• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. Sollywos

The Scariest Moment Of Your Life (Fortean Or Not)

Missed this comment earlier! Well I for one do, real and electronic. Oh the joy of being able to buy books for my kindle in the middle of the night! I do still find myself preferring to go into a bookshop rather than shop for clothes and stuff. I feel insecure if I haven't got a big pile of...
  2. Sollywos

Oh @merricat what can I say to that ... I had to laugh but it made me feel better that it's not just me who freezes in a crisis. Mind you getting someone else to clean up a mess if you can get away with it is always a good option. In my case, above, I paid my neighbours partner who was a window...
  3. Sollywos

I've read your account of this before @Swifty and as before I'm amazed about your adventurous life and what you've done to survive. It seems to me that your inbuilt instinct to help others has led you into an awful lot of scrapes. Stay safe my Fortean friend and write that book!!!!
  4. Sollywos

I'd agree with that but it sounds like you actually did the right thing! So well done for that! Not my most scarey moment but one that taught me that I'd been wrong about the notion that in a crisis some higher part of my self would take over and do the wise thing. Back in the days when if you...
  5. Sollywos

Animal Escapes

Good thing that they were caught before anyone was really seriously hurt. i'd read that it was a sudden noicse from a building site that had spooked them. Seems surprising considering they were military horses ... perhaps they were in the early stages of their training?
  6. Sollywos

Toilet Talk

I think I'll spare myself that thankyou! That poor woman what a nightmare. btw Am I the only one that can see a lion cub in the mess of the toilet seat?
  7. Sollywos

A 'Classic' UFO Photo That I Can't Find

Well the supposed UFO is rather hat like so it's understandable you'd mis remember! I think it could be a cloud but the 'echo' tilted down at an angle seems a bit odd. The people don't give the impression of looking in the right direction perhaps they were looking at something else and the...
  8. Sollywos

Fortean Headlines

I know, well that or the other thing or even putting in your wet shoes to help dry them out! The only reason I know it's so awful is that back in the day when I was doing B&B one of my guests had left a copy in their room. As I was getting tired of changing the sheets and hoovering etc I sat on...
  9. Sollywos

The Optical Illusions Thread

I knew what it was ... I've got one somewhere but I keep forgetting to use it.
  10. Sollywos

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I also had to look up 'silo tours' although I'd taken a guess what they might be after discounting @Iris being a health and safety inspector! Wow most impressive. @escargot, good grief what a grim story. YIKES!
  11. Sollywos

People Who Just Disappear (Go Missing)

There's a lot to be said for never having owned a mobile phone! Ok I get that the camera function might be useful ... but there again knowing me by the time I'd remembered how to use it the scene would have changed ha! ha! That I can walk round the house with my land line is handy but that's...
  12. Sollywos

Depression

I was once given the 'handy tip' to deal with insomnia ... get up and do the ironing. If like me you don't do it anyway that's going to be as much help to you as it was to me! All the problems in the world are waiting to assault in the middle of the night. That overwhelming combination of the...
  13. Sollywos

Conspiracy Theorists Think The Eclipse Will Begin A 'Massive Human Sacrifice Event'

Oh I'd agree in this case in seems pretty self evident!
  14. Sollywos

Conspiracy Theorists Think The Eclipse Will Begin A 'Massive Human Sacrifice Event'

That is just so sad. The nine year old may have escaped physical injury but having seen the stabbing as well she's certainly not escaped mental injury. I hope she's getting expert care poor thing. I wonder how much of all this sort of stuff is to do with a mental illness and how much is just...
  15. Sollywos

Missing In Action: Members Who've Gone Silent / Haven't Been Seen For Some Time

I'm so sorry to hear about your mum @Venkmans on the case what a sad time you've been having. You'll never stop missing her but in time you'll find ways of dealing with it. Meanwhile just deal with one day at a time. We'll be pleased to hear about the recent paranormal stuff once you are good...
  16. Sollywos

What's The Most Boring Fortean Subject?

Yeah but yeah ... my great grandmother as a young women sometime in the late 1800s early 1900's was sitting on a beach not far from where you are now (I don't actually know which one but Cromer or Hunstanton were places she favoured) when she was approached by a gypsy. She didn't want her...
  17. Sollywos

Yes so did I ... thankyou very much @Floyd ... not!!
  18. Sollywos

I expect they are fed up with the Quinquireme, with it's cargo of luxury goods, taking so long to get there from distant Ophir. I'd forgotten about where old Jonah was meant to be going, Nineveh is linked in my mind with the John Masefield poem, one of the few I can remember from school days...
  19. Sollywos

Rub it in why not!! In June 1954 we had a fairly big but not total eclipse here in the UK. The sun was about 75% covered enough to experience the eerie light and the animals going quiet. We were all looking forward to it no special glasses were available so Mum was smoking glass over a candle...
  20. Sollywos

Animal Escapes

Yes the sightings, jokes and complaints about this case have been filling our community fb pages. I didn't believe it at first and thought it was a big hoax. However it seems that the bird really could cover a lot of ground in one day. And yes there were one or two obviously photoshopped pics...
  21. Sollywos

I remember the case very well and still think of her from time to time. It would be good if it could be solved.
  22. Sollywos

Coincidences

Me too! The thing is they can mean whatever you want them to. My friend who is a Born again fundamentalist Christian sees them as handy hints from Jesus. I take them in a 'oh wow, that was neat, nice one Universe' sort of way. Some are more convincing than others and some are somewhat more...
  23. Sollywos

Arachnophobia

Have you named him/her? What sort is it? What does it eat?
  24. Sollywos

What Did You Dream Of Last Night?

Awwwww bless you, I can imagine how you felt. Hope you have a nice dream tonight!
  25. Sollywos

Photos You Need To Really Look At To Understand

It's the texture of the hair itself and the wave pattern ... it just doesn't look long enough. That's a big stumbling block in the way of my 'getting it'.
  26. Sollywos

Ah you see this one is no problem ... easy to get! Dogs are less complicated than humans :)
  27. Sollywos

Thanks @Floyd1 and @brownmane for trying so hard to help me in my despair! Yes I had assumed that the bits outlined in red were her knees ... but I still don't get it!!!
  28. Sollywos

Yeah but yeah but yeah ... I do perceive the part to be at the top of her head and that just make her hair look short!. I'm still not bloody getting it ... seriously wound up now! I mean these things sometimes take me a while BUT THIS HAS DEFEATED ME!
  29. Sollywos

Same as me on the cowboy face but usually it takes a while ...as this one is doing ... duh. Even with your explaination. Thanks! Perhaps if I look at it with fresh eyes tomorrow it will click and then I'll feel stupid!!
  30. Sollywos

Thanks but I still don't get it. I mean it doesn't look like a neck either! It's the parting that's causing me problems in the visualising department lol!
  31. Sollywos

Jesus: Truth Or Myth?

Indeed I've heard it said that rather than 'Christianity' the religion should be called 'Paulinity'.
  32. Sollywos

Glad you didn't hurt yourself @Swifty ... but it did make me laugh ... sorry.
  33. Sollywos

'The Great Global Warming Swindle': Is Climate Change A Myth?

Is this the same one under a different title 'The great global warming swindle', updated perhaps? that was shown on Channel four in 2007? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Global_Warming_Swindle
  34. Sollywos

Ageing & Growing Old

Hi @Mythopoeika and @brownmane ME TOO!! Last Friday I was eating a healthy snack, ie radishes, when I noticed one of the bits wasn't breaking down. On inspection it proved to be half a tooth and then lo and behold I found the other half and a further fish around found two little spikes where...
  35. Sollywos

A Penny For Your Thoughts: Strange Change

Yes they certainly were! I called the florins 'two bob bits' even after they'd all become 10ps lol.
  36. Sollywos

A Penny For Your Thoughts: Strange Change

Farthings were still fairly common when I was little I loved the little wren :) I'm 74 so my childhood was in the fifties. I remember the fruit salads and the black jacks for a farthing each I prefered the former. I've still got some somewhere, the farthings that is not the sweeties!! :)
  37. Sollywos

Ageing & Growing Old

Happy birthday young sir! xxx
  38. Sollywos

Notably Large / Largest Fruits & Vegetables (Guinness Records, Etc.)

I know! I've not had a really tasty tomato for years. Some of them are not quite so bad as others but that's the best I can say. Even the ones I grew myself weren't any better. In the fifties my grandad, who had a small holding, used to grow them in his greenhouse for sale in the local shops...
  39. Sollywos

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Yesterday evening I had the comedian Micky Flanagan on the TV but at the same time was taking a desultory scroll through Face book, when my attention was taken by a post and comments concering a programme hosted by Fiona Bruce the previous night, I read through and was pleased to see that my TV...
  40. Sollywos

So did I and thought 'does she need to be so graphic? however she does have my sympath .... oh ah I see!' Yep get well soon @catseye x
  41. Sollywos

Yes ... I'd assumed everyone could! :) Just goes to show how different we can be in the way our brains work and we just can't assume anything!
  42. Sollywos

I can eat and taste in dreams as well. I'd found a half eaten packet of extra strong mints the other night on top of a wall overlooking an industrial waste land which was being inundated with water and wondering if it was going to stop soon as I needed to walk over it. Anyway I decided I may...
  43. Sollywos

The Crooked House In Himley: The Pub Where Coins 'Roll Uphill'

I'd assume so ...well they should anyway and I imagine there would be an outcry if they didn't!
  44. Sollywos

I can't specifically remember if I've ever had a dream about a light switch but I have dreamed of making and receiving telephone calls. One in particular stands out. It was back in the mid 70s from my mother-in-law saying she had some bad news. I didn't wait to hear what it was and woke up...
  45. Sollywos

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Ha ha don't know what you'd make of me then hunck I water down all alcoholic drinks including 4.5% beers! At least 2 parts water to one part beer! I guess it's a sort of (loosely) homeopathic approach to saving money. I still get the taste and an effect! tbh I never got into drinking and...
  46. Sollywos

Missing In Action: Members Who've Gone Silent / Haven't Been Seen For Some Time

What? You haven't got a laptop on every floor? hmmm not as posh as I thought you were then! When I had a four story house laptops weren't so much a thing but home computers were and there were several on each floor!! Ok ok it was because my house was full of student lodgers ha! ha! (Now that...
  47. Sollywos

Have You Got A Double?

Not being funny Floyd but that must be something that happens to you quite a lot! :)
  48. Sollywos

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Yep all the time! Would be quicker to list the days when I don't feel like that! Yep that's a big part of it but some of it is just general slowing of old age. Tell me about it! Glad I'm not the only one. I have well stocked store cupboards but I find myself in the kitchen turning in circles...
  49. Sollywos

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I think that my dad had no need of the drink because of his fatalism. Apparently he was in a bit of a dispute with whoever was in charge as he refused some advice on sleeping arrangements. Something to do with embedding himself into the sand. 'If ow Jerry had my name on one of them there bombs...
Back