• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Bram Stoker & Dracula (The Novel)

Wasn't Stoker famously obsessed with Henry Irving whom he managed? And I thought he and his wife were known to have separate bedrooms, though that could be for all manner of reasons, including contraception. Point being hasn't it long been supposed Stoker was gay?

Faith & Begorrah! Dracula was Irish!

Bram Stoker, whose gothic novel was published in 1897, was an Irishman and Dracula fans have long sought connections to the vampire in the author's homeland.

One possible connection is in St Patrick's Church of Ireland Church in Monaghan town. Lucy Westenra - Dracula's beautiful teenage victim - is one of the central characters in the novel. Westenra is certainly an unusual name. It's also the name of the local Ascendancy landowning family, also known as the Rossmores.

_110490741_dracula4.jpg
Image captionDid this dramatic tableau in a Monaghan church inspire the character of Lucy Westenra?

And in the church, there's a memorial sculpture portraying the deathbed of a young woman. It's a dramatic scene, known as The Parting Glance, in which the woman's distraught husband has to be restrained by a friend. The sculpture was dedicated to Mary Ann Westenra by her grieving husband, Lord Warner William Westenra.

Bram Stoker was an Inspector of Petty Sessions before he became a novelist and it is thought he would have visited Monaghan in the course of his work. The theory goes that Stoker saw the sculpture and used the image of the young woman and the Westenra name to conjure up the character of Lucy.

"It's possibly as simple as he was on his lunch break and happened to walk into the church," said local historian, Sinead O'Reilly.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-51053870

Call for 'Dracula Coast' tourist trail in north-east Scotland

Source: BBC News
Date: 24 January, 2020

Dracula author Bram Stoker was inspired by the north east of Scotland and there are calls for it to do more to celebrate the connection.

The fictional Count Dracula lived in a vast ruined castle, described by the author as being on the edge of a "terrific precipice".

Its jagged battlements towered over fang-like rocks in the sea below, rather like Slains Castle near Cruden Bay in Aberdeenshire.

Calls are being made for a new tourist trail to celebrate Bram Stoker's links to Scotland

Author Mike Shepherd has written a book detailing the Scottish origins of Dracula.

He believes it is less than a coincidence that Slains Castle closely resembles the castle in the iconic novel.

"You have to realise that Bram Stoker wrote Dracula nearby in Cruden Bay and most of the time Slains Castle would have been in view," Mr Shepherd told BBC Scotland's The Nine programme.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-51221746

{Couldn't locate an existing topic I might add this
onto}

Call for 'Dracula Coast' tourist trail in north-east Scotland

Source: BBC News
Date: 24 January, 2020

Dracula author Bram Stoker was inspired by the north east of Scotland and there are calls for it to do more to celebrate the connection.

The fictional Count Dracula lived in a vast ruined castle, described by the author as being on the edge of a "terrific precipice".

Its jagged battlements towered over fang-like rocks in the sea below, rather like Slains Castle near Cruden Bay in Aberdeenshire.

Calls are being made for a new tourist trail to celebrate Bram Stoker's links to Scotland

Author Mike Shepherd has written a book detailing the Scottish origins of Dracula.

He believes it is less than a coincidence that Slains Castle closely resembles the castle in the iconic novel.

"You have to realise that Bram Stoker wrote Dracula nearby in Cruden Bay and most of the time Slains Castle would have been in view," Mr Shepherd told BBC Scotland's The Nine programme.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-51221746

{Couldn't locate an existing topic I might add this
onto}

Dracula is Irish! Awa' wi' ye! Thieving Scots!

Dracula is Irish! Awa' wi' ye! Thieving Scots!

Speculation, but interesting all the same:

An essay from Professor Elizabeth Miller, meanwhile, contended that Stoker may not have even known about the legend of Vlad Dracula, as there is no evidence of such in the writer's research notes for the book.
Born in Clontarf in Dublin back in 1847, one popular theory presented by Bob Curran, a lecturer in Celtic History and Folklore at the University of Ulster, Coleraine, suggests Stoker actually based his novel on the story of Abhartach.
A decidedly bloody and disturbing 5th century folklore legend, the story of Abhartach is every bit as terrifying as that of Vlad the Impaler albeit with one key difference: it took place in Ireland.
According to an early 17th century account from Dr Geoffrey Keating, Abhartach was a brutal Irish warlord who ruled over a small region of Ireland thought to encompass the town of Garvagh.
A ruthless and feared leader, Abhartach ruled through a mix of intimidation and bloodletting and was believed to be in possession of magical powers bestowed upon him by evil spirits.
Eventually, the townsfolk banded together and, together with a neighbouring chieftain by the name of Cathain, succeeded in killing Abhartach.
But the story takes a decidedly dark twist with the burial of Abhartach who was entombed standing up, as was the tradition for Celtic chieftain funerals at the time.
According to the folklore, Abhartach soon rose from the grave and began yet another murderous reign of terror, fuelled by the blood of his subjects, which he demanded by the bowlful in an attempt to sustain his energy.
Cathain soon returned and succeeded in killing the tyrant again but, once again, Abhartach returned, demanding more blood from the land of the living.
Suddenly aware he was facing off against a spiritual force beyond his mortal boundaries, Cathain took advice from a Christian saint who explained that a sword made of yew wood was required to vanquish Abhartach once and for all.
Even then further precautions would be required. Cathain was instructed to bury Abhartach upside down with a grant stone placed above his body to prevent further escape.
This time he succeeded in vanquishing the evil spirit, though some evidence of the dastardly deed remains.
Source:

I intend to merge the numerous Dracula threads, but in the meantime you should feast your eyes on Dracula's Parrot.

woit29jh2dd41.jpg

That, alas, is not its real name. It's a fine example of the Pesquet's parrot (Psittrichas fulgidus), also known as the vulturine parrot (leading to easy confusion with Pyrilia vulturina from Brazil).

I intend to merge the numerous Dracula threads, but in the meantime you should feast your eyes on Dracula's Parrot.

View attachment 22818

That, alas, is not its real name. It's a fine example of the Pesquet's parrot (Psittrichas fulgidus), also known as the vulturine parrot (leading to easy confusion with Pyrilia vulturina from Brazil).

Stunning. Here's something odd though, not just 5 minutes ago, I was browsing a forum dedicated to the old Universal Monster movies and someone posted a very similar picture of the 'Dracula Parrot', so this is the second time today I've seen this wonderful bird!

Stunning. Here's something odd though, not just 5 minutes ago, I was browsing a forum dedicated to the old Universal Monster movies and someone posted a very similar picture of the 'Dracula Parrot', so this is the second time today I've seen this wonderful bird!

I pinched from Reddit. I can recall which subreddit, but it might have been a recent post.

Seen at Saint Mary’s church, Whitby.

View attachment 43671
Folk have a weird relationship with some of these older fictional characters. It's almost as though they must have existed by virtue of them having been known about for so long. But the idea that, presumably, numerous visitors have asked to see the grave of a fictional character who's a kind of mythical monster and who was never described as having been buried there in the fiction is layered with ignorance.

Folk have a weird relationship with some of these older fictional characters. It's almost as though they must have existed by virtue of them having been known about for so long. But the idea that, presumably, numerous visitors have asked to see the grave of a fictional character who's a kind of mythical monster and who was never described as having been buried there in the fiction is layered with ignorance.
The writer Laurie Lee, enjoying a quiet drink one day in the village pub in Slad, was asked by a visitor where to find the famous writer's grave.
He said 'I'm not dead yet!'

Get you daily Dracula here.

From the website: The whole story happens between May 3 and November 10. So: Dracula Daily will post a newsletter each day that something happens to the characters, in the same timeline that it happens to them.

I'm a few days late (been busy moving house), but it's never too late to start! Enjoy.

https://draculadaily.substack.com/about

Get you daily Dracula here.

From the website: The whole story happens between May 3 and November 10. So: Dracula Daily will post a newsletter each day that something happens to the characters, in the same timeline that it happens to them.

I'm a few days late (been busy moving house), but it's never too late to start! Enjoy.

https://draculadaily.substack.com/about
Thank you! I subscribed.

Back