• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

A Cry For Help From The 'Other Side'

A

Anonymous

I am hesitating to recount this as it is still very raw in my memory, but I know it is an intruiging story and might even give someone some comfort.

A few years ago someone very close to me made a serious attempt at suicide and as well as inflicting wounds took about 200 Paracetamol. I found him close to death and he was rushed to the local hospital where the doctor told him bluntly he was unlikely to make it through the night.

I was beside myself that night, with no Christian faith to call on. I do have a great friend who belongs to a group that contact the dead (often doctors), to intercede for the living. I was that desperate I remembered my friend's spiritual contacts and I spent hours and hours pleading into thin air for "someone who has died who knows X to help him survive". I just repeated the same thing over and over without any knowledge or experience of contacting the 'Other Side'.

Well, he made it through that night, was transferred to a Liver Transplant Unit where he undertook dialysis and within two weeks was discharged and made a full recovery. The doctors considered it a remarkable recovery as they have known an overdose of only 12 Paracetamols to be fatal, and his blood counts and tests all showed a high degree of toxicity.

What makes this a bit out of the ordinary was that X recounted a strange incident that occurred as he lay in the Liver Transplant Unit. He woke to find he had a visitor by his bed. It was his ex wife's uncle. He recalls saying " I thought you hated being near hospitals" to which the man replied " I'm fine about them now, and I've come to tell you you are going to be alright". Then he left. It was not until he was a little stronger and thinking about the visit that he realised that the ex wife's uncle had died two years before.

thats quite impressive. 200 paracetamol is a lethal dose, liver failiure should have happened within 24 hours. On the subject of the doctors bluntness. I heard of a similar situation where a girl, took a large ammount of paracetamol as a cry for help, not wanting to commit suicide, she didnt realise the danger of paracetamol ( no longer sold in large ammounts over the counter in the uk, for this very reason)He told her she was going to die. (she did) Of course she was hysterical. A very cruel thing to do surely ?

Lets hope he omitted to tell her just how drawn out and pain it was going to be as well. :(

I know, I know, (as an former auxilliary nurse) the 200 Paracetamol overdose sounds decidedly dubious, you'll have to trust me on that one. (He may well have not kept them all down). His local corner shop obliged him by supplying the lot, the Police were not interested. He was a lovely shade of Canary Yellow........

Not only did the nice Doctor tell him "congratulations, you've done a good job on yourself", a gauche young policeman came along and said " I'm told you are going to die, I have to ask you a few questions".

That poor girl, what a hellish end to a life. I hope I have not trivialised the subject, my friend has had another chance at life, either by help from his dead 'friends' or first class medical intervention.... or both. I leave that for you to judge.

My mum's a nurse and I know a doctor as a good friend and both of them have remarked how professional you have to be, and that telling someone they are going to die isn't something you can get emotionally involved in and it is policy now to tell the patient the truth without giving false impressions of hope. You get a protective layer around you so that you don't take it home with you and it's difficult enough trying to be sensitive with the unlucky sick let alone with people who inflict the harm themselves.

My personal opinion is that if you're going to commit suicide you might as well leave yourself available for organ donation - drowning perhaps, God knows. Seems like such a terrible waste.:confused:

Interesting new wave of contempt and revulsion sweeping the country about people who 'self-harm'. The overweight may have their comfort food taxed, they propose pictures of damaged organs on cigarette packets, alchohol bottles may carry warnings about binge drinking....

Nobody is addressing the root cause, distress caused by modern life. I now work in Mental Health and a lot of 'self harmers' have had incredibly miserable childhoods.

No doubt, overworked and distressed nurses and doctors have little time or energy to reflect on this when faced with another time-wasting suicide bid.

I'll tell my mate to electrocute himself next time, it'll mean his organs are nice and fresh.

Chant said:
My mum's a nurse and I know a doctor as a good friend and both of them have remarked how professional you have to be, and that telling someone they are going to die isn't something you can get emotionally involved in and it is policy now to tell the patient the truth without giving false impressions of hope. You get a protective layer around you so that you don't take it home with you and it's difficult enough trying to be sensitive with the unlucky sick let alone with people who inflict the harm themselves.

My personal opinion is that if you're going to commit suicide you might as well leave yourself available for organ donation - drowning perhaps, God knows. Seems like such a terrible waste.:confused:
I quite agree with what you say. However this was a 15 year old girl, and no matter what the hip policy of the day is, this was downright cruel. It was also 20 years ago, so that policy must have come back in fashion again. Knowing the nhs as I do, there is no way in hell a policy or Goverment initiative, or peoples charter,(remember that ? Ho ho) whatever, would have stayed the same for 20 years.

Really weird this - a friend of mine took a load of paracetamol and drank a bottle of whiskey in an attempt to end it all after his life took a downturn.

He passed out, and awoke a couple of days later - of course he ended up in hospital and was told that he had damaged his liver etc....

He's OK now, though and his life is going great - I always think of that whenever I'm feeling down. You never know what's around the next corner.

Back