• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. M

Weird Creatures Wash Up In Russia [Globsters]

Don't know what to make of this. http://englishrussia.com/?p=251
  2. M

Edinburgh Skeleton

Love this story--especially that there was a conversation and the skeleton asked him a question. No doubt, if remembered, something pedestrian and banal. What did it's voice sound like? Dried leaves?
  3. M

Ghost Hunters aka TAPS

I'm so glad they're back on. The new episode was very enjoyable. It's much better than Most Haunted, IMO. They actually turn the cameras outward, instead of on themselves. Less screaming makeup girls too. Like, none.
  4. M

Robertson Finds Radical Muslims 'Satanic'

Shadow, Public nativity scenes don't bother me. Using a brain dead woman as a politcal football does. Try not to generalize about 'folks like me.' And there are people in this country who favor the death penalty for homosexuals. The 'folks you like,' or are at least defending, have...
  5. M

And while I'm at it, anyone who doesn't think there's an "American Taliban" isn't paying attention. The South Dakota anti-choice legislation, the Georgia anti-gay stuff, the Schiavo debacle, and numerous calls from the radical right for the murder of Federal Judges bears this out. Not to...
  6. M

Really, Shadow. All that "war on Christmas" stuff is bunk, tiresome, and freeperish. The fact is, OBL has at least been consistent in saying that their jihad is about the infidel in the holy land. So, the stupidest thing we could do is think we could bring Jeffersonian democracy at the...
  7. M

Shadow, What Pat Robertson said is not innocuous. It was a carefully worded provocation meant to energise his base; namely, radical Christian fundamentalists. It was as irresponsible and unhelpful as Bush calling the invasion of Afghanistan a "crusade." It is also one in a long line of...
  8. M

Pat Robertson is a braying jackass; a member of the authoritarian, Bush cultist bedwetters club that got us into this mess. He should continue to pine for Armeggedon without the benefit of a media spotlight. Shadow helpfully points out the myriad evil acts carried out by a tiny, despicable...
  9. M

Evil

Monster, I think it's much easier to describe actions as evil, as opposed to agents. Especially when one considers the far end of the spectrum, and the legion crimes of brutality, supression and cruelty visited by one group or individual on another. That's as far as I want to go, to be...
  10. M

Evil

Monster, I think any definition of evil should include malice.
  11. M

The dead album: Spectre of John Lennon to record again...

They should call it "Paul is Dead." John told me to say that!
  12. M

Generations: Do They Describe You?

My impression is sitting on your ass and complaining, wearing stretchy black jeans, and general slacker...ness. Oh, and saying 'whatever.' Although I used to do all of those things* I resented the hell out of the cheap generalization...
  13. M

WTC Demolition Conspiracy

Well, at least we can all agree that the WTC buildings were demolished. What's that? My coat? Okay.
  14. M

A Drink (Or Other Casual Encounter) With The Devil

Well, makes as much sense as this twaddle: I mean, everybody knows that why you hide your legs under a chair! Unless you have a hairy wart on your hammer toe.
  15. M

Evil

I too had a dream in which I felt evil. I had gone down for a nap, but not realized I was asleep. My pillow lifted up into the air, exuding pure malice. I knew it 'wanted' to suffocate me. Don't laugh. If you thought you were awake and that kind of shit happened, it would scare the crap...
  16. M

Ageing & Growing Old

Who has time for TV, what with all the puttering, complaining, tipples of sherry and games of Whist?
  17. M

Friends house continues to puzzle....

Yes, good suggestions. This will definitely go down in the annals of "haunted brass key fobs." Let us know how it turns out.
  18. M

Workington Vampire - Any Additional Facts?

Can you imagine walking by some poor bastard as he tries to remove the nail and bursts into flame? What would you tell the wife?
  19. M

Evil

Come on, OTR--out with it! Didn't have anything to do with the 'brown acid,' did it? :wink:
  20. M

Ageing & Growing Old

I turned 40 in September (the wife says it made me a better person!) and all I've got to show for it is a unassailable beer gut and a nasty new pollen allergy. Oh yeah, I'm hot. Woo.
  21. M

The Dog That Turned Into Green Mist, Cows Standing On Hind Legs & Other Cases Of Gibbering Insanity

At least the dog was polite. You're right, Username, that story could have been some elaborate fable of local politics, completely impossible to understand now. Or just another case of a talking dog.
  22. M

Blood Fall Research

Cheers, Emps. I agonized over the placement of the thread, wept over the loss of "Notes and Queries," and will spare you the impingement of freedom of speech admonishment. :D
  23. M

Blood Fall Research

Hello friends, I'm helping a friend research a book about strange North Carolina. The scope of my investigation is into the shower of blood and meat that fell on a Sampson county farm in 1850 and blood that rained on a Chatham county farm in 1884. I am aware of other, startlingly similar...
  24. M

What Happens After We Die?

Sorry to disappoint, but Buddhists believe in a concept of soul called "annata," which is only a persistent bundle of memory, emotion and desire. The final goal of enlightenment is the annihilation of this inappropriate sense of self. Reincarnation serves only to balance the karmic books...
  25. M

WWI Battlefield Ghosts

What I was saying, badly, was that one theory is that the spook is not aware that he/she is a decedent, and therefore carries on as usual. Nice to see this thread has some life in it, though!
  26. M

Did Ghostly Soldiers Pay Re-Enactors A Courtesy Call?

There's also a good story floating around there somewhere about a similar experience at Gettysburg. Found it: I'd love to see the report on those musket rounds. Sounds too good to be true, alas.
  27. M

Apparently, the spooks didn't evacuate.

Oh God, I hadn't even considered! That's awful and hilarious all at the same time.
  28. M

Apparently, the spooks didn't evacuate.

I always knew New Orleans was full of 'em: Professional ghosthunters or folklorists would do well to collect as many first hand accounts of paranormal activity as possible. Don't look at me!
  29. M

Cross-Species Chat

No it wasn't, and welcome! :D
  30. M

Weirdest Movie Title Ever!

A surrealist film short I've always wanted to see called Ghosts Before Breakfast in which the inmates literally take over the asylum. Done shortly after WWI. The greatest title ever.
  31. M

Films Your Parents Should Not Have Let You Watch

For reasons that are beyond me now I watched Phantom of the Paradise in the theater when I was about eight or nine: totally schlocky, glam 70s crap, but that one scene where the guy gets his head mutilated in a record press freaked my shit out. But it really comes down to seeing the final...
  32. M

Incorruptibles

And so terribly sad.
  33. M

Experiences With The Ouija Board (IHTM)

I've always wondered what Durban poison was, being such a Humble Pie fan. Take some urban noise And some Durban poison Gonna lessen your load... Thirty days in the hole Yes, I know everybody hates them.
  34. M

My Life Flashed Before My Eyes!

Remarkable story. An experience to be treasured.
  35. M

Pull up a sandbag redux...

It's my favorite Smiths album cover!
  36. M

Threadfinder General: Lost Threads Located

Old Thrad! How we used to love pulling his beard on Sundays! I can still hear his hollow laughter as he danced around the plynth without his skin! And now: Remote, inflexible, aloof, He hovers just above the roof.
  37. M

Synchronity, the is-ness of things, and a double miracle

Howard, Inasmuch as your outlook is positive and loving then what you are experiencing is entirely correct. I believe that "fortune smiles on the prepared mind." I would also ask you to consider thaumaturgy, or the mysterious production of miracles: I don't believe in coincidence as...
  38. M

Pat Robertson: God told him it's Bush in a 'blowout'

Actually, he's not really apologizing at all: Think Progress nails it: Wingnuts and the American Taliban are getting more brazen. And crazy. Batshit crazy.
  39. M

possible timeslip; yay or nay?

Ah well. A prophet is never a hero in his own land.
  40. M

Pat Robertson: God told him it's Bush in a 'blowout'

What a dick. Strike another blow for the American Taliban.
  41. M

possible timeslip; yay or nay?

Sorry to go OT, but I love the Zombies and they hail from St Albans. Doesn't their drummer Hugh Grundy own a pub there?
  42. M

Ghost Hunters aka TAPS

My favorite capture from the series! Very spooky indeed. If it was a hoax, whoever did it would have had to be about three feet tall, as the "thing" is about level with the hand rail.
  43. M

The Transdimensional Gas Station

Marvelous story. The very reason I love this board. Aouroborous, you said you noticed car care products in the man's "store." Did they seem contemporary?
  44. M

X-factor hopeful duetting with dead Beatle

I haven't heard any of this stuff, jane! Turn me on, dead man--I mean, can you elucidate?
  45. M

Bigfoot / Sasquatch In North America

FINALLY! I'm going to start holding my breath and will continue to do so until the unveiling of the video. No--until the actual press conference with the beast, who I expect to be at least as communicative and erudite as Kaspar Hauser.
  46. M

U.S. Sizing Up Iran?

You've omitted "winning the midterm elections." I'm not kidding, although I don't believe this was the sole reason for invasion. Just because it's appalling doesn't mean it should be discounted. Since failing to win the popular vote in 2000, the Republicans have done everything in their...
  47. M

U.S. Sizing Up Iran?

Surely this thread should be moved to mainstream news?
  48. M

Steganosaurus Rex or Faces in the Fire

Clearly, we have no choice but to invade Iran.
  49. M

Most Haunted: Bumper Compendium Thread

Yeah, I've been watching it. Good value. There's a ready supply of wallflower makeup girls to stick in scenes ("It's bloody freezing in here") and they're always good for a scream. Not like the presenter though. I hope she wears protective undergarments, as she's in hysterics after...
  50. M

Dreaming When Ill

I'm sick too Technocrat--get better soon!--and dreamt last night that I discovered the switch on my tongue between salty and sweet. I mean an actual toggle switch! It seemed to help my coughing fits.
Back