• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. T

Scottish Loch Monsters

on the subject of Morag (to use colloquoial name for whatever may inhabit L Morar) does anyone else remember an edition of Blue Peter from the early 80s where a film was shown of "something" swimming in that loch? Not sure whether any conclusions were ever drawn from this and don;t think...
  2. T

'Six Degrees Of Separation'

A few yeears ago I was involved with the production of a Government commisisoned report which was written by a former Judge, Sir Ronald Waterhouse, who was a prosecution barrister at the trial of Myra Hindley and Ian Brady. So I have attended meetings with someone who has met the Moors...
  3. T

Murderers: How Many Have You Met?

"I probably wouldn't count someone who fought in a war and killed enemy soldiers or someone at Dachau who killed a guard as murderers. Killers yes." Yes, I wouldn't have counted the uncle as a murderer either but, as far as I know, he is the only killer I've met.
  4. T

Murderers: How Many Have You Met?

Very interesting thread... I was best man at my best mate's wedding and one of the other speakers was an uncle of the bride. Almost his entire family had been wiped out at Dachau and he had, apparently, killed at least one guard after the camp was liberated. He was one of the most...
  5. T

Dennis Nilsen's Sandwiches

"I'm not sure whether the rumours surrounding Troughton's death count as urban legends or just unashamedly juvenile filth-mongering." A bit of both I should imagine... another favourite fan pass time is speculating which companion got jiggy with which doctor off screen (aside from the...
  6. T

Lake Watten creature

"I know this one - it was called 'The Trap' and was in a collection of short stories. I'm sure tehy were fiction though and not 'true' accounts. " My recollection was that these were based on true stories, Raven, although the rigorousness of Peter Haining's fact checking is open to question...
  7. T

"It's just been pointed out to me that said interview was where I came across the anecdote in the first place, d'oh. It was a very bitter interview, wasn't it?" Yes, taken in context, Gary Downie's partner had died fairly recently before the interview but, that said, he did come across...
  8. T

Dennis Nielsen "One suggested that he be taken off the coffee rota as he wasn't sure he'd be around for a few weeks." I heard an interesting variant of this example of Nielsen's "wry" sense of humour. A colleague of a good friend of mine who works for Nat West bank had apparently worked at...
  9. T

Lake Watten creature

Lake Creature's revenge Thanks to those who have replied... I would put the story down to an urban myth were it not for the fact that Peter Haining's account did specify a location and a time (early 20s). The account may even have named the officer and his housekeeper. I would have thought...
  10. T

Lake Watten creature

Lake Creature's revenge "He couldn't have made them all up, could he?" This thought had occured to me...
  11. T

Lake Watten creature

After the helpful response to my query about the green skinned children of Banjos, I thought I would follow up with another one from the Peter Haining book of true mysteries. This one concerns a retired army officer who settled near Loch Watten near Caithness in the 1920s. On one of his...
  12. T

Green Children Of Woolpit (And Maybe Spain)

Yes, it must have been a hazily remembered account of the children of Banjos, which as your helpful replies make clear was lifted directly from the story of the children of Woolpit Not sure what to make of the original, the theory that they may have been survivors from a massacre and who had...
  13. T

Green Children Of Woolpit (And Maybe Spain)

Green-skinned Children Hi, I'm a long time browser of but first time poster to this Forum... You seem a very friendly and well informed bunch so I'm dipping a toe in the water with a question. In the seventies, I remember reading several "strange but true" books written by Peter Haining...
Back