• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Aveley Abductions

Far as I can see its just another tall tale with anonymous abductees, unnamed medical attendees, unidentified bogus police officers, etc, etc.

This was one of the first things I read in the old ‘Unexplained’ monthly I think.

Thank you @Paul_Exeter as I hate watching YT videos. I’d much rather read something.
Seems to me that this is a genuine case, there is even a photo of the couple at the location and I can understand why they didn't want to be exposed to the tabloids and ridicule. I also feel this way as we have seen several other cases of people in cars and on motorbikes encountering these mists and experiencing strange physical sensations and electrical activity.

But it is evidence of an unknown plasma or other type of phenomena and not of alien spacecraft, especially as the light they saw beforehand could easily have been some earthly that they misidentified. I'm afraid I have little faith in hypnotic regression in these circumstance and it is evident from the transcript that they were being asked leading questions. Also there are some 1970s sci-fi themes to be found, such as mentions of Saturn and Phobos, both mysterious places as Voyager had yet to reach Saturn (1980) and Phobos perhaps because the Viking missions were in the news. I am also trying to find 'pink-eyed aliens' from the contemporary sci-fi and UFO reports of that era, anyone?

What is more intriguing to me is the subsequent poltergeist-type activity and it is a credit to Collins that he includes this, as unfortunately too many Ufologists of his era filtered such details out. As for the feeling that had of being watched and even harassed by the police, well you can read too much into these instances. For example, his common make and appearance of car may have fitted the description of a car being used by a known petty criminal, hence the frequent stop checks.

I would add to the above that under hypnosis they came out with classic 'space brothers' stuff that had been a feature of some famous previous claimed abductions. Yet here we are half a century later and headed towards a climate catastrophe, Russia waging war etc So if the space brothers were ever a real thing then they rather wasted their time...

I would add to the above that under hypnosis they came out with classic 'space brothers' stuff that had been a feature of some famous previous claimed abductions. Yet here we are half a century later and headed towards a climate catastrophe, Russia waging war etc So if the space brothers were ever a real thing then they rather wasted their time...
The space brothers tried. We didn't listen.

With humanity then, as now, headed down a rocky and uncertain path, you can see why the Space Brothers made an appearance, giving people a message they wanted to hear. The question is why we moved away from that message (and the crossover point in reports was around 1977/78; it's interesting Aveley should feature characteristics of both earlier and later encounters) toward the present bunch of sterile, malevolent, cattle-mutilating technocrats.

I believe in alien abduction, but it is impossible to prove.

It is like taking the blue pill in the “ The Matrix “ movie and going down the “ rabbit hole “.
Interesting that green mists are associated with being 'pixie-led':

"Probably the best I have ever heard came from an old woman who has lived on the moor all her life. Whilst she had not actually experienced being pixie led herself her grandfather often related how he once earned the displeasure of the little folk and became ‘led’. Apparently one minute he was happily traipsing across the moor on a track he knew well. Suddenly a dense mist descended that appeared to have a very feint green tint to it, along with this the man’s head became ‘zwimmy’ (dizzy) and he began stumbling around trying to find his direction. The actual experience seemed to last for hours and he lost all track of time but when the mist lifted he looked at his watch and only a few minutes had passed. Despite thinking he had been wandering around for miles he had in fact only moved a few yards from the spot he had reached when the mist ascended."

https://inspirationpie932794997.wordpress.com/tag/pixie-led/

I found more examples of this association. So what if these abductions are not being carried out by Allen spacefarers who travel across space in physical craft but rather some 'intelligent other' that has interacted with humanity for all time but which inhabits another dimension and can crossover to ours?

The poltergeist activity then makes a lot more sense....

One of the key points made in accounts of Aveley is the changes in the family's lifestyle afterwards: the husband changing career to something more rewarding, the giving up alcohol, the vegetarianism, followed eventually (I believe) by him moving to Scotland with a new partner. But what if all these things were latent; they were already directions that Mr "Avis" consciously or otherwise wanted to take? There's something of a familiar arc here - I hesitate to say "midlife crisis" but something along those lines.

I notice the son was supposed to have performed much better at school afterwards too - but then a more fulfilled, less stressed parent at home might have that effect.

Maybe the "aliens" just provided a catalyst for this to happen. It was also the husband who was keen to undergo regression, so perhaps he 'led' the experience.

So I just looked at the BBC sport football website to check on the Man Utd score (not a fan!). There is one other game on tonight in England, five divisions below but, due to being the only other game, it is directly underneath the premiership game, and that involves a team called....

.... Aveley...!

One of the key points made in accounts of Aveley is the changes in the family's lifestyle afterwards: the husband changing career to something more rewarding, the giving up alcohol, the vegetarianism, followed eventually (I believe) by him moving to Scotland with a new partner. But what if all these things were latent; they were already directions that Mr "Avis" consciously or otherwise wanted to take? There's something of a familiar arc here - I hesitate to say "midlife crisis" but something along those lines.

I notice the son was supposed to have performed much better at school afterwards too - but then a more fulfilled, less stressed parent at home might have that effect.

Maybe the "aliens" just provided a catalyst for this to happen. It was also the husband who was keen to undergo regression, so perhaps he 'led' the experience.
Good pints, and kudos again to Collins for giving us the full picture. Maybe not such a great outcome for his then wife...? Once again, if only we could hear from those children now they are adults.

Seems to me that this is a genuine case, there is even a photo of the couple at the location and I can understand why they didn't want to be exposed to the tabloids and ridicule. I also feel this way as we have seen several other cases of people in cars and on motorbikes encountering these mists and experiencing strange physical sensations and electrical activity.

But it is evidence of an unknown plasma or other type of phenomena and not of alien spacecraft, especially as the light they saw beforehand could easily have been some earthly that they misidentified. I'm afraid I have little faith in hypnotic regression in these circumstance and it is evident from the transcript that they were being asked leading questions. Also there are some 1970s sci-fi themes to be found, such as mentions of Saturn and Phobos, both mysterious places as Voyager had yet to reach Saturn (1980) and Phobos perhaps because the Viking missions were in the news. I am also trying to find 'pink-eyed aliens' from the contemporary sci-fi and UFO reports of that era, anyone?

What is more intriguing to me is the subsequent poltergeist-type activity and it is a credit to Collins that he includes this, as unfortunately too many Ufologists of his era filtered such details out. As for the feeling that had of being watched and even harassed by the police, well you can read too much into these instances. For example, his common make and appearance of car may have fitted the description of a car being used by a known petty criminal, hence the frequent stop checks.
This.

Rather than poking around investigating UFOs, why aren't we doing more experiments on plasma and electrical fields and what they can do to the human brain?

This.

Rather than poking around investigating UFOs, why aren't we doing more experiments on plasma and electrical fields and what they can do to the human brain?
One finding from the MoD releasing the UFO files and the Freedom of Information requests was that there did seem an acceptance within the military and government that some sort of plasma that interacted with planes and vehicles did exist. This belief may very well stem from investigations into the foo fighters, I have certainly seen documents that mention plasmas. However, they categorically did not go as far to say these were 'intelligent', more along the lines of ball lightning.

There are some decent multiple witness accounts of time and spatial distortions arising from driving into - or otherwise entering - a strange mist, including the 1992 A70 abduction case where the car and two occupants drove into a shimmering, defined 'curtain ' that looked like the interference on a detuned tv, and also offhand I also remember a case involving motorcyclist and Jaguar car (sorry, I will have to look top the others, there are some in Jenny Randles' 'Time Storms'.)

Too sensible.
Arguably many of the better UFO accounts we have involve a airborne bright light (but not a structured craft) interacting with the witnesses and/or a mist or void, strange mental, spatial and time distortions, interference with vehicles, nausea afterwards, the OZ effect etc. That is, the interaction with some form of plasma (although it does often seem to display intelligence).

The actual aliens only appear later in the narrative and under dubious circumstances. That is, the use of hypnosis by self-titled UFO researchers with one aim and one aim only: to prove that extraterrestrials are visiting Earth in spaceships. This is in spite of many academics and other researchers having raised serious questions regarding the veracity of hypnosis for this purpose. So you have these sessions taking place many months or even years after the event with leading questions and often after the witness has accessed UFO literature. Then you have the influence of popular culture and its UFO obsession plus movies such as 'ET'. In fact, an alarming number of aliens drawn under hypnosis bare a remarkable resemblance to either Strieber's greys or Spielberg's ET (for example, Colin Wood's drawings after the A70 case which are effectively drawings of ET).

Last edited:
Maybe not such a great outcome for his then wife.

Who's to say. Maybe she was already fed up of him? From the changes made alone, he seems to have been unhappy with his existing life.

EM phenomena and psychosocial aspects aside, there are a number of mundane things which might have fed into the experience. One thing I keep thinking about, looking at the topography, is that the strange bank of 'fog' was immediately after an isolated row of four terraced houses at the side of the road (they're still there; I checked on Street View). Given it was late October, had someone been burning something, maybe?

As for the light in the sky, the fact it 'paced' the car and stopped when the car did always suggests the possibility that they were misperceiving a star or planet. Alternatively, I see that Damyns Hall aerodrome is just to the west of the abduction site and opened in the late 1960s.

Personally what suggests itself to me is that the family saw a light in the sky and decided it was a "UFO"; they were already talking about it as such before the fog incident. This might have pushed them into a mild state of panic which seeing the fog across the road just elevated. If you look at the conscious aspects of the experience then there's nothing there which couldn't be explained by them driving through a small bank of fog or smoke in a state of panic (including the car's erratic movements, the chill, and the sensation of the mist being 'illuminated' internally, which could even have been from their car's own lights). The only thing I can't really understand is the sparking radio, but maybe there was a coincidental electrical fault.

Last edited:
One possible source for a bank of green fog would be a temporary traffic light associated with roadworks - in a patch of mist or fog such a traffic light could become a spooky, luminous emerald haze. I've currently got a set of temporary traffic lights visible from my window - they were somewhat disconcerting until I figured out what they were.

Of course, I've got no idea whether there were any temporary traffic lights there, in Aveley.

One possible source for a bank of green fog would be a temporary traffic light associated with roadworks - in a patch of mist or fog such a traffic light could become a spooky, luminous emerald haze. I've currently got a set of temporary traffic lights visible from my window - they were somewhat disconcerting until I figured out what they were.

Of course, I've got no idea whether there were any temporary traffic lights there, in Aveley.

Well, on leaving the "fog" they did feel a bump, like going over a bridge:
0_roads25.jpg

This case offers a veritable pot-pourri of the mythologies surrounding E.T.H based Ufology both before and since 1974. We have electrical interference, missing time, strange mists, quasi-religious conversion, a menagerie of Alien types, a hint of deep state conspiracy and Jungian dream episodes. Whew!

In particular the Aliens here seem to represent a sort of missing link between the benevolent Cosmic Angels which were commonly mentioned in the sixtiers and into the seventies (by, for example Brinsley Le Poer Trench) and the more villainous (and laconic) Space Kidnappers which were popularised by Bud Hopkins in the Eighties and Nineties.

As others have said, there's a lot of Cultural Tracking here. It's all very 1970s. The use of body scanners by the abductors might have seemed like cutting edge technology in `74 - but now all hospita;ls (and airports) do the same. Then we have holograms and vague mentions of `magnetic drives` and aliens with pointed ears!

It's very heady stuff and, like a lot of the above posters, I would be inclined to view this as more (para)psychological than anything else.

Onre thing really sits badly with me though. In the Paranormal Scholar Youtube video in the O.P (whichch I bravely sat all the way through) our host mentions (rather in passing) that the father was harrassed by the police - not just the Men in Black - but your average coppers. Apparently he was ordered to turn up to the local police station with documents.

Now this either happened or it didn't and, unlike much of the other stuff here, can be checked. Of course, the police could simply lie and deny it all - but has anyone even bothered to ask them? (I haven't read all of the texts that other posters have supplied above - so forgive me if they have).

Last edited:
I've just finished reading the Flying Saucer Review article (that issue has another interesting British CE3 earlier on, incidentally) and a couple of things jumped out at me.

1. The UFO when it was seen very closely followed the route of a power line. Perhaps what they were seeing was actually some sort of fault on the line itself, rather than something following it?

2. John is a classic 'status inconsistent' witness, imaginative but frustrated:

Screenshot_20230815-182329_Drive.jpg

3. By contrast Elaine is little described, despite undergoing the same experience: a "quiet" person and stay at home mother. Is this the bias of the investigator, or I wonder if this meant John did most of the talking (and just maybe the "imagining")?

This case offers a veritable pot-pourri of the mythologies surrounding E.T.H based Ufology both before and since 1974. We have electrical interference, missing time, strange mists, quasi-religious conversion, a menagerie of Alien types, a hint of deep state conspiracy and Jungian dream episodes. Whew!

In particular the Aliens here seem to represent a sort of missing link between the benevolent Cosmic Angels which were commonly mentioned in the sixtiers and into the seventies (by, for example Brinsley Le Poer Trench) and the more villainous (and laconic) Space Kidnappers which were popularised by Bud Hopkins in the Eighties and Nineties.

As others have said, there's a lot of Cultural Tracking here. It's all very 1970s. The use of body scanners by the abductors might have seemed like cutting edge technology in `74 - but now all hospita;ls (and airports) do the same. Then we have holograms and vague mentions of `magnetic drives` and aliens with pointed ears!

It's very heady stuff and, like a lot of the above posters, I would be inclined to view this as more (para)psychological than anything else.

Onre thing really sits badly with me though. In the Paranormal Scholar Youtube video in the O.P (whichch I bravely sat all the way through) our host mentions (rather in passing) that the father was harrassed by the police - not just the Men in Black - but your average coppers. Apparently he was ordered to turn up to the local police station with documents.

Now this either happened or it didn't and, unlike much of the other stuff here, can be checked. Of course, the police could simply lie and deny it all - but has anyone even bothered to ask them? (I haven't read all of the texts that other posters have supplied above - so forgive me if they have).

Here's what is said about the 'police' involvement:

Screenshot_20230815-232126_Drive.jpg

As soon as I read 'hypnotic regression' I lose all interest. The sooner this is stamped out as a means of 'finding out what really went on', the happier I will be.

I lived in Forest Gate for a while. Other interesting denizens of Forest Gate included Arnold Swarznegger and Barry Winsor-Smith, who illustrated the first issues of Conan the Barbarian. Obviously a Fortean place.

I worry that Avis may have been projecting his own obsessions onto the rest of the family, who went along with it for their own reasons.

Last edited:
Back