• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Perseids (Perseid Meteor Shower)

KeyserXSoze

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
http://www.space.com/spacewatch/040806_perseid_guide.html
Every August, when many people are vacationing in the country where skies are dark, the best-known meteor shower makes its appearance. The annual Perseid meteor shower, as it is called, promised to put on an above average display this year.

The event is also known as "The Tears of St. Lawrence."

Laurentius, a Christian deacon, is said to have been martyred by the Romans in 258 AD on an iron outdoor stove. It was in the midst of this torture that Laurentius cried out: "I am already roasted on one side and, if thou wouldst have me well cooked, it is time to turn me on the other."

The saint’s death was commemorated on his feast day, Aug. 10. King Phillip II of Spain built his monastery place the "Escorial," on the plan of the holy gridiron. And the abundance of shooting stars seen annually between approximately Aug. 8 and 14 have come to be known as St. Lawrence’s "fiery tears."

Behind the tears

We know today that these meteors are actually the dross of the Swift-Tuttle comet. Discovered back in 1862, this comet takes approximately 130 years to circle the Sun. With each pass, it leaves fresh debris -- mostly the size of sand grains with a few peas and marbles tossed in.

Every year during mid-August, when the Earth passes close to the orbit of Swift-Tuttle, the bits and pieces ram into our atmosphere at approximately 37 miles per second (60 kps) and create bright streaks of light.

According to the best estimates, in 2004 the Earth is predicted to cut through the densest part of the Perseid stream sometime around 7 a.m. ET on Thursday, Aug. 12. Activity could be high for a few hours on either side of that time.

The late-night hours of Wednesday, Aug. 11, on through the first light of dawn on the morning holds the promise of seeing a very fine Perseid display. The bright light of a Full Moon almost totally wrecked last year’s shower, but this year it will be a lovely crescent, about 3½ days before New phase. Moreover, it will not rise until around 2:30 a.m. local daylight time on the morning of the12th, hovering to the east of brilliant Venus.

Possible bonus

Comet Swift-Tuttle made its most recent appearance nearly a dozen years ago, in December 1992. Its orbit is highly elongated, taking roughly 130 years to make one trip around the Sun.

For several years before and after its 1992 return, the Perseids were a far more prolific shower, appearing to produce brief outbursts of as many as several hundred meteors per hour, many of which were dazzlingly bright and spectacular. The most likely reason was that the Perseids parent comet was itself passing through the inner solar system and that the streams of Perseid meteoroids in the comet’s vicinity were larger and more thickly clumped together.

In recent years, with the comet now far back out in space, Perseid activity has apparently returned to normal. However, two well-known meteor astronomers now suggest that the 2004 Perseids may yet provide some surprises.

Esko Lyytinen of Finland and Tom Van Flandern of Washington, D.C. have made calculations concerning extradense filaments of dust trailing well behind Comet Swift-Tuttle. From their studies they conclude that the Perseids may put on unusually strong, albeit brief display this year.

Lyytinen and Van Flandern believe that this year the Earth will pass through a trail of debris shed by Comet Swift-Tuttle during its 1862 visit. The closest that Earth will come to the center of this debris trail will be 123,000 miles (200,000 kilometers).

The time of the closest approach should be 4:50 p.m. ET (20:50 GMT) on Aug. 11 and could last about 40 minutes, favoring observers in Eastern Europe, eastern North Africa eastward to central Russia, India, and western China. Unfortunately, if a sudden bevy of Perseids materializes, North Americans would miss out, since it happen during local afternoon hours. "I would expect a short peak of a few hundred meteors per hour, though they should be mostly faint," said Lyytinen.

Viewers should keep in mind that meteor forecasting is a tricky business, however.

What to expect

A very good shower will produce about one meteor per minute for a given observer under a dark country sky. Any light pollution or moonlight considerably reduces the count.

The August Perseids are among the strongest of the readily observed annual meteor showers, and at maximum activity nominally yield 50 or 60 meteors per hour. However, observers with exceptional skies often record even larger numbers. Typically during an overnight watch, the Perseids are capable of producing several bright, flaring and fragmenting meteors, which leave fine trains in their wake.

On the night of shower maximum, the Perseid radiant is not far from the famous "Double Star Cluster" of Perseus. Low in the northeast during the early evening, it rises higher in the sky until morning twilight ends observing. Perseid meteors can appear anywhere in the sky, but if traced backward, they all point toward Perseus, which is know as the shower's radiant.

Shower members appearing close to the radiant have foreshortened tracks; those appearing farther away are often brighter, have longer tracks, and move faster across the sky. About five to 10 of the meteors seen in any given hour will not fit this geometric pattern, and may be classified as sporadic or as members of some other (minor) shower.

As with meteor activity in general, Perseid activity increases sharply in the hours after midnight, so plan your observing times accordingly. We are then looking more nearly face-on into the direction of the Earth’s motion as it orbits the Sun, and the radiant is also higher up. [See a Graphic]

Making a meteor count is as simple as lying in a lawn chair or on the ground and marking on a clipboard whenever a "shooting star" is seen. Watching for the Perseids consists of lying back, gazing up into the stars, and waiting. It is customary to watch the point halfway between the radiant (which will be rising in the northeast sky) and the zenith (the imaginary point directly overhead) though its fine for your gaze to wander.

Counts should be made on several nights before and after the predicted maximum, so the behavior of the shower away from its peak can be determined. Usually, good numbers of meteors should be seen on the preceding and following nights as well. The shower is generally at one-quarter strength one or two nights before and after maximum.

A few Perseids can be seen as much as two weeks before and a week after the peak, though casual viewers may not find meteor watching very rewarding on such nights. The extreme limits of the Perseids are said to extend from July 17 to Aug. 24.

Take a picture

The Perseids are also an excellent meteor display to attempt to photograph. Meteor photography is popular and can be carried out with practically any camera. However, the chance of recording a meteor is enhanced by using a fast lens (f 2.8 or better) and ultrafast film (ISO 400 to 1600). It makes no difference whether the camera is clock-driven or fixed on a tripod.

In a dark sky, exposures of 10 to 20 minutes long can be made, but should be kept much shorter if background light threatens to fog the film. Slight moonlight, twilight or city glow can be tolerated, as they have little to do with the efficiency of a particular lens-film combination in recording bright meteors.

A successful photograph has many added values if an observer has witnessed and described the same meteor. Also, the chance of obtaining a good meteor picture can be increased by pointing the camera well away from the radiant.
I hope the skies are clear!

That's me in the hammock all night then. ;)

I met my wife on a journey out into the Pennines to watch the Perseids; about six or seven of us left the pub, and I saw a meteor; we all piled into an old car and went up into the hills around Ladybower, and watched them til two oclock in the morning.

Another time I was watching them in the back garden, and the chap next door started watching them too; when he tried to get back in his house he had been locked out by his little old dad.

Tonight's the night

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/perseid_facts_040810-1.html
1. Perseid meteoroids (which is what they're called while in space) are fast. They enter Earth's atmosphere (and are then called meteors) at roughly 133,200 mph (60 kilometers per second) relative to the planet. Most are the size of sand grains; a few are as big as peas or marbles. Almost none hit the ground, but if one does, it's called a meteorite.

2. Comet Swift-Tuttle, whose debris creates the Perseids, is the largest object known to make repeated passes near Earth. Its nucleus is about 6 miles (9.7 kilometers) across, roughly equal to the object that wiped out the dinosaurs.

Good thing it isn't going to hit us. And on that note ...

3. Back in the early 1990s, astronomer Brian Marsden calculated that Swift-Tuttle might actually hit Earth in the year 2026. More observations quickly eliminated all possibility of a collision. Marsden found, however, that the comet and Earth might experience a cosmic near miss (about a million miles) in 3044.

4. When a Perseid particle enters the atmosphere, it compresses the air in front of it, which heats up. The meteor, in turn, can be heated to more than 3,000 degrees Fahrenheit (1,650 Celsius). The intense heat vaporizes most meteors, creating what we call shooting stars. Most become visible at around 60 miles up (97 kilometers). Some large meteors splatter, causing a brighter flash called a fireball, and sometimes an explosion that can often be heard from the ground.

5. Comet Swift-Tuttle has many comet kin. Most originate in the distant Oort cloud, which extends nearly halfway to the next star. The vast majority never visit the inner solar system. But a few, like Swift-Tuttle, have been gravitationally booted onto new trajectories, possibly by the gravity of a passing star long ago.

6. Perseid meteoroids (and if you've been following along, you know these are things in space before they hit Earth's atmosphere) are anywhere from 60 to 100 miles apart, even at the densest part of the river of debris left behind by comet Swift-Tuttle. That river, in fact, is more like many streams, each deposited during a different pass of the comet on its 130-year orbit around the Sun. The material drifts through space and, in fact, orbits the Sun on roughly the same path as the comet while also spreading out over time.

7. As Earth rotates, the side facing the direction of its orbit around the Sun tends to scoop up more space debris. This part of the sky is directly overhead at dawn. For this reason, the Perseids and other meteor showers (and also random shooting stars in general) are usually best viewed in the predawn hours.

8. Comet Swift-Tuttle was last seen in 1992, an unspectacular pass through the inner solar system that required binoculars to enjoy. Prior to that, it had last been seen in the year it was "discovered" by American astronomers Lewis Swift and Horace Tuttle, 1862. Abraham Lincoln was President.

9. Swift-Tuttle's orbit has been traced back nearly 2,000 years and is now thought to be the same comet that was observed in 188 AD and possibly even as early as 69 BC.

10. Swift-Tuttle is due back in 2126 (as you know now, it won't hit us) and astronomers think it might become a spectacular naked-eye comet like Hale-Bopp. If historical calculations are correct (see Fact #9) then the 2126 appearance will mark the comet's 3rd millennium of human observation, assuming someone is in fact around to see it.

I usually spend hours in the garden at night this time of year watching (and listening to) the perseids. Won't be able to this year- no garden and sandwiched between two big cities with all their lights :(

Yup, they..............whoosh. :)

I will be out in t'garden hammock tonight. We usually see a lot here.

I'm guessing that in London i've got no chance... :(

Stargazers set sights on meteors
By James Urquhart

Shooting stars are set to grace the night sky with a spectacular light display this weekend.

The annual Perseid meteor shower will reach its peak during the early hours of Monday, but it will be visible from Saturday night until Tuesday morning.

The celestial show will be most apparent in the north-eastern part of the sky near the Perseus constellation.

If the skies remain clear, it will offer stargazers the best opportunity for a few years to see the Perseids.

The shower this year coincides with a new Moon, providing sky watchers with the dark skies necessary for excellent observing conditions.

"If we're lucky, on Sunday night and Monday morning we might see as many as 100 meteors an hour," said Dr Robert Massey from the UK's Royal Astronomical Society. "But the usual caveat applies: you still need good weather."

The best viewing conditions will be where the sky is clearest and darkest. However, meteors should be visible, to a lesser degree, in cities despite light pollution and smog.

"You will see them almost wherever you are, so it's worth a look," Dr Massey added.

Both hemispheres will receive good views but the prime locations will be Western Europe and North America.

Watchers will get the best of the display from about 2200 BST (2100 GMT) on Sunday 12 August, which will peak just before sunrise on Monday 13 August.

Tiny particles

The annual Perseid showers are caused by small bits of debris, many no bigger than a grain of sand, that enter the Earth's atmosphere when our orbit passes through the tail of the Swift-Tuttle comet.

These particles travel at very high speeds, reaching up to 50 kilometres per second (32 miles per second), and burn up in the atmosphere.

This causes the air around them to get extremely hot, which produces the streak of light that we see.

"It's a spectacular phenomenon that everyone can enjoy. The great thing is that you don't need any equipment apart from your eyes," Dr Massey said.

"It's a laid back form of astronomy. You can go outside, look up at the sky and enjoy it. And that's really what it's about."

As an added bonus, watchers should be able to see Mars, which will be in view as a bright red dot in the eastern sky after midnight.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6940962.stm

I am looking forward to the Persid shower this weekend however I guess it will mirror every other attempt I've made to see a meteor shower to date...

Lovely cloudless conditions all day long...keeps popping outside into back garden at half hourly intervals EVEN though I know it doesn’t start till some god awful time in the wee hours.

Go to bed for a bit of kip and set alarm...cant get to sleep go back downstairs and resume coffee drinking and popping outside routine.

Exactly half an hour before the main event starts, watch in horror as thick impenetrable clouds roll over head obscuring the view for the rest of the night.

Go to bed and wonder why I do this every time.

I was outside a half hour again and saw a couple of small streaks in the sky. One low down in the East and one in the region of Cassiopeia.

Should be better tomorrow and Monday, if the sky's clear.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6940962.stm

Stargazers set sights on meteors
BBC News Online. By James Urquhart . 10 August 2007

Shooting stars are set to grace the night sky with a spectacular light display this weekend.

The annual Perseid meteor shower will reach its peak during the early hours of Monday, but it will be visible from Saturday night until Tuesday morning.

The celestial show will be most apparent in the north-eastern part of the sky near the Perseus constellation.

If the skies remain clear, it will offer stargazers the best opportunity for a few years to see the Perseids.

The shower this year coincides with a new Moon, providing sky watchers with the dark skies necessary for excellent observing conditions.

Keep watching the skies! ;)

I saw few last night, doesn't look as thought it'll be as clear tonight.

Unfortunately fell asleep lying on a blanket on the patio, woke up at 04;30 feeling more than a little stiff....

I met my wife while watching the Perseids, so they have a certain sentimental value for me (as in- goodbye freedom...)
Been watching for them the last few nights without success- probably cloudy tonight, so unlikely to see the main event. But others might be lucky- they are certainly spectacular sometimes. A bright, fairly longlived meteor every 60 seconds or so is quite usual.

Ho hum, total cloud cover here at the mo, fingers crosse it'll clear later.

I intended to stay awake last night too, but must have dozed off just after 12 (we'd had a BBQ and everyone had pushed off by about then) and then I woke up to the BBC3 test card at 4ish :(.

Now, we're alternating totally blue sky with almost total cloud cover here, with about an hour's turnover time. Worth a gamble? I've got a bit of a drive tomorrow, so I'll see how awake I feel later on...

Excellent, the sky is completely clear, saw three in as many minutes.

The most spectacular ones I saw were on Saturday night. One huge orange fireball, and one long white streak, taking up about a third of the sky. Only saw a few on Sunday night Monday morning, and they weren't as good. Couldn't stay up too late though because of work the next day.

I'm guessing London isn't the best place to be observing them from though!

Any chance of there being a few tonight do you think?

Perseids heads-up

I'm going to have watch if the Sky is clear...

Skywatchers set for meteor shower
Skygazers are preparing for the high point of the annual Perseid meteor shower.

The shower, which reaches its peak on Wednesday, occurs when the Earth passes through a stream of dusty debris from the comet Swift-Tuttle.

As this cometary "grit" strikes our atmosphere, it burns up, often creating streaks of light across the sky.

The meteors appear to come from a point called a "radiant" in the constellation of Perseus - hence the name Perseid.

"Earth passes through the densest part of the debris stream sometime on 12 August. Then, you could see dozens of meteors per hour," said Bill Cooke of Nasa's meteoroid environment office.

No special equipment is required to watch the sky show. Astronomers say binoculars might help, but will also restrict the view to a small part of the sky.

The Perseids can appear in any part of the sky, but their tails all point back to the radiant in the constellation Perseus.

Stargazers are advised to lie on a blanket or a reclining chair to get the best view.

PERSEID METEOR SHOWER

The tails of the Perseids point back to a "radiant" in the constellation Perseus
They can appear anywhere in the sky
Composed of dusty debris from Comet Swift-Tuttle

Budding astronomers are being urged to take part in the first "Twitter Meteorwatch". Astronomers from around the world will be live-tweeting images of the meteors, as well as pictures of the Moon, Jupiter and other celestial objects.

The "48-hour Twitter marathon" will form part of the International Year of Astronomy 2009 (IYA2009).

NATIONAL TRUST'S SEVEN BEST UK SITES

Black Down in Sussex
Teign Valley in Devon
Penbryn Beach in Wales
Stonehenge Landscape in Wiltshire
Wicken Fen National Nature Reserve in Cambridgeshire
Mam Tor in Derbyshire
Friar's Crag in Cumbria
In the UK, the best times to see the Perseids are likely to be on the morning of 12 August before dawn and from late evening on the 12th through to the early hours of the 13 August.

This year, light from the last quarter Moon will interfere significantly with the view.

The UK's National Trust has published online guides to seven top Perseid viewing sites, including coastal spots, nature reserves and national parks.

Jo Burgon, head of access and recreation at the Trust, said: "Light pollution from our towns and cities has increased so much in recent years, but head out to the countryside for the perfect place to explore the beauty of the night sky, away from the intrusive glow."

The rock and dust fragments which cause the shower were left behind by Comet Swift-Tuttle when it last came near the Sun.

The comet orbits the Sun once every 130 years and last swept through the inner Solar System in 1992.

Send your pictures to [email protected] or text them to 61124 . If you have a large file you can upload here.

Read the terms and conditions

At no time should you endanger yourself or others, take any unnecessary risks or infringe any laws.

A selection of your comments may be published, displaying your name and location unless you state otherwise in the box below.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/s ... 193769.stm

Published: 2009/08/11 14:40:33 GMT

© BBC MMIX

Perseid meteor shower set for shooting stars show over UK skies
Astronomers predict dazzling display from at least 10 shooting stars an hour, even in areas of light pollution
Ian Sample, science correspondent The Guardian, Thursday 12 August 2010

Astronomers are predicting a dazzling display of shooting stars tonight as the Perseid meteor shower reaches a peak in activity.

The celestial light show is one of the highlights of the astronomical calendar and this year is expected to one of the best in recent history. The bright streaks of light are caused by tiny particles of debris left by a comet hurtling into the atmosphere at 135,000mph. The particles range from the size of a grain of sand to a pea and create white-hot streaks of superheated air when they burn up.

Perseids can appear in any part of the sky, with the brightest sailing across the heavens for a few seconds before fading away. About 60 to 100 shooting stars an hour are expected to be visible at about 11pm in parts of Britain where the skies are dark and free of clouds. In cities, where light pollution obscures much of the night sky, astronomers anticipate about 10 shooting stars an hour will be bright enough to be seen. Only two days after a new moon, there will be little moonlight to affect viewing.

The meteors are called the Perseids because they appear to come from the constellation Perseus, between Taurus and the distinctive W-shape of Cassiopeia. The shower is due to peak this evening, but will continue into the early hours of Friday morning.

"Relax, be patient, and let your eyes adapt to the dark. With a little luck you'll see a shooting star every minute or so on average," said Robert Naeye, editor of Sky and Telescope magazine.

The Perseid meteors appear in August every year, when the Earth moves through the trail of the Swift-Tuttle comet, which last passed close to the sun in 1992.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/ ... ting-stars

Sadly, a cloudy night is forecast here... :(

rynner2 said:
[

Sadly, a cloudy night is forecast here... :(

I know, AGAIN :( It's been cloudy for both the Perseids and the Leonids for about 3 damn years now...
I managed to see two last year; TWO! Rubbish.
I'll be out looking anyway and keeping my fingers crossed; it was clear last night, but I didn't see any :(

Tonight's supposed to be good if the clouds disperse, which I doubt they'll do. :(

really cloudy in north london so i have no chance. :(

Skies are clearing here in Hertfordshire so I should have a good chance of seeing some. I always look out for them, and the Geminids, Leonids etc. Not always lucky enough to see any, but I have been lucky enough on a few occasions to see some spectacular 'shooting stars'.
It's a shame they whizz across the sky so quickly though - you have to be looking straight at them to see them really. I had friends around one year when it was quite clear, and all we heard eachother say was 'I just saw a good one' ...lol

Dramatic 'supermoon' and Perseid meteor shower to light up night skies on Sunday
The Perseid meteor shower – which is 'rich in fireballs as bright as Jupiter or Venus' – will coincide with a supermoon in one of the most anticipated events on the skywatcher's calendar
By Alice Philipson
2:26PM BST 08 Aug 2014

A 'supermoon' will light up the night sky on Sunday as it coincides with a meteor shower in one of the most dramatic events on the astronomical calendar.

The moon will be at its biggest and brightest for 20 years as it reaches the point in its orbit closest to Earth – known as perigee – at the same time as it becomes full.

Two days later, the Perseid meteor shower will reach its peak – producing "fireballs as bright as Jupiter or Venus".
Given a dark, clear sky in a normal year, it is common to see more than 100 of the meteors an hour during the second week in August.
However, astronomers warned the lunar glare from the supermoon could make the meteor shower difficult to see.
Dr Bill Cooke from the American space agency Nasa's Meteoroid Environment Office, said that "lunar glare wipes out the black-velvety backdrop required to see faint meteors, and sharply reduces counts".

But all is not lost. The debris stream left by comet Swift-Tuttle, which produces the Perseids, is wide, so the shooting stars could make an appearance well before the moon becomes full.

Supermoons occur relatively often, on average every 13 months and 18 days, and coincidentally this summer will see three in short succession. An unusually bright full supermoon was also seen on July 12, and another is due to appear on September 9.

But the supermoon of Sunday promises to be the most dramatic since this is when the moon will be at its closest point to the Earth all year.
In fact, perigee will occur just 26 minutes before the moon officially reaches its full phase at 6.10pm GMT (7.10pm BST) on August 10. The two phenomena will not occur so close together again until 2034 – potentially making Sunday's supermoon the biggest and brightest of the next 20 years.

However, the difference in distance between Earth and the moon from last month’s supermoon will be no more than a few hundred miles, meaning the variation in size will be impossible to see with the naked eye.
At perigee, the moon is around 31,000 miles closer than when it is furthest away from the Earth and will be up to 14% bigger and 30% brighter than other full moons during the year.

Dr Robert Massey, of the Royal Astronomical Society, said skywatchers would "certainly notice the moon will be bigger in the sky compared with normal" and said the most spectacular views in the UK would be seen from Northern Scotland, where the moon would appear lowest on the horizon.

Tony Markham, director of the Society for Popular Astronomy's meteor section, urged skywatchers keen to see the Perseids to stay optimistic.
"The Perseids are rich in bright meteors and so many Perseids will still be seen despite the moonlit sky background," he said, writing on the SPA's website.
"You can minimise the effect of the moonlight by observing with your back to the moon – possibly viewing the Cassiopeia/Cepheus/Ursa Minor area.
"If possible, keep the moon hidden behind trees or a nearby building.
"
He pointed out that at this time of year the moon is relatively close to the horizon, leaving much of the sky dark.

Mr Markham also suggested looking at an area of sky 20 to 30 degrees away from the Perseid radiant – the spot near the constellation of Perseus that the meteors appear to fly out from.

Every 133 years, comet Swift-Tuttle swings through the inner Solar System leaving behind a trail of dust.
When the Earth passes through, the dust cloud particles hit the atmosphere at 140,000 mph and burn up in streaking flashes of light, creating the spectacle known as the Perseids.

The best time to see the meteors is between Saturday and Wednesday, with activity peaking on Tuesday.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthn ... unday.html

Let's hope clouds associated with Bertha don't blot out the sky. But from today's lunchtime forecast, most of southern UK should be clear by Sunday evening. :D

And here we go again with the Perseids.
As long as we get clear skies, and dark nights, (like the forecast for tonight and with the moon almost dark) we should be able to see quite a few.

"...One of the most "dramatic" meteor showers of the year is starting tonight, offering stargazers in the northern hemisphere a chance to see dozens of very fast and bright meteors."
"....begins on 16 July and will grow in intensity until 12 August, then declining around 23 August."
https://news.sky.com/story/dramatic...e-perseids-in-the-uk-until-23-august-12357048

And here we go again with the Perseids.
As long as we get clear skies, and dark nights, (like the forecast for tonight and with the moon almost dark) we should be able to see quite a few.

"...One of the most "dramatic" meteor showers of the year is starting tonight, offering stargazers in the northern hemisphere a chance to see dozens of very fast and bright meteors."
"....begins on 16 July and will grow in intensity until 12 August, then declining around 23 August."
https://news.sky.com/story/dramatic...e-perseids-in-the-uk-until-23-august-12357048
Should get a good view tonight :)

I met my wife on a journey out into the Pennines to watch the Perseids; about six or seven of us left the pub, and I saw a meteor; we all piled into an old car and went up into the hills around Ladybower, and watched them til two oclock in the morning.
Another time I was watching them in the back garden, and the chap next door started watching them too; when he tried to get back in his house he had been locked out by his little old dad.
This was me, by the way, back on the old version of the site in 2004. (The Ladybower trip happened right back in 1978.)

Don't be discouraged if you don't see many tonight- the show gets better in August, usually.

Yep.

We have another clear night tonight. And the forecast is looking pretty clear for the next few days too (maybe some storms on Monday).

We should try to update our sightings ongoing as we reach the peak on August 12-14.

I was stood in my back garden at about 1030 last night and saw a very distinct trace but I was not looking straight at it (it was quite a bit off to my right but still in my field of vision) so I felt like I couldn't be certain......damn.

Yep.

We have another clear night tonight. And the forecast is looking pretty clear for the next few days too (maybe some storms on Monday).

We should try to update our sightings ongoing as we reach the peak on August 12-14.

I was stood in my back garden at about 1030 last night and saw a very distinct trace but I was not looking straight at it (it was quite a bit off to my right but still in my field of vision) so I felt like I couldn't be certain......damn.
I spent s couple of hours, up til about 1am ladt night sitting in the garden drinking beer and staring at the stars, saw a couple of satillites and toothless chasing moths, but no meteors, will keep looking :)

So every evening I have spent about 15-20 minutes outside after 11pm, clear nights, no clear sightings though, only (so far) the one that was a 'maybe' that I mentioned previously.
At the time of writing this, the weather forecast for the next week here does hardly look conducive to seeing any at all.
We appear to have it cloudy, rainy, and at times thundery for the next few days, with Wednesday being the only day that looks a little clearer.

Back