• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

A column I found regarding John Edward

A

Anonymous

Sci-Fi psychic's reach predicted to grow
2001-08-15
By Terry Morrow
Scripps Howard News Service

If you've never seen John Edward at work on his incredibly popular series, "Crossing Over," then here's the gist of what he is all about: He is to the spirit world what Ma Bell is to telecommunications.
"I'm like a phone," he says with a thick Brooklyn accent during a telephone interview. "I act as a conduit of energy. It plays through to me. The 'other side' is like a radio station broadcasting a signal. I'm like ... the antenna. I tune in to the signal and play it back."

Those "signals" manifest themselves in almost the same way daydreams do for the rest of us, he says.

"I do not see the energy of the people," he says. "I hear their energy. When I say that, I mean I have to concentrate on what I find myself thinking about during a session."

Debuting two years ago, "Crossing Over With John Edward" has been the breakout hit of cable television. Edward walks through his studio audience and amazes the people with detailed information about dearly departed family members and friends. He tells them he communicates with their energy, something he says he has been able to do since around the age of 12. At 15, after a reading with a psychic, Edward says he came to accept this as a role in life.

He started doing private readings from his home. Word of mouth brought him to the attention of New York radio, followed by national appearances on television and, eventually, the Sci-Fi Channel.

At http://www.Scifi.com, Edward's bio says he was "an ordinary kid growing up on Long Island. He played ball with his friends, ate pizza on Friday nights, had out-of-body experiences and visions of dead relatives he had never known, and predicted phone calls and surprise visits."

That's normal?

"I know it sounds strange, but if I want to break it down to the barest definition, then that's the way I can explain it," he says. "I quiet my mind, and whatever thoughts come in after that ... I discuss them."

Edward's psychic wave is expanding. "Crossing Over" goes into syndication on Aug. 27. On the same day it goes into syndication, "Crossing Over" moves to 10 p.m. Sundays through Thursdays on the Sci-Fi Channel.

"Crossing Over: The Stories Behind the Stories," his latest book, will be out on Aug. 21. It's a follow-up to his best seller, "One Last Time," which explained how he got into the medium business.

Despite his schedule, he says he doesn't talk to the dead daily.

If he did, "I'd be locked up in a rubber room by now," Edward says.

Funerals, he says, turn out to be a "workday" so he doesn't attend many. He believes in reincarnation, too.

"My job, from the get-go, is not about being on TV. It's about educating people about the work that I do. ... After the first two weeks of doing 'Crossing Over,' I discovered that this, to me, is not a television show. I probably drove everyone here crazy. I told everyone (on the crew) that I would honor requests (for a reading).

"As soon as I opened my mouth to do them, I told them ... to get out of my way and let me do my readings. That's literally how everybody is around here. They leave me alone."

Shooting one episode of "Crossing Over" can turn into several hours. Once he establishes communication with the 'other side,' he says, he goes with the flow.

"No one tells me to stop. I keep going until I drop or I cannot go anymore. These people are coming here, and they are honoring us with their presence. It's their (late) families and friends who become the show. I need to do the best job I can to get to as many people as I can."

The show also has a grief counselor on standby to talk to guests for whom Edward reads.

Though he has been in communication with the dead hundreds of times, Edward says he doesn't know what the "other side" is like.

"I don't live there. I live here," he says. "I would not venture to even say what it is like, but I will say this: What I have gathered is that the 'other side' is made up of different levels.

"It's a place where we continue to learn and grow. It's not like we get a harp, a halo, a book of knowledge and a cloud for the rest of eternity. We still have issues to work out."

A practicing Catholic, Edward counts nuns and priests among his supporters.

There are skeptics, of course. But whether Edward is a clever fake or the real deal doesn't hurt his ratings. After two years, it's not even a legitimate concern to be raised anymore. A case can be made that audiences are tuning to him for entertainment more than knowledge.

"I honestly don't think I am misunderstood," he says. "I think 20 percent of the population will believe anything anyone says.

"I think there is another 20 percent of the population that would not believe this even if their (late) grandma showed up in front of them and was cooking Sunday dinner.

"Then there is the 60 percent who say, 'I don't know. Let me think about it.' I think if I am misunderstood at all, that it is from (both of) the 20 percents."

Among the "60 percent" are celebrities such as MTV VJ Ananda Lewis, soap actress Linda Dano, Jade Barrymore and "Roswell" star Katherine Heigl, all of whom have had readings on the show.

Anyone can talk to the dead, Edward says.

"Mediation is the key," he adds. "I pray every day. I don't step out to do anything without praying."

What are you feelings about John Edward or people who claim to be able to talk with the dead? He is coming to Anaheim, CA in October and I am considering going out to see him in person. Along with him will be Sylvia Brown and two other psychics. A full day seminar for the whole family!

:D

Re: A column I found regarding John Edward. What are your fe

http://www.skeptic.com/ has an article about this bloke. Even given their hostility to him, if half the facts they present are true, then Edwards is just another side-show con-man.
I was actually a Spritualist for several years, going once or twice a week to spirtualist meetings where mediums would get in touch with our dead loved ones. I really and truly wanted to believe, but I never saw anything that convinced me that these mediums were using paranormal powers. Time and time again, they would fish for information, ie: "I'm getting the name Joe, has anybody here got a Joe?" Who or what 'Joe' was, was never specified - somebody's dead Grandad, their neighbour's budgie - but somebody in the place could always identify with the name, and it was chalked up as another success for the medium ("How could she know my Dad was called Joe?"). I recognised Edwards' style immediately, when I read the Skeptic article - I'd seen the technique every week in Spritualist churches. So, my advice is, don't waste your time or money on Edwards.

As much as I would love to believe, my more logical part tells me it's a scam. Have you ever seen his show? What does he actually tell these people? Nothing! It's the same old thing: Everybody is just hunky dory on the Other Side. He/She/It (oh, yes, It...he has contacted people's pets on the Other Side) loves you and is still involved in your life whether you know it or not.
His private sessions are $300 a pop and for that kind of money I want to know where the secret family treasure is hidden!

Thanks for you response. I'll check out the article.

I've seen many of JE's shows...and there's something there. He on occasion comes up with the oddest of facts and congruences that were NOT extracted out of prior leading questions. He on occasion comes up with the strange name that fits...

You all would do well to watch perhaps ten shows and then attempt to reach a conclusion.

I don't entirely like the man, and I can't make my mind up whether he's a positive force or not, but I watch....even if it's 95% twaddle, that other 5% might be worth looking out for...

It's the same old "cold reading" tricks that just about anyone can do with some practice. Also, remember that you are watching a television show. Editing can produce just about any outcome that is desired. How many "misses" do you think there are that don't make it into the final product? I'd also be interested to know if audience members speak to any of his "assitants" or fill out any type of questionairre, etc. before the show.

sureshot

Big Fat Money-grabbing Frauds

Sorry to be so blatantly negative about this, but people like this Edward make me wanna throw up. All 'mediums' are frauds, pure and simple. Every last one of them. I have absolutely nothing good to say about them - they're not even talented, they're just leeches who feed off other people's suffering and gullibilty. If you doubt me, do a bit of research and you'll come to the same conclusions.

It's all too easy to pull the wool over the eyes of somebody who's just lost a relative or close friend, but what gets me is why anybody else would believe in this type of stuff. Houdini dedicated a substantial portion of his life to going round the world exposing these fakes and he had a 100% success rate. As far as I know, so has James Randi. In fact, I couldn't imagine anyone not having a 100% success rate unless they're actually dead themselves.

That's not to say I'm dismissive of the whole issue of spirits, life after death, non-corporeal worlds, etc. because I'm most certainly not. It's just the people who make money from others' ignorance and gullibility who get me. They remind me of these TV preachers, dancing around and sweating into their Armani suits and praising God and weeping for all the immorality in the world and then being driven back to their ten million dollar mansion in a stretch limo whilst getting a BJ from the organist (no pun intended).

So, just to be clear, if you claim to be a medium and you're reading this, then I am telling you that you are a big fat fraud

Let's see how many of them sue me.

Just my 2p'th. I recently went along to see a psychic perform. ("Perform" is definitely the correct word to use.) He did seem to get a few bizzare and unlikely "hits", but it was also obvious that quite a few members of the audience had seen him before (and had also had "readings" with him before.) A few things struck me about the performance.

1) He seemed to have a very good feel for demographics. For example "He died quite young. He was 18-25." After a member of the audience said that she thought that it might be her son, he then clinched it for her by saying that it was a road accident. As this is the most common way for a male of that age group to be killed, this came as no surprise at all.

2) When he got it wrong, he would either apply subtle (and not so subtle) shifts in what he was saying until he was again getting nods from the target member of the audience, or he would become insistent that he was right and that they were wrong. "Just you ask your uncle when you get home. He'll tell you..." How many people in the audience would mark this as a failure? Very few I suspect.

3) Things that he said that seemed quite precise were clearly not. At one point he gave a quite detailed description of someone who had died recently. Strangely, at least two quite different people were heard to tell the people in adjacent seats that the "message" was for them.

The overwhelming majority of the audience appeared to have a strong desire for him to be right, and also to receive a message via him (consider observation 3). There was no way in which he could lose. I'm not sure if he was deluding himself as well as the audience, but there seemed to be litte evidence that he was in contact with people who had died.

Lastly, an exchange that summed up the evening for me.

Medium - "Is there a Margaret on the right side of the audience?"

Elderly member of public - "Yes"

Medium - "Your husband passed away just before Christmas didn't he?"

Elderly member of the public - "I don't think so."

Medium - "Are you sure?"

Member of the public - "He was at home watching the television when I left the house tonight..."

Whilst this led to some laughter in the crowd (mainly that the woman could answer "I don't think so"), she was *really* trying to think of a way in which the medium's statement could possibly be true.

Perhaps some people really *can* speak to the dead (and get a reply), but I have yet to see evidence of it. (Still, it's a living.)
;)

Annasdottir's post and the Skeptic article says it all really. When you see the JE show you think "They must be cut n' pastin'" -- turns out they are. Reprehensible, as all these people are.

Funny how everybody is so happy and affirming on the other side No "Granddad is still po'ed at you about the stunt with the stripper", just HappyHappy messages. Telling the people what they want to hear.

Of course the bible tells us the witch of Endor conjured the spirit of Samuel for Saul, proving both that this has been going on a long time and that you don't have to be a fool to be fooled.

Just seen the John Edward show on (bizarrely) the Living channel (on Sky digital). He seemed perhaps a little slicker and younger than the psychic that I saw but he still failed to impress. :(

It's all been said already, he is beneath contempt like all mediums. He is so obviously cold reading and tweaking the emotions of bereaved people until they break down in tears, evil,evil,evil........

In one episode he was reading for a family whose sister had been murdered, describing how she felt on the other side, assuring them that her killer would be found...words fail me...

The day that a medium starts to deal in specifics and stops dealing in banalities, 'he says not to grieve. he's happy', is the day that I might, just might, start believing in them.

He does not have "a thick Brooklyn" accent.

Why on earth would he? He grew up on Long Island.

hmshutton said:
He does not have "a thick Brooklyn" accent.

Why on earth would he? He grew up on Long Island.

Why should his accent be genuine when everything else about him is fake?

Sceptic versus psychic

By Xavier La Canna
February 23, 2004

A Melbourne sceptic has lodged a formal complaint with Consumer Affairs he hopes will force American psychic John Edward to prove claims he communicates with the dead.

Self-described "mind-illusionist" Mark Mayer, who admittedly possesses no psychic abilities, but has his own show where he appears to read minds, said he wanted to force Edward to prove his claims or admit his show was a scam.

Edward begins his Australian tour in Perth on Friday. His After Life tour arrives in Melbourne on March 2.

"In the history of spiritualism no one has ever been able to prove that they communicate with the dead," he said.

He believes under section 106A of the Fair Trading Act John Edward will be forced to substantiate claims on promotional material that he communicates with the dead.

"(Edward is) riding on people's vulnerabilities at the worst time in their lives," Mr Mayer said.

Mr Mayer said a disclaimer that appears on John Edward's television show Crossing Over showed the opinion of Edward was not intended to be "a factual statement in any way whatsoever" and "was intended as entertainment" yet he promoted his show as a genuine communication with the dead.

Mr Mayer has asked that Mr Edward announce his show is entertainment only in the print, television and internet media, and make refunds available for ticket holders who believe they were misled by the show's promotions.

A spokesperson for John Edward could not be contacted yesterday.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/02/23/1077384671735.html

Mark Mayer's complaint to Consumer Affairs

February 23, 2004

Here is the text of the letter written to Consumer Affairs Minister John Lenders from Mark Mayer:

Dear Mr Lenders

John Edward - Afterlife Tour March 2004

I am writing to you concerning a very serious matter of consumer protection.

John Edward, the famous American TV "psychic medium" will be touring Australia from 27 February to 7 March 2004 performing seven shows. I will be attending the performance in Melbourne on Tuesday, 2 March 2004.

In his 2½ hour show he claims to "communicate with the world beyond" and to "connect people in the physical world with the loved ones in the after life". In his own words on countless occasions he states very candidly that he talks with the dead (people and animals).

His television show, Crossing Over, which airs on Channel 10 and on Arena on Foxtel, presents a very clear disclaimer in the end credits (actually only on screen for three seconds). The ninety words of legal speak very clearly states that the show is fiction and not true facts. "… the program … (is) not meant to be factual in any way whatsoever and intended as entertainment".5

Nothing in the promotion of this Australian Tour (Tickets, Ticketek site, Hay House Australia Web Site, Television Advertising, Rod Laver Arena Web Site) contain any such disclaimer. No one who has purchased a ticket in this country has been given the opportunity to decide to buy with the full knowledge (warning) that this show is "entertainment only" and not real. The promotion of this tour in fact states the opposite. "… he connects people in the physical world with loved ones in the after life …" The statements promoting the live Australian shows (print, television and internet) promote the service of real communication with the dead.

If this is in fact true (John Edward actually talks with the dead) then as a "supplier of a goods and services" he must as every other trader does in this country, be required to provide proof of any claim in accordance with Section 106A of the 1999 Fair Trading Act .

If John Edward is unable/refuses to provide proof of his claim then the Australian public must be given very public announcements containing the following:
1. Announcements that the show is not real and entertainment only (print, television, internet),
2. Refunds available for ticket holders mislead by promotion of the tour.
3. Comprehensive announcements at the venues to ensure that all patrons, including the distressed, elderly or disabled are communicated to. This would include signage, PA address, before show statement, for those patrons unaware of the above announcements.

Last year over 35,000 people in Australia attended his "shows". People desperate to speak with lost loved ones. Vulnerable people who need to believe John Edward’s show is real. Grief can allow them to be preyed upon by deceptive promotions. As with cigarettes, alcohol and gambling the public must be protected from itself.

Conclusion

John Edward 2004 Afterlife Tour

This is either a genuine service (seminar ) and must:
1. Substantiate his claims in accordance with Section 106A of the Fair Trading Act, and
2. Promote accurately.

Or, this is a show and "entertainment only" and must:
1. Announcements that the show is not real and entertainment only (print, television, internet),
2. Refunds available for ticket holders mislead by promotion of the tour.
3. Announcements at the venues, including signs, PA address, before show statement, for those patrons unaware of the above announcements.

Yours sincerely

Mark Mayer

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/02/23/1077384674130.html

Good - I am in agreement with Lilith (and other posters): Beneath contempt.

Emps

He did win "Biggest Douche in the Universe" according to South Park, so that's good enough for me ;)

My belief is that anyone who does this kind of thing for money is a fraud. :)

Apparently 'the wiggles' (or at least one of them) really, really like J E. Personally I think He is a big, stinking fraud...

Didn't he do that Sunshine song?

Let's not forget the fact that he debuted on the Science Fiction channel!

Contains spoilers!!!

rigmarole said:
He did win "Biggest Douche in the Universe" according to South Park, so that's good enough for me ;)

I have just seen that episode and it really hit home (a tad heavy handed but I know I'd be given the chance).

The transcript is here (I can't be bothered counting the number of times they called him a douchebag):

http://www.southpark.dsl.pipex.com/scripts/scr615.shtml

Good Skeptical Inquirer article (form the March/April 2003 issue):

South Park TV satire skewers John Edward psychic pretensions.

Now that the Osbourne clan has knocked the cable TV cartoon South Park from its place of preeminence in the pantheon of shock and vulgar humor, what's left for the show's creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker to do to deliver a jolt to a jaded national audience? In one of the best episodes in the series, the jolt administered to viewers of the November 27, 2002, broadcast was an unexpected blend of skepticism and debunking in a satire worthy of Twain at his most cutting, with psychic huckster John Edward the focus of Stone and Parker's venom.

South Park has blazed a trail across the cable spectrum since 1997 as a centerpiece of programming on the Comedy Central network. It uses its premise of the lives of four ordinary nine-year-old boys in a hick Colorado mountain town as a starting point for attacks on politics and popular culture. For a program with a reputation for gloves-off parody, the blistering attack on Edward was unusually personal, which somehow made the show all the more satisfying. In the show Edward is portrayed as a thin-skinned, self-serving faker, or, as one of the show's principals Stan so pithily repeats throughout the program, "a liar," "a fake," and "a douche."

Edward became a character on the show as part of a story arc that has dominated this season of South Park. In a previous season one of the show's principals, Kenny, was finally killed off for good, but the memory and spirit of Kenny has hung on to provide more opportunities to depict an increasingly sour view of human nature.

In an earlier episode, Kenny's spirit had taken up residence in Cartman, the most scabrous of the children. In this episode, the presence of two souls in one body is causing Cartman to fall gravely ill, and the show's lone (somewhat) sensible adult, Chef (voiced by musician and actor Isaac Hayes), recognizes that the condition cannot be cured by medicine, but that Kenny's spirit must be liberated from Carrman's body. He takes Cartman and his mother and two other boys, Stan and Kyle, to a taping of The Other Side with John Edward in order to try to communicate with Kenny's spirit. Edward appears and does his usual cold reading and guessing games before a hopelessly credulous audience. Chef and Stan see through Edward's act immediately, but Kyle is beguiled by his bogus ability to speak to Kyle's dead grandmother. Chef admits, "I can't believe I was fooled by that asshole ... they must edit the show down to only show him getting mostly right answers." Chef, Cartman, and his mother go off to seek out another cur e, while Stan stays in New York to convince Kyle of Edward's deception.

Stan journeys to Edward's home, a mansion with monogrammed doors, a butler, and walls covered in portraits of Edward himself. Edward receives Stan after the butler has played a recording of an introduction of him complete with canned applause. Stan asks Edward to admit to Kyle that his act is just all a trick so that Kyle can return to his home and resume going to school with his friends. Edward insists that it is not a trick, and the argument between the two escalates until Edward flees to his panic room with Stan promising to nominate him for the "Biggest Douche in the Universe Award." While leaving, Stan notices Edward's bookshelf and takes a few books down. He sifts through several with titles like, "How To Be A Psychic," "Cold Reading: The Secret of the Psychics," and "How to Convince Women That You Are Psychic! (And Then Have Sex With Them)."

Kyle continues to resist accepting the facts and Stan angrily gives an impromptu demonstration of cold reading on the streets of New York. Passersby, just as credulous as those in Edward's studio audience, are astounded by Stan's "gift," despite Stan explaining how he is just doing a trick. A television producer is in the crowd and he proclaims Stan the next star TV psychic. We cut to Stan being introduced during the taping of his first show. He opens with an explanation that what will follow is a trick. Even though he explains what he is doing step-by-step, his cold reading of the crowd gains him the same swooning response as he got while performing in the street.

After the taping, an incensed Stan confronts Kyle with testimonials and articles he has downloaded from the Internet describing Edward planting listening devices in his audience and using actors as plants to improve his "hits." Edward appears and challenges Stan to a face-off on TV to demonstrate that he is the better psychic. Stan agrees to the challenge as an opportunity to expose Edward. Their confrontation is disrupted by the arrival of a spaceship filled with various aliens. They explain that they have come to take Edward to appear at the ceremonies for the "Biggest Douche in the Universe Award." Edward is whisked away and deposited in an audience with his fellow nominees. Surrounded by blobs, reptilians, grays, and tentacled aliens, Edward glumly sits through the introductions of each nominee. Despite his shrieked denials, Edward wins and the show closes with an enormous-eared, green skinned, Dean Martin-like alien serenading him: "Here he is, the biggest douche in the universe...."

Once you strip away the dirty jokes and name calling, what remains of this episode is a clear, concise explanation of cold reading and how people like Edward exploit the grief of others for their personal gain. However, the show is particularly brave and acute when it depicts people as happy collaborators in the deception. Like the best satire, there is a genuine moral center in the midst of all the sick jokes. Sadly, the righteousness of the anger probably will do little to Counter Edward's popularity. At least Parker and Stone have given skeptics twenty-two minutes of very funny ridicule of a richly deserving target.

http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m2843/2_27/98252921/p1/article.jhtml

Oddly they didn't mention the other book on his shelf "How to 69 Yourself" but that might have been too much to ask ;)

Somoen must alos have had fun tweaking his Wikipedia entry to forever link him with it :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Edward

Classsic and well deserved - like the OJ/Murderer episode.

Emps

Back