• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Lost & Found

Stolen Van Gogh Found

Dutch art sleuth Arthur Brand managed to track down and acquire The Parsonage Garden at Nuenen in Spring worth up to £5 million.

The 1884 painting was snatched in an overnight raid in March 2020 from The Singer Laren museum east of Amsterdam.

It was there on loan from the Groninger Museum.

‘We have searched for it for more than three and a half years but finally it’s here, it’s back.’

‘The painting has suffered, but is – at first glance – still in good condition.’
It was dumped in a blue IKEA bag, wrapped in bubble wrap and a pillow case.

The identity of the man who contacted Brand saying he wanted to give the painting back was not revealed for his own safety.

‘The man told me, “I want to retun the Vn Gogh. it has caused a massive headache” because it could not be used as a bargaining chip,’ Brand said.

He managed to persuade the man, who ‘had nothing todo with the theft’, to hand back the painting.

It is being kept temporarily at the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam.

However, an insurance company had paid the Groninger Museum for the loss and is now the formal owner, although the museum says it will exercise its right to first purchase of the work.
1694634823402.png

Neighbourhood joins search for 600 euros dumped in dumpster

https://nos.nl/artikel/2489294-buurt-zoekt-mee-naar-gedumpte-600-euro-in-vuilcontainer

Neighbours in the Rotterdam district of Charlois cooperated last weekend in a search for 600 euros of cash that had ended up in an underground rubbish container.

A young girl had found the money in the house and put it in an empty box, writes Rijnmond. The parents then threw it away, after which the money ended up in the container on Van Eversdijckstraat. On camera footage taken in the house, the parents saw what had happened.

Eventually, a rubbish truck had to be called in to hoist up the container. The driver of the cleaning service removed all the rubbish bags from the truck one by one. Neighbours put on gloves and then searched for the box of money.

Applause
"Many people helped. As many as 20 people stood by," says restaurant owner Ziyaettin Karacan. Eventually, the box was found. "People all started applauding and cheering. That was fun," says one of the helpers. "The whole street had turned out," said another neighbour.

The 600 euros turned out to be for rent and had therefore been set aside. "We were really stressed," said an older daughter of the family. "We don't leave the money on the table anymore."

Uh, Sir, One of Our F-35s Has Literally Disappeared

One of the U.S. Marine Corps’ advanced F-35B Lightning stealth jump jets has gone missing after its pilot locked it onto autopilot mode and made an emergency ejection while flying over South Carolina on the afternoon of Sunday, September 17. Fortunately, the pilot survived and has been hospitalized in stable condition.

1200px-F-35A_flight_(cropped).jpg

But the status and location of his F-35 remains a mystery—such a mystery that the Pentagon is soliciting tips from civilians to locate it!

By now the, ‘zombie’ F-35B is certain to have crashed, as it could remain airborne for only a couple hours cruising on internal fuel. But it may have flown a considerable distance—even hundreds of miles—before striking the ground.

The Pentagon has yet to indicate what went so wrong with the jet to have compelled the pilot to eject while the airplane was still apparently capable of cruising a significant distance on autopilot.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/mi...5-stealth-fighter-jet-charleston-where-is-it/

maximus otter

Uh, Sir, One of Our F-35s Has Literally Disappeared

One of the U.S. Marine Corps’ advanced F-35B Lightning stealth jump jets has gone missing after its pilot locked it onto autopilot mode and made an emergency ejection while flying over South Carolina on the afternoon of Sunday, September 17. Fortunately, the pilot survived and has been hospitalized in stable condition.

1200px-F-35A_flight_(cropped).jpg

But the status and location of his F-35 remains a mystery—such a mystery that the Pentagon is soliciting tips from civilians to locate it!

By now the, ‘zombie’ F-35B is certain to have crashed, as it could remain airborne for only a couple hours cruising on internal fuel. But it may have flown a considerable distance—even hundreds of miles—before striking the ground.

The Pentagon has yet to indicate what went so wrong with the jet to have compelled the pilot to eject while the airplane was still apparently capable of cruising a significant distance on autopilot.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/mi...5-stealth-fighter-jet-charleston-where-is-it/

maximus otter

It's been found but pilot had to phone 911.

The pilot of a US Marines F-35 jet that went missing called emergency services from a South Carolina home where his parachute landed.

In audio from the call, obtained by the BBC, the pilot told a dispatcher that he was "not sure" where his $100m (£80m) plane was. A local resident can also be heard calmly explaining that the pilot had landed in his backyard.

Debris from the jet was discovered on Monday, a day after it went missing.

In the four-minute call to the 911 emergency number, the resident of a North Charleston home can be heard telling a confused dispatcher that "we got a pilot in the house".

"I guess he landed in my backyard," the resident added. "We're trying to see if we could get an ambulance to the house, please".

The 47-year-old pilot, who has not been named, said that he felt "OK" after ejecting at approximately 2,000ft (609m). Only his back hurt.

"Ma'am, a military jet crashed. I'm the pilot. We need to get rescue rolling," he added. "I'm not sure where the airplane is. It would have crash landed somewhere. I ejected."

The pilot later again asked the dispatcher to "please send an ambulance" and said that he "rode a parachute down to the ground".

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-66890941

If he sustained a back injury during ejection, I guess he won't be a military pilot for much longer.

If he sustained a back injury during ejection, I guess he won't be a military pilot for much longer.

l believe that it’s common to experience back pain after “banging out.”

From memory, the RAF allows pilots to fly after having ejected twice. After two escapes, the risk of cumulative back damage is deemed to be too high.

maximus otter

l believe that it’s common to experience back pain after “banging out.”

From memory, the RAF allows pilots to fly after having ejected twice. After two escapes, the risk of cumulative back damage is deemed to be too high.

maximus otter
I wonder why he ejected from a seemingly flight worthy aircraft as it went on to fly on autopilot for about 2 hours.

On Friday I was putting up some of those removable hooks in the laundry.
The hooks were in quite a large packet and I put it down next to the freezer for when I had measured where I wanted to put some more.
Th e darn things have disappeared and I've checked in the other rooms I might have taken them in a fugue, even asked St. Anthony but so far they haven't reappeared.

Wanna see some dirty slides?

They have scrubbed up nicely! Down-to-earth images of daily life in Edwardian Oldham and Middleton.

Taking the obvious clues, I see that the Star Mill, Oldham was taken over by CWS in 1906, so the estimated 1911 as the date sounds about right. I see that one Moses Brentnall was frying fish in Derbyshire - before or after? - maybe a relation.

Anyhow, it's a very nice time-capsule!

I would sooner find slides in an old case than a mummified baby! :(

Wanna see some dirty slides?

They have scrubbed up nicely! Down-to-earth images of daily life in Edwardian Oldham and Middleton.

Taking the obvious clues, I see that the Star Mill, Oldham was taken over by CWS in 1906, so the estimated 1911 as the date sounds about right. I see that one Moses Brentnall was frying fish in Derbyshire - before or after? - maybe a relation.

Anyhow, it's a very nice time-capsule!

I would sooner find slides in an old case than a mummified baby! :(
People knew how to dress back then.
And the roads are in better condition.

The baby was wrapped in newspapers from the 1940's and 1950's? That's a bit odd. I'd have thought the baby would have been wrapped only in newspapers within a short time period, i.e. newspapers from a one week period, etc.
"the remains were wrapped in three layers of newspaper - dated September 1943; September 1950; and August 1959."

Presumably the remains were re-wrapped on two occasions, possibly on the anniversary of the death? All very sad.

"the remains were wrapped in three layers of newspaper - dated September 1943; September 1950; and August 1959."

Presumably the remains were re-wrapped on two occasions, possibly on the anniversary of the death? All very sad.
That would make sense.

Then why the extra wrapping unless the previous wrapping was getting too old and fragile or something like that?

King Charles II: Playing cards used by monarch found in attic​

Rare 17th Century playing cards
Image source, Woolley and Wallis

A rare set of 17th Century playing cards used by King Charles II has been found in an attic

The king is believed to have used them at the home of MP Jeffery Amherst, in Riverhead, Kent, on his way to the spa waters at Tunbridge Wells.

The Stuart monarch believed the waters would improve the fertility of his Portuguese wife.

The cards were unearthed in an attic in Blakeney, Norfolk, on the death of a descendent of the MP.

They were found along with a late 18th Century note inscribed: "Cards that King Charles & Queen Catherine played with at my great Grandfather's, Mr Amherst of Riverhead on their way to Tunbridge Wells."

'Treasured'

Mark Yuan-Richards, from auctioneers Woolley and Wallis, described them as "true museum pieces".

He said: "The fine condition of these cards, and the fact that it is a complete set, suggests that they may have only been used by the royal couple and then put away for posterity.

"The vendor inherited the set from his great-aunt, who kept them boxed away in her attic.

"We can trace her family back through eight generations to Jeffery Amherst so the set has clearly been passed down over the centuries and treasured all that time."

The cards have gilt edges, meaning that they were of the best quality.

They will be auctioned in Salisbury on 5 October with a pre-sale estimate of £2,000-3,000.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-66936294

He said: "The fine condition of these cards, and the fact that it is a complete set, suggests that they may have only been used by the royal couple and then put away for posterity.

"The vendor inherited the set from his great-aunt, who kept them boxed away in her attic.

"We can trace her family back through eight generations to Jeffery Amherst so the set has clearly been passed down over the centuries and treasured all that time."

The cards have gilt edges, meaning that they were of the best quality.

They will be auctioned in Salisbury on 5 October with a pre-sale estimate of £2,000-3,000.
Ooooh, a treasured family heirloom - unique, a royal connection, undoubted provenance, kept safe for eight generations. :cool:

Three to five grand, you say? :thought:
Sold. :chuckle:

Farmer's 1900s Cornwall diaries going on display​

John James Morris diary

John James Morris started writing his diaries in 1913

Diaries written by a Cornish farmer covering 60 years are to be preserved in an archive after being found in a derelict house.

John James Morris was born in 1894 and started writing his diaries in 1913. He also kept newspaper clippings, letters, food labels and seed packets he bought.

They were found in rubbish near Zelah by a 13-year-old boy and his mother.
The 42 volumes are being given to the Kresen Kernow in Redruth after preservation work was carried out.

John James Morris
Image source, Via Kresen Kernow

John James Morris was born and lived in Lanivet.

The diaries came to light 18 years ago after Jo Poland and her son Cerin investigated the derelict house where a lady who occupied it had died and squatters had been living.

Ms Poland said Cerin found a "classic tin trunk" and said she should "come and have a look".

She said: "We opened it up and there were all these massive tomes ... waiting to go out with the rubbish. I couldn't believe it."
They brought three wheelbarrow-loads back to their nearby home and felt compelled to save them because one had instructions for readers, she said.

John James Morris diary

Seed packets were kept in the diaries.

Mr Morris, who lived his life in Lanivet, near Bodmin, wrote: "Those into whose hands this journal of mine may fall, had better preserve it, as it may be of interest in the years to come''.

"I would give anything to see a journal kept in my grandfather's or great grandfather's time to have a picture of the conditions then, but none were kept by them."

Having been found in Zelah, Jo Poland worked on finding someone in Lanivet who could help her find out more about their writer.

She met Carol Miller and they have been trying to expand his story by meeting people whose families have been mentioned.

Ms Miller said: "John James Morris was an ordinary person who has done something extraordinary".
The pair have also carried fundraising events for work to preserve the diaries, which the Kresen Kernow has agreed to house and ensure they are publicly available.

John James Morris diary

The diaries also include newspaper clippings and other items.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-67121034

line

More drugs washed up on south coast beaches

Four times in a month cocaine worth millions has washed up along the UK’s south coast.

The latest haul – 30kg, worth £2 million – was found by someone on the beach in Goring, West Sussex.

Only two weeks ago, dozens of packages marked POPI containing £1.2 million worth of cocaine were found just down the road in Ferring.
Further parcels have been found in Felpham, Middleton and Selsey, leading to patrols by armed police.

Further down the coast, on October 2, a fisherman found kilos of cocaine floating in the sea near Durdle Door, Dorset.

A group of litter-pickers later stumbled across a second batch on the west coast of the Isle of Wight.

The packages are believed to have been dumped by smugglers in the Solent earlier this month.
1698149216859.png

About as Fortean a solution to a mystery as we could wish for. :bthumbup:

Long story short; publication of a play was funded by a group of subscribers, one of whom was found to have been contacted after their death at a seance attended by the author.

Said author is WB Yeats, often-mentioned and well-beloved on this very board. :cool:

Yeats’ play on sale for £125,000 – thanks to message from the dead

Written in 1886, when Yeats was just 21, Mosada is a short verse play that had a print run of 100. Only 21 are thought to have survived, nine signed.

This one has Yeats’s signature, but also a problematic dedication. It was signed to what for many years was thought to be a “Mrs Zena Powell, from her friend, the author”.

No such person could be found in any records when it came to establishing the provenance of the copy, so Harrington embarked on a bit of detective work before acquiring it.

Yeats scholar Professor Warwick Gould discovered that the inscription was actually to Zena Vowell and that there was a reference to her in a report of a séance almost a century ago.

Original photo from Led Zeppelin IV album cover discovered​

Black and white photo of a thatcher. He has a grey beard and weathered face and is stooping. His hands hold a pole supporting a bundle of hazel on his back.
Image source, Wiltshire Museum, Devizes
The black and white picture was found in a Victorian photo album

A man depicted on the album cover of Led Zeppelin IV has been revealed as a 19th Century thatcher.

The figure is most likely Lot Long from Mere in Wiltshire, photographed by Ernest Farmer.

Brian Edwards, from the University of the West of England (UWE), found the original picture when looking through a photograph album for other research.

"I instantly recognised the man with the sticks - he's often called the stick man," he said.

A long-time fan of British rock band Led Zeppelin, he told BBC Radio Wiltshire "it was quite a revelation".
Wiltshire Museum has since acquired the photograph and plans to include it in an exhibition next year.

Released in 1971, Led Zeppelin IV has sold more than 37 million copies worldwide and includes the huge hit Stairway to Heaven.

Robert Plant singing on stage in front of a mic. Long curly hair, beard, wearing a necklace and a black shirt.

Robert Plant is said to have found a colourised version of the Victorian photo in an antiques shop.

The cover art had previously been described as a photograph of a painting, which was reportedly discovered by the band's lead singer, Robert Plant, in an antique shop near guitarist Jimmy Page's house in Berkshire.

But the framed image which can be seen on the cover is actually a colourised photograph, the whereabouts of which is now unknown.
Mr Edwards - who is part of the regional history centre at UWE in Bristol - explained how he worked out the original photographer was Ernest Farmer, who died in 1944.

The only clue in the photo album was the photographer's name Ernest, but Mr Edwards discovered hundreds of Victorian photographers with that name.

The open album showing four photos - three of houses and one of the thatcher.

Brian Edwards said he instantly recognised the thatcher

He said the quality of the photos suggested they were taken by a professional, and so he looked for chemists, as many of them were involved in photography.

Mr Edwards discovered a chemist working in Salisbury, close to where the picture was taken, who had a son called Ernest Farmer, and then found his handwriting online.

Mr Farmer was the first head of the school of photography at the then newly-renamed Polytechnic Regent Street, now the University of Westminster.

"Part of the signatures matches some of the handwriting in the album," he said.

"The black and white photograph has a thumbprint in the corner - it looks like it's the original," Mr Edwards added.
The photo album mostly contains views and architecture from south Wiltshire and Dorset.

It is titled Reminiscences of a visit to Shaftesbury. Whitsuntide 1892. A present to Auntie from Ernest.

The old photo album open on the first page
Image source, Wiltshire Museum, Devizes

Ernest Farmer gave the photo album to his aunt

Mr Edwards then set about researching thatchers from that time period, and said his research suggested the man pictured was Lot Long, who died in 1893.

Wiltshire Museum's director, David Dawson, said the exhibition in spring next year will be called The Wiltshire Thatcher: a Photographic Journey through Victorian Wessex, and will celebrate Ernest Farmer's work.

"We will show how Farmer captured the spirit of people, villages and landscapes of Wiltshire and Dorset that were so much of a contrast to his life in London.

"It is fascinating to see how this theme of rural and urban contrasts was developed by Led Zeppelin and became the focus for this iconic album cover 70 years later," he said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-67336495

1700330594525.png

Thrift shop De Kringloper in Naarden wonders if there is a precious painting by French expressionist Chaïm Soutine (1893-1943) among the items collected over the past year.

Rob Mulders, former auctioneer and art connoisseur, shows himself impressed. "I knew immediately: áf this is an original painting by Chaïm Soutine, it is worth a lot of money," he told NH News.

But it is not yet clear whether the painting was really painted by Soutine. Because it is also uncertain where the painting came from and whether it might be looted art, De Kringloper has withdrawn it from an auction the company is holding soon. It is temporarily housed in an undisclosed location, reports NH News .

At De Kringloper, as at any thrift shop, stuff arrives by the conveyor belt. Sometimes complete household effects, often also individual 'pieces'. Because items of value are also brought in with some regularity, De Kringloper has been holding an annual auction for 20 years.

Just before such an auction, the shop always calls in the help of an appraiser from the TV programme Tussen Kunst en Kitsch or another expert who assesses whether the items are indeed of value and possibly makes an estimate or price indication. In this case, it was Mulders, who said, with a big chuckle, that the painting could be real. But 100 per cent certainty he could not offer.

Question is what will happen next. Between Art and Kitsch has no experts on Jewish-French artists like Soutine, the programme has informed. The Kringloper is now hard at work looking for an expert to determine the authenticity of the painting, and whether it is art theft.

But that won't be easy. "It's going to take months anyway to find out if it's art theft, and if you want to know if a painting is real, it costs tens of thousands of euros," said store manager Mariette Hoeve. According to her, the shop does not have the budget for that.

https://nos.nl/artikel/2498313-kringloopwinkel-naarden-zit-in-maag-met-mogelijk-kostbaar-schilderij

Kringloper is now hard at work looking for an expert to determine the authenticity of the painting, and whether it is art theft.

In most european countries the police, or some subset of them, or maybe a supraset of them, has a register of thefts in their own country and elsewhere. And if there's a possibility it's war loot then there are even better registers - although they are inevitably, sadly, incomplete.

!04 years overdue.

A library book that is more than a century overdue has finally been returned in St Paul, Minnesota.

Titled Famous Composers and featuring the likes of Bach and Mozart, the tome turned up while someone was sorting through a relative’s belongings. The St Paul Public Library checkout slip shows it was last borrowed in 1919, Minnesota Public Radio reports.

St Paul mayor Melvin Carter joked in a tweet on Saturday that there would be no fine.

The library, like many across the country, stopped charging late fees in 2019.

The future of the book is unsure. John Larson, the St Paul Public Library’s digital library co-ordinator, said he doubts it will go back into circulation because of its delicate condition, but expected the library to hang on to it.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-41272594.html

It was reported that in the Ocean Way area in Cardiff was closed down as police reported the discovery of a WW II bomb.

It is hard to imagine that after all these years WW II bombs are still being found in the UK.

It would be catastrophic if these bombs go off.

It was reported that in the Ocean Way area in Cardiff was closed down as police reported the discovery of a WW II bomb.

It is hard to imagine that after all these years WW II bombs are still being found in the UK.

Indeed. :omg:

Cardiff: Splott roads closed after suspicious item found

Police have closed a number of roads in Cardiff after a suspicious item was discovered.
Emergency services were called to the scene on Titan Road, in the Splott area of the city, on Tuesday afternoon.
South Wales Police said it was seeking the advice of bomb disposal experts.
A cordon is in place and a number of roads are closed in the area, with drivers advised to take alternative routes.

We can't tell from that whether it's a WW2 bomb or some other potentially dangerous item.

It isn't as uncommon as you'd think in the UK .. we still sometimes find them in cliffsides these days amongst other examples ..

Back