• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Seeing Unexpected / Non-Present Figures or Scenes in a Mirror

A

Anonymous

Mirrors are the worst. Ever since I saw a movie where the character was alone in the bathroom, looked at the mirroe and saw the face of a woman reflected behind him, I've been nervous about them Hollywood has a lot to answer for.

Or the mirror scene in "Jacob's Ladder". I admit I was only a lad when I saw it, but it certainly gave me the creeps.

Peter Birchwood said:
Mirrors are the worst. Ever since I saw a movie where the character was alone in the bathroom, looked at the mirroe and saw the face of a woman reflected behind him, I've been nervous about them Hollywood has a lot to answer for.

I've long been curious as to why so many apparitions are seen as reflections, or without facial features. Pondering the question, I decided that this would pose less of a strain on a percipient' imaging system - basically by reducing the computational demand for detail or full image parallax, as when a individual is clearly observed in three dimensional space.

Mirrors have long been used to contact the dead. Raymond Moody jnr, author of the NDE books, wrote one on the subject, showing the historical precedents of the use of polished surfaces and crystals for divination and spirit contact.

Personally, I felt he had gone overboard in recommending the procedure to bereaved persons as a means of seeing their loved ones again. However, the technique is simple - a dimly lit room, and a mirror which is stared into obliquely to take in part of the neutral background of the room.
After a while (when the Unconscious takes over, I suspect), people often report seeing the loved one of choice framed in the mirror, ostensibly standing behind them.
Personally, as I suggest, I feel it's more likely a wish fulfillment kind of thing, and you're just as likely to see a fantasy figure as a deceased loved one. Having said that, considering the propensity also of the Jungian Unconscious to be a gateway for the dark archetypes of the ID (aka Ouija boards) , I think it advisible to pretty much leave the whole thing alone.

Hermes, you have brought back memories of my teenage years, I had read about the effects you talk about regarding mirrors and together with a friend gave it a try, the trick was to stare at your face in the mirror without blinking,believe me it really freaked us out as we both saw wiered alliens staring back at us.
Give it a try if you dare.:monster:

p.younger said:
Hermes, you have brought back memories of my teenage years, I had read about the effects you talk about regarding mirrors and together with a friend gave it a try, the trick was to stare at your face in the mirror without blinking,believe me it really freaked us out as we both saw wiered alliens staring back at us.
Give it a try if you dare.:monster:

I tried it, PY, the only thing I noticed was that I have one eyebrow higher than the other (strange, I never noticed that before . . .:confused: )

Carole

Talking about mirrors, I once stayed in a Scottish castle which had been converted into an hotel. There was one hallway which had huge mirrors on either side and I used to fairly race through it on the way to my room, lest I see somethng untoward:eek:

Carole

BTW, why are vampires supposed to have no reflection? If it's cause they're not alive, then do people see ghosts in mirrors?

Carole

The reason why vampires do not appear in mirrors is that they have no soul. Ghosts are simply disembodied souls, so they of course can appear in mirrors.

-Crusoe

Crusoe said:
The reason why vampires do not appear in mirrors is that they have no soul. Ghosts are simply disembodied souls, so they of course can appear in mirrors.

-Crusoe

OIC. But what happens to the souls of people who have been bitten by vampires and thus become vampires themselves??:confused:

Carole

Crusoe said:

-Crusoe

Or is it because vampires do not exist (not of the ilk of our friend Drac) and therefore can, in their fictional world do (or not do) exactly as they like); whereas ghosts are at least a reported - arguably 'real' - phenomenon?

As for mirrors, I hate them (and not just because I'm irredeemably unattractive :)) I remember one time I was laying in bed, and there was a full length mirror on the other side of the room. I saw myself get out of bed and stand up, even though I hadn't moved!
It was probably just because i was in bed and drifting into sleep, but it freaked me out at the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, here's another weird story that I heard from one of my friends. I wish I could have experienced this!

My friend, Anna, was working as an English teacher in Budapest between 1992 and 1994. She had a flat in an oldish (perhaps 1930's) apartment block. The furniture, apparently, looked like it had been there since the place was built - all very solid wooden stuff. In her dining room, there was a large antique mirror, and it was this that was the spooky thing. Anna swears blind that at certain times of the day, usually between 2 and 4 in the afternoon, anyone looking in it would see not just themselves, but a group of six or seven soldiers in the room with them! The soldiers were wearing, according to her, 'first world war - type uniforms' and had old type rifles. The mirror always showed the same thing: The men were relaxing around a table, eating and chatting, while one of them looked anxiously out of the window. And that was it.
Now what the H is that about?
Sadly, the mirror got broken by a visitor to the flat who got freaked out by what he saw. Bugger.:eek!!!!:

Hello,

I've often been told that mirrors are portals. I know alot of superstitious people who will not sleep in a room with two or more mirrors.

WW

When I was about 17 me and my mates did a "Ouija session" for a laugh. It may be that what followed was directly caused by this, or possibly just prompted by our very-spooked state of mind.

One of the guys and me had identical dreams the following night! Now isn't that odd? We'd have thought that to be a curious enough phenomenon, but the real twist was the content. Both of us dreamed that we woke up in the night, sat up in bed and looked in the mirror on the wall directly opposite the bed (which my mate really had in his room, but I didn't).

In the mirror, each of us saw our own face, and standing behind, as if looking "over my shoulder" into the mirror, a woman dressed in an exquisite silk kimono, but with a horribly burned face.

In reality, it would have been impossible for anyone to "stand behind" like this, with each of us sitting up in bed - a bed with its head against the wall in the usual way.

The next morning I took all mirrors out of my room. After that I was rather uneasy about mirrors in bedrooms for about 10 years.

Ok, this might be the best place to recount my friends story, which gave me the heebies. This happened when she was about 4yrs old but she was adamant that the story has burned itself into her memory because of its scaryness.
This happened in Cameroon, at nursery school. She went to the loo and when finished, she washed her hands. The mirror was slightly too high, she remembered that she had to stand on tiptoes to look into it [at this moment I have the feeling that I wrote this story already, maybe in another thread...ah what the heck, saves everyone the search].
Anyway, the door behind her was closed and there was nobody else in the toilets [this being a very small school and all the kids and teacher still in the classroom]. When suddenly a man appeared in the mirror behind her and ssid [not shouted] "Boo!"
As she turned round in shock, there was nobody there. Door still closed etc.

I thought it important that she didn't think of a ghost at first, mainly because she didn't know about them. Therefore she was just scared from the suddenness but found it very confusing that there was nobody in the toilets with her, no noises,no opening doors etc.
She said that she can still remember him, he had scary white eyes and was very tall and very dark skinned [darker than cameroonians] and wasn't funny at all.

She then ran out and back to her class, telling her teacher. I can't remember what happened next but basically there was only one male ever at that school, he was the caretaker and looked completely different and was known to her.
Only years later someone suggested that it might have been a ghost and THAT shat her up big time as she relived the scene...

Just tho9ught I'll share this story because of the mirror involved.

I had a problem with my bathroom mirror up until just recently. To start at the begining of the story we had our flat improved by the landlord. This means that the kitchen was extended into the space the bathroom ccupied and one of the bedrooms was converted to a new bigger bathroom. A mirrored bathroom cabinet was put up abovehe sink in the new bathroom.
This is when i noiced i had a problem with the new bathroom. I noticed that i felt uncomfortable in front of he sink. If i was brushing my teeth i would avoid looking into the mirror. It felt like there was something behind me that didn't want me in there. It go so bad that i started to use the sink from the side, looking out of the window, so i couldn't look in this mirror.
I mentioned it to my Husband only to find that he had the same feeling in the bathroom. This went on for some months and we were talking about cleansing the new bathroom, burning some sage or something but the solution was much simpler than that.
I had put up a shaving mirror on the wall opposite the mirrored cabinet when the room was first converted. You couldn't see the shaving mirror if you looked in the mirrored front of the cabinet but we knew it was there. I decided to take the shaving mirror down. I think i might have heard something about facing mirrors being bad in some way. We haven't felt any bad feelings in the bathroom since.

When I was a kid my Mum told me if you look in a mirror long enough that you will see the Devil peering over your shoulder. Been scared of them ever since which is a real bugger especially for squeezing spots or blackhead mining.

At my middle school (Yorkshire, early 1990s) there was a superstition that if you stood in front of a certain mirror in the toilets and chanted "Jack Kendle, Jack Kendle, Jack Kendle" you'd see the devil in the mirror - or possibly see your own eyes turn red, I can't remember.

I've always wondered why it was the name Jack Kendle. Is anyone else familiar with this? Did it maybe come from a film or something?

levantateymira said:
At my middle school (Yorkshire, early 1990s) there was a superstition that if you stood in front of a certain mirror in the toilets and chanted "Jack Kendle, Jack Kendle, Jack Kendle" you'd see the devil in the mirror - or possibly see your own eyes turn red, I can't remember.

I've always wondered why it was the name Jack Kendle. Is anyone else familiar with this? Did it maybe come from a film or something?

We had that at my junior school (Bucks, late 80s) but I can't remember what it was you were meant to say. I always found something unsettling about the toilets in schools when you were alone. Perhaps it is the silence in what is an otherwise noisy place, or just as child being in a room alone. Dunno, always spooked me a bit though.

At my secondary school in Oxfordshire we had an identical thang, it involved repeating the name Jack Candle three times infront of the boy's toilet mirror. The devil would be released by this action but not necessarily viewed in the mirror, moreover the devil would appear at an unspecified later time. How we knew these intricacies I don't know.

Back