• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

2002 Leonids

A

Anonymous

Can anyone tell me when they are due and if they'll be clearly visible in the UK?

The usual bad luck !!

Mind you, knowing how predictable the unpredictable English weather is, it'll be cloudy on Wednesday morning !!

No change there then !!

Moggadon

Stunningly accurate forecast, Moggadon: couldn't see a bloody thing!
Oh well, I guess I'll just have to wait for the 'and, finally' on the news tonight.

Cloudy this side too - with rain to boot. Pity but will try again next year from a sunnier location.

You were lucky: I couldn't even see the clouds because of the fog! :headbutt:

Couldn't see a bloody thing! :mad:

However, Gemenids arrive next month Wayhey! :)

Forty2 said:
Couldn't see a bloody thing! :mad:

However, Gemenids arrive next month Wayhey! :)
[bluff]I'm not bothering this time[/bluff]
reverse psycholgy ;)

As usual, I saw bugger all . . .:(

Carole

Same here!!!!!

Couldent even see the full moon, tho' the clouds seemed lit up by the moon light......

This report relayed by email - from Jordan!

> Our observers in Al-Azraq desert told me that they were able to detect
>110 meteors by radio (FM band) on 18 November from 23:00-23:59 UT. While
>they were able to see 20 meteors visually from 23:30 to 23:59 UT.
>
(UT = Universal time = GMT - so this was before the expected peak.)

oooh they were great. I got up at two a.m. (actually about 1:30 but I was slow actually exiting the coziness of the covers). I borrowed my brother's spotter scope and mount and drove up into the Santa Cruz mountains. I didn't see a LOT of them, but living in the city makes seeing even one shooting star seem magical. Seeing a dozen in a couple hours was amazing.

I wish I had been able to go out into the desert for the show last night....the way the stars look out in the desert can convince you that the universe really is a wonderous, mysterious place.

Didn't see a sausage. Plenty of meteors, mind you, but no sausages.

Way back in 1981, I saw a fantastic meteor in Morocco of all places.

Bill Robinson

Back