• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. pelgrane

People Who Feel Wrong

I found that to be one of the more amusing bizarre situations in lockdown - that to enter the bank you had to dress like a bank robber. My stepdad forgot his mask one day and Lloyds wouldn't let him in until he wrapped a bandana around his face....
  2. pelgrane

Weird Sex (Practices, Preferences & Accoutrements!)

Indoors as well I bet. So super posh.
  3. pelgrane

Atheism

That was a slightly tongue in cheek response as to why, as Vardoger said, there is nothing inherently strange in atheists forming organisations to protect their rights.
  4. pelgrane

Atheism

Well .. the Church of England did have a thing for torturing atheists to death and setting fire to them - which you could see as assailing their rights. A while back and past persecution on religious grounds during the reign of Queen Elizabeth I is no guarantee of future religious persecution...
  5. pelgrane

Where Does Dirt Come From?

Indeed. Anything heavier than helium was born in a star, I have read. Which I find just... words fail at the implications.
  6. pelgrane

The 15-Minute City Conspiracy

And to be fair, if they did it in that order, then it's possible that there would not need to be punitive measures to discourage car use as it would become a relatively less agreeable option anyway. Oops sorry this post was replying to the one before Trevp666's.
  7. pelgrane

The 15-Minute City Conspiracy

Bristol is quite an interesting example in so far as (in my opinion), the stick has been used to deter car use (congestion charge, very little and very expensive car parking) but not the carrot (public transport is woeful and still being cut back) to encourage alternatives. There is the point...
  8. pelgrane

Missing In Action: Members Who've Gone Silent / Haven't Been Seen For Some Time

Hi Giant R, is the old site findable on the way back machine (internet archive)? If so maybe you could retrieve some of the content to save you having to start from scratch e.g. with taking the photos.
  9. pelgrane

UAPs Over North America (February 2023)

Has anyone read WASP by Eric Frank Russell? Now that is the kind of transaction that the protagonist would approve of :)
  10. pelgrane

Is The God Of The Old Testament The Same As The God Of The New?

Mathematics, it has been suggested.
  11. pelgrane

Ghost Evolution

Unless, perhaps, the silt of ages has covered their haunts and these ancient spectres are still going their ghostly rounds in what has now become subterranean....
  12. pelgrane

James Burke's Connections

There appears to be a complete collection of the videos available on the internet archive: https://archive.org/details/ConnectionsByJamesBurke/. I assume this is not copyright infringing - however mods please remove the link if you feel otherwise.
  13. pelgrane

Mystery Booms From The Sky (Skyquakes)

Here (https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/0031-9112/28/4/025) is the article from the University of Bristol research regarding the Somerset Bumps. Unfortunately you will need an institutional login to access the full text article - but the abstract is readable without login.
  14. pelgrane

Forum Functions & Functionality: Technical Problems & Known Issues

Hmm, it seems speedier this morning and admittedly I am now browsing on a PC as compared to a phone - but I've noticed that the google analytic / google tag manager scripts add about a third to the page load time, if that's of any help.
  15. pelgrane

Taking Trips

Apologies for the non-sequitur. I considered for a while which thread to put this in. Nothing seemed particularly apt, but this one came out on top. Mods - please feel free to move or delete as takes your fancy. Which you will do anyway, without this prompting :) So ..... long time lurker -...
Back