• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

‘Very Big Flaming Object’ Spotted Spiralling Through Sky For 20 Minutes

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
A “very big flaming object" was spotted spiralling through the sky in Cambridgeshire this week - leaving onlookers dumbfounded.

Gerry Underwood, 55, spotted the mysterious flaming object at around 8pm on Wednesday from outside his canal boat in Stretham, Cambs.

NINTCHDBPICT000577524291.jpg

He said: “It looked like a very thick chemtrail to start with. It looked like a short, skinny cloud.

“It wasn’t moving quickly at all. I’m pretty sure it wasn’t a meteorite, because they are gone in seconds. We have seen hundreds of shooting stars, but this definitely wasn’t that either.

“This was coming down very slowly and spiralling. It started to glow orange, as you can see in the pictures.

“There were flames coming out of the back of it as well. It was really unusual.”

He watched the mysterious object slowly falling for "between 10 and 20 minutes," before it disappeared behind the trees in the distance.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11417113/mystery-flaming-object-spotted-cambridgeshire/

maximus otter

We had something similar to this last year. Two "rockets" someone saw leaving smoke trails. They were planes travelling horizontally away from the observer. It looks like they are falling but it is in fact just getting further away. The fact that the trail is red shows that the sun is going down and will probably illuminate the plane as @Bigphoot2 suggested.

My thought was that the colour was natural and to do with the time of day. I like the plane horizontally away from you idea - thank you.

I would love to have seen it!

There was a lot of excitement over a similar report in the Wiltshire/Somerset area in the last few days. Using FR24's playback facility, a cargo flight from Belgium to the US could be seen at the right time in the right place, and like the example above, it seemed clear that media photographs showed a contrail seen in the light of the setting sun, and being dispersed by upper air winds.

People normally don't notice such things, but now that the skies are largely clear of flights and folk have time on their hands, I'd guess we're going to see a lot of these reports.

Yes. These are contrails from aircraft folks. Particular atmospheric conditions with a setting (or rising) sun occasionally create these unusual sights.

Metabunk reckon they have identified the actual flight. QR8101 from Amsterdam to Chicago.
Cargo planes are still flying.
These flight radar websites are very useful for identifying phenomena in the sky.
qtr8101extendedflightwales-jpg.40439

This one includes a couple of contrail shadows on a thin mid-air haze layer;
nice job!

I remember standing in a field on a freezing cold winter's day waiting for the sun to be in the right position. Photography's fun.

I'm a bit more low tech - I used to have a credit card thingy that showed where the sunrise and sunset would be at various times of the year, got it in a photography mag years ago. Lost it ages ago though so maybe it's time to catch up with technology.

The pic in the field was just a case of being in the right place at the right time.

Back