• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Peculiar (And Lost) 'Wisdom' & Advice From Our Elders

Not that long ago they said that you should only eat three eggs a week, but I think that has changed (again). I've never noticed any ill effects or weight gain etc either and I eat eggs most days.

I was always under the impression that it is considered rude and impolite to say 'she' or 'he' to refer to someone who is right there with you.
Now I remember what the egg thing was about, in the 60's they determined (incorrectly) that eggs caused high cholesterol. I remember my grandpa ate 2 eggs a day for breakfast. He never had high cholesterol and lived to be 80.

I was always under the impression that it is considered rude and impolite to say 'she' or 'he' to refer to someone who is right there with you.
That makes sense.

Cholesterol. An excess of it in the body can cause a lot of problems. I am not up to date on steroid research but I believe now it is at least doubtful as to whether eating eggs actually increases the amount of cholesterol in your body but you can understand why eating cholesterol rich foods might have been considered a bad thing.
They have identified processed corn products like margarine, corn oil and high fructose corn syrup as cultprits that cause high cholesterol. I only know that because I worked for cardiologists for 8 years.

They have identified processed corn products like margarine, corn oil and high fructose corn syrup as cultprits that cause high cholesterol. I only know that because I worked for cardiologists for 8 years.
@JahaRa - Where have you been!

I understand that some Koreans have a thing about using an electric fan in an enclosed room without windows and in doing so you're risking death. This may also be an urban myth that's self perpetuated into a ''I know a friend of a friend that this happened to'' type of scenario.
It sort of makes sense because if you are not pulling in fresh air from the window, the fan is blowing all the dust and other tiny particles around the room. It probably would not result in death, but might result in respiratory issues.

I remember being at the homes of friends when I was a child, and they were not allowed to open the windows.
Some people never open their windows, they don't believe in it.
When I lived in Virginia I never opened the windows. In the 70's the pollution was terrible and the humidity was worse. In the desert we keep the window open from March through October and on nice days the rest of the year.

Duck Tape? Dick Tape? :chuckle:

Reminds me of a young bloke I knew who had so much enthusiastic sex with a new girlfriend he rubbed himself raw.
As this was uncomfortable next day he resorted to sticking a plaster over the damage.
A colleague saw it and joked that Bloke must have picked up a Dose.

Bloke niavely believed him. The relationship didn't last. :(
I thought we'd agreed to never speak of this? Traitor.

Wasn't that ganglions? It didn't work anyway.

Wart-removal was done with more magical methods. :wink2:

I used to buy warts and verrucas off my own kids for 50p a shot. Now, that did work.
Yes, ganglions as well.

There were stories of certain seats at supermarket checkouts or offices where women who sat there got pregnant. Haven't seen many such stories for a while though.
We had at lest one thread on this. :)

In 1982 I bought a smart but baggy coat from a jumble sale. It kept me warm right up to Escet's birth, after which I passed it on to a friend.
She too was pregnant in short order and happily wore the coat, later handing it on in turn to a neighbour who, yup, also copped for a baby.

Last I heard, the coat was still doing the rounds of the estate, spreading its fertility and mayhem. :chuckle:

It was gin
There's a make of gin called Bathtub, which I found rather crass. However, I've read that it's not a reference to abortion.

The name comes from when making home-brewed spirits, people had to use the bath tap to fill the bottle up as it's so tall and wouldn't fit in the sink. Sounds thin!

There's a make of gin called Bathtub, which I found rather crass. However, I've read that it's not a reference to abortion.

The name comes from when making home-brewed spirits, people had to use the bath tap to fill the bottle up as it's so tall and wouldn't fit in the sink. Sounds thin!
I wonder if the term 'Mother's ruin' was anything to do with the aforementioned. I always just put it down to meaning 'becoming an alcoholic', but now I'm thinking it may have other connotations.

What happens if you have a wart on your nose?
The ex once somehow grew a huge weeping carbuncular wart on his already unprepossessing visage, a couple of inches below one eye. By the time he took my advice to have it seen to it was big enough to trip over.

He eventually had it burned off at the doctor's surgery, seeing off with it both the last remnants of his dignity and our marriage.

I bet it smelt awful. :chuckle:

Do you mean Duct Tape?
Duck Tape is an American brand of duct tape, among other things. It is also sold in Europe.
https://www.duckbrand.com/about
Although Duck Tape is a brand name for what we now call duct tape, "duck" is probably the original name. Opinion varies over whether it is because quality versions are made from cotton duck fabric, or because it was used to seal leaks on (and onboard) the amphibious landing craft known as ducks. It's actually not very good for mending ducts. It should not be confused with gaffer's tape, a low-tack version used in the entertainment industry for securing electrical cables.

When I was young, I had “ a penny saved is a penny earned “ shoved down my throat which made me angry since I came from a poor family and I thought this is stupid because I didn’t have money anyway so what the heck.

Mother's ruin
Gin became cheap and widely available in Britain during the eighteenth century. The working classes took to it in a big way and drunkenness was a huge problem.

The satirist Hogarth depicted the issue with illustrations of two imaginary English streets, 'Gin Lane' and 'Beer Street'.
People on Beer Street prosper but Gin Lane is chaotic and dangerous; women are shown neglecting their families for drink. It was the moral panic of its day.

As seen in Gin Lane, gin was the ruin of mothers. Society was falling apart.
We'd use the phrase as a joke now but it wasn't funny back then.

Although Duck Tape is a brand name for what we now call duct tape, "duck" is probably the original name. Opinion varies over whether it is because quality versions are made from cotton duck fabric, or because it was used to seal leaks on (and onboard) the amphibious landing craft known as ducks. It's actually not very good for mending ducts. It should not be confused with gaffer's tape, a low-tack version used in the entertainment industry for securing electrical cables.
Duct tape is definetly the thing, and may be the origin of both.
Duct tape is used in the actual assembley of air conditioning ducts on aircraft. The lightweight composite duct sections are slieved and the joints held in place by duct tape. I never worked in that industry, but I believe rail rolling stock use the same technique for weight and space saving.

This is a practice that must at least 100 years old in the aviaiton industry and older in the rail industry.

Never cast a clout before May is out.
My old dear used to regularly wallop or 'clout' us kids. When we heard that expression we quoted it to her, joking that she couldn't clout us because it was still April. You can guess how that played out.

Gin became cheap and widely available in Britain during the eighteenth century. The working classes took to it in a big way and drunkenness was a huge problem.

The satirist Hogarth depicted the issue with illustrations of two imaginary English streets, 'Gin Lane' and 'Beer Street'.
People on Beer Street prosper but Gin Lane is chaotic and dangerous; women are shown neglecting their families for drink. It was the moral panic of its day.

As seen in Gin Lane, gin was the ruin of mothers. Society was falling apart.
We'd use the phrase as a joke now but it wasn't funny back then.
Yes but I wondered if the phrase 'Mother's ruin' had anything to do with the abortion myth as well.

My old dear used to regularly wallop or 'clout' us kids. When we heard that expression we quoted it to her, joking that she couldn't clout us because it was still April. You can guess how that played out.
Or, considering our climate 'Never cast a clout...' at all. Ever.

My mother was a child during the war and I think the whole ethos of 'make do and mend' and 'save everything' and 'keep to the rules' permeated her whole life from then on. Her saying 'only turn the lights on when the curtains are drawn' had its origin in the blackout but we were made to keep to it throughout my entire growing up. It is very very hard to read in a dark room on a cloudy day when you aren't allowed to turn the lights on because 'it's daylight' and you therefore can't draw the curtains!

I can't remember exactly how it was phrased, but in the 1970s I would be admonished if I was pulling faces, and firmly told that "if the wind changed, my face would be stuck like that forever."

Back