• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

40th Anniversary Issue - any ideas?

DrWhiteface

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
What do you think will be in the 40th anniversary issue? Since they didn't do much for the 300th issue, due to it falling in the anniversary year, the editors must be doing something special. What would you like to see in it?

It might be considered by some to be a bit non-PC, as some of those involved were clearly only barely hanging on to reality by their fingertips, but I'd love to see another collection of the nuttiest (sorry, erm, most differently conventional) letters received by FT. Something similar was done for the anniversary - or something - fantastic reading.

I'd suggest an article or section illustrating how _FT_ has served as 'a' - if not 'the' - venue for identifying and tracking the course of certain Fortean storylines or topics. The objective would be to illustrate both (a) the historical development of the particular topic and (b) how an _FT_ reader would or could have remained abreast of developments through the magazine. The point would be to illustrate the value of _FT_ as a means for staying informed on such things.

I would like to see some of the 'more interesting' letters too.

I think also there could be a vote of the top ten fortean subjects and then look into them in more detail.

I wonder, are there any once widely believed conspiracy theories that have dropped off the radar in the last 40 years - or phenomena that appear to have lapsed, or fallen out of fashion? It would be interesting to know how belief, and disbelief, have changed over the last few decades - if they have.

Not orbs though. Nope - none of that.

Back