST 'witchfinder generals' were very clever--They stretched out what the truth already was:
i.e. The broomstick could easily be hidden within the house, but when the witch wished to attend sabbat, she merely greased herself (himself) up and took flight...well, matter of speaking.

You could also attribute the shafts of the brooms to the staffs of the celts--but, I'd hate to get all fluffbunny :D

The same goes with the cauldron.

With old myths of giant healing cauldrons and it's symbolism of the womb, the Church was just dying to corrupt what the public believed about it.

As with the broomstick, an ordinary kettle could be stored away in the home, and taken out to prepare the witche's supposed vile mixtures and flying ointments.

:imo:The Church, as always, played a huge part in the witch craze by defining their own hypocrisy; they changed their sacred text to read: 'Do not suffer a witch to live.' from 'Do not suffer a poisoner to live.':imo:

Of course, they could, without my knowing it, always be changing the bible. ...Excuse my ignorance, but what is with this testament stuff? :mad:I've gotten bashed--*stops midsentence so he can carry this to another thread, and perhaps prevent himself from being banned*

Nick

Bump ...

This Smithsonian Magazine cover of a piece from The Conversation argues for a different source for certain witch iconography such as the tall and / or pointed hat, the broomstick and the cauldron - the history of brewing and the suppression of alewives ...

Up through the Middle Ages brewing was one of the few ways single women could make a living. The common accoutrements of the alewife were transplanted onto the images of witches as the traditional dominance of the trade by women was undermined, propagandized as evil, and suppressed.
Women Dominated Beer Brewing Until They Were Accused of Being Witches

By Laken Brooks, The Conversation
SMITHSONIANMAG.COM
MARCH 8, 2021

Up until the 1500s, brewing was primarily women’s work—that is, until a smear campaign accused women brewers of being witches. Much of the iconography we associate with witches today, from the pointy hat to the broom, emerged from their connection to female brewers. ...

In fact, the nun Hildegard von Bingen, who lived in modern-day Germany, famously wrote about hops in the 12th century and added the ingredient to her beer recipe.

From the Stone Age to the 1700s, ale – and, later, beer – was a household staple for most families in England and other parts of Europe. The drink was an inexpensive way to consume and preserve grains. For the working class, beer provided an important source of nutrients ... Because the beverage was such a common part of the average person’s diet, fermenting was, for many women, one of their normal household tasks. ...

Some enterprising women took this household skill to the marketplace and began selling beer. Widows or unmarried women used their fermentation prowess to earn some extra money, while married women partnered with their husbands to run their beer business. ...

So if you traveled back in time to the Middle Ages or the Renaissance and went to a market in England, you’d probably see an oddly familiar sight: women wearing tall, pointy hats. In many instances, they’d be standing in front of big cauldrons.

But these women were no witches; they were brewers.

They wore the tall, pointy hats so that their customers could see them in the crowded marketplace. They transported their brew in cauldrons. And those who sold their beer out of stores had cats not as demon familiars, but to keep mice away from the grain. ...

Just as women were establishing their foothold in the beer markets of England, Ireland and the rest of Europe, the Inquisition began. The fundamentalist religious movement, which originated in the early 16th century, preached stricter gender norms and condemned witchcraft.

Male brewers saw an opportunity. To reduce their competition in the beer trade, these men accused female brewers of being witches and using their cauldrons to brew up magic potions instead of booze.

Unfortunately, the rumors took hold. ...

The iconography of witches with their pointy hats and cauldrons has endured, as has men’s domination of the beer industry ...
FULL STORY:
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/hist...-witch-accusations-started-pouring-180977171/

See Also:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alewife_(trade)

Bump ...

This Smithsonian Magazine cover of a piece from The Conversation argues for a different source for certain witch iconography such as the tall and / or pointed hat, the broomstick and the cauldron - the history of brewing and the suppression of alewives ...

Up through the Middle Ages brewing was one of the few ways single women could make a living. The common accoutrements of the alewife were transplanted onto the images of witches as the traditional dominance of the trade by women was undermined, propagandized as evil, and suppressed.

FULL STORY:
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/hist...-witch-accusations-started-pouring-180977171/

See Also:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alewife_(trade)

hmmmm. I don't recall any witch trials having the female protagonist's trade as that of a brewer and I've read a few.

This is not a subject I have studied. However, I have read up on pagan religions in Britain, and I have just spent some time doing Google Image searches for "mediaeval pictures of witches" and similar search terms.

The overwhelming majority of images from the time show normally dressed people, usually women, wearing ordinary hats/hoods of the time.

Even some of the later pictures tend to show witches with their hair uncovered and blowing in the wind, or wearing ordinary hats. Nudity is a common feature.

The only picture I found of a "witch" in a pointy hat was one who had been convicted and was being led, bound, and wearing what looked like a dunce's cap: a tall pointy "cap of shame" with no broad brim.

Preliminary conclusion: the pointy hat was a later invention.

Most of the pictures do not show the "witches" wearing black. However, as many were older women, it is possible that many were widows and dressed accordingly.

As others have pointed out upthread, the broomstick and the cauldron or kettle were common items in any person's house.

A cauldron could maliciously be interpreted as being used for brewing potions and poisons.

As for the broomstick: flying is a fairly standard example of "extraordinary" or "magical". Whether we look at Greek or Norse mythology, bible stories, or even some modern fictional heroes, someone with a special power often has some tool, prop, or piece of attire they rely on for that power.

As for all the stuff about hallucinogenic ointments being "applied internally" with the handle of the broomstick, I think that says a lot more about the men coming up with the stories than it does about the women accused of it.

The broomstick being phallic and the cauldron being "feminine" is just overlaying Freudian orthodoxy on an earlier set of beliefs. If it's longer than it's broad, it's phallic; but sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Many years ago, I studiously waded through The Pagan Religions of the Ancient British Isles (Ronald Hutton) mainly looking for evidence for or against the supposedly pagan origins of Morris dancing. (No evidence whatsoever.)

The overwhelming impression I got from this book, and other reading I have done, is that there was no "pagan religion" in the sense of a single unified set of beliefs comparable to the Christian church. A witch from Devon would have no knowledge of a witch from Kent or Newcastle. Why would they wear the same things, or use the same accoutrements?

Folk beliefs and customs persisted in different areas, and there were similarities, but there was no consistent unified whole: no official dogma, or clerical class. If witches existed at all, they were not part of some national or European movement. They were individuals and small groups operating discreetly on the margins of society.

In a time when witchcraft was punishable by a painful and humiliating death, why would any witch wear a costume to advertise her trade? The buying and selling of potions, curses, and incantations would have been a secretive affair, with risk on both sides.

I think that the modern image of the witch with a pointy broad-brimmed hat, broomstick, cauldron, and cat, is simply a recent convention: a shorthand to make witches easily identifiable. For comparison:
  • The popular image of Santa Claus in red trimmed with white fur is a fairly modern invention.
  • The popular image of the pirate with a selection from wooden leg, hook, eye patch, and parrot, is a modern invention.
  • Most cowboys did not wear the familiar Stetson style hat beloved of westerns.
  • Sherlock Holmes did not wear a deerstalker or smoke a curved pipe in the original stories.
  • Most desert islands are more than a few yards across, and have more than one tree — and it is not always a coconut tree.
  • Most African tribesmen did not wear grass skirts or have bones through their noses.
There were no doubt some people who believed that they were witches, and some who were simply scammers of their time, but the vast majority of "witches" in mediaeval Europe were just poor bastards who suffered at the hands of the hysteria, superstition, and politics of the time.

Pratchett's witches are endearing and engaging characters, as is the witch in "Room on the Broom", and they wear their ritual costumes proudly. It's pretty weird, when you think about it, that we have somehow converted the victims of up to 100,000 executions of the unfortunate, the bullied and the deluded into a romantic or humorous archetype.

Most of the pictures do not show the "witches" wearing black. However, as many were older women, it is possible that many were widows and dressed accordingly.
Wasn't black as a mourning colour a Victorian development? I doubt many widows in times before then would be financially capable of affording garments that indicated their social status.

Sherlock Holmes did not wear a deerstalker or smoke a curved pipe in the original stories.
There is one Sidney Paget illustration of Holmes wearing a deerstalker, I think from the Baskerville story.
Did Conan Doyle write his character as wearing one, or was it artistic license?

The curved pipe seems to be Basil Rathbone's own invention, or rather someone in the props department at Twentieth Century Fox.

Here is a Wiki list of folks accused in the Salem Witch Trials:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_of_the_Salem_witch_trials
But there were many more executions than that in different places and times, I think.
I could absolutely see the connection with Alewives, in that witches or "wise women" would have been familiar with herbs needed for various purposes including midwifery etc. and tinctures and infusions and boiling things down in cauldrons and what not.
This makes sense. just ran across it:
https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Scottish_Witch_Hunt_in_Context/W50K_7HmZNIC?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq="ale"+woman+witch+trial&pg=PA87&printsec=frontcover

Last edited:
Back