• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

1936 Nessie film

whoisquilty

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I'm surprised there hasn't been a mention about the recently-rediscovered film of the Loch Ness Monster. Has anyone seen it? Has it been posted on the web yet?

Tell me more. I posted a mention of a film from around that time on a thread a while back. It was supposedly shot by a gentleman after the scorn poured on the subject after 1933, who declared it to be locked away in a legal safe "until the world was prepared to treat the subject seriously" - words to that effect. It was said to be unequivocal (like, yeah, what is?) However, could it be the same one?

Haven't heard anything about a new film, more info please

The film was mentioned on Fortean Times a couple weeks ago. The article, however, has been moved or deleted and I can't find it any more.

It was shot by Malcolm Irvine (the same man who shot the 1933 film). The film was thought lost until some of Mr. Irvine's films (he was a filmmaker) were donated to a Scottish film society.

Apparently, the film isn't hands-down proof. It shows a hump moving through the water. But when shown to the Linnean Society in 1936, no one could properly identify what it was...whether a living animal or something else.

The film was shown on British television a week or two ago. I read that it was to be shown stateside on CNN and MSNBC but I haven't seen it.

The way I heard it, this film was supposed to show something more convincing than a hump? I would like to see it, though? Any luck on the net?

None yet. I've been poking around. A google search yielded NOTHING. The story has been deleted from Scotland on Sunday Online. NOTHING!!

I believe you may have the Irvine film confused with the mysterious film mentioned by Ted Holiday in"The Great Orm of Loch Ness".He wrote of a film described to him by an undisclosed witness.It supposedly was a clear shot of the upper body,neck,and head,filmed by secretive Scotsman in the early 30's.The unknown cameraman had supposedly deposited the film in a bank vault,not to be released until his death.Since he is no doubt probably long dead,I think it's safe to assume the existence of the film is greatly in doubt.

I don't think so, Major. The news story specifically named Irvine and dated it 1936. There was even a still from the film...however, it was only a hump in the photo. There wasn't a head or neck anywhere in frame.

The film in question was shown on TV in Scotland at the beginning of December. To my eyes it seems to show, very clearly, a log being dragged through the water. The film was found in the archives of Scottish Screen and shown on BBC2 as part of a documentary about their archive. I may still have the show on tape somewhere in my shambolic pile of videos. If I can find it, I'll send it in to FT

That'd be great, thanks Calum. My family originates from the Inverness area and I was brought up to believe that Nessie exists. I do believe that there is something there but all the sightings and photos and videos never seem to show anything beleivable at all. It would be wonderful if we could finally see something that just could not be explained as a log or a wave or a upturned boat!

Hi everyone, just to let you know I've found the tape with the film on it, so I'll be sending a copy in to FT. I'm originally from Inverness myself and have seen things in the loch on occaision. I don't think the film is the long lost "proof" we've been waiting for, but it is interesting. There are also contemporary interviews with the witnesses made for a newsreel on the tape, and a modern take on it from Adrian Shine of (I think!) the Loch Ness Project.

The 1936 Irvine film has now been released online by the Scottish Film Archive in a much higher quality version than has been hitherto available. It's also put properly in context for the first time, as an item in a 12-minute Scottish newsreel. Several things about this film sequence scream "hoax", its positioning within the newsreel perhaps most of all - it is placed behind items on a dog that dresses up in clothes and a riveting sequence on a shoe factory.

Anyway, here's the link:

http://ssa.nls.uk/film.cfm?fid=0373&sea ... _fuzzy=yes

As for the mysterious "MacRae film(s)", the full story is available here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IAKpNKhiRo

It looks like a sturgeon. The front portion of the head seems to have a slightly upturned snout.

I have never seen a sturgeon swimming, is there any comparison film footage?

There seems to be fin above the water about 3/4 of the way back but as there is little to give an idea of scale it is hard to say how big it is.

Back