• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Seriously Bad Taste Merchandise

"How can we show remembrance and respect to a dead Queen? I know - a blue and gold toy train!"
Made by the same people who made the failed 'steampunk' range perhaps?

"How can we show remembrance and respect to a dead Queen? I know - a blue and gold toy train!"
Made by the same people who made the failed 'steampunk' range perhaps?
Whoever made the "mechanism" such as it is, isn't owning up to it, although the motor is supposedly OK the rest is cheap plastic tat.

I'll wear any new socks I can get. They could have My Little Pony all over them and I wouldn't care. I used to feel sorry when I saw my uncles getting socks as Christmas gifts but now I understand the luxury of new socks.
Was looking through my drawers (quiet at the back there) and found a couple of pairs of super-warm fleecy-lined ultra-warm socks, BNWT, that I was given free at a market stall a year or two ago.
I'd been a good customer there for a while and the bloke was pleased to butter me up!
I showed Techy and he pounced. Poor old cold-footed Techy.

Last edited:
Australian store pulls 'Merry Ham-mas' Christmas bag

Australian store chain Kmart has pulled a festive gift from its website after a complaint from a Jewish group.

_131652892_baginde.jpg

The Christmas food-themed bag featured the pun "ham-mas" in large lettering.

The Australian Jewish Association said it had "politely suggested" it be removed from sale because of the unintentional likeness to Hamas, which is a proscribed terrorist group in Australia and several other countries.

https://apple.news/AkyOes2FtRqaf2i8uSbt26A

maximus otter

Last edited:
I wonder at the nationality of the merchandise designers.
Yup. Reminds me of when a theme park ride called Zyklon was unveiled. Jewish groups protested because the name recalled Zyklon B, the gas used by the Nazis to murder Jewish and other prisoners.

The owner Frank Zaitshik apologised and promised to rename the ride which he'd acquired it with the name already in place. It's the German for 'cyclone'.

Given the current situation in the world today, I can't for a second believe there wasn't some sort of conscious decision
While Germany will have players wearing 4, 14 and possibly 24 at this year's European Championships, none will wear 44. I can't see it being done deliberately. Adidas is too big a company to risk the damage.

The word/name of the shirt on the left, to me, says it is deliberate.

Someone has been messing about. The shirt in the BBC link just says 'name' above the number.
Thanks. I didn't click on the link as I assumed the picture was from the BBC website.

In numerology 44 is the number for wealth so maybe that's the reason Adidas chose that number.

Exactly. Besides, if someone in Germany had done it the U would have an umlaut above it and there would be no E immediately before the H.
It didn't look right and I was too lazy to check out the correct spelling.

Someone has been messing about. The shirt in the BBC link just says 'name' above the number.

Yes, it's the standard template that people can then personalise with a name and choose a number. People were taking advantage of the appearance of the numbers and requesting "44" because it looks like "SS" and adding names like Fuhrer. My guess is those people were mostly British: bad taste humour and associating the Germans with WWII.

Surely this is a non-story based on nonsense.

Here is Adidas's own page on which this shirt can be ordered and personalised. The only available options for personalisation are from a drop-down menu offering a limited selection of German players' names and numbers. There is (obviously) no Fuehrer, although there is a Führich. Not one of the options available even includes a digit 4, let alone 44.

It's a load of hysterical bollocks, made up from start to finish to play to a certain mentality.

maximus otter

While Germany will have players wearing 4, 14 and possibly 24 at this year's European Championships, none will wear 44. I can't see it being done deliberately. Adidas is too big a company to risk the damage.
Adidas founders Adi and Rudi Dassler were members of the Nazi party, joining in 1933 and, during WW2, Adidas was the main supplier of footwear to the Third Reich.

Surely this is a non-story based on nonsense.

Here is Adidas's own page on which this shirt can be ordered and personalised. The only available options for personalisation are from a drop-down menu offering a limited selection of German players' names and numbers. There is (obviously) no Fuehrer, although there is a Führich. Not one of the options available even includes a digit 4, let alone 44.

It's a load of hysterical bollocks, made up from start to finish to play to a certain mentality.

maximus otter
I clicked on the link and you are now correct but originally, Adidas did have a shirt with 44 on it.

Back