• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

An object with a pink tail

A

Anonymous

OK, here's another chance for sceptics to sneer at my photos. :) I took this one two days ago. While walking home from a bus stop in the evening I looked in the direction of the mountains and saw a short pink trail hanging over a ridge. It was hanging there motionless for the full ten or twelve minutes it takes me to get home. When I grabbed my camera and went out into the yard, it was still hanging in the same spot. First I looked at it through the binoculars I discerned a tiny white object in front of the pink trail. Then I took 5 or 6 photos but this one is the best. After several minutes of hanging still it then slowly began to lose altitude and disappeared behind the ridge. Its appearance was the same during the whole period.
I've cropped the pic to keep at least some of the resolution (in the original 700KB the pink trail looks much clearer).
Don't tell me it was a plane because dozens of them fly over my n'hood daily and none of them tend to hang still for at least 15 minutes.

First of all, no-one's sneering at your photos elsewhere - and scepticism (as opposed to Skepticism) is as essential a part of Forteanism as open-mindedness.

You present photos to us for discussion: we discuss them. It's what we do. To accept a picture as being a bona fide mystery object we have to first ascertain whether or not there are credibly mundane explanations :).

The pink tailed object: what time of day was this, i.e. how close to sunset? And in what direction was it relative to your position?

Ok, Mr Neville, got your point. My remark was good-natured, in the first place.

It was between 6 and 7 in the evening, as it gets dark early now. Pretty close to sunset but to the north. As to its relation to my position, at about 45 degrees. And it looked as if it was pointed down.

Great story and I love the picture. I have no idea what it could have been though, but keep posting any more pictures.

It looks like a jet creating a contrail, only part of which is reflecting the sun (not surpising if the sun is low in the sky)...

That would make sense and the slow disappearing would be as it went over the horizon, taking into account the curvature of the earth.

Flying Penguin said:
OK, here's another chance for sceptics to sneer at my photos. :)

How do you expect me to sneer sceptically when I can't see anything in the photo?!? :)

I was waiting for someone else to say that they couldn't see anything cause i thought i was going mad, i can't see anything in the photo either?

I couldn't see anything to start with either but if you look just above the telephone wires, dead centre of the picture there is a slightly pinkish smudge.

How long could you see it altogether before it dissapeared Penguin?

It's the vague pink/orange smudge, just above the wires/cables running through the image - as far as I can tell.

:eek: I thought that was a dirty mark on my monitor ...

BTW -Feen, are you from Cork like?

I still can't see it but from the description it sounds like a plane trail.

PS Lobelia i'm not from cork i'm afraid i'm from the home of Joe Dolan and the Delanney cup for the first time ever wonderful wonderful Mullingar

For all of those having trouble seeing it I have amended the piccy and highlighted the feature.

Thanks for that Elffriend, i know why i had such trouble seeing it, i am very colour blind and frankly even when i look at it now i can only just about see what flying penguin photographed.

Feen said:
I still can't see it but from the description it sounds like a plane trail.

Still looks like a mark on my monitor to me .... :(

PS Lobelia i'm not from Cork i'm afraid i'm from the home of Joe Dolan and the Delanney cup for the first time ever wonderful wonderful Mullingar

But isn't 'Feen' Cork slang like?! :confused:

Joe Dolan :laughing:

Quote from Lobelia

'But isn't 'Feen' Cork slang like?! '

It seems to be though i don't know what for, my girlfriend goes to college in Limerick and every time i go she and her friends keep telling me that feen is slang there to.
As for the great Joe dolan he is Ireland's answer to Elvis Preisley there is no show like a Joe show as the saying goes. Apologys to everyone else for hijacking this thread with talk of Joe i promise i'll get back to the case in hand.

Not my fault Feen (which IIRC is Cork slang for a girl, like) hasn't got PM active ...

Have looked at the enhansed version of the pic, and I'm going to sceptically sneer that Flying Penguin needs to clean the lens of his camera :laughing:

How high up was this thing? ie was it a big thing miles and miles up in the air, or a small thing low down ... ?

Looks like a wisp of cloud catching the last rays of the sun to me.

Sorry.

Min Bannister: "How long could you see it altogether before it dissapeared Penguin?"
I spotted it when I got off the bus and was keeping an eye on it for 10-12 minutes of walking home, plus at least 10 minutes in the backyard while looking and shooting. Sorry, the 32x shot I took looked awful, so this is the clearest one I got.

I don't think a contrail or a wisp of cloud would slowly go down, it would simply dissipate, right? And my camera lens was clean, thank you Lobelia. :)

Anyway, there are so many stange things in the sky being reported that this is not a big deal.

Flying Penguin said:
And my camera lens was clean, thank you Lobelia. :)

OK, so that means it definitely wasn't gunk on your camera lens ... which makes things more interesting :)

Flying Penguin said:
Min Bannister: "How long could you see it altogether before it dissapeared Penguin?"
I spotted it when I got off the bus and was keeping an eye on it for 10-12 minutes of walking home, plus at least 10 minutes in the backyard while looking and shooting. Sorry, the 32x shot I took looked awful, so this is the clearest one I got.

I don't think a contrail or a wisp of cloud would slowly go down, it would simply dissipate, right? And my camera lens was clean, thank you Lobelia. :)

Anyway, there are so many stange things in the sky being reported that this is not a big deal.

FP - use the "quote" button at the bottom right of every post to insert it for your comment. It's a lot quicker!

You live near the sea, right?

It could have been a naval flare.

I was also thinking aurora, but I don't think you've said how far north/south you live.

Back