• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Irrational Science Fiction & Fantasy Clichés

Another weird sci-fi thing is having crazy technology in one area, like faster than light travel or matter replication etc, and being bizarrely underdeveloped in another area, like still having basic human bodies without genetic/cybernetic enhancements, dying of old age or something.

Fantasy magic has similar issues.

I think the muscular barbarian trope comes from Howard being a bodybuilder?
True, probably. But as a trope in fantasy movies and illustrations, it makes no sense. I've done a very physical job most of my working life, and got very fit, but I never looked anything like Conan. Years ago, taking a break from a physical job, I decided to lift a few weights a day, and piled on the muscle. Now I've given up my job due to parkinsons, I lift weights as much as I safely can to try to maintain some strength and fitness, and once again I'm more muscular than when I was carrying heavy stuff all day as a job. I maintain, you're not going to get a build like a movie barbarian travelling through the wilderness most days, eating what you can pick from plants and trees and what game you can kill. If you want to look that way, you have to train and eat specifically to look that way.

Back to Niven again but in the "Magic goes away" series where magic was a finite resource that was being used up; the magicians use magic to maintain peak physical fitness and so looked better than the barbarians.

Transporter technology would change the way people live beyond measure. Rather than have a 'house', who wouldn't have a bedroom in one country/ climate, a lounge in another, a front garden in India and a back garden in the Amazon? Every landmass on Earth would be populated by small living cubes with different functions between which everybody constantly transported. It would immediately destroy the economy, as 90% of road/ rail/ sea/ air transport would be rendered unnecessary. What would all those employees do? And do we really think the big oil companies would tolerate this for a microsecond?

Teleportation tech was probably actually invented in the 80s, and has been ruthlessly suppressed ever since.

I'd have a lounge in the Lake District, a bathroom with a view of the pyramids, a bedroom that opened out to a balcony over New York City (or whatever it became) and a garden in Somerset with a view of Glastonbury Tor. And an additional garden space in Antarctica.

What leads you to this conclusion?
Quantum teleportation has been demonstrated, but in the late 1990s.
It's not a conclusion, more a wry suggestion. But the experimentation with Quantum Teleportation- while fantastic and fascinating- still wouldn't convince me to throw myself into a current quantum teleporter with any expectation of coming out the other side!

It's not a conclusion, more a wry suggestion. But the experimentation with Quantum Teleportation- while fantastic and fascinating- still wouldn't convince me to throw myself into a current quantum teleporter with any expectation of coming out the other side!
Yes, indeed. I wouldn't chance it.

Edit: Andrew Basiago claimed that he was teleported to Mars and he met Barack Obama there, when they were both kids. I have no idea why a successful lawyer would make such wild claims.

Transporter technology would change the way people live beyond measure. Rather than have a 'house', who wouldn't have a bedroom in one country/ climate, a lounge in another, a front garden in India and a back garden in the Amazon? Every landmass on Earth would be populated by small living cubes with different functions between which everybody constantly transported. It would immediately destroy the economy, as 90% of road/ rail/ sea/ air transport would be rendered unnecessary. What would all those employees do? And do we really think the big oil companies would tolerate this for a microsecond?

Teleportation tech was probably actually invented in the 80s, and has been ruthlessly suppressed ever since.

I'd have a lounge in the Lake District, a bathroom with a view of the pyramids, a bedroom that opened out to a balcony over New York City (or whatever it became) and a garden in Somerset with a view of Glastonbury Tor. And an additional garden space in Antarctica.
Crime becomes unsolvable "I couldn't have done it as I was on the Moon at the time - oh wait!"

Look how much drama has changed since the advent of mobile 'phones.

What security do you have to stop 10,000 people arriving in your living room? Or the axe murderer (That fire axe again) Someone could send an elephant into your room. Objects or people will have to arrive so as not to collide with something else even assuming you avoid all the dust, atoms etc. at the destination, if it is full of other people what happens to those waiting or do you get a fly scenario as @kesavaross suggests?

Teleporting perverts could streak across the entire planet waving their bits at thousands of people in the space of a few minutes. Disgruntled transport workers could go on an almost endless killing spree by appearing at random locations for a few seconds at a time....

It would bring a lot of problems along with the advantages.

You are Hayden Christensen, and I claim my £5!

Nice fantasy but that’s a lot of rooms you’re going to be buying or renting - you're going need deep pockets. Where are these rooms situated - in purpose-built units divided into single dedicated rooms? That’s a lot of building someone’s going to need to do.

Yup, just beam a virus into them, or just a small pellet of anything in the right place.

Or use it as a cloning machine. Or to remove all diseases or injuries etc.
Star Gate: Atlantis used the idea of beaming torpedoes into enemy ships. It needed the enemy to not have effective shields though. (Star Trek Online does this too, and I think one of the Nu-Star Trek movies did it.)

The Borg in Star Trek will use transporters to initiate boarding parties and sabotage/attempt to hijack the enemy while in a firefight.

In Star Trek Online they had the idea of enemies using transporters to beam parts out of static defenses to disable them. nice power conduits... I'll take them! YOINK!

Star Trek makes the point of targeting a moving object being risky, but if you just want to break stuff....

True, probably. But as a trope in fantasy movies and illustrations, it makes no sense. I've done a very physical job most of my working life, and got very fit, but I never looked anything like Conan. Years ago, taking a break from a physical job, I decided to lift a few weights a day, and piled on the muscle. Now I've given up my job due to parkinsons, I lift weights as much as I safely can to try to maintain some strength and fitness, and once again I'm more muscular than when I was carrying heavy stuff all day as a job. I maintain, you're not going to get a build like a movie barbarian travelling through the wilderness most days, eating what you can pick from plants and trees and what game you can kill. If you want to look that way, you have to train and eat specifically to look that way.
Yep. And that’s how you do ‘em in... wait until they’ve had to do a good session of weights to maintain the “look”- and are too knackered to resist- a quick whack with an axe, job done! ( worked some years ago with a very nice chap who was a body builder, and boy he said sometimes he could barely move and could just be pushed over by his rather petite Wife, after a blasting session) :)

A lot of 'new' technology creates ripples, many of which aren't either predictable or create further issues in society.
For example, a teleport device affects the entire transport industry. For a majority, re-training isn't an option. Then, you look at the cost of teleport travel. The prices won't drop, as the developers will demand their costs, the energy firms, the constructors etc. etc. will want their cut of the action.* Then consider the legal ramifications. Not only would criminals be able to act but also escape. International law would have to be created, enforced, and applied over the world - which would rely on a world-wide coming together ... which is always desirable but (I think) psychologically near-impossible.
They talk of a tech 'revolutionising' society ... but sometimes revolutions run away with itself and end up doing more than the initiators intended.

* The airline industry might be a good model for the social impact of transport 'revolutions'. From a basic go up/come down, it was further developed to become (by need) a weapon of war. Inter-war, flight was the preserve of the wealthy (as were foreign holidays). After WW2, civilian flight benefitted from developments found by wartime necessity. Civilian needs went on to demand further development, especially in safety. After a time, tech (and availability) become cheap enough to encourage foreign travel by those who couldn't afford it before. This created a boost to the tourist industry but it also impacted the society of the destination as well as the origin.

But that is the point.
Will they ever solve these immortal social ills?
Technology is developed - such as nuclear power - and they still exist.

Star Gate: Atlantis used the idea of beaming torpedoes into enemy ships. It needed the enemy to not have effective shields though. (Star Trek Online does this too, and I think one of the Nu-Star Trek movies did it.)

The Borg in Star Trek will use transporters to initiate boarding parties and sabotage/attempt to hijack the enemy while in a firefight.

In Star Trek Online they had the idea of enemies using transporters to beam parts out of static defenses to disable them. nice power conduits... I'll take them! YOINK!

Star Trek makes the point of targeting a moving object being risky, but if you just want to break stuff....
Yes- that’s always been a slight bugbear of mine with not only transporters, but time machines; just how do you look ahead to see there isn’t anything in the way of where you are going to arrive- the classic 1960 The Time Machine film, a case in point ( I do still love it tho’)... the machine stays put and luckily everything happens around it...highly unlikely over the best part of 800,000 years!
I guess you could send out some drone(s) first that then report back if it’s clear, but of course that would only be useful for the time they were actually there and observed at that particular moment?

Yes- that’s always been a slight bugbear of mine with not only transporters, but time machines; just how do you look ahead to see there isn’t anything in the way of where you are going to arrive- the classic 1960 The Time Machine film, a case in point ( I do still love it tho’)... the machine stays put and luckily everything happens around it...highly unlikely over the best part of 800,000 years!
I guess you could send out some drone(s) first that then report back if it’s clear, but of course that would only be useful for the time they were actually there and observed at that particular moment?
Star Trek uses "sensors" that are sci-fi stuff to target transporters. It's what they mean when they say they have a "transporter lock". They targeted the destination with sensors.

the drone thing got used in Star Gate as part of exploring new places. They don't know if the other side of a Gate is safe, so they send a drone to find out.

Back