• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Advice on visiting a psychic

KeyserXSoze

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Keyser has booked in to see a psychic for a reading next week. He is 'the best in town' (not just on his adverts, several friends tell me he is very good, too.)

Any advice on how to conduct myself, what to watch for or the kinds of questions to ask?

Thanks in advance.:)

If that was me, I'd just go in, sit down, and say 'Tell me about myself'. A true psychic would thus know what to do next, one assumes, without needing to ask any questions. The questions are the weak link.

why are you going?

that should tell you how to behave.....

Kath :)

Tape the reading.

Then go over it with hindsight to see just how much of it makes sense, and how much looks like cold reading or blustering.

I have never been but I would be very stoic about it and don't answer any personal questions, watch your body language don't react to "fishing questions". I want to go to one for my birthday so let me know how you like it.

On a related topic...

THE PSYCHIC WORLD OF
TRACY HALL & PAUL NORTON

Tracy Hall & Paul Norton - have been described as the UK's most popular young mediums. They travel the length and breadth of Britain demonstrating their remarkable ability to re-unite the living, with the living world beyond....the spirit world. Countless Spirit People have spoken through Tracy and Paul's gifts of mediumship - proving beyond any doubt, time and time again, that there is no death - and that love lasts forever.
…………
http://www.paulnorton.org.uk/

Has anyone come across, these two? They’re doing a show in Huntingdon tomorrow and I think I might go along.

I’ve wanted to see clairvoyance and mediumship in action live for a quite a while now, and though there’s a Spiritualist Church here, it seems a unfair to go invading someone else’s space and possibly criticizing their religion when they’ve never tried to contact you or convert you.

However, if someone is doing a public demonstration and charging for it I reckon its fair enough to see what’s on offer.

Anyone any idea what sort of audiences you get for this type of event?

A nondescript, 40-something bod isn't going to stick out like a sore thumb are they?

I recently attended "an evening of clairvoyance" at the local village hall, price £2, tea and biscuits included.

It seemerd to have been organised by a spiritualist church, and didn't tout any "popular young mediums" so it might not be quite the same demographic.

The audience there reminded me of a c of e congregation (mainly women over 60 and a few derby and joan couples) but rather threadbare, as if they were the poor relatives of the mainstream christian set. The whole thing struck me as rather seedy and funereal somehow.

I stuck out like a sore thumb, I think, but that just seemed to make me a sure-fire target to get ... er ... mediumed ... I clocked both the ... er ... media ... eying me up prior to the start of the thing .... and I think I would have been a bit disappointed if I hadn't been 'done' so it's possible that looking a little out of place will be to your advantage!

My advice?

Spend your money on something usefull.

I'm not against the idea that some people may exibit 'psycic' powers bout most practitioers are a scam.

I second the advice given already, remain as silent as you can, if they get bad-tempered and try to make you talk then you know they're cold reading ( I remember one psychic on the radio angrily snapping at a silent caller 'how can I read for you if you won't talk to me??' ).

I would also do a few things to snare a fradulent medium. If you don't wear a ring on your wedding finger wear one etc. etc.

Lillith said:
( I remember one psychic on the radio angrily snapping at a silent caller 'how can I read for you if you won't talk to me??' ).

:rofl:

At the thing I went to they insisted on 'yes' or 'no' answers only, but in a face to face situation you are positively gushing information whether you speak or not.

I say go, enjoy it, feel the odd frisson of 'wow that's actually a little spooky' if appropriate : I suspect it is what keeps people, believer or not, going to these things : keep your critical faculties intact, but don't try to play Randi and spoil everyone's evening :)

Keyser Soze said:
Keyser has booked in to see a psychic for a reading next week. He is 'the best in town' (not just on his adverts, several friends tell me he is very good, too.)

Any advice on how to conduct myself, what to watch for or the kinds of questions to ask?

Thanks in advance.:)

Lots of good advice given already (especially the "get a tape recording" suggestion).

Please let us know how the session goes.

If everything seems to be going well, and you have been reunited with a favorite uncle or aunte that passed over - ask the medium to get them to tell you next week's lotto numbers. Always worth a dry in my book.;)

And watch out for Barnum Statements. Just because the other person's a psychic, doesn't mean you need to elevate them to a stature of an 'all-knowing' being who speaks in very vague terms.

Oh, and please please please do tell us what happened in the session. I'll watch this thread. :)

Cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances…

Well I trotted along to the Commemoration Hall in Huntingdon. The audience had got up to about 45, mainly women, I counted eight men, five of them parts of 30-something couples , one a part of couple in their sixties, and one older chap with a beard who looked like a ‘seeker after truth (believer)’.
The women included a group of six women in their twenties who looked like they might all work in the same office; two women in their sixties, in black with silver jewellery, a couple of middle-age women on their own; and a group of six women – two in their mid-fifties and leggings, and the others in their late twenties – who seemed to be two mothers (possibly sisters) and assorted daughters.

The latter group were wandering up and down, and something was said at the door where our psychics were taking the money. There was deal of huffing going on among the party, on the lines of
‘…she said to me you’ve been here before.. ‘
‘…I said that doesn’t matter……..’
'…she said I was creating a bad atmosphere…’

At 7:35 Tracy Hall comes to the front of the room.
‘I’m one of the mediums who was going to perform tonight. There was an argument at the door, and because of the atmosphere I an unable to work as a spiritualist medium tonight. The evening is cancelled….

So we trailed back to the door, got our refunds and were out on the High Street, with party of six still huffing about ..
‘…just because one person…'.

I’d been worried about being read as the outsider and hadn’t even taken a notebook with me (taking notes freaks people) –doesn’t seem I needed to worry.

I now have an idea of the demographic for these events, but not what happens.

Just have to wait for the next demonstration…these people other psychics seem to visit Huntingdon fairly often.

Visit completed

I am back from my appointment with mystery!

First impressions: not what I was expecting, but good vibes about whole thing. On first hearing what he said was very accurate indeed.

I have a tape recording of the event, which I will go through and assess. Will post my observations here sometime in next few days.

Keyser "going on a long journey soon" Soze.:eek!!!!:

Thanks to all for replying and I will let you know.

Update

Here are my thoughts on my appointment:

Location: An old house, with weird atmosphere (or maybe just that faded feeling you get in an old place with damp smell).

Reception area: Many crystals and a variety of other new age memorabilia (including crazy earth mother receptionist).

Room the reading took place in: Low lighting. Much wooden, carved furniture. Two large armchairs faced each other, so we were sitting quite close. The low lighting added to feeling of spookiness.

The reader: Looked a bit wizardy.

The reading was unusual in that the reader sat with his eyes closed for the majority of the session (his eyes were only open at the very end when I asked a couple of questions. So, he wasn’t looking at me.) He asked me for an item, so I gave him my watch, and he sat with eyes shut and just reeled off a lot of information.

I have listened back to my tape and here are the highlights:

Job: He was spot on about both my current job and change of direction I have been thinking of.

Relationships: He was correct about myself and Svetlana (my ex), and one other significant point about that part of my life.

Living situation: He mentioned the area I used to live in (and wish to return to when I can) - it is a bit off the beaten track, and so for him to mention it by name was interesting (he says I will live there again).

The rest was to do with the future, so I don’t know if that is correct yet!

One thing I notice was that he kept vague over timings of future events. He said things would happen roughly in a time frame, but his words give enough leeway or that to mean much longer or shorter.

He avoided being over specific in predictions, also (there was no ‘you will meet a man called Gerald in a black hat next Tuesday at two fifteen‘.) Example: he talked about significant relationship coming up for me - now that could mean a myriad of things: new love, new boss, new friend - and I realise we often hear what it is we want to hear. He say things that did mean something to me, to be sure, but I also project my meaning (what I want to hear and the future I want to hear I have) onto his words.

So I am looking forward to predicted job taking me far abroad for a short time (and to a town couple of hundred miles away). A successful career time, significant relationship and new home in area I used to live. Success and happiness all round seem to be indicated. In fact, he said nothing negative at all
All in all, I liked the experience and it was fascinating to watch him. Maybe I go back in a year or so (if the things he say happen).

Keyser

:)

Interesting that he got your present status down fairly well.

It'll intriguing to see how well his predictions chime with the future.

Back