• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Abandoned, Disused & Ruined Places

Apparently it went bust before they'd put the finishing touches to it so it opened but only has a handful of shops. It has a vast, concrete underground carpark which is equally creepy. It's like thatfirst episode of Walking Dead where Rick goes into the Big City, and at first, all seems well, but then this shambling herd of zombies hoves into view and walk inexorably towards him. You totally had this feeling of being in that split second before the first zombie walked round the corner. Then the shopping centre itself - actually scarier than the carpark.
It does sound like a prime candidate for a filming location.

Apparently it went bust before they'd put the finishing touches to it so it opened but only has a handful of shops. It has a vast, concrete underground carpark which is equally creepy. It's like thatfirst episode of Walking Dead where Rick goes into the Big City, and at first, all seems well, but then this shambling herd of zombies hoves into view and walk inexorably towards him. You totally had this feeling of being in that split second before the first zombie walked round the corner. Then the shopping centre itself - actually scarier than the carpark.
That exact "round the corner" scenario happened in real life when Romero was shooting the original Dawn Of The Dead in the Monroeville Shopping Mall, Tom Savini tells the anecdote at 19:20 in this below link, senior citizens who were into slow jogging and completely unaware that a film was being made turned a corner one morning and bumped into 'three hundred' made up zombies .. many pants were shat I expect ..

Not confined to a single place but; abandoned and disused bikes in China .. a lot of them ..

Here's a drone's eye view of just a tiny fraction of them

bikes.jpg

More of them and why this has happened ..

https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2...iles-of-abandoned-and-broken-bicycles/556268/

What a waste! They're mostly in good nick.

No wonder the earths climate is knackered with such a shocking attitude to wasting resources that this illustrates. We have no bloody chance to stop climate change.

PBY Catalina WW2 air boat that was for sale last year .. she'll do the Kessel run in under 12 parsecs :cool:

Still has the guns! Needs to be in a museum.

Even if they sold the bikes for a couple of quid each they would make something and clear it up, maybe someone could make a sculpture from them, a giant Earth, maybe

Even if they sold the bikes for a couple of quid each they would make something and clear it up, maybe someone could make a sculpture from them, a giant Earth, maybe
Imagine just how many youth clubs would benefit from those bikes across the UK .. and job centres ..

Perhaps this goes some way towards explaining why Trump was wanking on about China so much ? ..

Oh .. wait .. hang on

This photographer found an old matchbook complete with photographs of an old resort so decided to return and take pictures of the locations as they look now (I'd recommend turning the sound off unless you like whiney boy band R&B):

My local oddity....

"HMS Forward"
The Combined Naval HQ Bunker
at South Heighton, East Sussex

“On 27th May 1941 No’s 5 & 6 sections leave Aldershot to commence work on the Naval Shelter at Newhaven and tunnelling operations begin on June 4th”.

In July No. 2 section billeted in Tunbridge Wells send 26 men to Newhaven to assist in the excavation work at what was to become HMS Forward. Further work was done on the construction of an underground observation post at Fort Newhaven leading to a cliff edge platform. (War Diary Extracts)

South Heighton was before the war, a charming quintessential English hamlet. About one mile north of Newhaven port in East Sussex the village attracted the building of a holiday rest home for the use of the Guinness Trust executive members and was know locally as the Guinness Trust Holiday Home. The holiday home was built in 1938 on Heighton Hill with views across the Channel and a pleasant southern facing aspect. It had 16 dormitory rooms, a communal dining room and sun lounge with all apartments having access to a sun terrace and private lawn. A top floor suite housed the resident caretaker. In 1938 it was the height of holiday luxury but its first open season of 1939 was marred by the aggression of Hitler and it never enjoyed its intended use.

https://www.blighty-at-war.net/hms-forward-bunker.html

This one's titled ..

The Lost Dutchman's mine, Forgotten Movie Ghost Towns, and someone returns

Lewis's Fifth Floor. This is a closed floor within the iconic Lewis's department store in Liverpool. Shut off from the outside world for thirty years, the fifth floor housed three restaurants and a hair salon all of which still retained their glamorous decor and fittings from the stores 1950's heyday. The store itself closed for good a few years ago.

Not my pictures, but just the sort of thing that gets my imagination as a short story writer(mainly involving hauntology/timeloops etc) into overdrive.

lewisIMG0322t1-1bri.jpg
lewisIMG0341t1-1bri.jpg
lewisIMG0298t1-1bri.jpg

Lewis's Fifth Floor. This is a closed floor within the iconic Lewis's department store in Liverpool. Shut off from the outside world for thirty years, the fifth floor housed three restaurants and a hair salon all of which still retained their glamorous decor and fittings from the stores 1950's heyday. The store itself closed for good a few years ago.

Not my pictures, but just the sort of thing that gets my imagination as a short story writer(mainly involving hauntology/timeloops etc) into overdrive.

View attachment 10219 View attachment 10220 View attachment 10221

Love the Avatar I'm a massive Ghost Box fan.

The appeal of ghost towns, if I had a million to spare I wouldn't mind owning my own ghost town.

Darkness, death and decay: the eerie appeal of the ghost town
An abandoned settlement in Cerro Gordo, California, could be yours for $1m. But why are we so fascinated by these deserted locations?

Philip Hoare

@philipwhale
Tue 12 Jun 2018 17.35 BSTLast modified on Tue 12 Jun 2018 17.36 BST

Gabbs, an abandoned town in Nevada. Photograph: Alamy Stock Photo
For a cool $1m (£750,000) you can own your own ghost town. That figure will buy you an entire abandoned settlement, the former mining town of Cerro Gordo in the Inyo Mountains of California: 300 acres of land, an empty hotel, a saloon, a chapel and the homes of miners who once dug for silver and lead. In the 1870s, it was a violent place that averaged a murder a week. Nowadays, its private owners operate public tours at $10 a head for thrill-seekers.

From video games to horror movies and dystopian film and fiction, the ghost town comes wreathed with decrepit appeal. Its abandoned state leaves it ready to be filled by our imagination. Time has stopped; nature has started to overtake. The result is both a memento mori and a salutary lesson in our overweening presumption that our world is always progressing. The ghost town shows us the opposite.

etc

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...-and-decay-the-eerie-appeal-of-the-ghost-town

The store itself closed for good a few years ago.

I can remember it in its sixties heyday! Taking a wrong turn on the escalators, I was separated from Mum for quite a while as I explored its massive and confusing expanses. I was captured eventually.

It was still open into the nineteen eighties, though the number of floors was reduced to three, I think. Maybe Liverpudlians still arrange to meet under the "dicky" statue, now the iconic store has shut it doors for good! :)

Yep, saw mounds on the street in Chengdu this past christmas.
As a previous poster has already said, the amount of possibilities they could provide to people in not well off areas around the world instead of just being left there to rot ?.. etc ..

Back