• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Alternative Evolutionary Theories

marion

Ungnoing.
This is not the same as the creationist vs Evolution argument. What I want to know is- what alternatives to Darwin's theory are there? Does anyone know of any whacky or obscure examples? FT touched on it this month but didn't really go into the alternatives as much as I would have liked.

I can't imagine what an alternative scientific theory of evolution would be like. All the alternatives I can think of involve some kind of "supernatural" power, from a god to aliens.

It's been said before, Evolution is not a theory, it's an observed fact.

The theories come in as explanations of how this process works. Lamarck had Inheritance of Acquired Characteristics, Darwin proposed Natural Selection. Darwin has mostly won the battle nowadays, but (as with all science) there are always details to be debated, and more modern discoveries such as DNA to be incorporated, as the theory becomes more complete and refined.

It may not prove to be correct for all time, but so far there is apparently no evidence that looks like overturning it completely.

I do have an ulterior motive- I'm supposed to be researching an assignment for college where I have to find as many alternative evolutionary theories as I can. Preferably non religious! Though we have already had a lesson on the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Back